Biotest

Man in the Mirror

After spending 6 months abroad and 2.5 months in New York on an internship, I allowed myself to get the fattest I had ever been. At one point, I was less than a pound away from 200, and at 5’7", that was not good. Last March, I decided to do the V-Diet with great results: I lost 15-20 lbs and several inches around my waist, but more importantly, I reset my palette and began to enjoy/appreciate healthy foods. I also became considerably more confident in myself and in my body.

Last summer, I battled between continuing with my fat loss goals or focusing on a controlled mass phase to gain strength and size. Since T-Nation is predominately (or was originally intended to be) a forum for bodybuilders, the answer was clear: put on mass. Once again, the results were pretty good. My lifts increased considerably, and I definitely put on some size. At first, my diet was relatively clean, but as the weeks went by, my diet became progressively worse. I was never worried though, since I was working out 6 times a week, my lifts were improving every day, and my waistline wasn’t getting much bigger.

However, school and full-time recruiting kicked in, and with it, my 6x/week workouts stopped. However, my poor eating habits remained. This has resulted in me ballooning back up to where I was last March. Although I’m significantly stronger and have more muscle mass than I did last March, I need to do something about my continued fat gain.

That’s why I’ve decided to take the plunge again. I had great results the first time, and I know I can do it again.

The plan is to start on Monday, January 11th. I’m still undecided as to whether I’ll do the intermediate or advanced program. I like the exercise selection from the advanced program more, but I’m iffy about the overhead squat. However, the intermediate program worked well for me last time, so I may just stick with that one this time around. I’ll make my final decision by next week.

In the meantime, I’m leaving to go snowboarding in Colorado this afternoon and will not be back until the 9th (next Saturday), so I’ll respond to any comments once I’m back. I’ll start the pictures and stats on the 11th (next Monday).

Got back from my snowboarding trip yesterday morning. It was phenomenal. We got several inches of snow on the 3rd day, so there was a ton of powder on our last day. I fell quite a bit but fortunately did not break/tear/twist anything. However, my right shoulder joint is aching a bit, probably due to all the falling towards the end when I was doing blacks and double blacks but only had the skill to do blues and maybe blue blacks. Hopefully this isn’t an issue when I do chest and shoulder exercises, but we’ll play it by ear.

I received my V-Diet package yesterday, which consists of:
-8 bottles of Metabolic Drive chocolate
-1 bottle of Metabolic Drive strawberry
-1 bottle of Metabolic Drive banana
-2 bottles of Surge Recovery
-3 bottles of Flameout
-2 bottles of Superfood
-2 bottles of Leucine
-1 bottle of HOT-ROX

I went with a lot of chocolate Metabolic Drive because when I did this diet last March, the shake process was rather automatic. Having extra flavors was more of a burden than anything (I really didn’t like the vanilla Metabolic Drive), so I decided to keep things simple again. I bought 1 bottle of strawberry and banana just in case things got tough during the first week.

I bought an extra bottle of Surge Recovery and Flameout because I remember running out of both during Phase II. I may have also run out of Metabolic Drive during Phase II, so I might have to make another purchase anyways.

In addition to all that, I bought myself some milled flax, natty peanut butter, jasmine green tea, and peppermint tea, and I’ll be getting some Fiber Choice tablets and ground cinnamon tomorrow. I also have creatine, BCAAs, glutamine, and glycine that I planned on using for another fat-loss program that I may incorporate into this program.

I will be making a few changes to the workouts to suit my own goals. The basic template will be the same, but I plan on substituting some exercises with those I feel are more optimal. I may also add in an extra workout day for accessory/isolation exercises. I’m still messing around with the training program, but once I have it figured out, I’ll post it up here.

Keep in mind that this is my second time doing this, which is why I feel comfortable making some changes to the program. For those who are doing this for the first time, I very strongly recommend that you complete the program as is so you know how your body responds to the diet and the training program.

It all starts tomorrow. I can’t wait!

Day 1

Got off to a late start because I stayed up late watching movies, but that shouldn’t be a problem. Will post stats followed by pictures.

EDIT: I took my beginning photos but cannot find my camera cable. Once I find it or buy an SD card reader, I’ll post my pictures.

Finished the day with relative ease except for a few hunger pangs, but now I’m having second thoughts about the diet. Although I’m nowhere near where I want to be physique-wise, I just saw some pictures of someone with whom I started a mass-building program back in the summer. I stopped doing it in September because of the reasons I listed in my original post, but apparently he did not. Now, this guy is ripped, and it makes me want to continue with that program to gain some considerable size and then cut down.

I’ll sleep on it. Hopefully I figure something out.

Day 2

I’ve been low on energy all day. I haven’t had any cravings or anything, but I just don’t feel like going to the gym. That won’t be a problem, though. I just had shake #4 and will wait about 30 minutes before heading out for my first workout.

I thought about it, and I’ve decided to stick with the diet. I’ve already purchased all my supplies, so it’d be a waste to quit now. I’ll always have time to get big after these 6 weeks are up.

Like I mentioned before, I planned on changing up my workout to suit my needs. Big Beyond Belief, a training program by Leo Costa, gave me some serious gains last summer. It’s different from the V-Diet training program, but essentially it’s still a total body workout. Since I’ll be working out 4x a week, I’m going to add in another day of Surge Recovery. Will the extra 330 kcal hinder my progress? Doubtful since I needed to eat like an animal when I was on this program. Hopefully, I don’t get sick from the ramping process (due to the lack of kcals), but we’ll see.

Here’s my workout template (subject to change based on how I feel):

Monday
Rest: 120s
Sets: 3-5
Reps: 13-15

One-arm DB rows
Hammer Strength incline press
Alt. DB curls
Seated calf raise

Tuesday
Rest: 120s
Sets: 3-5
Reps: 13-15

Seated DB press
Narrow grip dips
Back squat
Swiss ball leg curls
Captain’s chair leg raise

Wednesday - off

Thursday
Rest: 120
Sets: 1-5
Reps: 10-12

Wide-grip rack chins
DB decline press (neutral grip)
BB Romanian deadlift
Angled leg press
Cable Upright row
Leg press calf raise
DB Hammer curls
Wide reverse-grip Smith press

Friday - off

Saturday
Rest: 120
Sets: 1-5
Reps: 8-10

Front squat
Lying leg curls
BB Incline press
Bent-over BB row
BB Push press
Ab roller
Close-grip bench
EZ bar curls

Sunday
Rest: 0
Circuits: 6-7
Reps: 10

Jump Squat
Hand Walkout from knees
Single-Leg Deadlift -arms out to sides
Push-Up -clap
Jumping Jack
Reverse Lunge -twist
Pike Push-Up
Squat Thrust

I’ll reevaluate at the end of the week to see how I feel and make any necessary adjustments.

Summary of the changes I made to the program:

-Different training program
-Extra serving of Surge Recovery since I’m working out 4x a week
-5g creatine a day (plus an additional 5g on workout days)
-5g of glutamine a day (to aid with recovery)
-multivitamin
-1000mg calcium supplement

Another thing to note: The original program called for using Surge Recovery as a post-workout drink. I’ll be taking it before and during my workout per Christian Thibaudeau’s recommendations (see any of his posts on para-workout nutrition). Same amount (2 scoops)… just changing the timing.

Time to get my pump on.

The weightlifting gods spoke to me tonight when I almost passed out after doing my one-arm DB rows (aka Kroc rows). I don’t know if it was due to the intensity, volume, or the sugar rush (from drinking my Surge Recovery during my workout), but I felt extremely nauseous after my first exercise and had to lay down for about 20 minutes. The feeling was comparable to the time I donated blood and passed out shortly thereafter due to low blood sugar. I also “lost” about $5 of Biotest products outside my car afterwards.

As a result, I have decided to put the diet on hold indefinitely. I don’t know if I’ll pick it back up or if I’ll move on to something else (putting on mass like I spoke of earlier). It sucks because I have all this protein powder in my room, and in a mass-gaining phase, I’d prefer to get all my kcals from whole foods (but if I were to use powders, I’d rather have something fast-digesting like whey rather than casein). Hopefully I can figure something out.

In the meantime, I plan on slowly moving back to solid food. Tomorrow I plan on having 2 shakes and 2 solid meals, and hopefully I’ll be back to solid meals by Thursday. Whether I restart the diet next week is up in the air. Regardless of the decision, I’ll keep everyone posted.

Either way, I will continue to maintain a training log, whether it be here (V-Diet subforum) or in the main training log section. With only 7 months until I enter the real world, I need to get serious about my health and fitness.

Hey there, thought I’d leave a post.

The first couple days (or first week) of this diet SUCK! When I was 3 days in, I really wanted to quit too. (The only thing that kept me from quiting was the amount of money i put down on the supplements and the shame of telling my bf that i was going to let him do the diet by himself.) However, with that being said, I stuck with it (i’m on day 12 now) and you should stick with it too. It really will get better. You just have to push through that first wall. Also… i’m sure Chris would recommend that you stop modifying the diet (when you do that, you make it the jo3-diet and not the V-Diet). Perhaps the reason you are struggling is because you are changing it, and not letting the diet do what it was designed to do?

Anyway, good luck… just thought i’d provide some tough love :o)

[quote]sugar-n-spice wrote:
Hey there, thought I’d leave a post.

The first couple days (or first week) of this diet SUCK! When I was 3 days in, I really wanted to quit too. (The only thing that kept me from quiting was the amount of money i put down on the supplements and the shame of telling my bf that i was going to let him do the diet by himself.) However, with that being said, I stuck with it (i’m on day 12 now) and you should stick with it too. It really will get better. You just have to push through that first wall. Also… i’m sure Chris would recommend that you stop modifying the diet (when you do that, you make it the jo3-diet and not the V-Diet). Perhaps the reason you are struggling is because you are changing it, and not letting the diet do what it was designed to do?

Anyway, good luck… just thought i’d provide some tough love :o)[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback. I got a bit too cocky about my ability to handle the diet/program since it felt very easy when I did it for the first time last March. The volume I intended to do was way too much, and having my blood sugar spike during the workout certainly did not help.

I was pretty set on spending the next 2-3 months on a mass phase (continuing what I had been doing successfully last summer). However, I’ve been having a lot of pain in my right shoulder joint. I’m guessing that I injured it during my snowboarding trip (but didn’t notice it due to the adrenaline rush). Yesterday, I had a tough time doing any pressing movements (there was a lot of discomfort even with my warm-up weights). I also couldn’t do back squats because of the shoulder pain when grabbing the barbell.

Because of the shoulder issue, I realized that it would be impossible to hit the weights hard, which would be required on a mass phase. Therefore, I’ve decided to restart the V-Diet, starting next Monday (Jan. 18). I’ll be taking a look at the training program to see if there are any movements I’ll have problems doing due to the shoulder issue. Whether I substitute the exercise for something else is still up in the air. I plan on doing some shoulder rehab work every day, so hopefully that helps out.

Back on the chopping block in 2 days!

Day 1 (take 2)

Beginning weight: 196.7

I’m a little behind in my shake schedule due to waking up late, but that shouldn’t be a problem. Forgot how strong HOT-ROX was, even for a stimulant-insensitive guy like me (I can drink a cup of coffee before going to bed). The jittery sensation doesn’t bother me, however.

I plan on following the diet/program strictly this week (substituting exercises as necessary if my shoulder doesn’t hold up). If things go smoothly this week, I may add in 1-2 extra exercises to the end of my workouts, but they won’t be anything draining (mostly shoulder rehab and accessary work).

I’ll be using the same numbers/pictures from last week. Other than a slight weight increase from indulging last night, everything seems to be the same (used my waist measurement as a proxy).

Pictures up in the next couple of posts.

Day 0, 1/11/10
Front/Back

Day 0, 1/11/10
Left/Right

Wish I had straightened out my posture a bit. I guess that’s one of the downsides of taking pictures in the morning… your head’s not always on straight.

Today’s workout kicked my ass. The front squats drained me much more than I had expected. As a result, my rest intervals were about 45 seconds each, as opposed to the prescribed 30 seconds. I’ll be sure to fix that next week.

Workout stats:

Front squat
225 x 2
205 x 4,3,2,2,2,2,1,2
Total reps: 20

Hammer Strength iso row - (hits my back a lot better than lat pulldowns)
230 x 5,4,4,3,3,3
Total reps: 22

DB bench press - (thought I would have problems with this b/c of my shoulder, but it really wasn’t an issue)
75s x 4,3,2,3,2,2,2,2
Total reps: 20

Ab roller - (too easy… may replace it)
BW x 10,7,6,5
Total reps: 28

NEPA: 40 minutes on upright bike

Hey jo3 glad to see you “back on the wagon” so to speak. I finished my first day of week 2 today and feel leaner, whether it’s psychological we’ll see. I’m going to do measurements and photos at the end of my second week so we’ll see how the progress looks to the rest of the world. Let’s rock this.

[quote]nateschmidt24 wrote:
Hey jo3 glad to see you “back on the wagon” so to speak. I finished my first day of week 2 today and feel leaner, whether it’s psychological we’ll see. I’m going to do measurements and photos at the end of my second week so we’ll see how the progress looks to the rest of the world. Let’s rock this.[/quote]

I’m sure it’s a mixture of psychological and physical. When I did the diet last year, weeks 2 and 3 were the easiest for me because I was super pumped and just felt good about the progress I was making. Week 4 was a different story (was getting tired of dieting). Just keep in mind that we’re our toughest critic, so even if you don’t see much progress in your week 2 photos, focus on the measurements. At the caloric deficit the V-Diet provides, there is no way you won’t lose fat.

Day 2 (take 2)

Beginning weight: 193.6

I’ve decided to track my weight every morning. Chris says that doing so will be mentally draining due to the daily fluctuations, but I think it’s better to get more data points to see the progress over time. 43 weigh-ins will show a much more accurate curve than 7 weigh-ins.

NEPA: Brisk walking around campus throughout the day

I am starving.

And DOMS/cramping is 100x worse on this diet.

Day 3

Beginning weight: 192.7

I was hungry all yesterday evening. Minor inconvenience, but it won’t stop me from finishing this diet.

I’m taking a beginner scuba diving course that meets in the pool every Wednesday. Today we have a swim evaluation which consists of:

-50yd sprint in 50 seconds
-200yd nonstop swim (no time limit)
-treading water for 10 minutes
-12.5yd swim, going up for air only once

I’m a terrible swimmer, so I’m slightly worried that my low caloric intake will make me even more terrible. Even if we don’t pass the test today, we have 8 weeks to “train” for it, so I’m not too concerned. I just need to learn to swim efficiently. I tire out way too quickly when I swim.

Strongly considering moving tonight’s workout to tomorrow. I’m just so exhausted from the swimming evaluation from this afternoon (which I passed fortunately, but that 200yd swim destroyed me!) that I don’t think I’ll have a productive workout. I’ll probably do something along the lines of:

Thurs- workout B
Sat- workout C
Sun- V-Burn
Mon- back on schedule

Day 4

Beginning weight: 192.3

Can’t remember being this hungry last year when I first did the diet. Maybe it’s because I’m starting out with more muscle but am consuming the same amount of calories as last year. All I know is the show must go on. The party hasn’t even started yet.

For those who may be lacking some motivation, here’s an inspirational thread:

Long story short, the OP became paralyzed (from the chest down) from a car accident in May 2009 but began posting on T-Nation only 3 months later (September) for training advice. If that’s not inspirational, then I don’t know what is.

I feel like I’m about to crack.