Biotest

Mark Dugdale Log 1

Interesting- different light to be sure, still, I believe that most judges would rather tell you to find a way to lose more water that to tell you that you just weren’t lean enough. Seriously, I think they want to break it to you gentler.

However, I have looked at these several times now & my very first reaction was that in 2014 the physique looks more mature. Obviously, the 212 weight class- so similar weight. But, having read the forum, mirrored the training log, followed Meadows, etc., I think the objective as I understand it is to obtain a full, dense, rounder muscle head and, it appears that you have done just that over time. Maybe in '07 you weren't as "big" and needed to get more shredded than the competition? I mean, not a huge fan of P. Heath, but, he talks in detail about being around 250 onstage vs. Greene, others who are 30 pounds heavier. So, you go for "roundness", symmetry, density, and maturity of the muscle. I have been to one Olympia & tons of amateur shows- that's my disclaimer- but, the vascularity in '07 reminds me of amateur shows where lack of size is compensated for by simply getting shredded as heck. Can't even account for intangibles though, like the toll that dieting/cutting took on you Mark doing so many shows in a row in 2014- or, maybe even "overtraining" as in so many sessions per week as you have mentioned here recently?

Can you not look back at your past workouts on elitefts anymore because of the new layout?

Not Mark, but, I was frustrated by this as well. Then, while using Google, I discovered the following: Go to elitefts.com home page & look for the bar at the top which says “CULTURE” and pick “ATHLETE TRAINING LOGS”. When the page comes up there will be a bar at the top above the athlete’s pics that says “VIEW THE TRAINING LOG ARCHIVE” with a small yellow box that has an arrow saying “BROWSE THE ARCHIVE”. Point, click, & then just scroll down to Bodybuilders, and Mark Dugdale. Needless to say I was very happy to discover this late last week!!

[quote]Georgie0515 wrote:
Can you not look back at your past workouts on elitefts anymore because of the new layout?[/quote]
Looks like oakridge3592 knows more than me!..see his post.

Reverse banded hack squats have been my favorite leg exercise lately. Keeps the load off my spine and keeps my lower back from flaring up. This was last Saturday…

Mark- I too have a new affinity for the banded hacks- have had some knee inflammation which I blame on all the Bulgarian split squats!! Definitely need to stay in a range where there is constant tension tho- and, as you have mentioned, foot placement really does dictate where the DOMS occurs.
Just curious- I know that you often substitute the squats that your coach prescribes for you for something less stressful on the back. What would the sets/rep ranges look like for those & would they typically incorporate chains as you’ve done in the past?

[quote]oakridge3592 wrote:
Just curious- I know that you often substitute the squats that your coach prescribes for you for something less stressful on the back. What would the sets/rep ranges look like for those & would they typically incorporate chains as you’ve done in the past?[/quote]
Lately, I’ve been sticking to the set/rep scheme prescribed for squats, but simply doing them on reverse banded hack squats. I haven’t considered adding chains, but that’s actually a great idea. In terms of set/reps for hack (exchanged for squats), John will change them up constantly so there is no “typical” squat day.

Again, Mark, loving the training log- this week has been interesting, to say the least! But, hey, I know you & BPak are world’s apart- Seattle to Tampa, but, have been watching his Arnold prep videos & the training is very similar with Prowler, etc >> Meadows inspired for sure! I will be interested to see how he looks this weekend! I presume you two have similar work ethics- would be great to have you two meet up in, I dunno, say Columbus, OH and shoot some video! Ha! Have a great weekend.

[quote]oakridge3592 wrote:
Again, Mark, loving the training log- this week has been interesting, to say the least! But, hey, I know you & BPak are world’s apart- Seattle to Tampa, but, have been watching his Arnold prep videos & the training is very similar with Prowler, etc >> Meadows inspired for sure! I will be interested to see how he looks this weekend! I presume you two have similar work ethics- would be great to have you two meet up in, I dunno, say Columbus, OH and shoot some video! Ha! Have a great weekend.[/quote]
I’ve met Ben a couple times, but never trained together. I hear he’s a hard worker. Balancing out his upper body with his massive lower body has always been his challenge. Tough line-up in the open ASC this weekend for sure!

Did my first hike this last Saturday. 4 miles and 2,087 feet elevation gain. Unfortunately I was dumb enough to attempt this after training legs the same morning. I literally drank 6 servings of Plazma between my workout and my hike. You can see the Nalgene bottle in the pic with my family. Going to try some Finibars next time so I don’t have to carry so much fluid, ha! Oh, and not on a leg day!

That looks beautiful!

Hiking to a mountain peak or to a majestic waterfall is my favorite family activity.

hey mark,
just a note to say hi, and your posts are much appreciated.
all the best!

[quote]domcib wrote:
hey mark,
just a note to say hi, and your posts are much appreciated.
all the best![/quote]
Thanks, domcid! I got out of town this weekend for some snow skiing at Mission Ridge and hiking near Icicle Ridge in Leavenworth. Good times with my family!

Hi Mark,

I have a question about lagging shoulders for you.
I train the same split as you (Johns Mountain Dog Training, 6 days a week).
But my shoulders are lagging behind the rest of my body. They are my weak point.

What would you suggest? Should I give them an own day respectively do them first on the second Chest/Shoulder day or should I stay with the split as it is?

Thanks for helping me out.

[quote]MG13 wrote:
Hi Mark,

But my shoulders are lagging behind the rest of my body. They are my weak point.

What would you suggest? Should I give them an own day respectively do them first on the second Chest/Shoulder day or should I stay with the split as it is?

Thanks for helping me out.[/quote]
I would consider giving them their own day. Train them for a massive pump with time under tension emphasis. If you’re not cursing the burn then you’re not training hard enough. I personally feel getting a massive pump trumps moving heavier weight for shoulders. Plazma helps in this regard!

Last Saturday’s hike on Whidbey Island. I brought Plazma and Finibars to fuel my 5.7 mile hike.

Awesome finishing exercise for triceps…

[quote]Mark Dugdale wrote:

[quote]MG13 wrote:
Hi Mark,

I would consider giving them their own day. Train them for a massive pump with time under tension emphasis. If you’re not cursing the burn then you’re not training hard enough. I personally feel getting a massive pump trumps moving heavier weight for shoulders. Plazma helps in this regard![/quote]

Thank you Mark for your help.
Sounds good to me. I will integrate it to my program and build up a new split routine.
Maybe I need your help one more time after doing this.

Thanks for helping!

[quote]MG13 wrote:

[quote]Mark Dugdale wrote:

[quote]MG13 wrote:
Hi Mark,

I would consider giving them their own day. Train them for a massive pump with time under tension emphasis. If you’re not cursing the burn then you’re not training hard enough. I personally feel getting a massive pump trumps moving heavier weight for shoulders. Plazma helps in this regard![/quote]

Thank you Mark for your help.
Sounds good to me. I will integrate it to my program and build up a new split routine.
Maybe I need your help one more time after doing this.

Thanks for helping!
[/quote]
No problem…anytime!

Mark, Heard you mention that you use macadamia oil- any hints as to how you are using it with your cooking? Thanks in advance.