Biotest

Meatloaf for Meatheads

[center] Meatloaf for Meatheads[/center]
The elementary school cafeteria. Nothing made me hate certain foods more than that little lunchroom in Merkel, Texas.

That dump was so bad they couldn’t make a hamburger taste good. In fact, if you’d never had a burger before and you ate your first one in that cafeteria, you’d surely walk out saying, “Wow, I really hate those hamburger things!”

And that’s exactly what happened to me. I thought I hated certain foods because I’d only been exposed to them at the school cafeteria. Turns out those foods are really good; they just sucked at school. Over the years I’ve had to practically deprogram myself.

Take meatloaf for example. This budget comfort food used to make me gag on sight. Just the smell of it, wafting across the playground and into my classroom, made me almost hurl on my sweet-ass Tron T-shirt.

Bur recently I stumbled across a basic meatloaf recipe and scanned the ingredients: ground beef, bread or crackers, onion, ketchup, eggs, milk, seasoning… nothing too awful there. So I scanned a few “healthy” meatloaf recipes. Hmm, nothing too bad there either.

It was time to face the childhood fear of eating meatloaf.

The first try was okay, the second was better, the third was a total fucking disaster, but the fourth? It was just plain good. And full of protein, healthy carbs, and fiber. In fact, it was legitimate muscle-building food. Bodybuilder meatloaf! Success!

Here’s my favorite version so far:

[center]Mexican Meathead Meatloaf

Ingredients

1 lb lean ground turkey
Hefty dash or three of cumin
Hefty dash of powdered cayenne
Big ol’ helping of cilantro (diced fresh or dried)
3/4ths cup oatmeal
Diced peppers of choice
1 whole omega-3 enriched egg or 2 egg whites
Organic salsa
[/center]

Directions

Toss everything but the salsa into a bowl and mix it up with your dirty paws. If you must, wash your hands first, but it’s my opinion that you lose flavor that way. Then pile it all into a 9 inch loaf pan. Cover with thick layer of salsa.

Cook for 50 minutes (give or take 5 minutes) at 350 degrees. Eat with fat-free sour cream if you want.

Variations

1. I like using lean ground turkey since this allows you to get all the protein and all the satiating volume for fewer calories than beef.

I have nothing against beef, this recipe is great with it, but right now I’m working on maintaining summer leanness, so I choose to lose the extra fat calories that come from beef. Feel free to use beef or pork if that fits into your nutritional needs though. And how about bison? That just might rock.

1. I don’t like my meatloaf topped with ketchup. If you do, look for some of that newer low-carb ketchup or an organic variety. Or, make your own. (Google it.)

2. The possibilities are endless when it comes to seasonings. How about Asian flavors like five spice and soy sauce? Then top it with a hot chile paste like Sambal Oelek. That could work. Or Italian herbs with sun-dried tomatoes and pasta sauce on top? That would be easy. Play with it.

3. Use your meathead meatloaf as a leftover user-upper. In the photos you see here, I followed the recipe above but tossed in a bunch of leftover cherry tomatoes. Carrots, chopped spinach, mushrooms… it would all work.

Enjoy, meatheads.

“Before” pic.

Ready for the oven. And my favorite salsa on the planet.

And after.

And plated.

As with our flax bread recipe, these foil loaf pans work well if you don’t have a nice metal or glass loaf pan. But that’s a worthy investment. Mine has a top so you can store leftovers right in the cooking pan.

Looks good, Chris.

Thanks.

Sweet dish, is that sour cream in the bowl?

[quote]pablothesadclown wrote:
Sweet dish, is that sour cream in the bowl?[/quote]

Fat-free sour cream hit with a little cayenne, smoked paprika, and baby bells.

I’m liking these recipe ideas, keep 'em coming!

LR

How was the oatmeal in it? I expected it to be blended or ground at first, though I have no idea what goes in “normal” meatloaf.

[quote]LittleAsianDoll wrote:
How was the oatmeal in it? I expected it to be blended or ground at first, though I have no idea what goes in “normal” meatloaf.[/quote]

You really can’t even tell the oatmeal is in there. Normal meatloaf uses bread or crackers.

YUMMMM! I make something very similar to this and I make them as turkey muffins…makes about 20 of them–raquetball size. Great PWO and grab-and-goes. Actually, I just made some tonight! It’s a staple in my house…always have them in the fridge.

Play with spices and create your own loaf/meatball!!! The last time I chopped up broccoli and put that in with the mix, along with onions. Delicious!!!

Friggin brilliant, why hadn’t I thought of that. I got excited as soon as I saw the title.

I was always used to meatloaf using a marinara style sauce on top. Could probably be done without too much damage.

[quote]EasyRhino wrote:
Friggin brilliant, why hadn’t I thought of that. I got excited as soon as I saw the title.

I was always used to meatloaf using a marinara style sauce on top. Could probably be done without too much damage.[/quote]

Marinara style meatloaf with oatmeal filler is sometimes called Italian Meatloaf. It’s hard to find, yet the only kind my mother ever made. I use grass-fed ground beef, omega-3 eggs, oatmeal, onion, celery, salt and pepper to taste, plus maybe a little garlic or other Italian herbs. Bake with marinara sauce on top. Brings back memories.

You don’t really need a loaf pan, unless the turkey doesn’t stick together well.

I’m looking forward to trying this recipe too. Thanks Chris.

SO making this this weekend.

Horrible idea to look at this when hungry.

Ah-ha! I never thought of using oatmeal as the filler. I like making meatloaf, easy to make, easy to freeze, good “fast food”. I know it’s supposed to be bread crumbs, but in my efforts to reduce breads, I never have bread crumbs or bread around and I’ve tried making it without and it literally just falls apart and doesn’t have the right consistency. So I haven’t had it in a long time. I’ll try the oats, those I always have on hand. Thanks!

[quote]gwenbrumfield wrote:
YUMMMM! I make something very similar to this and I make them as turkey muffins…makes about 20 of them–raquetball size. Great PWO and grab-and-goes. Actually, I just made some tonight! It’s a staple in my house…always have them in the fridge.

Play with spices and create your own loaf/meatball!!! The last time I chopped up broccoli and put that in with the mix, along with onions. Delicious!!![/quote]

Sound interesting!

I don’t think there’s too much different about meatball vs. meatloaf recipes, so that sounds like it would work out well.

350 degrees i assume?

[quote]E99_Curt wrote:
350 degrees i assume?[/quote]

Yes. Sorry, I’ll get that fixed in the article.

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.