Biotest

Mark Dugdale Log 1

And one more using the T-Nation Dead-Squat Bar Superset with Leg Extension Drop Sets…

[quote]Mark Dugdale wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:
Hi Mark, apologies if you’ve addressed this previously. You’ve mentioned doing KB swings as finishing/conditioning work. In that regard, I was hoping you’d share your thoughts re a couple of topics:

1. The weight of the KB…Do you think it’s better to use a lighter KB that can be swung explosively, or one that’s heavier? Or should the weight be dictated by the purposes/goals of the workout?
  2. If the goal is conditioning, how would you suggest KB-swing programming be set up?

Thanks in advance![/quote]

I used the largest KB available at the Gold’s Gym where I train which I think is 50lbs. This was a pretty good weight for me to do 10 sets of 10 swings. I use the KB more more conditioning than hypertrophy, so my goal is explosiveness. Explosive concentric movements increase insulin sensitivity and aid the CNS recovery.

The 10 sets of 10 are done with me performing 10 reps, resting while my wife does her 10 reps, then she rests while I go and so forth. If you’re cardiovascular capacity isn’t great then you might have to start with 5 sets of 10 and build up from there. I certainly think you could go beyond 10 sets, but I would limit the total time doing KB swings as you would with other forms of HIIT…10-20 minutes max.

Hope this helps![/quote]

It does. Thanks!

Hey Mark,John is releasing the honey badger soon on his website and I was thinking of purchasing it.just wondering if that was apart of your offseason plan or precontest?thanks

Hi Mark,

From his point of view and as a professional Ifbb, what is needed John Meadows to achieve the pro card.

I understand that John does not have the best symmetry, but its size and general condition is downright excellent

[quote]Chris_A wrote:
Yes I have. The first time I bought it was in July of 2013. I was going on my honeymoon and knew I’d be pigging out every single day. Since then I’ve added it to every single order I make from Biotest.[/quote]

It lowered my blood glucose levels significantly. Very effective stuff.

[quote]stevo1609 wrote:
Hey Mark,John is releasing the honey badger soon on his website and I was thinking of purchasing it.just wondering if that was apart of your offseason plan or precontest?thanks[/quote]

Explain this honey badger…

The honey badger is a program that John Meadows came up with for Mark. John comes up with all of these training programs and names them and I believe Mark actually came up with this name. But on johns website mountaindogdiet.com he’s releasing the exact 12 week training program to the public for a price and he usually doesn’t do this so it’s exciting. If you haven’t checked out mountaindogdiet.com yet then check it out it’s $9 a month but totally worth it there’s so much helpful info on it

[quote]stevo1609 wrote:
The honey badger is a program that John Meadows came up with for Mark. John comes up with all of these training programs and names them and I believe Mark actually came up with this name. But on johns website mountaindogdiet.com he’s releasing the exact 12 week training program to the public for a price and he usually doesn’t do this so it’s exciting. If you haven’t checked out mountaindogdiet.com yet then check it out it’s $9 a month but totally worth it there’s so much helpful info on it[/quote]

Ah…

[quote]stevo1609 wrote:
Hey Mark,John is releasing the honey badger soon on his website and I was thinking of purchasing it.just wondering if that was apart of your offseason plan or precontest?thanks[/quote]
I know that I gave John the Honey Badger name for the program, but I cannot remember exactly when I performed it. I think it was last winter/spring so it was part off-season and part pre-contest leading to my May 2014 competitions. A lot of occlusion training from what I remember.

Funny story…my training partner started calling me Honey Badger. I finally got pissed and said that’s like calling me a squirrel…what the hell is a honey badger anyway? My training partner sends me a video of the honey badger in action (check out YouTube) and this animal is a total badass…totally relentless! Ha!

[quote]THE WALL wrote:
Hi Mark,

From his point of view and as a professional Ifbb, what is needed John Meadows to achieve the pro card.

I understand that John does not have the best symmetry, but its size and general condition is downright excellent[/quote]

I was at NPC Nationals this past week, thus the reason I haven’t been checking in here. Anyway, John was as ripped, dry and full as he’s ever been. The only thing holding him back is his shape…which I don’t think is that bad. It’s a hard pill to swallow when you did everything you could and still come up short. I wouldn’t have had John winning, but I don’t have an answer for him being out of the top 5.

Sorry for the hiatus, but Christina and I were in South Beach Miami for Nationals last week. Here is pic with Jay…we’ve been friends with him since 1999…great guy!

Hi Mark.

I was curious to hear your opinion on canola oil. I hear many people say lots of bad things about it but was interested to know what you think about it since you are not only into bodybuilding, but also into being healthy at the same time.

Thanks,
Chris

[quote]Chris_A wrote:
Hi Mark.

I was curious to hear your opinion on canola oil. I hear many people say lots of bad things about it but was interested to know what you think about it since you are not only into bodybuilding, but also into being healthy at the same time.

Thanks,
Chris[/quote]
Hi Chris,
Canola oils is actually a specifically bread form of rapeseed oil. I’m not an expert, but here are a few reasons why I personally avoid canola oil:

1. Monsanto created a GMO form of this rapeseed (canola oil) to make it resistant to RoundUp. Nearly all rapeseed (canola oil) is genetically modified to allow the plant to resist high doses of the toxic herbicide RoundUp. I avoid known toxins.

2. “Experts” claim it’s low saturated fat content is heart healthy, but I don’t buy into the claim that saturated fats is bad for you. Canola oil is higher in polyunsaturated fats, yet they are easily oxidized during the high heat refinement process. I avoid oils that are likely rancid.

3. The refinement process also includes the use of the toxic substance hexane. Once again, I’m not a fan of known toxins.

I would consider soybean oil to be worse than canola, but not by much. There are too many other healthier alternatives such as olive oil, coconut oil, grass-fed/organic butter, avocado oil, red palm oil, etc.

Hope this gives you some insight into my thoughts on canola oil.

Someone recently asked if they could come train with me. I said, “Sure, I typically train at 5:30am in Kirkland. Which body part do you want to join me on?” Turns out 5:30am is too early for them so they passed, lol.

Anyway, in light of my answer they asked what I ate before training. I said I consume at least 1 serving of Plazma before I enter the gym and another 2 to 3 servings throughout the workout. I don’t think the individual ever used Plazma, so they were surprised that I had enough energy to train without consuming a whole food meal.

I hated switching to early AM workouts initially, but now I prefer them. One reason is I wake up with essentially an empty stomach so it makes ingesting 4 servings of Plazma much easier than trying to do it after a days worth of whole food meals. Optimizing Plazma is a priority because it’s the most valuable supplement in my arsenal when fighting for new muscle.

I’m curious if anyone else trains this early in the morning and if so, what is your food/supplement protocol?

Someone recently asked if they could come train with me. I said, “Sure, I typically train at 5:30am in Kirkland. Which body part do you want to join me on?” Turns out 5:30am is too early for them so they passed, lol.

Anyway, in light of my answer they asked what I ate before training. I said I consume at least 1 serving of Plazma before I enter the gym and another 2 to 3 servings throughout the workout. I don’t think the individual ever used Plazma, so they were surprised that I had enough energy to train without consuming a whole food meal.

I hated switching to early AM workouts initially, but now I prefer them. One reason is I wake up with essentially an empty stomach so it makes ingesting 4 servings of Plazma much easier than trying to do it after a days worth of whole food meals. Optimizing Plazma is a priority because it’s the most valuable supplement in my arsenal when fighting for new muscle.

I’m curious if anyone else trains this early in the morning and if so, what is your food/supplement protocol?
[/quote]

I’m in there at around 5:20AM :wink:

Indigo-3G, PA, and whatever else I’m running at ~4:25AM. 1 serving Plazma + stimulants at ~4:45AM. Shower, answering nature, etc. out the door at ~5:15AM. Walk to the gym and I’m there at roughly ~5:20AM. Done.

Up at 5am drink 1/2 the serving of Surge Workout Fuel and the rest on way to the gym get there 5:20am. Protein/creatine shake after, then oatmeal and off to work. Plazma just ordered, interested to see the difference.

A lot of great info in these logs, thanks!

This got my heart rate up…

my rate went up just watching. :slight_smile:

What is a good substitute for backward prowler push? I would think maybe like wall squat holds for 30-60 seconds, what do you think?

[quote]Georgie0515 wrote:
What is a good substitute for backward prowler push? I would think maybe like wall squat holds for 30-60 seconds, what do you think?[/quote]

Wall squat hold is an option, but it isn’t exactly the same. Wall sits are more like an isohold - no eccentric or concentric.

Ideally, you would attach a rope, chain or band to one or more 100 or 45lb plates and drag them walking backwards across the gym floor. Another option is pushing a car across the parking lot backwards.

While this will include both eccentric and concentric contractions, you could do reverse banded hack squats with fairly light weight and alternate one leg at a time. Left leg, right leg, left leg, right leg, etc for about 30 reps each leg. Work the middle portion of the rep range to keep constant tension on the quads.

[/quote]

430 am coffee with 14g of fat from coconut milk
5am workout 30g carb intra and 15g EAA
Post 3 cups cereal and 2 scoops whey