Biotest

Mark Dugdale Log 1


#661

So, I am also interested in hearing your take on Skip Hill’s recent article on EliteFTS regarding the “trend” of using bands & chains for bodybuilding, too.


#662

[quote]oakridge3592 wrote:
Mark, Heard you mention that you use macadamia oil- any hints as to how you are using it with your cooking? Thanks in advance.[/quote]
I use mac nut oil predominantly for cooking eggs in the morning, but it’s also great on salads…something I’m eating much of this off-season :slight_smile:


#663

[quote]oakridge3592 wrote:
So, I am also interested in hearing your take on Skip Hill’s recent article on EliteFTS regarding the “trend” of using bands & chains for bodybuilding, too.[/quote]
Honestly, I’ve heard more of the response to the article than the article itself. I do respect Skip, but for me personally bands and chains are very helpful in terms of bodybuilding.

Perspective is important. Meaning, I’ve now been training hard for 22 years. I dabbled a bit with chains in 2007, but didn’t really start using bands and chains regularly until the last couple years. They’ve been a huge help. Due to previous injuries they allow me to train with greater resistance over a shorter portion of the range of motion of various exercises. They allow me to overload in the safer part of a movement.

Specifically chains remove some of the load in the hole when squatting to alleviate lower back issues. Reverse bands do the same thing on hacks. Reverse bands on barbell bench press remove some of the risk to insertion points and allow me to train more explosively.

Some of the Metabolic Pump and Explosive Complexes designed by Christian Thibaudeau and Tim Patterson employed the use of bands and were helpful in aiding recovery.


#664

hello mark
whats your opinion on green veggies when dieting hard core for a contest?
some gurus consider them free foods and you can consume in huge and unlimited amounts whithout negative effects but others count the carbs from them( minus the fiber of course…) and to the total macros …
whats your thoughts about this and your experience?


#665

[quote]bill2 wrote:
hello mark
whats your opinion on green veggies when dieting hard core for a contest?
some gurus consider them free foods and you can consume in huge and unlimited amounts whithout negative effects but others count the carbs from them( minus the fiber of course…) and to the total macros …
whats your thoughts about this and your experience? [/quote]
Personally, I count them. Certainly green, fibrous carbs are a good source for dieting and general health purposes, but I don’t agree with not counting them at all. Maybe I’m overly meticulous, but I count everything!


#666

do you feel you are geting energy from them?( glycose and glycogen load ) if consumed in large amounts?


#667

Mark, did you have any injuries on your shoulders so far in your career?
And do you do anything special to keep them healthy?


#668

[quote]bill2 wrote:
do you feel you are geting energy from them?( glycose and glycogen load ) if consumed in large amounts?[/quote]
and in the same spirit…if isomeone dieting on 75-100 gr of carbs can he consume them from veggies only instead of rice -potato etc…?


#669

[quote]bill2 wrote:
do you feel you are geting energy from them?( glycose and glycogen load ) if consumed in large amounts?[/quote]
A nominal amount, but I don’t eat several pounds of greens while dieting either. To give you some perspective, my “count everything” mentality probably began and was influenced by reading this site. Specifically, the forum discussion on Dr. Pasquale’s Anabolic Solution Diet. That was back in 2009 and I was playing around with a very low carb diet while prepping for the Olympia. Every carb gram was counted in that diet.

I guess people could argue about which opinion is correct in terms of counting or not counting, but at the end of the day what matters is the mirror. Competing at the highest level I tend to be overly cautious and want to track everything I consume.

I hope this answered your question.


#670

[quote]MG13 wrote:
Mark, did you have any injuries on your shoulders so far in your career?
And do you do anything special to keep them healthy?[/quote]
Of all the aches and pains I’ve experienced over the years, shoulders have never really been a problem. I personally think shoulder mobility and a well rounded approach to shoulder development are most important.

Over and backs with a rope or bands are regularly performed within chest/shoulder training sessions for mobility.

In terms of well rounded shoulder development, I believe it’s necessary to train all aspects of the shoulders equally. As such I do very little direct front delt work because they already get worked with pressing movements. Similarly, rear delts are often inadvertently neglected because people overlook the amount of front delt stimulation occurring with pressing movements. My shoulder routines are rear delt heavy in terms of volume to compensate for this fact.


#671

[quote]bill2 wrote:

[quote]bill2 wrote:
do you feel you are geting energy from them?( glycose and glycogen load ) if consumed in large amounts?[/quote]
and in the same spirit…if isomeone dieting on 75-100 gr of carbs can he consume them from veggies only instead of rice -potato etc…?[/quote]
I absolutely think they can, but you really need to be cautious that your properly addressing the “workout window” or you run the risk of becoming overly catabolic. The above carb range is similar to what I diet on and those carbs come exclusively from fibrous vegetables. The kicker is I take Plazma intra-workout.


#672

thanks Mark…
i definetely feel that im geting energy from veggies so i will count them as normal carbs…
you mean in addition to your intra plasma serving the rest of your total carbs are from veggies right ?( meaning 75-100 from veggies plus 75-100 from plasma?)


#673

[quote]bill2 wrote:
thanks Mark…
i definetely feel that im geting energy from veggies so i will count them as normal carbs…
you mean in addition to your intra plasma serving the rest of your total carbs are from veggies right ?( meaning 75-100 from veggies plus 75-100 from plasma?)[/quote]
Yes, depending on how close I am to the contest…early in the diet carbs are about 250 daily. 114-152 grams from 3-4 servings of Plazma intra-workout and the rest from veggies.


#674

This was a fun quad drop set:


#675

Yes, indeed, I did that workout on the 19th and the goblets were, “fun” did you say? No, seriously, what a great pump- interesting how when a new exercise is added in it seems as though the pump happens at that moment in the workout!

Also, really wanted to tell you how much I appreciated you posting that arm workout this week, as well… nice to be able to understand how to incorporate advanced techniques with arms once and awhile.

Which has me wondering… this time last year, I think, your arm workouts were being featured in Muscle Mag, and now I can’t find that magazine on the rack anywhere… I see the Facebook page, but, do you know it the print version is defunct?

Finally, was fun to see your athleticism in the church men’s weekend videos!


#676

[quote]Mark Dugdale wrote:
This was a fun quad drop set:
https://youtu.be/C2_FhP4cFO8[/quote]

Hi from France Mark ! (not many of us around here it seems!)

I tried to do it after a bulgarian split squat drop set… well, I failed miserably. This KB drop set is so effective it’s gonna become a staple in my leg training !

Joke (and reality check) aside, I want to say thank you for all the content you put online. You are a true inspiration to me and I felt that after months of reading your posts / logs I had to drop by and say hi / thank you !!!

I’ll make sure to start posting more often in your thread ! Keep up the amazing work !


#677

[quote]oakridge3592 wrote:
Yes, indeed, I did that workout on the 19th and the goblets were, “fun” did you say? No, seriously, what a great pump- interesting how when a new exercise is added in it seems as though the pump happens at that moment in the workout!

Also, really wanted to tell you how much I appreciated you posting that arm workout this week, as well… nice to be able to understand how to incorporate advanced techniques with arms once and awhile.

Which has me wondering… this time last year, I think, your arm workouts were being featured in Muscle Mag, and now I can’t find that magazine on the rack anywhere… I see the Facebook page, but, do you know it the print version is defunct?

Finally, was fun to see your athleticism in the church men’s weekend videos![/quote]
Thanks! Yeah, it’s always good to introduce new exercises or training techniques from time to time. I called it “fun” as a way of preempting any thought of skipping it because it can be an ass-kicker!

MuscleMag went broke shortly after Robert Kennedy passed, but was then purchased by a larger publishing company…I think they also owned SKI Magazine and a few others. I wrote for them initially, but then they went to quarterly publications. I don’t even know if they are around at all anymore? Gone are the heydays of FLEX, Muscle & Fitness, MuscleMag, etc. Thankfully we have T-Nation!


#678

[quote]Aldune wrote:

[quote]Mark Dugdale wrote:
This was a fun quad drop set:
https://youtu.be/C2_FhP4cFO8[/quote]

Hi from France Mark ! (not many of us around here it seems!)

I tried to do it after a bulgarian split squat drop set… well, I failed miserably. This KB drop set is so effective it’s gonna become a staple in my leg training !

Joke (and reality check) aside, I want to say thank you for all the content you put online. You are a true inspiration to me and I felt that after months of reading your posts / logs I had to drop by and say hi / thank you !!!

I’ll make sure to start posting more often in your thread ! Keep up the amazing work !
[/quote]
Merci beaucoup…and welcome to T-Nation!


#679

Please consider casting your vote here: https://www.T-Nation.com/videos/mark-dugdale-i-go-to-war


#680

[quote]Mark Dugdale wrote:
Please consider casting your vote here: https://www.T-Nation.com/videos/mark-dugdale-i-go-to-war[/quote]
done. i wish they would have given an option for “why” or comments.