Biotest

Male vs Female Calories on V-Diet?

Hi Chris,

My partner Dave and I are about to commence the V-Diet with full vigour! However, I am a bit confused about the calories that the sign up page recommends for us both.

Dave is a 32yr old male - and weighs 174lbs - his calorific recommendation was 1380/1710
I am a 40yr old female - weight 176lbs my calorific recommendation was higher at 1485/1815.

Why does Dave have less daily calories than myself? I would have thought it would be the other way around.

Liz

Liz, the calculator just gives a rough estimate, and both numbers are low enough for fat loss. Now, if you’d like to drop one scoop of protein from the daily intake, that’s fine, but women tend to do better with slightly more calories when it comes to sticking to a diet.

HI Chris,

Whilst I can appreciate that the original figures pumped out of the website may be slightly inacurate due to the fact there is a difference in flaxseed contents ie, fat, calories etc. How do you account for the differences detailed on this spread sheet.

It shows a weekly difference of over 1300+ calories of actual intake above an beyond the figures the web produced.
I would asume the web figures outside of the flaxseed variation are very acurate as they are printed on the supplements.

I am only being so anal about the maths here because if I recomend this diet to some of the people I will train in the future, they may well ask the same questions.

Regards, Liz.

A serving of flax seed is usually 2 tablespoons. You’re doing 4.

Not so. The diet plan calls for 1 serving at meal 1 and at meal 4. Thats total 2 x servings.
Chris said 1 serving is 2 x tablespoons which is 2 x 14.3 grams so give or take 30g per serving which is a total of 4 tablespoons per day.

Even if you take out 1 complete serving a day, it would account for 153 of the 191 calorie differnce, but then the total fat figures still dont add up and would still be 20% higher than recomended.

Any thoughts?

[quote]Radical99 wrote:
Not so. The diet plan calls for 1 serving at meal 1 and at meal 4. Thats total 2 x servings.
Chris said 1 serving is 2 x tablespoons which is 2 x 14.3 grams so give or take 30g per serving which is a total of 4 tablespoons per day.
[/quote]

She’s got 30g listed as a serving of flax and taking that twice a day. That’s twice what it should be.

Sorry if I didn’t make that clear. It should be 15g twice a day.

Even if you take out 1 complete serving a day, it would account for 153 of the 191 calorie differnce, but then the total fat figures still dont add up and would still be 20% higher than recomended.

Any thoughts?

In this post

Chris clearly states that a typical serving is 2 table spoons.

In this link
http://www.convertunits.com/from/tablespoons/to/gram

It clearly states that 1 tablespoon is 15 grams so, Chris would you be able to clarify this as “cors” in his post seems to disagree with you.

Sorry guys but still confused… and no one is posting a final answer. :confused:

Diet plan says one serving in meal 1 and one serving in meal 4.

Chris said one serving = 2 tablespoons / 30g. So that equates to 2 servings of 2 tablespoons per day. Total 60g per day.

I just need clarification on how much flaxseed we should be having PER DAY. As the serving size Chris indicates, contradicts what corstijeir suggests we should be having.

HELP! :slight_smile:

Liz

Some people don’t even use the flax seed, so it doesn’t matter a whole lot. Put a spoonful in a shake or two. Don’t sweat the details.

Flaxseed contains 153 calories for a single 2tbsp serving. If I got it wrong then that’s 153 extra calories I dont need. Sorry for ‘sweating the details’ but I want to get this right if I’m going to commit to it 110%!! Thanks for your reply Chris… onwards!! :smiley:

[quote]Blue_Roan wrote:
Flaxseed contains 153 calories for a single 2tbsp serving. If I got it wrong then that’s 153 extra calories I dont need. Sorry for ‘sweating the details’ but I want to get this right if I’m going to commit to it 110%!! Thanks for your reply Chris… onwards!! :smiley: [/quote]

The milled flax in my fridge right now says 60 cals per 2 tablespoons.

Hi Chris,

I have been looking and weights and measures, there is some differences between UK and US but still not a massive amount, but people get confused between a dessert spoon, which is something you use every day to eat with and a table spoon which is considerably larger. To remove confusion let’s use weight instead. 1 Ounce is 28 grams so call it 30 as it normally gets rounded up for serving size.

We have bought Linwoods Organic Milled Flaxseed and for 1 ounce/30 grams is 153 k/cal. Are you working your 2xtablespoons out to be the same as 1 ounce?

If so we have managed to find a milled raw product which is well over twice as calorific as yours! I think more likely it’s a weights and measures thing, but do let me know.

Either way, might I suggest you take the same approach as the nut butter and give a calorific amount? It would save a lot of confusion I think and there is a big big difference between the 306 calls we get and the 120 calls you get every day for 6 weeks. maybe this has never cropped up as I would not imagine a lot of people will pay the cost to ship to the UK, it was very expensive. There are even further differences in weights and measures for Australia so again a good idea to express amounts in calories.

Please do let me know.

Cheers Dave.

Natural peanut butter has 200 calories per 2 tablespoons.

Dude, did you even read my post? I know we are from other sides of the ocean but it is still English we speak right? :slight_smile:

Let’s try this, can you please weigh for me two table spoons of the flaxseed in your fridge and let me know what it weighs?

13g.

Thank you Chris.

So that means “1 serving” in the UK is well over twice what you have in the US.

seriously, express the flaxseed as 60 calories, instead of one serving as this has been vey confusing and really annoying,especially when I am Mr Grumpy on day two of the diet.

cheers for sticking with me here.

Dave.