Biotest

Micro-PA and Appetite

I’ve been using Micro-PA for about 1 1/2 weeks now (As soon as I could get the bottles delivered!). I’ve recently noticed that my appetite is going through the roof! I got up twice last night to eat, after eating my brains out that day. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this effect?

It actually makes sense that if Micro-PA is upregulating muscle protein synthesis rates, your metabolic rate and appetite are going to increase.

Crowbar

Yea I’m the same way Micro-PA has increased my appetite a whole lot

I have been waking up due to hunger many many times this week. Normally on an off day my appetite is way lower, not anymore. Clothes are not fitting and scale is moving up.

[quote]crowbar46 wrote:
I’ve been using Micro-PA for about 1 1/2 weeks now (As soon as I could get the bottles delivered!). I’ve recently noticed that my appetite is going through the roof! I got up twice last night to eat, after eating my brains out that day. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this effect?

It actually makes sense that if Micro-PA is upregulating muscle protein synthesis rates, your metabolic rate and appetite are going to increase.

Crowbar[/quote]

We havent tested this (we are going to) but it likely would increase metabolism as you suggest

I don’t experiment that increase of hungriness here.

I wake up in almost hunger pain, like I haven’t eaten in a while (feels like a day, but I ate right before sleeping).

Same here. Intense hunger ever since starting taking Micro-PA.
I am ravenous if I don’t consume something every 3 hours.

I notice it too. And I also noticed that everytime in my life where I had rapid growth and/or strength gains my hunger increased sigificantly.

[quote]AbsoluteBoxer wrote:
I wake up in almost hunger pain, like I haven’t eaten in a while (feels like a day, but I ate right before sleeping). [/quote]

I can relate to this.

My competition coach recommended the macros and calories I’m supposed to hit per day – they’re maintenance level, neither for cutting nor bulking. When she first gave them to me I thought there was no way I could eat that much. I struggled to get all that food in and every night would end up a couple hundred calories under.

But with Micro-PA, I’m now continually exceeding her recommendation by about 200-300 calories, and I’m always ravenous for the next meal, and I’ve stopped sleeping in because… breakfast.

Something’s obviously going on with my metabolism because I’m able to eat more than ever yet maintain the same leanness (actually looking a touch leaner but I’m a bad judge of this).

With Micro-PA I’m lifting heavier than before and the volume of my workouts has increased by a lot, so maybe the giant appetite is the result of the harder training that I’m able to do. I definitely wasn’t lifting like this before Micro-PA (or Finibars, those are essentials). I’ll be curious to see how my body responds when my coach has me start cutting.

So it’s not just me waking up freaking starving then…

JM

Good thread topic crowbar and I’ve had the same with hunger.It took about a week or so until it came on strong.Also strength is climbing and I’m getting great muscle fullness and pumps that last many hours after my workouts.I didn’t think I could get a better pump than with Indigo-3G and Plazma but I think Micro-PA has pushed that up a notch.

Wow, interesting feedback. To say I’m excited about Micro-PA would be a huge understatement! As a quick note, I’ve gained 1/2 inch on my arms in the last month combining accentuated eccentrics focused training and Micro-PA (for the last week and a half). Interestingly, my legs have basically not gotten any bigger (just barely), but they have gotten even leaner and harder.

So, even here I’d say I’ve added muscle considering I’ve lost no size (a slight increase in size, in fact), but my legs are leaner. My legs are very lean relative to the rest of my body–I mean kind of freakishly so. I carry practically all of my body fat in my torso; it’s always been this way. So, this makes sense as I simply have more developed legs and it would take an intense leg focused cycle to add any real size. My arms, in contrast, have not gotten much direct attention for some time, until recently.

Those are the only body parts I thought of to actually measure before starting the eccentrics and Micro-PA. I rely on the mirror ( and pictures sometimes) basically. Visually, I can see added muscle throughout my upper body-starting to get a little separation between traps, delts , upper chest. I still have too much body fat to see a lot of definition: that will be the next phase–seeing how well Micro-PA helps retain LBM during dieting.

Exciting times!

Crowbar

And it is likely not only due to the fact that Micro-PA increases “muscle building” but also because it directly influence caloric expenditure/metabolic rate.

When I first started using Micro-PA I did notice that I was slightly hotter during my training sessions. I didn’t really make much of it because I adjusted my training somewhat to take full advantage of Micro-PA which meant doing slower eccentrics, a bit higher reps than what I’m used to and more pump work. So I thought that the increase in body heat might have been due to the change in training.

Then I added a second dose prior (60 minutes) to my main meal of the day and I got the same feeling of body heat 30 minutes after the meal as I do during my training sessions.

So it’s either that the protein synthesis does increase body temperature (an increases caloric expenditure to fuel to synthesis process) or that my metabolic rate is elevated. In both cases it means more muscle and less fat anyway so it’s all good!

CT, I think that is very true concerning Micro-PA and metabolic rate. I feel like an eating machine right now, and overall just very “anabolic”. I basically have a perma-pump: with little to no movement or contraction my muscles stay very hard and pumped all the time. Part of this I attribute to the accentuated eccentrics (they do produce a very hard feel to the muscles), but the further increase in caloric intake coupled with no fat gain (even additional leaning) and the perma-pump I attriubte to the Micro-PA.

It’s simply too soon to say anything about muscle mass, but between the eccentrics and the Micro-PA, something is adding muscle! As far as strength, definite increases from workout to workout. Again, some of this is likely due to the eccentrics (as I’m using 2 eccentric days: one at 75%, and one at 80-85%), but I’ve used eccentrics before and feel some of the effect is from the Micro-PA. Time will tell.

Crowbar

[quote]crowbar46 wrote:
CT, I think that is very true concerning Micro-PA and metabolic rate. I feel like an eating machine right now, and overall just very “anabolic”. I basically have a perma-pump: with little to no movement or contraction my muscles stay very hard and pumped all the time. Part of this I attribute to the accentuated eccentrics (they do produce a very hard feel to the muscles), but the further increase in caloric intake coupled with no fat gain (even additional leaning) and the perma-pump I attriubte to the Micro-PA.

It’s simply too soon to say anything about muscle mass, but between the eccentrics and the Micro-PA, something is adding muscle! As far as strength, definite increases from workout to workout. Again, some of this is likely due to the eccentrics (as I’m using 2 eccentric days: one at 75%, and one at 80-85%), but I’ve used eccentrics before and feel some of the effect is from the Micro-PA. Time will tell.

Crowbar[/quote]

I’m glad that you are feeling being in a constant “anabolic state” (constant increase in muscle volumization/hardness). I always feel like a 90s supplement add when I say that, but it’s the only way I can describe it.

I’m seeing the increased hunger too. Heck, I get up in the middle of the night and eat a Finibar sometimes. And remember, I’m the guy who used to be scared of eating Finibars, even pre-workout. “Yikes! Carbs!” Pathetic. God, I love how Indigo-3G and Micro-PA have changed that!

What’s extraordinary is that I’m maintaining leanness, if not getting a little leaner, even while eating way more food. In layman’s terms, I’m hungrier because my body is demanding more nutrition and then immediately putting it to work. I think Christian nailed it – this is how it feels to be in an anabolic state.

In short though, if you are hungry then you need to eat more, including carbs.

Dr. Wilson, I’ve actually wondered about the role Micro-PA would play in decreasing fat mass, because of an increase in resting metabolic rate. I thought this might be the next area of interest for study. I think determining the exchange rate of FM and LBM could provide insight into a sort of “conversion rate” for individuals using PA.

This isn’t my area of research, but I am unaware of any studies that have investigated into the impact on metabolism of losing body fat while increasing muscle mass, which could result in giving a numerical value for metbolic conversion in the tested population. Could it be a 1-1, or 2-1 LBM to FM ratio when using PA? This seems like a logical step in evaluating PA across different populations, maybe even into morbidly obese people, etc.

[quote]itisfinished wrote:
Dr. Wilson, I’ve actually wondered about the role Micro-PA would play in decreasing fat mass, because of an increase in resting metabolic rate. I thought this might be the next area of interest for study. I think determining the exchange rate of FM and LBM could provide insight into a sort of “conversion rate” for individuals using PA.

This isn’t my area of research, but I am unaware of any studies that have investigated into the impact on metabolism of losing body fat while increasing muscle mass, which could result in giving a numerical value for metbolic conversion in the tested population. Could it be a 1-1, or 2-1 LBM to FM ratio when using PA? This seems like a logical step in evaluating PA across different populations, maybe even into morbidly obese people, etc. [/quote]

I’m not an expert in this regard and would like to hear the Doc’s opinion on the subject. But one thing I know is that the energetic cost of building muscle is very high. I’ve read somewhere that the process required to add one pound of muscle can “cost” up to 10 000 calories in energy expenditure. So an increase in protein synthesis, leading to a faster and more important muscle growth might also mean a greater energy expenditure through the muscle building process itself.

I’ve started Micro-PA and Built for Bad circuit 2 weeks ago. I noticed too a increasing appetite but I wasn’t sure if it was a program result or a supplement result. Both will play on appetite but day after day I feel hungrier and I think it’s more than a simple program effect. I already did superhero style program and the increased hunger wasn’t as high as it is with Micro-PA.

I observed fully pumped muscle during the entire day when I do some pump work (assistance work 10 min) at the end of the circuit.

Regarding the “cost” of building muscle, one of the ideas I learned from Dr. Connelly (for those who remember, he wrote some really interesting articles about his ideas long before MexRx went to hell) is that muscle building is not only a very energy demanding activity, but also a very nutrient intensive one. We all pretty much accept the idea that not all calories are created equal.

I’ve always felt an increased need for nutrients–not just calories–when in a highly anabolic state. This increased need invariably manifests itself in cravings for specific foods. This is a sure sign to me that my body requires additional nutrients (along with the additional calories) for building. I hesitated writing this until I was sure it was more than a passing whim. I have a very noticeable craving for more fruit, meat (protein) and, interestingly, dark beer. I say “interesting” because I’m not a drinker–other than a very occasional (Few times a year) beer or mixed drink.

Crowbar