Biotest

Meal Replacement w/ Metabolic Drive: Carb Question

In the not to distant past, the carb of choice used in meal replacement powders was maltodextrin. Today we have a couple interesting carb products that might be better choices for meal replacements, namely cyclic dextrin and isomaltulose.

Plazma and MAG-10 have a combo of these two carb sources, cyclic dextrin probably being the greater percentage due to its gastric emptying abilities. This is great for the peri-workout window (before, during, after training), but I’m not too sure how wonderful the gastric emptying is for a meal replacement.

Isomaltulose is basically a slower digesting sucrose (glucose + fructose) that seems to be better for meal replacement if one wanted to add extra carbs, but I’m not sure.

I am starting to use more Metabolic Drive (still use a crapload of MAG-10, that won’t change) and want to consume more carbs with it. Great minds at Biotest: what’s your opinion of the “better carb” to add to Metabolic Drive for the function of meal replacement?

For ongoing meal replacement as opposed to specific nutrition purposes (preworkout, during workout, postworkout) indeed factors such as more rapid gastric emptying aren’t important, as personal opinion anyway. There can be a purpose to isomaltulose too but it’s not actually needed for ongoing meal replacment (could be a fine point within it.)

Unless for some reason, as with a commercial product, it’s necessary for the carbs to be physically mixed in the same shake, I’d go with a side order (so to speak) of slow-cooked oatmeal, buckwheat, sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots, yellow onions, turnips, squash, plantains, many of the legumes, potatoes, rye berries, barley, or rice. (Non-exhaustive list: for example wife just bought yucca, name, and something else I don’t even remember the name of.)

In terms of adaptation over hundreds of thousands of years, humans are undoubtedly adapted to tubers as a significant part of the diet. Not that that proves anything necessarily but it’s suggestive anyway, and in practice they work well.

As for legumes, they’re the only food type where amount of consumption, among centenarians and near-centenarians in multiple cultures studied around the world, is associated with longer life. Not that that proves anything either, but again is suggestive that we’re well adapted to them, despite unfounded “Paleo” assertion that man couldn’t have eaten any legumes prior to recently.

Why on earth they assert that I can’t imagine, as they’re plentiful in Africa and don’t require Neolithic technology to eat. I doubt it’s a matter of reasoned conclusion, but rather one of group-think, though I can’t prove it. But I digress. Anyway, if not swayed by those assertions, many of the legumes have a lot to be said for them as a healthful carb source.

After all this time, I’m still thrilled to get a response to a comment or question I had from Bill.
Bill, I appreciate your thoughts on the matter. I’m interested mostly in “non-side dish” carbs, or powdered carbs as I’m looking for a quick meal replacement I can chug down (business meetings that last…forever; or travel…that last…forever).
From your thoughts, it looks like cyclic dextrin might be overkill, and that isomaltulose could be the winner.

Thank you!

If using frequently I’d probably use a mix of isomaltulose and a maltodextrin. I don’t often use a maltodextrin but when I do, one I prefer is organic tapioca maltodextrin.

Not for any real reason; it’s just the cleanest tasting maltodextrin I’ve tried when dissolved pure in water. Not that the taste difference is noticeable when something else such as protein is included.

A reason for not using only isomaltulose is that on metabolism it yields 50% fructose by weight. This is fine for moderate amounts of isomaltulose, but if it were making up for example most of the carbs of the day I’d consider that too much.