Biotest

Mark Dugdale Log 1

Mark, you dog- holding out on us, huh? I just found the workout video with Kris Gethin on BBing.com from March 25th- says you are planning to release a DVD called “Legacy”?? Wow, awesome video- your back must of been feeling pretty good for those rack pulls- just awesome! Hmm, you ought to put the link on your Facebook page- that there was some good & friendly competition with the weights!!

[quote]domcib wrote:

[quote]Mark Dugdale wrote:
Please consider casting your vote here: https://www.T-Nation.com/videos/mark-dugdale-i-go-to-war[/quote]
done. i wish they would have given an option for “why” or comments.
[/quote]
Thanks for voting domcid!

[quote]oakridge3592 wrote:
Mark, you dog- holding out on us, huh? I just found the workout video with Kris Gethin on BBing.com from March 25th- says you are planning to release a DVD called “Legacy”?? Wow, awesome video- your back must of been feeling pretty good for those rack pulls- just awesome! Hmm, you ought to put the link on your Facebook page- that there was some good & friendly competition with the weights!![/quote]
That’s actually a really old video that was part of my LEGACY DVD which I release in 2011 I think? This was a trailer for the film:
https://youtu.be/2UU_3yA8RS0

I’ve known Phil since 2004. He was in town this last weekend for a guest appearance at the Emerald Cup so we hooked up for a workout. He’s simply got some of the craziest genetics around. I did bring him some Plazma for the workout so he’s looking extra pumped, ha! I don’t see anyone touching him for years to come. He’s in a really good spot mentally and physically. I think we might see the best Phil yet this coming September!

Mark. What’s your next show to compete?

[quote]doom44 wrote:
Mark. What’s your next show to compete?[/quote]
I’m not 100% sure on which specific contest(s), but something in the second half of this year. I plan to start dieting in a few weeks.

hello Mark!
how effective a contest prep could be beteween 2 senarios based on your experience…

1. training 5-6 days weekly with 3-4 cardio HIIT VS 5-6 days training with 3-4 pump-secondary workouts for an average bodybuilder going from15% bodyfat to 5% in 16 weeks …

[quote]bill2 wrote:
hello Mark!
how effective a contest prep could be beteween 2 senarios based on your experience…

1. training 5-6 days weekly with 3-4 cardio HIIT VS 5-6 days training with 3-4 pump-secondary workouts for an average bodybuilder going from15% bodyfat to 5% in 16 weeks …[/quote]
    Hmmm…that’s tough and saying one is better than another might be splitting hairs a bit. I had good success doing 4 days training with 3 days pump-secondary workouts. Much more and I think you really run the risk of burning yourself out. 7 days a week is tough for many if you’re not religious with your Plazma, MAG-10, etc and smart about the secondary sessions.

I would also say it depends on what your body is accustomed to. How have you been training in your off-season? HIIT cardio is very effective, but secondary workouts can also be very anabolic and aid recovery.

I would suggest 4 primary workouts, 3 secondary workouts and 2 HIIT cardio session in a week tops. You could also rotate for 16 weeks between 3 secondary workouts and 3 HIIT cardio sessions every 2 weeks.

On my last leg workout I hammer hamstrings first. This was a great starting exercise - Banded Lying Leg Curls with dorsi-flexion on the concentric and plantar flexion on the eccentric.

Second exercise was Seated Leg Curls superset w/Dumbbell Stiff-Legged Deads. I hit the lying leg curls for 4 sets and then the seated leg curl superset for 4 rounds before moving on to the rest of my leg workout. Get ready to be sore…better load up on the Plazma!

Nice- haven’t seen this on the log yet, but, will look for it. Interesting to see your ROM on those stiffy-deads- have wondered about this for some time while following you log because some bb’ers say that they should be taken to just below the knee otherwise the tension is taken off the hams & transfers more to the glute, or, lower back.

I have tried it both ways and at over 6’ tall I seem to get a better feel by going just below the knee albeit I have the flexibility to touch the db’s to the floor- just thinking with my long torso & shorter legs, might be better below the knee- mind/muscle connection is most important, correct?

[quote]oakridge3592 wrote:
Nice- haven’t seen this on the log yet, but, will look for it. Interesting to see your ROM on those stiffy-deads- have wondered about this for some time while following you log because some bb’ers say that they should be taken to just below the knee otherwise the tension is taken off the hams & transfers more to the glute, or, lower back.

I have tried it both ways and at over 6’ tall I seem to get a better feel by going just below the knee albeit I have the flexibility to touch the db’s to the floor- just thinking with my long torso & shorter legs, might be better below the knee- mind/muscle connection is most important, correct?[/quote]
Personally I tend to stay away from stiff-legged deads due to the stress on my lower back. I like pull-throughs from a lower pulley attachment best. They seem to hit my hams and minimize stress on the lower back.

In regards to the form I used on the seated leg curl superset, I was mostly aiming for a good stretch. My hams were already full of blood from the banded lying leg curls and the seat curls so I wanted more of a stretch than actual muscle activation. As you said, however, whatever works best for engaging the target muscle!

Looking for a good quad finishing exercise? Try this:

Mark,

I know you’ve had success with low carb dieting in the past. I’m 4 weeks pre contest…stay ultra low carb (under 30g a day)… And have 2 refeeds a week where I have intra workout then backload the carbs &
eat whatever mostly higher GI carbs after workout until bed 7-10pm normally. Going to cut that down to one refeed/backload every 7-10 days after this week.

A few questions:

1. What ratios did u use specifically close to and encompassing peak week? 1g per pound protein, 1:1 ratio protein/fat, etc…?
  2. How did u do ur peak week carb loading? Did u load up just the day or night before…what about show day?
  3. How did you structure workouts? Stop hard training 3 Days out and do Full body the 2 days b4 etc…?

If it’s too much too ask just point me to a good article or something lol!

Thanks!

[quote]thezukiman wrote:
Mark,

I know you’ve had success with low carb dieting in the past. I’m 4 weeks pre contest…stay ultra low carb (under 30g a day)… And have 2 refeeds a week where I have intra workout then backload the carbs &
eat whatever mostly higher GI carbs after workout until bed 7-10pm normally. Going to cut that down to one refeed/backload every 7-10 days after this week.

A few questions:

1. What ratios did u use specifically close to and encompassing peak week? 1g per pound protein, 1:1 ratio protein/fat, etc…?
  2. How did u do ur peak week carb loading? Did u load up just the day or night before…what about show day?
  3. How did you structure workouts? Stop hard training 3 Days out and do Full body the 2 days b4 etc…?

Thanks![/quote]
I deplete mon-thurs mid-day, then load with mostly carbs and protein. Protein dips slightly and fat goes low as carbs ramp up.

I can fill out in about 1.5 days. Some guys need longer.

I trained full body Mon-Wed, Thurs upper body light, sometimes Friday AM just a couple body parts I really want to fill out when loading carbs. Day of contest is as needed.

The main thing is to be in shape before the final week, then don’t do anything too drastic besides adding in some carbs.

Hope this helps.

[quote]thezukiman wrote:
Mark,

A few questions:

Thanks![/quote]
Also, this is a pretty solid article. I followed it for the 2009 Olympia in which I placed 4th. Christian and I used it as the back-bone of my peak week for last years Olympia as well.

Awesome…Thanks a lot! I will likely follow that related to diet/water manipulation, but alter the training a bit…

Meant to add I’ll be finishing up a Meadow’s program around peak week (P-17 Carnage)…so I’ll just adjust WK 12. They way it’s set up you just pump the Muscle hard with 2 sec holds on everything with lighter weights (of course)…so shouldn’t be too taxing. Probably do this:

Fri - Legs Heavy
Sat - Chest/Shoulders heavy + Extra Tris
Sun - Back heavy + Extra Bis
Mon - Leg Pump
Tues - Chest & Back Pump
Wed - Shoulders & Arms Pump
Thurs - Light Full Body Circuit
Fri - Light Circuit for Weak Bodyparts
Sat - Show Day!!!\

Thanks Again…always enjoy your stuff & Highly value your insight!

-Z

[quote]thezukiman wrote:
Awesome…Thanks a lot! I will likely follow that related to diet/water manipulation, but alter the training a bit…

Meant to add I’ll be finishing up a Meadow’s program around peak week (P-17 Carnage)…so I’ll just adjust WK 12. They way it’s set up you just pump the Muscle hard with 2 sec holds on everything with lighter weights (of course)…so shouldn’t be too taxing. Probably do this:

Fri - Legs Heavy
Sat - Chest/Shoulders heavy + Extra Tris
Sun - Back heavy + Extra Bis
Mon - Leg Pump
Tues - Chest & Back Pump
Wed - Shoulders & Arms Pump
Thurs - Light Full Body Circuit
Fri - Light Circuit for Weak Bodyparts
Sat - Show Day!!!\

Thanks Again…always enjoy your stuff & Highly value your insight!

-Z[/quote]
Thanks, this looks like a good plan for training on peak week. Much of the peak week is so individual and the exact same plan never works the exact same way two times in a row it seems. The best advice I can give is ensure you are in great shape ahead of time and then it’s really hard to mess it up. Good luck in your competition!

A good way to pre-pump the quads before the rest of your leg training…

Hey Mark

Your information here is amazing!! I think we all have learned so much, I know I have about nutrition and training!

I am sorry for the length of this post but I want to make sure I am on the right track with my programming. I have read though all of your log and Amits and have modifed my training to take into account alot of the pricipals that I have found.

Here is my “average” training week, obviously things change ie implements used/handles, machine angles and was wondering if there was anything you would change or modify?

My main goals right now are to add as much muscle as possible. Not concered with strength numbers just size. I am currently 175 pounds at 5 foot 10 and am 22 at around 10-11% body fat. Each session I use 3 scoops of plazma as my intraworkout. (Just for reference my squat is 355 deadlift is 375 and dumbbell press 90s by 12 reps, dont do bench due to an elbow injury)

Monday

Chest + Shoulders

1. Dumbbell Press - 4 sets x 12-10-8-(Drop Set 8-8-8)
  2. Dumbbell Incline Small Incline - 4 x 12-10-8-8
  3. Cable Flies - (1 sec squeeze) 3 sets x 10-12 reps
  4. Cable Flies - (1 sec squeeze) superset with Dumbbell Decline - 3 sets x 10 reps
  5. Rear Delt - 4 x 15 reps
  6. Dumbbell Lateral Raise - 12-12-12 + 8-8-8 drop set

Tuesday

Legs

1. HBBS, SSB, Cambered Bar or Front Squat - 5 sets 12-10-8-6-20 reps
  2. Hip Thrusts - 4 sets x 10-8-6-(12-15) reps
  3. Leg Press supersetted with Hamstring Curls - 15-12-10 reps
  4. Reverse Hypers - 3 x 12 reps
  5. Standing Calves - 6 sets x 12-15 reps

Wednesday

Back + Abs

1. Pullups - 5 sets x 12-10-8-6 + (Pump set) reps
  2. One Arm Barbell Rows - 4 sets x 8 reps
  3. Lat Pulldown - First 6 reps 3 sec contraction - 12-12-12 + (8-8-8)
  4. Seated Row Drop Set - 10-10-(10-10-10) reps
  5. ABS - 2 Sets

Thursday

Hill Sprints or Prowler

Friday

Arms + Shoulders

1. Post Delt Flies superset - 4 sets x 20
  2. Dumbbell Arnold Press- 12-10-8 (8-8-8)
  3. Dumbbell Laterals - 3 set x 24 8-8-8 reps
  4. Cable Laterals - 3 sets x 10 reps
  5. Rope Pushdown superset with Dumbbell Curl - 3 sets x 20 reps
  6. Swiss Bar Bench Superset with Hammer Curls - 4 x 12 reps
  7. Straight Bar superset with Cable Curls - 4 sets x 8 reps

Saturday

Glutes + Hamstrings + Calves

1. Hamstring Curls - 6 x 12 reps
  2. Hip Thrusts - 4 sets first 6 reps 3 sec contraction - 12-12-12-12
  3. Giant Pump Set - Reverse Hypers superset with Hamstring Curls superset Hip Thursts - 15-12-10 reps
  4. Standing Calf Raises - 4 sets x 12 reps
  5. Seated Calf Raises - 4 sets x 12 reps

My quads are a strong point for me which is why i am doing alot of glute and hamstring work to bring it up. My chest and shoulders are a weaker point than my back as well. I dont do deadlifts as my training partner has a bad back and cannot do them so I just dont, I know I really should start doing them again to bring up my glutes and hammies.

Again sorry for the lenght of the post, just want to make sure I am on the right track and thank you for your advice