Biotest

Mark Dugdale Log 1

so Mark are you pushing for mass nowdays or your main consern is more refinement -density?

[quote]bill2 wrote:
so Mark are you pushing for mass nowdays or your main consern is more refinement -density?[/quote]
I was 234lbs this morning, so I don’t know that I want to get much heavier at this point. I’ve been into the 240’s before and it was uncomfortable and not a quality 240. That said, as of my last contest in October I had been pretty much on a diet for almost 2 years straight with only maybe a month break. It will be interesting to see how much quality muscle I can gain in the next 6 months before switching gears and going back into contest-mode.

Mark, I just saw on your Facebook the link to your most recent chest workout due to the brand new elite website – would you please do the same for your most recent leg workout (1/24/15) as well? Seems as though the link does not work when going from the log to that workout on the old website, and, well, was hoping to get 'er done this Saturday AM. Thanks in advance.

[quote]oakridge3592 wrote:
Mark, I just saw on your Facebook the link to your most recent chest workout due to the brand new elite website – would you please do the same for your most recent leg workout (1/24/15) as well? Seems as though the link does not work when going from the log to that workout on the old website, and, well, was hoping to get 'er done this Saturday AM. Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Here is the 1/24/15 leg workout, oakridge3592â?¦

GLUTE MACHINE

Set 1 x 10 reps with 90lbs (warm-up)
Set 2 x 10 reps with 100lbs (warm-up)
Set 3 x 8 reps with 110lbs
Set 4 x 8 reps with 120lbs
Set 5 x 8 reps with 130lbs
Set 6 x 8 reps with 140lbs

*After warming up, perform sets of 8 reps and hold the contraction for one second on each rep.

LEG PRESS

Set 1 x 10 reps with 2 plates each side
Set 2 x 10 reps with 3 plates each side
Set 3 x 10 reps with 4 plates each side
Set 4 x 10 reps with 5 plates each side
Set 5 x 10 reps with 6 plates each side
Set 6 x 10 reps with 7 plates each side
Set 7 x 10 reps with 8 plates each side
Set 8 x 10 reps with 9 plates, 8 plates x 10 reps, 7 plates x 10 reps, 6 plates x 10 reps, 5 plates x 10 reps, 4 plates x 10 reps

*Work your way up in weight performing sets of 10 reps. Once you hit your max for 10 reps, continue with a massive drop set of 5 drops and 10 reps/each drop. I had to pause a few times to get all 10 reps, but I made sure I got all 10 on each drop.

LEG EXTENSION SUPERSET w/DEAD-SQUAT

Set 1 leg extension x 10 reps with 135lbs (warm-up)

Leg extensions x 10 reps with 220lbs + 10 second isohold at midpoint
Superset withâ?¦
Dead-Squats x 6 reps with 280lbs

*Perform the extension/dead-squat superset for a total of 3 rounds and be sure to perform the extension isohold at the end of each set of 10 reps before moving immediately to dead-squats.

SEATED LEG CURLS

Set 1 x 10 reps with 80lbs each leg
Set 2 x 10 reps with 80lbs each leg
Set 3 x 10 reps with 80lbs each leg

*I used a unilateral seated leg curl, thus the weight listed is for each leg. Control the weight and flex hard in the contracted position for a split second on each rep.

DUMBBELL STIFF-LEGGED DEADS

My lower back was tightening up a bit from the dead-squats so I elevated my toes on a 5lb plate, used lighter weight while focusing on the stretch/bottom portion of this exercise.

Set 1 x 7 reps with 50lb dumbbells
Set 2 x 7 reps with 50lb dumbbells
Set 3 x 7 reps with 50lb dumbbells

*I focused on stretching out my hamstrings and only came up about half way from the bottom. I elevated my toes and allowed the dumbbells to touch the floor on each rep.

DONE!

Sweet- thanks so much Mark!! Gonna get it done before the game! Have a sister in Seattle, near Ballard-- Go SEAHAWKS!!

Sweet- thanks so much Mark!! Gonna get it done before the game! Have a sister in Seattle, near Ballard-- Go SEAHAWKS!![/quote]
No problem…and I’m nearly over my Seahawks hang-over :frowning:

One of my daughters had honor choir practice last night and my wife wanted to go to the gym while we waited for her practice to end. I had trained back that morning and was going to train arms the next day, so the question was - what do I train? I decided to do a second back workout similar to the design Christian Thibaudeau provided me while training for my competitions in Slovakia, UK and Toronto last spring.

Christian called this specific workout an Explosive Complex designed to increase muscle size, hardness and overall recovery ability. Lifting numbers are not a priority on this workout. This was personally one of my favorite complexes. Here is what it included:

Dumbbell Pullovers: 40lbs x 20 super-slow reps for constant tension.

Immediately move to…

Kettlebell Swings: 50lbs x 15 reps explosive whereby you have to stop the kettlebell when your arms are out in front of you.

Immediately move to…

Pull-up Stretch: Relax the scapulae and allow your body weight to stretch out your back for 60 seconds.

Here is a video:

Perform the complex 4 times, resting 2 minutes between each complex.

Mark- just curious as to what your future plans might be for competition, the Olympia, maybe? Or, are you just going to take time to grow?

Just had a thought, because, as you have mentioned recently in your log- your daughters wanting to train with you, and, they went with you to Europe last year, iirc-- I think it would be interesting to include them in an upcoming article. Not sure what direction it would go, but, I would be curious to hear their take on things, fitness related or whatever. 

I would think it would be interesting to hear from them as young women growing up as part of a challenging generation- maybe even a “So my dad’s a bodybuilder” lead to get them to start talking/writing? As I recall, your wife was once a competitor in physique, maybe? Just seems like a unique opportunity to learn more about the culture of the sport.

Mark- just curious as to what your future plans might be for competition, the Olympia, maybe? Or, are you just going to take time to grow?

Just had a thought, because, as you have mentioned recently in your log- your daughters wanting to train with you, and, they went with you to Europe last year, iirc-- I think it would be interesting to include them in an upcoming article. Not sure what direction it would go, but, I would be curious to hear their take on things, fitness related or whatever. 

I would think it would be interesting to hear from them as young women growing up as part of a challenging generation- maybe even a “So my dad’s a bodybuilder” lead to get them to start talking/writing? As I recall, your wife was once a competitor in physique, maybe? Just seems like a unique opportunity to learn more about the culture of the sport. [/quote]
Middle daughter actually made that exact suggestion the other night when I asked them about potential article topics - ha! I think I need to borrow my friends video camera!

hello mark
now after many months after your contests how would you rate your training leading to them ( 13 workouts with regular and metabolic -pump workouts with no cardio ) as far as fat loss and muscle maintenance-gaining?
-would you do it again?
-what would you change?
-do you find it effective ?

• in comparison with previous contest preps of yours whats your feelings about this one style?

[quote]Mark Dugdale wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

Someone recently asked if they could come train with me. I said, “Sure, I typically train at 5:30am in Kirkland. Which body part do you want to join me on?” Turns out 5:30am is too early for them so they passed, lol.

Anyway, in light of my answer they asked what I ate before training. I said I consume at least 1 serving of Plazma before I enter the gym and another 2 to 3 servings throughout the workout. I don’t think the individual ever used Plazma, so they were surprised that I had enough energy to train without consuming a whole food meal.

I hated switching to early AM workouts initially, but now I prefer them. One reason is I wake up with essentially an empty stomach so it makes ingesting 4 servings of Plazma much easier than trying to do it after a days worth of whole food meals. Optimizing Plazma is a priority because it’s the most valuable supplement in my arsenal when fighting for new muscle.

I’m curious if anyone else trains this early in the morning and if so, what is your food/supplement protocol?
[/quote]

430 am coffee with 14g of fat from coconut milk
5am workout 30g carb intra and 15g EAA
Post 3 cups cereal and 2 scoops whey[/quote]
Thanks for posting, ryanbCXG. How many days/week do you train?[/quote]

Sorry Mark clinical rotations have gotten very busy.

I train 6-7days a week. And with inpatient pediatrics now workouts are 4am and have to be at the hospital at 6am.

[quote]bill2 wrote:
hello mark
now after many months after your contests how would you rate your training leading to them ( 13 workouts with regular and metabolic -pump workouts with no cardio ) as far as fat loss and muscle maintenance-gaining?
-would you do it again?
-what would you change?

• in comparison with previous contest preps of yours whats your feelings about this one style?
    [/quote]
    bill2,

I competed in 9 contests in 17 months and went from 212lbs in the first to 204lbs by the last. I think the lengthy dieting hampered my growth/retention more than anything. Now in regard to your questions…

The 13 workouts per week were awesome initially. I felt like they aided recovery and body composition. The problem occurred when I got into the harder months of dieting and calories were restricted. At that point the volume was too much, but I’m also extremely stubborn once committed to a plan. I lowered my shoulders and fought through the whole diet doing 13 workouts and in the end my physique suffered a bit.

I would not do it again for an entire contest diet, although aspects of the program worked very well.

I continue to tap into some of the upper body metabolic pump and explosive complexes while in the off-season.

I could see these program working, but only when doing in shorter bouts…maybe 2-3 weeks at a time before switching back to once/day workouts.

I hope this answers your questions!

[quote]bill2 wrote:
hello mark
-would you do it again?
-what would you change?

[/quote]
    bill2,

I competed in 9 contests in 17 months and went from 212lbs in the first to 204lbs by the last. I think the lengthy dieting hampered my growth/retention more than anything. Now in regard to your questions…

The 13 workouts per week were awesome initially. I felt like they aided recovery and body composition. The problem occurred when I got into the harder months of dieting and calories were restricted. At that point the volume was too much, but I’m also extremely stubborn once committed to a plan. I lowered my shoulders and fought through the whole diet doing 13 workouts and in the end my physique suffered a bit.

I would not do it again for an entire contest diet, although aspects of the program worked very well.

I continue to tap into some of the upper body metabolic pump and explosive complexes while in the off-season.

I could see these program working, but only when doing in shorter bouts…maybe 2-3 weeks at a time before switching back to once/day workouts.

I hope this answers your questions!
[/quote]

thanks for clarifing Mark!
well i plan to start my contest diet prety soon and i hate boring cardio as you… so i wanted to learn from the best ( you of course…) what would be the best plan to follow as far as training goes to maximize fat loss and keep all the muscle …
so Mark what kind of attack would you recomend for a 16 week diet judging by your own past experiences and contest preps?

No problem at all, Bill…glad to help. I’ve been training and competing in bodybuilding for 22 years and have tried and experienced a margin of success with several different methods. At the pro level of bodybuilding it really becomes all about the “freak factor” to some extent. Massive amounts of muscularity tends to trump a “pretty” physique that flows and is balanced. I feel this is less of the case at the amateur level, meaning getting ripped often trumps marginally conditioned mass. Therefore, not to completely ignore size I would say the best approach is to focus on getting ripped to the point that your competitors look like they need a few more weeks of dieting to catch you.

I was likely at my all-time leanest at the 2009 Olympia (see pic) and although I wasn’t directly affiliated with T-Nation/Biotest I was an avid reader who routinely experimented with things I learned from the great minds associated with this site. Specifically, Chris Shugart and Christian Thibaudeau. Anyway, I 2009 I think the following article played a major role in the condition I brought to the stage:

What I didn’t have at my disposal back then is Plazma, MAG-10 and Indigo-3G. If I were to give you a game plan for your bodybuilding competition I would suggest training according to the aforementioned program, using Indigo-3G pre-workout, Plazma pre and intra-workout and MAG-10 post workout. I would use Plazma and MAG-10 as your primary carb sources and stick with protein and fibrous carbs the rest of the day.

Hope this helps!

Here is a stage pic from the 2009 Olympia.

No problem at all, Bill…glad to help. I’ve been training and competing in bodybuilding for 22 years and have tried and experienced a margin of success with several different methods. At the pro level of bodybuilding it really becomes all about the “freak factor” to some extent. Massive amounts of muscularity tends to trump a “pretty” physique that flows and is balanced. I feel this is less of the case at the amateur level, meaning getting ripped often trumps marginally conditioned mass. Therefore, not to completely ignore size I would say the best approach is to focus on getting ripped to the point that your competitors look like they need a few more weeks of dieting to catch you.

I was likely at my all-time leanest at the 2009 Olympia (see pic) and although I wasn’t directly affiliated with T-Nation/Biotest I was an avid reader who routinely experimented with things I learned from the great minds associated with this site. Specifically, Chris Shugart and Christian Thibaudeau. Anyway, I 2009 I think the following article played a major role in the condition I brought to the stage:

What I didn’t have at my disposal back then is Plazma, MAG-10 and Indigo-3G. If I were to give you a game plan for your bodybuilding competition I would suggest training according to the aforementioned program, using Indigo-3G pre-workout, Plazma pre and intra-workout and MAG-10 post workout. I would use Plazma and MAG-10 as your primary carb sources and stick with protein and fibrous carbs the rest of the day.

Hope this helps![/quote]
thanks for the help! i found this article prety usefull…!
did yoo took 3 days off competely rest as the programm dictates or you incorporated some cardio or a secondary -pump workout as weell?
(and basicaly any kind of info you could pass on me would be really helpfull as far as the plan off attack of this contest prep of yours!

Mark, as part of this conversation, could you maybe do a breakdown from the perspective of a judge as to the differences in your physique between the two photos you posted on Facebook- the '07 Olympia & the '14 Mozolani? I know what I see, but, am curious as to what a “trained eye” might point out as to the differences in your physique for appearances sake. Thanks in advance.

[quote]bill2 wrote:
thanks for the help! i found this article prety usefull…!
did yoo took 3 days off competely rest as the programm dictates or you incorporated some cardio or a secondary -pump workout as weell?
(and basicaly any kind of info you could pass on me would be really helpfull as far as the plan off attack of this contest prep of yours! [/quote]
If I recall correctly, I was doing some form of HIIT on two of the off days. One day was an abdominal/core/kettlebell/jump rope circuit and the other day included sprints.

Mark, as part of this conversation, could you maybe do a breakdown from the perspective of a judge as to the differences in your physique between the two photos you posted on Facebook- the '07 Olympia & the '14 Mozolani? I know what I see, but, am curious as to what a “trained eye” might point out as to the differences in your physique for appearances sake. Thanks in advance.[/quote]
To be fair, I’m a competitor not a judge. I actually don’t envy their job and at times struggle to identify differences between various physiques. I know I wasn’t lean enough in Slovakia/Mozolani Pro. More hair in 2007 Olympia, lol. My shoulders seem a bit fuller and taper perhaps a little better in the Mozolani vs Olympia. What do you think?

the pose is not exactly the same. the shoulder looks bigger because of the angle. the trap in 2014 looks bigger. again may be the angle.
legs are bigger in 14, but not as defined. actuallly, overall, u are bigger in 14, but, not as defined as 07