Biotest

Mark Dugdale Log 1

It’s really cool joining forces with T Nation and Biotest because of their passion for building and fueling high performance muscle. I’ve been pushing iron for 23 years and competing in bodybuilding for 21. When my coach, John Meadows, took my training to 7 days a week 16 months ago I thought he was crazy. I trained with the Dorian Yates philosophy and hitting my late 30’s I didn’t expect my recovery ability to withstand a 7-day onslaught. Enter Plazma, MAG-10 and Indigo-3G. The protocol Tim suggested quickly ramped up my recovery abilities and there was no keeping me from the gym…7-days-a-week! Goodbye cardio; hello iron!

I’m now entering back into a diet phase as I look to spring contests to capture another Olympia qualification. This time I have Micro-PA added to the arsenal, so I’m super excited to see what impact it will bring.

I’ll be checking in here on a regular basis to share the journey with you and to answer questions. What excites me as much as my own personal improvements, is the ability to help others achieve their best.

Mark, I’ve always admired your physique, personal demeanor, and training style. You’ve always been a class act. One of the most difficult things for someone who has gained alot of quality mass and is already a top level competitor is gain even more. I’m so happy Biotest is offering the experiences of different high level body builders as everyone’s physiology is different. It will interesting to correlate specific changes you notice with Micro-PA intake with the others (John and Amit).

T-Nation started as an online magazine that focused on body building. I’m so extremely happy it appears to be returning to that.

Have you noticed any observable benefits from micro-PA? Anything obvious such as strength increase, increased Apetite, ability to eat more, etc? It seems like indigo is more subtle and not something you can feel, but what about micro-PA?

Good luck to ya mark! Hopefully you get the recognition on stage that you have deserved!

Been following Mark for a time. Big fan from Sweden. I was just wondering now you train 7 days a week, whats your training split? Good luck in the spring.

So happy to follow your path here Mark!!! You’ll do great for sure!
Gabri from Italy is in the house :slight_smile:

[quote]buffd_samurai wrote:
Mark, I’ve always admired your physique, personal demeanor, and training style. You’ve always been a class act. One of the most difficult things for someone who has gained alot of quality mass and is already a top level competitor is gain even more. I’m so happy Biotest is offering the experiences of different high level body builders as everyone’s physiology is different. It will interesting to correlate specific changes you notice with Micro-PA intake with the others (John and Amit).

T-Nation started as an online magazine that focused on body building. I’m so extremely happy it appears to be returning to that. [/quote]
Thank you for the kind response buffd_samurai. You really hit the nail on the head in saying that it is difficult for someone who has already gained a lot of quality mass to gain even more. Frankly, a couple years ago I felt myself stagnating and wondering if I had maxed my potential.

All that changed when I met John and it really changed when Tim put me on a protocol of Biotest products…primarily Plazma, Indigo-3G and MAG-10. It was very exciting knowing that there was a way to push the envelope legally. John provided the work and Biotest ensure I not only recovered, but grew. This is exceedingly exciting to me!

[quote]Mr. AWEstomy wrote:
Have you noticed any observable benefits from micro-PA? Anything obvious such as strength increase, increased Apetite, ability to eat more, etc? It seems like indigo is more subtle and not something you can feel, but what about micro-PA?[/quote]

The most attributable “feeling” I get from Micro-PA is body heat. When taking it pre-workout I feel hotter and more thermic for a long period of time after training. Taking a second dose at a different time of the day (even without training) and consuming 2 servings of MAG-10 I feel that same post-workout thermic effect. I approached Micro-PA hoping for hypertrophy, but I think the process of ramping up protein synthesis will favorably impact body composition as well.

[quote]d.m.l wrote:
Been following Mark for a time. Big fan from Sweden. I was just wondering now you train 7 days a week, whats your training split? Good luck in the spring.[/quote]
Thank you, d.m.l. Presently it is as follows:

Mon - heavy legs
Tues - heavy chest and shoulders
Wed - heavy back
Thurs - pump legs
Fri - pump chest and shoulders
Sat - arms
Sun - pump back

I was so amazed at what Plazma, MAG-10 and Indigo-3G did for my recovery ability in allowing me to go from 4 to 7 days a week; that John, Tim and Christian are now looking for an intelligent way for me to take my workout sessions to 10 or more times per week. I don’t know exactly what it will look like, but I am excited to share it with everyone as it unfolds!

[quote]Mark Dugdale wrote:

I was so amazed at what Plazma, MAG-10 and Indigo-3G did for my recovery ability in allowing me to go from 4 to 7 days a week; that John, Tim and Christian are now looking for an intelligent way for me to take my workout sessions to 10 or more times per week. I don’t know exactly what it will look like, but I am excited to share it with everyone as it unfolds![/quote]

Interesting, I was wondering what John would do in regards to AM and PM workouts. Given “unlimited” recovery, what his ideas would be in order to stimulate the most gains humanly possible.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:

I was so amazed at what Plazma, MAG-10 and Indigo-3G did for my recovery ability in allowing me to go from 4 to 7 days a week; that John, Tim and Christian are now looking for an intelligent way for me to take my workout sessions to 10 or more times per week. I don’t know exactly what it will look like, but I am excited to share it with everyone as it unfolds![/quote]

Interesting, I was wondering what John would do in regards to AM and PM workouts. Given “unlimited” recovery, what his ideas would be in order to stimulate the most gains humanly possible.[/quote]

This is something I’ve wondered, too. Please keep us in the loop, Mark.

How much stage weight did you gain once you teamed up with JM and Biotest products? You looked like you slapped on a few pounds of muscle last time you stepped on stage.

[quote]iDrDan wrote:

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:

Interesting, I was wondering what John would do in regards to AM and PM workouts. Given “unlimited” recovery, what his ideas would be in order to stimulate the most gains humanly possible.[/quote]

This is something I’ve wondered, too. Please keep us in the loop, Mark.

How much stage weight did you gain once you teamed up with JM and Biotest products? You looked like you slapped on a few pounds of muscle last time you stepped on stage.[/quote]
Well, I stagnated trying to get back down to the 202lb cut-off after placing 4th in the 202 Olympia in 2009 and floundered there for a few years. At weigh-in at the 212 Olympia this past Sept I was around 211. I don’t think the weight is as much of a factor as the change in muscle fullness and density since working with John and using Biotest products.

[quote]Mr. AWEstomy wrote:
Have you noticed any observable benefits from micro-PA? Anything obvious such as strength increase, increased Apetite, ability to eat more, etc? It seems like indigo is more subtle and not something you can feel, but what about micro-PA?[/quote]

The most attributable “feeling” I get from Micro-PA is body heat. When taking it pre-workout I feel hotter and more thermic for a long period of time after training. Taking a second dose at a different time of the day (even without training) and consuming 2 servings of MAG-10 I feel that same post-workout thermic effect. I approached Micro-PA hoping for hypertrophy, but I think the process of ramping up protein synthesis will favorably impact body composition as well.[/quote]

THIS is what I’ve been waiting for: an experience from someone taking Micro-PA at a different time of the day from training!!! Thanks Mark.

No thermic effect for me…yet.

Mark, quick question. What is the hardest muscle for you to mentally connect too and how have you approached fixing that problem for that particular muscle?

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Mark, quick question. What is the hardest muscle for you to mentally connect too and how have you approached fixing that problem for that particular muscle?[/quote]

I don’t know that I have much of a problem mentally connecting anymore, but earlier in my career it was definitely back. Here are the top contributors to overcoming this obstacle and really connecting mentally when training back:

1. Using less weight. Too often people move weight more than feeling and targeting the given muscle.

2. Training unilaterally (one-arm exercises). There is something about performing back exercises one-side-at-a-time that really allows me to engage the area I am trying to hit.

3. Plazma…you get a better idea of what the muscle feels like when contracting it while massively pumped.

Hope this helps!

I probably would have listed those exact 3.

JM

Well, I’m in good company then John.

This will only work for your limbs, but if someone experiences difficulty connecting mentally with quads, hams, biceps, triceps or calves…there is always occlusion training where you restrict blood flow with wraps to the muscle and perform four rounds of 15 reps. You will FEEL the muscle like you never felt it before…

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Mark, quick question. What is the hardest muscle for you to mentally connect too and how have you approached fixing that problem for that particular muscle?[/quote]

I don’t know that I have much of a problem mentally connecting anymore, but earlier in my career it was definitely back. Here are the top contributors to overcoming this obstacle and really connecting mentally when training back:

1. Using less weight. Too often people move weight more than feeling and targeting the given muscle.

2. Training unilaterally (one-arm exercises). There is something about performing back exercises one-side-at-a-time that really allows me to engage the area I am trying to hit.

3. Plazma…you get a better idea of what the muscle feels like when contracting it while massively pumped.

Hope this helps!
[/quote]

Oh wow, this is very helpful!!

Quick question though:
Typically on my back day I will do some t-bar rows or bent over rows, barbell rows or DB rows as my “heavy” shit, and then do some lighter stuff for high reps like latpull down, seated row cable, kayak rows, etc…
The light stuff I feel it burny in my back, but with the heavy stuff I just try to get strong and don’t worry as much about the mind muscle connection.

Should I also make my heavier stuff lighter? I felt like it was good to have a combination of both the manly grunty stuff and the light girly stuff haha.

Thanks for any advice !

[quote]Spock81 wrote:
Oh wow, this is very helpful!!

Quick question though:
Typically on my back day I will do some t-bar rows or bent over rows, barbell rows or DB rows as my “heavy” shit, and then do some lighter stuff for high reps like latpull down, seated row cable, kayak rows, etc…
The light stuff I feel it burny in my back, but with the heavy stuff I just try to get strong and don’t worry as much about the mind muscle connection.

Should I also make my heavier stuff lighter? I felt like it was good to have a combination of both the manly grunty stuff and the light girly stuff haha.

Thanks for any advice ! [/quote]
Personally, my goal is a big, detailed, dense back when I step onstage. The only one impressed with how much weight you move in the gym are dudes and they’re not high on my priority list.

The only exercise where sometimes you may go for simply moving heavy ass weight is on deads or rack pulls. My lower back gets easily jacked up so I rarely perform these exercises because I would rather my back stay healthy so I can squat ever week. Feel is much more important to me for stimulating growth.

I do dumbbell rows with 150’s which isn’t particularly girlish. However, I only use them because I can effectively feel my back working as I grind out sets with this weight.

That’s my thoughts.