Biotest

Mark Dugdale Log 1

Thanks for sharing Mr. Dugdale, always interesting to see how a pro does it. I hope you do well this weekend!

To add to bill2’s questions if ya don’t mind, 1) would you consider glycogen depleting workouts to be geared toward fat loss/achieving that “hard” look since your contest is this weekend, and 2) for someone who is doing a LC/dieting phase would you recommend adding in glycogen depletion workouts every so often if they aren’t anywhere near lean, or is that something you would just recommend for those who are cutting and are already fairly lean?

[quote]bill2 wrote:
great Mark …hope for a win for you!
you seem to go a bit low on protein as opposed to other bodybuilders…why?
what are your macros now?
also what kind of results you saw this year incorporating cardio vs the previous years when you relied more on training, secondary workouts and metabolic workouts?[/quote]
Macros while depleting were…

70 carbs
290 protein
20 fat
1,620 calories (ouch!)

Keep in mind this is for 3-4 days only, although the last 3 weeks have been…

100 carbs
300 protein
30 fat
1,870 calories

Just to be honest I felt like I was tracking a bit behind at the 4 week out mark.

In regards to cardio I think 3X/week interval training for 30 minutes served me well. I didn’t feel overly taxed and run down. I also did an hour of hot yoga (115 degrees) 3X/week as well. I love the benefits of yoga and it likely burned a bunch of calories. I still weight trained 6 days per week too.

[quote]daltron wrote:
Thanks for sharing Mr. Dugdale, always interesting to see how a pro does it. I hope you do well this weekend!

To add to bill2’s questions if ya don’t mind, 1) would you consider glycogen depleting workouts to be geared toward fat loss/achieving that “hard” look since your contest is this weekend, and 2) for someone who is doing a LC/dieting phase would you recommend adding in glycogen depletion workouts every so often if they aren’t anywhere near lean, or is that something you would just recommend for those who are cutting and are already fairly lean?[/quote]
Hi daltron,

Glycogen depleting workouts are really only for depleting the muscles before refilling them the week before a contest.

In saying that there is a benefit to what Christian Thibaudeau once called lactate inducing workouts for the purpose of getting leaner. In fact I was reading T-Nation long before I was fortunate enough to join their team. Back in 2009 I implemented these workouts along with heavy lifting days and got super shredded for the 202 Olympia in which I placed 4th.

Lactate inducing workouts are kind of like glycogen depleting workouts in the reps are higher - 15 to 20 and rest breaks are almost non-existent. Almost like circuit training. For example:

Chest press x 15 reps
immediately followed by…
Leg curl x 15 reps
immediately followed by…
Lat pulldown x 15 reps
immediately followed by…
Leg extensions x 15 reps
immediately followed by…
hanging leg raises x 15 reps

Rest one minute and repeat the circuit until you’ve done it for 4 rounds.

[quote]Mark Dugdale wrote:

[quote]daltron wrote:

To add to bill2’s questions if ya don’t mind, 1) would you consider glycogen depleting workouts to be geared toward fat loss/achieving that “hard” look since your contest is this weekend, and 2) for someone who is doing a LC/dieting phase would you recommend adding in glycogen depletion workouts every so often if they aren’t anywhere near lean, or is that something you would just recommend for those who are cutting and are already fairly lean?[/quote]
Hi daltron,

Glycogen depleting workouts are really only for depleting the muscles before refilling them the week before a contest.

In saying that there is a benefit to what Christian Thibaudeau once called lactate inducing workouts for the purpose of getting leaner. In fact I was reading T-Nation long before I was fortunate enough to join their team. Back in 2009 I implemented these workouts along with heavy lifting days and got super shredded for the 202 Olympia in which I placed 4th.

Lactate inducing workouts are kind of like glycogen depleting workouts in the reps are higher - 15 to 20 and rest breaks are almost non-existent. Almost like circuit training. For example:

Chest press x 15 reps
immediately followed by…
Leg curl x 15 reps
immediately followed by…
Lat pulldown x 15 reps
immediately followed by…
Leg extensions x 15 reps
immediately followed by…
hanging leg raises x 15 reps

Rest one minute and repeat the circuit until you’ve done it for 4 rounds. [/quote]

Thank you for the clarification and insight!

Wow, impressive- 4th outta what, 18 competitors at the Phoenix? Dixon looked amazing as well, but, to understand the work & diet that you went through Mark, man, kudos to you! The pictures are absolutely stunning- great condition.

Congratulations Mark! I always stay with the feeling that you could get a better rating. His condition is impeccable. But 4-position of 18 competitors is a good position.

Could you give us details of their diet in the days of carbohydrate loading

Thanks

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/8/4/84bea_ORIG-IMG_20151011_152438.jpg

[quote]oakridge3592 wrote:
Wow, impressive- 4th outta what, 18 competitors at the Phoenix? Dixon looked amazing as well, but, to understand the work & diet that you went through Mark, man, kudos to you! The pictures are absolutely stunning- great condition.[/quote]
I actually ended up in 5th place out of 29 competitors. Honestly, I felt like I brought a very complete and polished physique to the stage yet am never satisfied without a win. Heck, I probably wouldn’t even be satisfied with winning, lol! I’m always looking for ways to improve and via tweaks to my nutrition or training.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/f/f/ff70e_ORIG-IMG_20151010_195805.jpg

[quote]THE WALL wrote:
Congratulations Mark! I always stay with the feeling that you could get a better rating. His condition is impeccable. But 4-position of 18 competitors is a good position.

Could you give us details of their diet in the days of carbohydrate loading

Thanks[/quote]
Thank you. I could complain, but I’d rather go back to the office (gym) and push iron to improve. No sense is whining about that which is out of my control.

In regards to my carb up…

Thursday was my last day of carb depleting.

Friday morning I did some light pumping-type training for a select few body parts and finished with about 15 minutes of hit cardio to heighten insulin sensitivity. Then the fun began…

Meal 1 - Jasmine rice and egg whites
Meal 2 - Jasmine rice, yam, chicken breast
Meal 3 - Jasmine rice, yam, chicken breast
Meal 4 - Jasmine rice, yam, chicken breast
CUT WATER - roughly 5pm
Meal 5 - 5 rice cakes with honey and chicken breast
Meal 6 - 5 rice cakes with honey and chicken breast
Meal 7 - 5 rice cakes with honey and chicken breast

Saturday

Meal 1 - Pancakes (3 large) with jam and egg whites
Meal 2 - 5 rice cakes with jam and chicken breast
Meal 3 - 5 rice cakes with jam and chicken breast
Meal 4 - 5 rice cakes with jam and chicken breast

Prejudging - 4pm

Meal 5 - Bison rib eye with yam
Meal 6 - watermelon

Sunday

Similar to Saturday with finals around 5pm.

Hope this helps.

Many Thanks for the detailed information Mark. You told me earlier that never removes sodium, this is always the same in all competitions. To this day I see many preparers who completely cut sodium, what is your opinion about it?

That amount of carbohydrates per meal? also how much protein per meal?

I think your approach is really simple and effective, you always comes impeccable competition

[quote]THE WALL wrote:
Many Thanks for the detailed information Mark. You told me earlier that never removes sodium, this is always the same in all competitions. To this day I see many preparers who completely cut sodium, what is your opinion about it?

That amount of carbohydrates per meal? also how much protein per meal?

I think your approach is really simple and effective, you always comes impeccable competition[/quote]
Honestly, I don’t weigh or over analyze carbs and protein. I know the rice cakes are about 70 grams of carbs and then I just add some raw honey, so it could be 100 grams/meal. Same with protein. I sometimes do a little less than a breast so I’d guess protein per meal is around 30 grams.

Oh, on sodium I use sea salt all the way until Friday when I cut my water. and then stop salting my food. Sodium is beneficial for filling out and cutting it completely for a long period of time isn’t helpful.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/9/d/9d27a_ORIG-IMG_20151017_120109.jpg

I trained legs last Saturday and man was it good to be back on 4 servings of Plazma!

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/c/4/c422e_ORIG-IMG_20151017_083108.jpg

Pumps were insane!

OK Mark!

I have a question, you cut the sodium from Friday in the morning or after the cut water?

Thank you so much

[quote]THE WALL wrote:
OK Mark!

I have a question, you cut the sodium from Friday in the morning or after the cut water?

Thank you so much[/quote]
I lightly salt until about noon. You need to realize that some of this is highly unique to ever time I compete. You can do the exact plan two times in a row and get different results. Therefore, it requires knowing your body, watching the mirror and adjusting as needed.

Thanks Mark !! logical meeting its focus !!

The secret is to adapt the load and diuresis according to their physical condition at all times.

Thank you very much for the information, as always you are a great example of professionalism

Hi Mark

What is your next goal at competitive level

[quote]THE WALL wrote:
Hi Mark

What is your next goal at competitive level[/quote]
I can’t tell you how much better I feel physically having taken a year between my last two competitions - 2014 and 2015 Europa Phoenix. I had done 9 shows in 18 months leading up to the 2014 Europa. That said, I’ve highly motivated since placing 5th in Phoenix. I know I can get better and that knowledge is a huge gust of wind my sails.

I’m planning to aim for the 212 contest in Vancouver, BC on July 9th and 10th of 2016. It’s close to Seattle so I’ll be able to bring my whole family and some friends. I may consider another contest in that same month - Europa Dallas, Toronto? Depends on the IFBB schedule which should be released in another month or two.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/6/e/6e5a4_ORIG-PicsArt_10_18_09.50.26_2.jpg

I’ve been reverse dieting and am only weighing about 210lbs, but the increase in Plazma intra-workout is providing wicked pumps. Another thing in regards to supplementation I noticed…I hadn’t used Micro-PA while dieting, but just now added it back in. I didn’t “feel” much different when on it in the past, but now it feels like a hypertrophy switch is flipped. Pretty cool feeling lately. This pic was from the other day in the gym…

Thanks Mark! any decision you make, us fans we will be here to support you at all times.

The photo is really impressive

Hi Mark

What is your diet plan right now.

Continues with the cardio