Biotest

Making the V-Diet Work at Work

I’m 26 and a lifter. I used to be pretty serious about Thai Kickboxing. And I’m a law student. I’m 250 or so, about 35 lbs more than my lightest ever, and could definitely stand to lose a whole bunch of fat. I have two questions:

I want to do the V-Diet. I did it before, made it half way, crapped out but still go results. I was in a good spot in terms of training and eating until about 6 months ago. For a variety of reasons (one major being my roommate’s girlfriend working at a brewery and as much free beer as I could drink) the wheels just came off.

Anyway, I want to lose fat. I think the V-Diet is the ticket. However, I’m really concerned with the impact the V-Diet will have at work- I think it will make everyone think I’m a nut.

I know many have said this before, but I’m starting a program in a few weeks where I’ll be working in a judge’s chambers. I have no idea what the expectation will be- group lunches, going out for a drink afterward, etc.

What have people done about this in the past? I know that Shugart has said repeatedly that the V-Dieter should just stand out in a situation like this, but I don’t know if that’s an option because I’m starting a new job. But I’m so sick of being fat! Seriously!

Another concern is that I anticipate kickboxing fairly rigorously again- that means 5-15 hours/week. I’m not sure what my schedule will be, but I’m going to box as much as possible, and I’m not sure if the V-Diet will jive well with all those hours of kick boxing- that’s some serious catabolization, right?

So, my two questions:

(1) Practical/realistic answers about the V-Diet and a new job and,
(2) Kickboxing many hours per week and the V-Diet

[quote]Cuchulain82 wrote:
So, my two questions:
(1) Practical/realistic answers about the V-Diet and a new job[/quote]
The V-Diet Lite plan might be a better first step this particular situation:

Basically it’s a breakfast shake and a nighttime shake, with “regular” solid meals during the day. That would give you a bit of flexibility for the unavoidable group lunches with the boss. However, for any Happy Hours, I’d suggest sticking with Jack and Diet Coke, hold the Jack.

You could plan on running a full V-Diet cycle in a few months once you’ve established yourself and gotten into the routine of the new job. I forget, what was the biggest issue with the first time you tried it?

Any extra cardio work is, as you said, not ideal. But I’m pretty sure people have had “okay-results” by drinking a full serving of Surge during the cardio, and skipping the NEPA for that day. It isn’t ideal, but if we want to rebuild that Muay Thai badassitude, that’ll probably be the way to get there.

Are you still doing kettlebell stuff, or was that another time/place?

P.S. - I’m pretty sure I sent the last e-mail ages ago, with no word back. :wink: Glad to hear things are going well up there in maple syrup country.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Cuchulain82 wrote:
So, my two questions:
(1) Practical/realistic answers about the V-Diet and a new job
The V-Diet Lite plan might be a better first step this particular situation:

Basically it’s a breakfast shake and a nighttime shake, with “regular” solid meals during the day. That would give you a bit of flexibility for the unavoidable group lunches with the boss. However, for any Happy Hours, I’d suggest sticking with Jack and Diet Coke, hold the Jack.

You could plan on running a full V-Diet cycle in a few months once you’ve established yourself and gotten into the routine of the new job. I forget, what was the biggest issue with the first time you tried it?

(2) Kickboxing many hours per week and the V-Diet
Any extra cardio work is, as you said, not ideal. But I’m pretty sure people have had “okay-results” by drinking a full serving of Surge during the cardio, and skipping the NEPA for that day. It isn’t ideal, but if we want to rebuild that Muay Thai badassitude, that’ll probably be the way to get there.

Are you still doing kettlebell stuff, or was that another time/place?

P.S. - I’m pretty sure I sent the last e-mail ages ago, with no word back. :wink: Glad to hear things are going well up there in maple syrup country.[/quote]

Hey buddy! It didn’t take you long to post here, did it? A few responses:

(1) The kickboxing badassitude has taken a serious hit because of law school- there simply isn’t anywhere to train. As I hinted at, I will be back in the City working for a judge for a semester, so I’m actually planning to go right back to my old gym.

(2) Kettlebells: I’m not really doing much with bells because I only have one 16k bell. Again, small-town Vermont is great for triathletes, but not so good for other things including kettlebells. What I mostly do now is throw the bell around and use it for high-rep ladders and warmups.

(3) Has anyone actually had success with the V-diet lite? No knock to it or anything, but I’m not so good at moderation (hence all the beer drinking); maybe I’ll be the test case?

(4) “Ages ago” seems like a bit of an exaggeration, but yes, I do owe you an e-mail. I’ll go do that now, in fact…

Hey buddy! It didn’t take you long to post here, did it?[/quote]
Ha, I’m around here every now and then, yeah.

This dude did the program when it came out, and ended up losing about 20 pounds in 6 weeks:
http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1741712

More recently, this guy lost about 13 pounds in two weeks:
http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2357186

I’m sure there are others out there though.

Don’t consider it moderation. Consider it a test of will. Can you stick to just two shakes and two to three properly planned solid meals for 8 weeks (or however long you figure)?

It’s basically the old fashioned “trade a few solid meals for smarter liquid meals” nutrition plan, with a modern, more effective twist. I’ll keep an eye out to see how it turns out.

Does it really matter what people think of you? Everyone does or doesn’t do something that at least someone would think you’re crazy for.

A lot of people might think you are nuts for a bit, but after 2 weeks on the diet, all these haters and doubters will start to give you complements and most likely be jealous.

You really don’t have to explain yourself to anyone unless you want to.

[quote]Bona wrote:
Does it really matter what people think of you? Everyone does or doesn’t do something that at least someone would think you’re crazy for.

A lot of people might think you are nuts for a bit, but after 2 weeks on the diet, all these haters and doubters will start to give you complements and most likely be jealous.

You really don’t have to explain yourself to anyone unless you want to.[/quote]

That’s true, but…

If you don’t mind my asking Bona, how old are you exactly? I ask because if you’re a highschool/college student who’s never had a professional job, it’s difficult for me to explain. I’ve gotta worry about all this real-world BS that is going to be amplified by the fact that I’m starting a new job.

(If you have held down a career-type job then forget all that above)

With that said, I’m gonna do it anyway. I’m sick of being a fatty. I measure my waist just a while ago- a whopping 43". Not good times. I’ll do the V-Diet and let the chips fall where they may.

What law school do you go to? I’m going into my third year at Albany Law.

If anyone understand what you’re asking, it would probably be me. I started at a law firm this summer and continued with my diet just fine. I still brought in my 3oz cheddar cheese/1oz nuts every day, and went home for lunch pretty much every day. I’m not on a weight loss diet right now, but point is I still felt comfortable being myself.

Thing is, nearly every adult wants to lose a few pounds. They all talk about it, but have no clue what to do and many don’t have the balls to put in the effort even if they did have a clue.

The biggest thing about those summer law jobs, at least with firms, is your personality. Your work product needs to be at least satisfactory, but that’s usually a given if you got the job in the first place. Point is, you can continue with your diet and just explain to people why you are doing it, and as long as you aren’t arrogant or conceited, it honestly shouldn’t be a problem. In fact, with the VD and its guaranteed results, they will probably envy you when you tell them you’ve lost about 15-20lbs in one month on this “ridiculous” diet (other peoples’ words, not mine).

Now I know you’re doing a clerkship instead of work at a firm, but the same ideas apply. Is this a situation where you could continue with the clerkship after you graduate, like a law firm? If it’s ONLY for a finite period, then that’s even more reason to do the diet because a full-time job isn’t on the line.

But even if one is, they will probably respect you for your dedication towards reaching a goal that almost everyone wants but so few can achieve.

Fuck everyone else. It’s 28 days of war. Win.

Bona wrote:

You really don’t have to explain yourself to anyone unless you want to.

That’s true, but…

If you don’t mind my asking Bona, how old are you exactly? I ask because if you’re a highschool/college student who’s never had a professional job, it’s difficult for me to explain. I’ve gotta worry about all this real-world BS that is going to be amplified by the fact that I’m starting a new job.

(If you have held down a career-type job then forget all that above)

With that said, I’m gonna do it anyway. I’m sick of being a fatty. I measure my waist just a while ago- a whopping 43". Not good times. I’ll do the V-Diet and let the chips fall where they may.[/quote]

I am 21, go to school, workout and hold down an internship at an accounting firm. I probably came off as a bit of a jackass, but I still think what I said is true to an extent.

Wether it’s at work or with my friends, people think I’m crazy with how I eat or spend time at a gym. But you cannot let shit like that get to you. If I did let it get to me, I would probably be fat and lazy.

Anyways, good luck with the V-Diet!

[quote]MeinHerzBrennt wrote:
What law school do you go to? I’m going into my third year at Albany Law.
[/quote]

I’m at Vermont Law School (the only law school in the state) and I will be a 3L in the fall as well. Have you taken the MPREs yet?

I actually agree with you and think you made a lot of sense. Being a clerk for a semester will be a great opportunity, but it is at base still a semester of credit; and I’m still fatter than I want to be. I think that what you said about dedication is accurate. I’m going to try to make it go. It is only 28 days, right?

@bona

You didn’t come off as a jerk or anything, you just sounded like you’d never had a career before. It’s the kind of thing that you learn from doing is all, so that’s why I ask. I appreciate your taking the time to post- really.

closed #10

closed #11

closed #12