Biotest

Mauritian Green Beans and/or Lentils

A friend of mine from the island of Mauritius introduced me to a dish he called Mauritian Turkey Necks. A delicious dish that had very little in the way of unhealthy ingredients.

In order to V-Diet the recipe a little bit more, and allow myself a healthy meat with a ton of greens, I replaced the turkey necks with green beans (and once with lentils).

The recipe goes something like this:

4 TBL Minced Ginger
4-5 TBL Minced Garlic (or more, depends how much you like it)
1 LRG Minced Onion
1-2 Diced Bell Peppers [optional]
3 Bags Frozen French Green Beans
1 LRG container of Chicken Broth

Olive Oil
1-2 tsp Cumin
3 TBL Curry
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp Pepper
4-5 Cloves
1-2 Chicken Bullion Cubes [optional]

GREEN BEANS:

1. Add Green Beans to large pot.
  2. Add half of the chicken broth to the large pot.
  3. Set to medium and allow to heat up.
  4. Stir occasionally.
  5. If you need more flavor, add bullion cubes and allow to dissolve.

MIXTURE:
While heating beans:

1. Heat 1 TBL of Oil in large skillet.
  2. Add Garlic, Ginger, Onions.
  3. Simmer and allow to soften.
  4. If the mix seems to dry up, add a small amount of Chicken Broth.
  5. Add bell peppers and another shot of oil to help mix flavors.
  6. Once mixture is thoroughly softened, add in spices.
  7. Simmer together, stirring constantly. Repeat step 4 if needed during simmering.

COMBINE:

1. Make sure the Green Beans don’t have TOO much chicken broth left. There should be some to help the mixture to infuse the beans with taste. If it has too much, feel free to dump some or let it simmer out for a while (it’ll add flavor to the beans)
  2. After contents of mixture is properly and thoroughly involved, add to Green Beans that have been heating.
  3. Stir mixture.
  4. Allow some of the broth to simmer out.
  5. Cool.

You can serve alone or on top of a bed of brown rice.

• As mentioned you can substitute beans with lentils if you need more “oomph”.
    ** This isn’t an exact recipe. It’s from the island of Mauritius, and they’re pretty laid back. So feel free to treat the recipe like a Cajun and experiment with amounts and season to taste. To each their own. It’s just a nice healthy way to get some veggies.

Also, please let me know if you try it and how you like it. Or any changes you made, as I’d love to try different variations on the same theme.

Sirref, I really like the combination of spices in your recipe. As I am not a native english speaker: Are the turkey necks you replaced with green beans a: the neck turkeys, the tasty bird or b: some kind of starchy plant I do not know?

[quote]alexanderdokov wrote:
Sirref, I really like the combination of spices in your recipe. As I am not a native english speaker: Are the turkey necks you replaced with green beans a: the neck turkeys, the tasty bird or b: some kind of starchy plant I do not know?[/quote]

Tasty bird. :slight_smile:

It’s absolutely amazing with the turkey necks. The necks add flavor to the recipe and are kind of fun to eat. Plus, they aren’t fatty. But, I wanted a way to get more green into my diet.

So, if you want to make with Turkey Necks (the bird), then just do the same thing to the necks that you do to the beans.

Thank for the clarification, Sirreef. I will give it a try.