Biotest

Michelle's Log

Well, my hats off to all of you who can finish this. Even with dropping a jean size and losing 7lbs, if I have another shake I am going to hurl on someones shoes. I found that I have been pushing the time between shakes further and further because the though of having one was becoming so repellent. The last one I had, half of it got dumped down the drain.

I need to keep my calories up for training and if I can’t get the shakes down then it is rather pointless. I lost 20lbs slowly, eating John Berardi’s PN way and following the workouts on this site and I will go back to that. I am disappointed that I can’t finish but I just can’t. Thanks Mr.Shugart, it is a great diet and I KNOW it works as I did get some results in the 10 days I did it, but unfortunately I can’t stick it.

I feel confident now that I can kick the nightime eating as I haven’t done it in 10 days so hey, it can be done! I am also more aware of my relationship with food and all the mindless eating I was doing. I was able to exhibit self control in my eating for the past 10 days and I can now translate that into momentary choices so for that bit of self awareness Chris, I thank you.

Pdiddy and KT - I will be watching your progress and I wish you all the best. I can’t wait to see your transformation!

Take care and wishing you willpower!
Michelle

Hi Michelle,

I understand if you feel like you need to stop, and I would totally respect your decision. BUT, I don’t think you should throw in the towel just yet. You may have noticed that I haven’t been very active the last couple of days on these forums, and that was quite honestly because I was feeling bummed out. The diet all of a sudden got REALLY HARD. Two days ago, I was so nauseous and the idea of drinking a shake made me want to throw up.

It was so hard to drink the shakes, and I ended up making them last over an hour. I finally thinned them out to the point that it was basically water, and that made it so I was able to choke it down. But it sounds so similar to what you are experiencing. It really sucked, and it lasted for a couple days. It has gotten better and less tortuous now, and drinking the shakes in a thinner consistency has definitely helped.

I urge you to give it one more shot. Try one more day. Even if you’ve already had some solid food, that’s okay. I believe in you and I think you can do it! It may not be easy, but if you stick to it, you will feel so good about yourself and about your willpower and you will have such a sense of accomplishment.

PS: Good job on all the weight/inches you’ve lost so far! That is so exciting and such great news. And that’s great that you have learned so many lessons already. Best of luck and will power, no matter what happens!

I tried to eat solid food this morning and I was able to eat 1 egg, 2 bites of steak and a strawberry, that was it. I felt nauseous. Is there a point in the diet that everything makes you feel nauseous, including food? I had a shake and still felt like I can’t stand it. I will give it another go KT but honestly…I don’t know. Thank you for the pep talk though…

I vote to keep going too.

Are you giving yourself enough time to get down the shakes? It takes me 1-1.5 hours to drink each shake. I sip them slowly, especially the ones calling for more flax and larger volume of water.

And are you mixing up the shakes differently each time? Combining flavors, adding cinnamon or coffee, more or less ice/water, varying milkshake thickness textures, etc, are a few things I’ve been doing. One shake per day I do the banana and make it super thick, so it tastes almost like pudding.

You can do this!

Agreed with LexST. I forgot to mention that as well…changing the flavors have seemed to help me too.

As far “Is there a point in the diet that everything makes you feel nauseous, including food?”, I think there is, for some people. I did a cursory search about nausea and v diet, and while some people don’t experience it all, for others it seems to be a common thing. One person said they experienced it everyday, but they pushed through.

A big recommendation seems to be to cut down on the flax seeds, since apparently that can be rough for people. As well as drink lots and lots of water, and thin out shakes when you are having a problem with them. Although I totally do the banana pudding thing as well…I think the banana flavor is my favorite!

Here are two threads I found in my short search where people talk about the nausea. I think it’s funny because in one of the threads, someone asks if nausea is normal and Chris says No, it’s not. But doing a search, it looks like for some people it is.

https://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/v_diet_problems

You can do it! I know you can, you’ve done so good so far!

[quote]ktaylor27 wrote:
Agreed with LexST. I forgot to mention that as well…changing the flavors have seemed to help me too.

As far “Is there a point in the diet that everything makes you feel nauseous, including food?”, I think there is, for some people. I did a cursory search about nausea and v diet, and while some people don’t experience it all, for others it seems to be a common thing. One person said they experienced it everyday, but they pushed through.

A big recommendation seems to be to cut down on the flax seeds, since apparently that can be rough for people. As well as drink lots and lots of water, and thin out shakes when you are having a problem with them. Although I totally do the banana pudding thing as well…I think the banana flavor is my favorite!

Here are two threads I found in my short search where people talk about the nausea. I think it’s funny because in one of the threads, someone asks if nausea is normal and Chris says No, it’s not. But doing a search, it looks like for some people it is.

https://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/v_diet_problems

You can do it! I know you can, you’ve done so good so far![/quote]

Seems the HOT-ROX can be the culprit for the nausea also.

Besides, Michelle, you can’t drop out on me. We started at the same time, your one of my v-diet buddies! You would leave a big hole that would be missed. Keep on keeping on!

No it isn’t the HOT-ROX, I was taking it before the V-diet while on PN. HRX makes me literally vomit when I take it on an empty stomach but after food or a shake I am totally fine with it. This is a “the thought of a shake makes me nauseous and I would rather starve” kind of feeling. I had a PN meal last night and was fine, but when I had a perfectly healthy PN style breakfast, I barely got anything in and felt ill while digesting it.

I had my midmorning shake and although it tasted like HELL I did not feel sick afterwards. I have tried flavouring and changing texture (thick is horrible to me). Thin believe it or not it HAS to have superfood in it. I will ask Chris if it will be a problem to spread 1 scoop of superfood in each shake over the day…though because I had two solid meals this week I may be considered as having to start over. I couldn’t do that mentally.

A few thoughts:

If you feel very full and can’t get shakes down, reduce by one scoop of protein per day. That’s within the built-in “wiggle room.”

I don’t deal with with HR on an empty stomach either, but it sounds like you have that covered: just take with a shake.

Are you using the flax seed? If so, make sure it’s fresh and you’ve kept it in the fridge. It could be rancid if not. Natural PB has to go into the fridge too once opened. (You probably know all that, but you’d be surprised how many I’ve seen not take these steps.)

Flax can often be the culprit, even when fresh. Try reducing it or just getting rid of it. Maybe add some fiber to make up for it and a little FA3 if you have it handy.

Play with the amount of water or ice in your shakes. Less or more, to taste.

Yes, using some Superfood in every shake is fine.

Keep me posted.

See, Chris thinks you can do it too!

Don’t start over, just get back on the wagon.

Well there you have it folks. I will keep on going then, adding superfood to each shake, eliminating the flax and lowering the protein amount by 1 scoop spread over each shake, as well as upping the fiber and I will see how she goes. I think using slightly less protein powder will help as will keeping them quite thin.

Thanks for the input Chris.

A BIG thanks to you KT for the encouragement :slight_smile:

Starting measurements March 28th

Height 5’4"
Weight 170lbs
and although I did not measure all the sites indicated I did measure a few…
Rear end (biggest part) 44.5
Belly (biggest part) 39.5
Waist (smallest part) 33.5
Chest 41
R.Thigh 26.5

Current measurements April 7

Weight 163lbs
Rear end (biggest part) 43.5 -1
Belly (biggest part) 38.5 -1
Waist (smallest part) 32.5 -1
Chest 40.25 -.75
R.Thigh 26 -.5

-4.25 inches and 7lbs in 11days

I needed me some motivation.

Hey, no problem! Sometimes we all just need a little encouragement. That’s why I think these logs are so great. Sometimes I experience things and I think it is just me and I should give up, but reading about other people who are experiencing the same thing has helped me know that I’m not alone. I also like that these logs give us a chance to share with eachother what works and what doesn’t. It’s very helpful.

How’d the rest of the day go for you?

I just got caught up on your thread. Sorry I missed so much. I had to go out of town. I am sorry for your struggles but I really do hope you continue. I think you can do it. Mind over matter. Just drink the shakes like a tequila shot. haha.

I guess I have been lucky since the shakes don’t make me sick at all and I always drink them down in 10 minutes or so. But I hope you find something that works for you and keep going.

Hugs… you can do this!

Wow, great results, Bitta! Definitely should stick with it and I’m glad you decided to.

Thanks guys! The rest of my day went great! I was able to keep to the diet and the shakes were MUCH better, lowering the amount of protein powder in them. I just ate my peanut butter from the spoon and it made me feel like a kid again!

I will keep plugging along and see where it takes me. Thank you for the kick in the pants.

Michelle

Way to go Michelle! Looks like you’re well on your way. Nice job pushing through.

[quote]Bittabit wrote:

[quote]bdiddy5522 wrote:
I posted my pics so I was more motivated to achieve results. I don’t want the last picture you all see of me to be me as a fat ass! haha.

But I certainly understand where you gals are coming from too. [/quote]

I have a feeling that it may be psychologically easier for men to post their befores than for women. We have a tendency to criticize ourselves heavily and worry about what others think. Even though I look at others that do post pictures and then read their stories and I feel inspired, I feel shame when I look at mine…funny thing is that I just realized that “shame” is what I feel. Sometimes I wonder “How the hell did I get here?”[/quote]

Turn that shame into fuel for success!

Also when I see a fat picture of myself I have to see who’s in the photo. I don’t feel shame, I feel proud of what i’ve done. So kick this things ass and be proud of what you will do.

[quote]Bittabit wrote:
Thanks guys! The rest of my day went great! I was able to keep to the diet and the shakes were MUCH better, lowering the amount of protein powder in them. I just ate my peanut butter from the spoon and it made me feel like a kid again!

I will keep plugging along and see where it takes me. Thank you for the kick in the pants.

Michelle[/quote]
So glad to hear it! I’ll be checking in on you; keep us posted.

Glad things went better. Keep going! Half way done.

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.