Biotest

MAG-10 versus Metabolic Drive Protein

Chris,

I have been on the reactive pump program for about 7 weeks (MAG-10, Plazma, Indigo) and I am about to buy a bunch of supplements using the 15% off (thanks btw). My question has to do with MAG-10 versus the Metabolic Drive protein.

I have read several articles talking about how it is beneficial to use blended proteins because of the different amino acids and absorption time. The Metabolic Drive seems to be that blend whereas the MAG-10 does not. I could certainly buy both of them if it is beneficial to take one say post workout and another at a different time in the day. If you could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks.

I would be interested in this also. I recently purchased 2 tubs of MAG-10 to try. I want to use the MAG-10 before breakfast on an empty stomach, since I read it may be better at that time. Also I plan to use some MAG-10 throughout the day between meals, and after a workout. At the end of the day around 7pm I want to use a dose of Metabolic Drive low cal protein before I go to sleep to cover my protein needs throughout the night when Iâ??m sleeping.

In the past Iâ??ve always used Metabolic Drive lo cal protein as my last meal of the day.

<a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/metabolic-drive-low-carb"target=“new”>Metabolic Drive is a meal replacement shake, or used along with meals. This is where you want a blend of proteins, including “slow” ones, which is why many use Metabolic Drive at the end of the day.

<a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/mag-10"target=“new”>MAG-10 is a specialized drink for protein pulsing and workout nutrition. It’s fast acting, made to create sizeable amino-acid spikes. (The product page link above gets into the details there.) The protein in Mag-10 is comprised of a unique di- and tripeptide complex that’s transported --unaltered, requiring no further breakdown – directly into the bloodstream.

Mag-10 is not a “shake.” Optimal times for pulses are 30 minutes prior to meals, between meals, and post-workout, when the body is already in a hyper-responsive state and needs the additional protein.

Hope that helps.

I just noticed that, in the sample schedules on the Plazma Super Stack page ( http://www.T-Nation.com/store/packages/plazma-super-stack ), they include using MAG-10 and nuts as a bedtime snack.

That kind of confuses the answer or distinction here between using MAG-10 or using Metabolic Drive with its slower-digesting proteins at the end of the day.

Which is the more effective way to go, then?

[quote]Shadowhawk wrote:
I just noticed that, in the sample schedules on the Plazma Super Stack page ( http://www.T-Nation.com/store/packages/plazma-super-stack ), they include using MAG-10 and nuts as a bedtime snack.

That kind of confuses the answer or distinction here between using MAG-10 or using Metabolic Drive with its slower-digesting proteins at the end of the day.

Which is the more effective way to go, then?[/quote]

The nuts are used to slow down that faster-acting amino acid spike from the MAG-10, for a sustained release of the highly anabolic casein hydrolysate.

In terms of “effectiveness,” MAG-10 is superior for its ability to increase protein synthesis with fewer calories per serving than a Metabolic Drive–hence the term anabolic. Metabolic Drive is still a fantastic product that will get you lean and mean as well–for a lower cost per serving. Neither product replaces the anabolic effect of quality food.

Keep it simple, and just pick one or the other. The cost really ends up being the same anyway once you make provisions for the solid meals you’re eating in between or with these products.

Thanks for your thoughts, Eric!

I would use both, frankly – Fast absorbing MAG-10 first thing in the am and an hour after your peri-workout nutrition, and Metabolic Drive in the evenings.

In 25 years I have never experienced a protein powder as satiating as Metabolic Drive. It literally keeps me “full” all night, with negligible calories. An exceptional product.

[quote]Eric Buratty wrote:

[quote]Shadowhawk wrote:

Which is the more effective way to go, then?[/quote]

The nuts are used to slow down that faster-acting amino acid spike from the MAG-10, for a sustained release of the highly anabolic casein hydrolysate.

In terms of “effectiveness,” MAG-10 is superior for its ability to increase protein synthesis with fewer calories per serving than a Metabolic Drive–hence the term anabolic. Metabolic Drive is still a fantastic product that will get you lean and mean as well–for a lower cost per serving. Neither product replaces the anabolic effect of quality food.

Keep it simple, and just pick one or the other. The cost really ends up being the same anyway once you make provisions for the solid meals you’re eating in between or with these products.[/quote]

I respectfully disagree that MAG-10 couldn’t replace the anabolic effect of quality food. This comes from a previous food quantity eater of massive proportions.

MAG-10/Plazma, for me, has basically replaced most of my protein intake and I have never felt better nor realized better results from training with this replacement.

I still eat normal whole quality food of course, but that’s only because I love food. But I no longer worry about exact proportions of meat (for the protein amount), carbs, or fats. I’m more concerned with phytonutrient, enzyme, vitamins, and mineral content from a variety of food for health sake.

But anabolically? For me, MAG-10/Plazma kills food. Hand down.

Well, there’s more to whole food proteins than just their constitute amino acids!

Red meat for example is rich in zinc, iron, creatine, carnosine, B vitamins, good fats, etc.

However, for the peri-workout period you simply can’t beat something like MAG-10.

Combine a grassfed steak and some free range eggs with lots of MAG-10 in the peri-workout period as well as Metabolic Drive at night and you’d put on mass at an alarming rate.

[quote]Bryan Krahn wrote:
Well, there’s more to whole food proteins than just their constitute amino acids!

Red meat for example is rich in zinc, iron, creatine, carnosine, B vitamins, good fats, etc.

However, for the peri-workout period you simply can’t beat something like MAG-10.

Combine a grassfed steak and some free range eggs with lots of MAG-10 in the peri-workout period as well as Metabolic Drive at night and you’d put on mass at an alarming rate. [/quote]

Yes, definitely whole food contains nutrients other than aminos, etc…I think I indicated this in why I do consume some real food (well…other than, I like food!). I do enjoy steak, eggs, fish, and fowl.

But really now, and I am saying this with the utmost respect to everyone who thinks otherwise…I think the majority of us consume WAY TOO MUCH FOOD to begin with. I know I sure did. I used to be a believer that my body needed a massive amount of protein, good fats, phytonutrients, vitamins, minerals, etc…simply not true for me. A little goes a long way.

Like I indicated, I was a gigantic eater in the past. All it did ultimately was blow my digestive system to hell in my older age. With my very much smaller meals (at most 2 a day now) and copious amounts of di/tri-peptides, my health has never been better. My blood work is fantastic. I feel a ton better. Changing my diet this way has helped me to continue to make wonderful progress in my bodybuilding endeavors; I couldn’t be happier.

This being said, I do take in other supplements that perhaps help me as well: I do take superfood, fish oil (Flameout), and eat alot of sauerkraut/Kim Chee.

Some may think, oh my goodness…the cost! Guess what? The amount I was eating before costs MORE than my current eating and supplement regimen. I am actually saving money and no longer a slave to the kitchen and preparing several meals a day everyday. I’ll take my new nutritional strategy over any other right now any day.