Biotest

Marathon in May, V-Diet Now?

Looking to start another round this Monday. I am running my 4th marathon this may 17th/18th and my logical side is telling me that running a V-Diet now would help me with my marathon time and training. A lower weight = faster times, less stress on joints etc. Am I on the right track here or is there anything I am missing?

I would not suggest a V-Diet or any lower carb diet to someone who competes in marathons.

Now, fat loss is one of the best performance enhancers in just about any sport outside of sumo, but I’d lose the extra fat first, then start marathon training.

Too many marathoners think they need junk carbs, like wheat and milk. Not true. But they do need adequate carbohydrates. These can come from clean foods and I’d suggest Surge Workout Fuel for training and competition day (and FINiBARs when available again.) But no, not a low carb, restricted-calorie diet.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
I would not suggest a V-Diet or any lower carb diet to someone who competes in marathons.

Now, fat loss is one of the best performance enhancers in just about any sport outside of sumo, but I’d lose the extra fat first, then start marathon training.

Too many marathoners think they need junk carbs, like wheat and milk. Not true. But they do need adequate carbohydrates. These can come from clean foods and I’d suggest Surge Workout Fuel for training and competition day (and FINiBARs when available again.) But no, not a low carb, restricted-calorie diet. [/quote]

I’m not sure you understood my question correctly. I am not intending on starting my marathon training until after the V-Diet is complete.
I am a previous to lifting marathoner. I have been lifting hard and heavy for 7 years and packed on a good 25lbs of muscle on my frame. Went from a skinny fat 195lbs to a muscular tiny bit soft 220lbs guy. I was hoping to reset my habits (again) so that I am consuming the right kind of carbs during and after runs. That along with the weight loss should make training much easier.
I see the advantage of drinking a post workout drink after runs so that I can curb craving bad carbs later in the day when I crash.

I’d say do it.

That’s fine if doing the V-Diet before starting marathon training.

BTW, it’s not just about post-workout nutrition. Old idea. Pre and during is more important, hence my suggestion for Surge Workout Fuel (pre and during) and FINiBARs (pre) for endurance/sport training and competition.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
That’s fine if doing the V-Diet before starting marathon training.

BTW, it’s not just about post-workout nutrition. Old idea. Pre and during is more important, hence my suggestion for Surge Workout Fuel (pre and during) and FINiBARs (pre) for endurance/sport training and competition.

[/quote]

For performance the pre and during is more important, but to curb any cravings I might have to open a bag of chips would be post nutrition. Am I right in this line of thinking?

If you’re having true cravings (not hunger, but cravings) then you have a food addiction. For most people, this is either wheat or milk. Drop those and replace with healthier carbs and the food addiction and cravings will go away. See the book “Wheat Belly” for full info on wheat addiction.

Also, keep in mind that one of the numerous drawbacks of lots of cardio is increased cravings, metabolism damage, and belly-fat gain. They sort of go along with the sport.