Biotest

Mark Dugdale Log 1

[quote]Nozza wrote:
Hey Mark

Your information here is amazing!! I think we all have learned so much, I know I have about nutrition and training!

I am sorry for the length of this post but I want to make sure I am on the right track with my programming. I have read though all of your log and Amits and have modifed my training to take into account alot of the pricipals that I have found.

Here is my “average” training week, obviously things change ie implements used/handles, machine angles and was wondering if there was anything you would change or modify?

My main goals right now are to add as much muscle as possible. Not concered with strength numbers just size. I am currently 175 pounds at 5 foot 10 and am 22 at around 10-11% body fat. Each session I use 3 scoops of plazma as my intraworkout. (Just for reference my squat is 355 deadlift is 375 and dumbbell press 90s by 12 reps, dont do bench due to an elbow injury)

Monday

Chest + Shoulders

1. Dumbbell Press - 4 sets x 12-10-8-(Drop Set 8-8-8)
  2. Dumbbell Incline Small Incline - 4 x 12-10-8-8
  3. Cable Flies - (1 sec squeeze) 3 sets x 10-12 reps
  4. Cable Flies - (1 sec squeeze) superset with Dumbbell Decline - 3 sets x 10 reps
  5. Rear Delt - 4 x 15 reps
  6. Dumbbell Lateral Raise - 12-12-12 + 8-8-8 drop set

Tuesday

Legs

1. HBBS, SSB, Cambered Bar or Front Squat - 5 sets 12-10-8-6-20 reps
  2. Hip Thrusts - 4 sets x 10-8-6-(12-15) reps
  3. Leg Press supersetted with Hamstring Curls - 15-12-10 reps
  4. Reverse Hypers - 3 x 12 reps
  5. Standing Calves - 6 sets x 12-15 reps

Wednesday

Back + Abs

1. Pullups - 5 sets x 12-10-8-6 + (Pump set) reps
  2. One Arm Barbell Rows - 4 sets x 8 reps
  3. Lat Pulldown - First 6 reps 3 sec contraction - 12-12-12 + (8-8-8)
  4. Seated Row Drop Set - 10-10-(10-10-10) reps
  5. ABS - 2 Sets

Thursday

Hill Sprints or Prowler

Friday

Arms + Shoulders

1. Post Delt Flies superset - 4 sets x 20
  2. Dumbbell Arnold Press- 12-10-8 (8-8-8)
  3. Dumbbell Laterals - 3 set x 24 8-8-8 reps
  4. Cable Laterals - 3 sets x 10 reps
  5. Rope Pushdown superset with Dumbbell Curl - 3 sets x 20 reps
  6. Swiss Bar Bench Superset with Hammer Curls - 4 x 12 reps
  7. Straight Bar superset with Cable Curls - 4 sets x 8 reps

Saturday

Glutes + Hamstrings + Calves

1. Hamstring Curls - 6 x 12 reps
  2. Hip Thrusts - 4 sets first 6 reps 3 sec contraction - 12-12-12-12
  3. Giant Pump Set - Reverse Hypers superset with Hamstring Curls superset Hip Thursts - 15-12-10 reps
  4. Standing Calf Raises - 4 sets x 12 reps
  5. Seated Calf Raises - 4 sets x 12 reps

My quads are a strong point for me which is why i am doing alot of glute and hamstring work to bring it up. My chest and shoulders are a weaker point than my back as well. I dont do deadlifts as my training partner has a bad back and cannot do them so I just dont, I know I really should start doing them again to bring up my glutes and hammies.

Again sorry for the lenght of the post, just want to make sure I am on the right track and thank you for your advice [/quote]
Nozza, this is a pretty impressive program for a 22 year old. Don’t take this the wrong way, but a lot of 20-year-old’s do a lot of stupid shit in the gym, but you clearly put serious thought into your program. Reading it I had some questions which you addressed at the end and makes sense. Sunday is an off day I assume?

My only possible suggestion is to listen to your body. This is a fair amount of volume with intensity techniques included (ie drop sets), thus you want to be sure you don’t burn yourself out of overly fatigue your CNS. Based on your age and Plazma you should be okay. If you’re not gaining as quickly as you like you could probably bump Plazma up to 4 servings on longer workouts.

All the best to you, bro!

[quote]Mark Dugdale wrote:

[quote]Nozza wrote:
Hey Mark

Your information here is amazing!! I think we all have learned so much, I know I have about nutrition and training!

I am sorry for the length of this post but I want to make sure I am on the right track with my programming. I have read though all of your log and Amits and have modifed my training to take into account alot of the pricipals that I have found.

Here is my “average” training week, obviously things change ie implements used/handles, machine angles and was wondering if there was anything you would change or modify?

My main goals right now are to add as much muscle as possible. Not concered with strength numbers just size. I am currently 175 pounds at 5 foot 10 and am 22 at around 10-11% body fat. Each session I use 3 scoops of plazma as my intraworkout. (Just for reference my squat is 355 deadlift is 375 and dumbbell press 90s by 12 reps, dont do bench due to an elbow injury)

Monday

Chest + Shoulders

4. Cable Flies - (1 sec squeeze) superset with Dumbbell Decline - 3 sets x 10 reps

Tuesday

Legs

Wednesday

Back + Abs

5. ABS - 2 Sets

Thursday

Hill Sprints or Prowler

Friday

Arms + Shoulders

Saturday

3. Giant Pump Set - Reverse Hypers superset with Hamstring Curls superset Hip Thursts - 15-12-10 reps

My quads are a strong point for me which is why i am doing alot of glute and hamstring work to bring it up. My chest and shoulders are a weaker point than my back as well. I dont do deadlifts as my training partner has a bad back and cannot do them so I just dont, I know I really should start doing them again to bring up my glutes and hammies.

Again sorry for the lenght of the post, just want to make sure I am on the right track and thank you for your advice [/quote]
Nozza, this is a pretty impressive program for a 22 year old. Don’t take this the wrong way, but a lot of 20-year-old’s do a lot of stupid shit in the gym, but you clearly put serious thought into your program. Reading it I had some questions which you addressed at the end and makes sense. Sunday is an off day I assume?

My only possible suggestion is to listen to your body. This is a fair amount of volume with intensity techniques included (ie drop sets), thus you want to be sure you don’t burn yourself out of overly fatigue your CNS. Based on your age and Plazma you should be okay. If you’re not gaining as quickly as you like you could probably bump Plazma up to 4 servings on longer workouts.

All the best to you, bro![/quote]

Dear Mark thanks for your response!! I have been doing this program for the last 4 weeks and have been making some excellent gains but you are right about the intensity techniques. I did something similar before in terms of exercises and such just without the added intensity techniques. You are right about the intensity techniques though and i may have too much in there atm so I will drop it down to no more than 1 per workout to ensure I dont overly stress my CNS or burn out.

And yes sunday is a rest day for me and sometimes thursday depending on how I feel with my one cheat meal a week coming saturday after my second legs session

Thanks once again for your kind words and suggestions!

Hey Mark. Currently how many days per week you train? Been awhile didn’t see you update your secondary workout log in elitefts

[quote]Nozza wrote:

[quote]Nozza wrote:
Hey Mark

Monday

Chest + Shoulders

Tuesday

Legs

Wednesday

Back + Abs

5. ABS - 2 Sets

Thursday

Hill Sprints or Prowler

Friday

Arms + Shoulders

Saturday

All the best to you, bro![/quote]

Dear Mark thanks for your response!! I have been doing this program for the last 4 weeks and have been making some excellent gains but you are right about the intensity techniques. I did something similar before in terms of exercises and such just without the added intensity techniques. You are right about the intensity techniques though and i may have too much in there atm so I will drop it down to no more than 1 per workout to ensure I dont overly stress my CNS or burn out.

And yes sunday is a rest day for me and sometimes thursday depending on how I feel with my one cheat meal a week coming saturday after my second legs session

Thanks once again for your kind words and suggestions![/quote]
No problem - anytime!

[quote]doom44 wrote:
Hey Mark. Currently how many days per week you train? Been awhile didn’t see you update your secondary workout log in elitefts[/quote]
I’ve been averaging 5-6 the last couple weeks, but plan to stick to 7/week when I begin dieting in about 7 days. I’m actually going to post a secondary back workout that I performed last Friday on here next. I combined some ideas from Chad Waterbury and Christian Thibaudeau.

This is a secondary back workout that I performed last Friday morning at Kirkland Goldâ??s Gym. I wanted to maximize the feel of the targeted muscle group without excessive CNS activation since this was after all a secondary workout.

I got some ideas from this article by Chad Waterbury: https://www.T-Nation.com/training/new-way-to-trigger-fast-muscle-growth

I finished with a metabolic complex designed by Christian Thibaudeau. Here is the workoutâ?¦

BANDED HAMMER ROW 5-4-3â??s

I used the Dorian Yates style Hammer Strength Row for this exercise, performing one arm at a time and attached bands for a better contraction.

Here is what the set-up looked like:

Set 1 x 15 reps with 1 plate (warm-up)
Set 2 x 12 reps with 2 plates (warm-up)
Set 2 x 8 reps with 2 plates + bands (warm-up)
Set 3 x 5-4-3â??s with 2 plates + bands
Set 4 x 5-4-3â??s with 2 plates + bands
Set 5 x 5-4-3â??s with 2 plates + bands

*The key here is to really feel your back contracting. This isnâ??t about moving big weight and the band I used help facilitate the contraction. 5-4-3â??s are performed by holding the weight in the contracted position for a count of 5 seconds, immediately followed by 5 full range reps whereby you end in the contracted position and hold it for 4 seconds, then 4 full range reps, a 3 second hold and lastly 3 full range reps. So you are holding the contraction for 5, 4 and 3 seconds each and doing 5, 4 and 3 reps between each static hold/contraction. I would have filmed this, but was training alone. See the article link above for a better explanation.

WIDE/NEUTRAL GRIP PULLDOWN

Set 1 x 5-4-3â??s with 150lbs
Set 2 x 5-4-3â??s with 150lbs
Set 3 x 5-4-3â??s with 150lbs

*Use a wide neutral grip attachment for this exercise and performed each set as a 5-4-3 as described in the last exercise. Really focus on contracting your lats as hard as possible while holding the weight in the contracted position.

METABOLIC PUMP COMPLEX: Pullover -> Swings -> Stretches

At this point my back was really pumped so I switched to a complex with a stretching emphasis. Here is the complex that should be performed for three rounds:

Kettlebell or Dumbbell Pullover x 20 reps with 40lbs*
Immediately followed byâ?¦
Kettlebell Swing x 8 reps (explosively)**
Immediately followed byâ?¦
Wide Grip Lat Pulldown Stretch x 60 seconds with 240lbs***

*I used a 40lb kettlebell for the pullovers. These are really like ½ reps. Extend your arms and keep them almost perfectly straight. This shouldnâ??t be an issue with lighter weight. Perform slow, deliberate reps touching the kettlebell to the floor and then bringing it up until your arms are about parallel to the floor. Maintain constant tension on your lats.
**I used a 55lb kettlebell and did 8 reps as explosively as possible.
***Use straps to ensure a solid grip on the pulldown bar, but youâ??re not actually pulling it down. Simply sit down, hook your legs under the pad and allow the weight to stretch you for a full 60 seconds.

DONE!

hello Mark
i know in the past you trained dorian yates style, hit,dogg crapp, etc with a goal for every workout to “beat the log” or to up the reps or wheight with a given exercise …
since training mountain dog style how you are able to know if you proggress in wheight or reps on certain exercises
with so much variety from day to day and workout to workout and so many different technics incorporating? ( static holds ,negatives,.etc)

[quote]bill2 wrote:
hello Mark
i know in the past you trained dorian yates style, hit,dogg crapp, etc with a goal for every workout to “beat the log” or to up the reps or wheight with a given exercise …
since training mountain dog style how you are able to know if you proggress in wheight or reps on certain exercises
with so much variety from day to day and workout to workout and so many different technics incorporating? ( static holds ,negatives,.etc)[/quote]
I was never really a slave to the log book. I did Dogg Crapp for only a couple months; which is the primary program that focuses on beating the log book. Most of my career was along the lines of Dorian’s philosophy, although I never carried a log book. The truth is that some days you feel better than others so you go heavier or get more reps. I’m to the point now that I turned 40 that pounds are not as important to me. Rotating intensity techniques, etc keeps my body guessing and it’s more a matter of working hard regardless of what I’m doing while being smart about when to push and when to hold back. Hope this helps!

bill2,

For example I felt pretty good this last Saturday training legs and went up to 10 plates on leg press for 10 reps. I usually don’t exceed 9 plates, but felt good and pushed the envelope a little.

Mark, I would love to get your thoughts on your coach, John Meadows finally getting his pro card this past weekend after 30 years of training… a lifelong goal achieved.

Mark,

What does your post contest diet and training normally look like? I’ll be ending Program 17 from John (Carnage) this week and doing my 1st show on Saturday.

On the diet I plan to just bump up calories 300-500/week until I start getting 'fat" so to speak lol! I’m at 1000 cals below maintenance (Bodyweight x 15) this week until the carb up… so the week after the show i’ll still be at 500 cals below maintenance. Sound ok?

On the training how long specifically do you take off before starting the next MD Program? Like do you do two weeks of nothing then a new program (OR) do you do 4 weeks of “pump” only type workouts then take 1 week off & start a new MD Program…etc…

Thanks!!

-Z

[quote]oakridge3592 wrote:
Mark, I would love to get your thoughts on your coach, John Meadows finally getting his pro card this past weekend after 30 years of training… a lifelong goal achieved. [/quote]
I’m really happy for John. He’s worked very hard for a long period of time. Sometimes bodybuilding is more about being at the right contest at the right time. John’s been a pro in my book for much longer than the last month since he won the Masters at Team U.

[quote]thezukiman wrote:
Mark,

What does your post contest diet and training normally look like? I’ll be ending Program 17 from John (Carnage) this week and doing my 1st show on Saturday.

On the diet I plan to just bump up calories 300-500/week until I start getting 'fat" so to speak lol! I’m at 1000 cals below maintenance (Bodyweight x 15) this week until the carb up… so the week after the show i’ll still be at 500 cals below maintenance. Sound ok?

On the training how long specifically do you take off before starting the next MD Program? Like do you do two weeks of nothing then a new program (OR) do you do 4 weeks of “pump” only type workouts then take 1 week off & start a new MD Program…etc…

Thanks!!

-Z[/quote]
Easing back into things is wise, even if that means one week below maintenance. Too many guys pig out and do more harm than good. If you were disciplined for 15 weeks, what’s another 4 to reverse diet?

In terms of training I’m an addict. I usually go right back into another program, although I try to listen to my body. Sometimes it means I train for a couple weeks with the mindset that every workout is a secondary training session. Regardless, I never take time off after a contest.

My advice is to reverse diet and train for a couple week just for a pump. Let your body acclimate to the increased carbs, fats, etc and don’t go ballistic with the training even if you feel really good as you could set yourself up for injury.

Hope this helps!

[quote]thezukiman wrote:
Mark,

Thanks!!

-Z[/quote]
Easing back into things is wise, even if that means one week below maintenance. Too many guys pig out and do more harm than good. If you were disciplined for 15 weeks, what’s another 4 to reverse diet?

In terms of training I’m an addict. I usually go right back into another program, although I try to listen to my body. Sometimes it means I train for a couple weeks with the mindset that every workout is a secondary training session. Regardless, I never take time off after a contest.

My advice is to reverse diet and train for a couple week just for a pump. Let your body acclimate to the increased carbs, fats, etc and don’t go ballistic with the training even if you feel really good as you could set yourself up for injury.

Hope this helps![/quote]

Yes it does help…Thanks Mark,

Another question for you do you reduce the number of servings of intra workout Plazma when you do the post-contest pump phase for 2-weeks?

I have recently read John Meadows’ “detailed guide on what to do post contest” via the mountain dog site. My plan is to do two weeks of the high-volume low intensity non-failure workouts he outlines there, then either do two more weeks of that or just do some miscellaneous full intensity and volume Mountain dog workouts…just hand-pick some of the workouts that I enjoy for 2-weeks. Then I will be taking off completely for one or two full weeks because I have a new baby boy due and my wife will need me helping out as much as possible with him and our beautiful 18-month-old girl ! LOL!!

I only pigged out one meal the night of the contest and kind of had a free day the day after where I did not go crazy but just ate whatever I wanted on a non-Bodybuilder schedule. Then I got back to a low-carb diet Monday through today (Thursday) and start back training tomorrow, so I will add carbs back in and up the calories a bit. I should be back up to maintenance calories on off days by the second weekâ?¦ And will add in slowly as I see fit, of course workout days will be higher…

Does this all sound good?

Again thanks for the responseâ?¦ Always enjoy getting your insight and glad John finally has the card to go along with his pre-existing "pro"status!!!

-Z

[quote]thezukiman wrote:

[quote]thezukiman wrote:
Mark,

Thanks!!

-Z[/quote]

Hope this helps![/quote]

Yes it does help…Thanks Mark,

Another question for you do you reduce the number of servings of intra workout Plazma when you do the post-contest pump phase for 2-weeks?

I have recently read John Meadows’ “detailed guide on what to do post contest” via the mountain dog site. My plan is to do two weeks of the high-volume low intensity non-failure workouts he outlines there, then either do two more weeks of that or just do some miscellaneous full intensity and volume Mountain dog workouts…just hand-pick some of the workouts that I enjoy for 2-weeks. Then I will be taking off completely for one or two full weeks because I have a new baby boy due and my wife will need me helping out as much as possible with him and our beautiful 18-month-old girl ! LOL!!

I only pigged out one meal the night of the contest and kind of had a free day the day after where I did not go crazy but just ate whatever I wanted on a non-Bodybuilder schedule. Then I got back to a low-carb diet Monday through today (Thursday) and start back training tomorrow, so I will add carbs back in and up the calories a bit. I should be back up to maintenance calories on off days by the second weekâ?¦ And will add in slowly as I see fit, of course workout days will be higher…

Does this all sound good?

Again thanks for the responseâ?¦ Always enjoy getting your insight and glad John finally has the card to go along with his pre-existing "pro"status!!!

-Z

[/quote]
I taper back on Plazma leading into a contest and increase MAG-10, so post contest I go right back to 3-4 servings of Plazma for workouts.

As for training, yeah, listen to your body. Your approach sounds sensible.

All the best!

hey Mark how you doing?
can you give us a litlle uptade of you my friend?
-whats your stats nowdays?

• and if you can a meal plan of yours now before you start dieting?
    whats your macros for now ?
    -what changes have you made in your nutrition in contrast to the previous year,if any?
    -how is your progress since your last contest?

[quote]bill2 wrote:
hey Mark how you doing?
can you give us a litlle uptade of you my friend?
-whats your stats nowdays?

• and if you can a meal plan of yours now before you start dieting?
    whats your macros for now ?
    -what changes have you made in your nutrition in contrast to the previous year,if any?
    -how is your progress since your last contest?[/quote]
    Sure, no problem…here’s an update:

I’ve actually been dieting about 4 weeks now. I started at about 232lbs and am down to 225lbs. Right now my carbs are a little higher than in the past at this point in the diet. Here is exactly what I ate yesterday…

AM Hot Yoga - 2 servings of MAG-10
Meal #1 - 1 cup oats, 1/2 banana, 4 whole eggs.
Meal #2 - 1 serving MAG-10
Meal #3 - 1 cup brown rice, 3/4 cup broccoli, 1 chicken breast
Meal #4 - Whey and egg protein shake
Meal #5 - 1 serving MAG-10
PM Weight Training - 3 servings Plazma (trained arms + 15 HIIT Cardio)
Meal #6 - burger w/lettuce (no bun)

It’s hard to say exactly how changes will translate once I’m dieting down onstage. I have been much more cognizant of the feel when training vs. simply moving weight. It sounds simply, but finding exercises in which I feel the specific area I’m working has been beneficial in my training.

Hope this helps answer your questions!

I never gave this exercise much consideration, but hey…I’m an avid reader of T-Nation myself and saw this in a recent article and decided to give them a try. Somewhat similar to a front squat, but easier to hold the bar and less lower back stress.

This is also a great variation for leg curls…

“I taper back on Plazma leading into a contest and increase MAG-10, so post contest I go right back to 3-4 servings of Plazma for workouts.”

Mark, so, on a prep cut, do you use MAG-10 in place of Plazma as an intra-workout? Or, have you? Since the MAG-10 has the HBCD it seems like it would work as an intra, with the slow-digesting casein it contains- and, as a endo, the 11 g/carbs per serving would be a nice drop for me from the 25 g in most intras. Whaddya think? Looks like currently you are using MAG-10 as a meal-replacement, but, wondering about it as an intra.

[quote]oakridge3592 wrote:
“I taper back on Plazma leading into a contest and increase MAG-10, so post contest I go right back to 3-4 servings of Plazma for workouts.”

Mark, so, on a prep cut, do you use MAG-10 in place of Plazma as an intra-workout? Or, have you? Since the MAG-10 has the HBCD it seems like it would work as an intra, with the slow-digesting casein it contains- and, as a endo, the 11 g/carbs per serving would be a nice drop for me from the 25 g in most intras. Whaddya think? Looks like currently you are using MAG-10 as a meal-replacement, but, wondering about it as an intra.
[/quote]
Actually the protein and carbs in MAG-10 are identical to Plazma, but in different ratios. The protein is not slow digesting casein, rather it’s very fast digesting…faster than anything else available on the market. The slow digesting casein is found in Metabolic Drive Protein (think before bed). I may completely switch Plazma to MAG-10 on my deplete week before a contest, but normally my intra-workout will always contain at least 1 serving of Plazma. Plazma contains things which aid muscle recovery and minimize soreness. Here is an example:

15-10 weeks - 4 servings Plazma intra
9-6 weeks - 3 servings Plazma + 1 serving MAG-10 intra
4-5 weeks - 2 servings Plazma + 1 serving MAG-10 intra
2-3 weeks - 1 serving Plazma + 2 servings MAG-10 intra
1 week out - 2 servings MAG-10 intra

Hope this helps.