Biotest

Matt's V-Diet Log

I’ve been rough on my body for the past 9 months. After doing nothing but party and drink second semester of senior year and that summer, I managed to tear my ACL as soon as I started trying to get back into shape. A surgery and 3 months of limping around later left me fat and out of shape. I’ve decided the V-Diet is just what I need to jumpstart a new, healthier me.

I started last Sunday (1/21/10) and have been going strong so far.

Starting Weight: 205
Measurements (taken today):
Neck 15
Shoulders 17.5
Chest - Upper 39
Chest - Lower 41
Waist - at Navel 42
Waist - at largest 43
Hips - at largest 39.5
Upper Arm - L 13
Upper Arm - R 13
Upper Leg - L 24
Upper Leg - R 23 (my bad leg)
Lower Leg - L 14.5
Lower Leg - R 15

Lets see how this goes.

One thing I’ve noticed this week - while I haven’t cheated/missed a workout yet I have been slacking at other things. Namely I’ve not been doing nearly enough school work or cleaning around the house. Anyone else notice that transference of willpower on the diet?

Day 6. I don’t think I’ve ever wanted a bagel more. Hopefully this shake will overcome the urging.

Weigh in 1: 198 (-7)! I’ll post measurements in a few days.

[quote]mschiffm wrote:
One thing I’ve noticed this week - while I haven’t cheated/missed a workout yet I have been slacking at other things. Namely I’ve not been doing nearly enough school work or cleaning around the house. Anyone else notice that transference of willpower on the diet? [/quote]

Yup. Single track mind over here, too. Absolutely murdering the protocol and just about 100% compliance, but I was supposed to get some school work done today which I decided an hour ago that I was going to put off until tomorrow. Been pretty productive at unimportant stuff though!

Your story’s pretty similar to mine. Partied my senior year of college to death, partially tore my MCL 3/31 of senior year, went out to work in Alaska for the summer and came back at 215lbs. At least we know when to rein it in! Keep up the work on the diet and the other stuff will follow, I’m sure.

Had a great first workout of the second week. I upped my squat by ten pounds and will probably up it again next week. It feels good to get the strength back after the surgery.

In other news, I was forced to watch an episode on tailgating on the food network because my roommates brother was on it. On the other hand, I’ve taken to daydreaming about my workouts during class.

Had my second HSM last night. Went out to a french restaurant. It wasn’t as healthy as it should be, but it was as healthy as I could get at the restaurant. Felt great at the workout today - I should be able to up some weights next week.

Neck 15
Shoulders 17.5
Chest - Upper 39
Chest - Lower 40.5
Waist - at Navel 42
Waist - at largest 42.5
Hips - at largest 38 (-1.5"()
Upper Arm - L 13.25
Upper Arm - R 13.25
Upper Leg - L 23.75
Upper Leg - R 23 (my bad leg)
Lower Leg - L 13.25
Lower Leg - R 14.5

I think many of these measurements are because I’m not very precise as to where I’m measuring… but seeing some progress at least.

Re: non-precise measuring

I realized that too when I was taking my initial measurements. It wasn’t something I had thought of to expect, but now I’m wondering if I’ll run into the same issue.

I’ve come to the realization that I should enter the transition phase about 5 days early I’m going to be cleared for sprinting and plyometric work on the 9th (my last day would be that Saturday) and I do not want to start that on a strict v-diet. I think that starting to sprint just as I start to eat normally (but healthy) will be just the transition I need.

Anyone think this is a good/bad idea? My top priority right now is weight loss, but a close second is being able to play ultimate frisbee when the season starts in march.

Weigh in Day 14 195.5 (-2.5).

Had a mediocre workout today. I switched from DB squats to back squats (front squats don’t agree with my knee) since I was upping the weight beyond what my gym had. They felt alright but I think I was doing most of the work with my good leg. I may switch to single legged stuff next week.

I failed the v-diet. I lost 10 pounds in the first two weeks, a few more in the first half of this week, but I gave into temptation Wednesday and again on thursday. Combine that with an anticipated HSM on Saturday and a planned quit on next Tuesday and I didn’t see the worth of three extra days of interrupted v-diet. I did learn a tremendous amount.

First, a bit of background about myself. I’m a grad student who works a tremendous amount, but mainly from home. I live in a house with 5 other people, many of whom love to cook. I’m also someone who enjoys his vices - I drink a tremendous amount of coffee, get drunk most weekends, and get stoned multiple times per week.

As to why I failed: Every time I cheated involved me feeling like I wanted to puke. Two of the times came from smoking tobacco. I shared a cigar with a buddy of mine to celebrate, and smoked hookah on a separate occasion. Unfortunately, both of these things aren’t easy on the stomach after extended periods of not eating solid food. The other time was just a rough workout. I’m not totally sure what I could have done to prevent that.

Other things to note: be careful with smoking weed. I would frequently end my evenings by smoking a bit, having my evening shake, then going to bed. It was definitely a nice way to de-stress. The munches also helped make that shake taste amazing.

I think that after the first few days, the hardest thing to do was cope with stress while on the diet. My traditional outlets of eating, getting drunk, and playing sports were all off limits. I would only do the diet at some point when I have a good daily routine going and not to much stress outside of my life.

Anyway, I’m going to continue to work out hard and eat healthy and hopefully the rest of the weight will come off.

Too bad about quitting early, but congrats on the 10 lb! I’ve been avoiding tobacco for that reason. It makes me ill sometimes anyway, so I figured that with just shake in my stomach I was asking for trouble. Good to know that’s a correct assessment without learning the hard way.

Good luck with your endeavors!