Biotest

Mark Dugdale Log 1

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

[quote]Mark Dugdale wrote:
Someone recently asked if they could come train with me. I said, “Sure, I typically train at 5:30am in Kirkland. Which body part do you want to join me on?” Turns out 5:30am is too early for them so they passed, lol.

Anyway, in light of my answer they asked what I ate before training. I said I consume at least 1 serving of Plazma before I enter the gym and another 2 to 3 servings throughout the workout. I don’t think the individual ever used Plazma, so they were surprised that I had enough energy to train without consuming a whole food meal.

I hated switching to early AM workouts initially, but now I prefer them. One reason is I wake up with essentially an empty stomach so it makes ingesting 4 servings of Plazma much easier than trying to do it after a days worth of whole food meals. Optimizing Plazma is a priority because it’s the most valuable supplement in my arsenal when fighting for new muscle.

I’m curious if anyone else trains this early in the morning and if so, what is your food/supplement protocol?
[/quote]

430 am coffee with 14g of fat from coconut milk
5am workout 30g carb intra and 15g EAA
Post 3 cups cereal and 2 scoops whey[/quote]
Thanks for posting, ryanbCXG. How many days/week do you train?

Wow Mark, Looks like C. Thibaudeau is speaking your language in today’s article- if I recall correctly, you were one of his “lab mice” for testing this theory of double stimulation training? Interesting, I have been following your training log for almost a year now, have begun to use Biotest supps more frequently, and, after learning about & breaking down all movements, am just starting to gain significant gains in both body comp & strength at the age of 48.

I can't thank you enough for the time you have taken to post the log, answer any & all questions & be totally upfront, honest, & revealing about not just training, but, family, faith & business. The "blogs" you have written at Elitefts are amazing as well, for my heart-rate jumps in anticipation when I see that you've written a new one. Here, here, Mark, to a very Merry Christmas, health & prosperity in the New Year, and great energy in your training- knowing all the while that what you do each day is making a difference- not just for you, but, for others. I understand that you have personal goals as an IFBB pro, but, you represent well as a great role model. Best of luck, Pete

[quote]oakridge3592 wrote:
Wow Mark, Looks like C. Thibaudeau is speaking your language in today’s article- if I recall correctly, you were one of his “lab mice” for testing this theory of double stimulation training? Interesting, I have been following your training log for almost a year now, have begun to use Biotest supps more frequently, and, after learning about & breaking down all movements, am just starting to gain significant gains in both body comp & strength at the age of 48.

I can't thank you enough for the time you have taken to post the log, answer any & all questions & be totally upfront, honest, & revealing about not just training, but, family, faith & business. The "blogs" you have written at Elitefts are amazing as well, for my heart-rate jumps in anticipation when I see that you've written a new one. Here, here, Mark, to a very Merry Christmas, health & prosperity in the New Year, and great energy in your training- knowing all the while that what you do each day is making a difference- not just for you, but, for others. I understand that you have personal goals as an IFBB pro, but, you represent well as a great role model. Best of luck, Pete[/quote]

Hey Pete. Wow, I am humbled and really appreciate your post. Honestly it means more to me than winning bodybuilding competitions. I’m really excited to learn that you are making progress at 48 with Biotest supplements and ideas from some of my posts. I love hearing testimonies like yours!

Yeah, Christian and Tim were gracious enough to let me be the lab rat on some of the theories Christian detailed in his recent article. When my recovery ability skyrocketed with Plazma I wanted to see how far I could push the training limits.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years!

I’m curious if anyone else trains this early in the morning and if so, what is your food/supplement protocol?
[/quote]
Well, not that early. I work from 3:30 PM to 12:30 AM, and lift around 10 AM. Either way, I have Brain Candy + MAG-10 upon waking, and then normally 2 scoops of Plazma for my workout (5x a week). It definitely took some getting used to at first.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS to you and your family!

[quote]domcib wrote:
HAPPY HOLIDAYS to you and your family![/quote]
Thank you and likewise to you and yours!

Some find joy in sleigh bells. I personally find it in the sound of chains loaded on a squat bar. Merry Christmas T-Nation!

Some find joy in sleigh bells. I personally find it in the sound of chains loaded on a squat bar. Merry Christmas T-Nation![/quote]
lol
I agree.

Merry Christmas to you and your family

This was a marathon primary leg workout. If you attempt it be sure to have plenty of intra-workout nutrition on hand. I used 4 servings of Plazma. I did this last Saturday at Kirkland Goldâ??s Gym. Here is the workoutâ?¦

GLUTE BRIDGES

John called for the glute machine, however I opted for glute bridges or as some people call them, hip thrusters, for a change.

Set 1 x 15 reps with 75lbs
Set 2 x 12 reps with 125lbs
Set 3 x 12 reps with 125lbs
Set 4 x 12 reps with 125lbs
Set 5 x 12 reps with 125lbs

*The key here is to not overextend at the top. In the video below from a previous workout I was on the borderline of overextending. Flex your glutes and hold at the top position for a split second.

Hereâ??s a video from a previous workout:

ADDUCTOR MACHINE

Set 1 x 15 reps with 160lbs
Set 2 x 15 reps with 220lbs
Set 3 x 15 reps with 230lbs
Set 4 x 15 reps with 240lbs

LEG PRESS PART 1

Set 1 x 10 reps with 1 plate per side
Set 2 x 10 reps with 2 plates per side
Set 3 x 10 reps with 3 plates per side
Set 4 x 10 reps with 4 plates per side
Set 5 x 10 reps with 5 plates per side
Set 6 x 10 reps with 6 plates per side
Set 7 x 10 reps with 7 plates per side

*Leave the weigh on the leg press as you will be coming back to it.

BACKWARDS PROWLER PUSH

I used my T-Nation Limited Edition Prowler, but you can also drag a sled.

Place you back against the drive pad and push the Prowler backwards.

Set 1 x 30 yards with 250lbs added
Set 2 x 30 yards with 250lbs added
Set 3 x 30 yards with 250lbs added
Set 4 x 30 yards with 250lbs added

LEG PRESS PART 2

Pick up where you left off, but drop the reps from 10 to 6.

Set 1 x 6 reps with 7 plates per side
Set 2 x 6 reps with 8 plates per side
Set 3 x 6 reps with 9 plates per side
Set 4 x 6 reps with 10 plates per side

REVERSE BANDED HACK SQUATS

Rather than conventional squats, I opted for hack squats with reverse bands as itâ??s friendlier on my lower back today.

Set 1 x 10 reps with two 45lb plates on each side
Set 2 x 8 reps with two 45lb and one 100lb plate on each side
Set 3 x 8 reps with two 45lb and one 100lb plate on each side
Set 4 x 8 reps with two 45lb and one 100lb plate on each side

LYING LEG CURLS

Set 1 x 8 reps with 125lbs
Set 2 x 8 reps with 125lbs
Set 3 x 8 reps with 125lbs
Set 4 x 8 reps with 125lbs

*On each reps hold the contraction at the top for 1 second. These were surprisingly hard after all the other leg work.

DONE!

Who says bodbuilders are not strong?
Some workout Mark!

I recently had someone ask me about abdominal and core training. I personally view them a little differently in that the core is often the unseen muscles that aid in stabilization of the spine, whereas the abdominals are typically referenced as the muscles you see at the midsection when body fat levels are low. My four favorite exercises, which I often superset, include:

1. Hanging leg raises

2. Kneeling cable crunches

3. Ab wheel/roll-outs

4. Twists with stick held across back of neck/shoulders.

What are your favorites?

Secondary back workout that I thought you might enjoy…

ONE ARM BARBELL ROWS

Set 1 x 10 reps with a 25lb plate (warm-up)
Set 2 x 10 reps with two 25lb plates (warm-up)
Set 3 x 10 reps with three 25lb plates (warm-up)
Set 4 x 10 reps with three 25lb and two 10lb plates
Set 5 x 10 reps with three 25lb and two 10lb plates
Set 6 x 10 reps with three 25lb and two 10lb plates
Set 7 x 10 reps with three 25lb and two 10lb plates

*Work up to a decent weight and do 4 sets of 10 reps. Donâ??t go so heavy that you hit failure. This is a secondary workout and designed to pump the muscle.

ALTERNATING HAMMER PULLDOWNS

I really like this machine lately. It hits my lower lats and doing them unilaterally seems to work even better.

Set 1 x 10 reps each arm (alternating) with one 45lb and one 35lb plate on each side
Set 2 x 10 reps each arm (alternating) with one 45lb and one 35lb plate on each side
Set 3 x 10 reps each arm (alternating) with one 45lb and one 35lb plate on each side
Set 4 x 10 reps each arm (alternating) with one 45lb and one 35lb plate on each side

*Hold one arm in the stretched position and drive the alternate elbow down and contract the lower lats. Take short rest breaks (about 60 seconds) to facilitate a bigger pump by set 4.

LAT PULLDOWNS

I had Christina push down on the weight stack for a split second in the stretched position on each rep.

Set 1 x 10 reps with 160lbs
Set 2 x 10 reps with 160lbs
Set 3 x 10 reps with 160lbs
Set 4 x 10 reps with 160lbs

*Use a wide/pronate grip and squeeze the back before having your training partner add pressure for a better stretch at the top.

PULLEY ROW ALTERNATIVE

Set 1 x 10 reps with 90lbs
Set 2 x 10 reps with 90lbs
Set 3 x 10 reps with 90lbs
Set 4 x 10 reps with 90lbs

*The key here is to round your back vs arching it. Also, extend your arms all the way out at the top to get a good stretch before pulling to your thighs.

DONE!

Video’s of a couple of the exercises:

hey Mark how is your training schedule now days?
any cardio?( i guess NOT ha ha…)
and how high are your calories several months after your contests?
-how much pounds up you are?
really admire your work ethic-family man buisness -man and bodybyuilder…looking forward you i have to admit!

Wow. I finally started in on one of the ‘pro logs’; what a find! I’m slowly working through all the info/vids here. What a treat to read and watch your experiences,along with interactions from other guys and gals.
I too, appreciate what you share with everyone here.

ERIC D.

[quote]bill2 wrote:
hey Mark how is your training schedule now days?
any cardio?( i guess NOT ha ha…)
and how high are your calories several months after your contests?
-how much pounds up you are?
really admire your work ethic-family man buisness -man and bodybyuilder…looking forward you i have to admit![/quote]

Here is my recent training schedule:

Sat - primary leg workout
Sun - primary chest & shoulder workout
Mon - primary back workout
Tues - secondary leg workout
Wed - secondary chest & shoulder workout
Thurs - secondary back workout
Fri - biceps & triceps

I haven’t really done any cardio in a few months, although you could almost call my secondary leg workout cardio. Lately my secondary leg workouts have consisted mostly of Prowler work. I love the Prowler because it’s easy on the joints, nervous system and allows me to get a massive pump while working my cardiovascular capacity.

Calories are roughly 3,500/day and I’m up from my lowest pre-contest weight of 204lbs to 232lbs. Yeah, life is good when you can train hard while in a calorie surplus!

[quote]denver z-man wrote:
Wow. I finally started in on one of the ‘pro logs’; what a find! I’m slowly working through all the info/vids here. What a treat to read and watch your experiences,along with interactions from other guys and gals.
I too, appreciate what you share with everyone here.

ERIC D.
[/quote]
Thanks Eric. Post up questions in this thread anytime…I check in here often.

Here is a pretty effective way to perform standing leg curls…even if you only have access to a leg extension machine:

So Mark, I see yet another question on your “cardio”-- I recently purchased your coach’s latest e-book at the introductory price & he refers to this as “eccentric-less cardio”-- that is backing into a sled and pushing it. He also suggests dragging a sled, or actually rowing the sled using a resistance band (hint- there is a video).

I thought that I would add to this thread by advising that he generally suggests 40 yard drags or pulls starting at 4 rounds and working up to 8 with 1 minute rest breaks initially, and slowly reducing the rest break to add intensity. Most of this is there on his Facebook page, but, according to him removing the eccentric component means that this work will not tap into recovery as hard weight training does with concentric and eccentric contractions-- as you yourself suggest. He also confirms it is also very exhausting and can absolutely serve as your cardio. 

I hope to try this "row" myself this week-- but, I can vouch for what I have done in my workouts as a result of your training logs. This stuff works. I modify it to the gym where I train- but, it does indeed feel great- especially a sled push/leg extension superset. I guess I have never heard you define your cardio as eccentric-less & the "row" is a novel, intriguing tip-- so, I hope I am not outta line by sharing.