Biotest

MAG-10 Timing Post-Workout

How important is it to take the MAG-10 one hour post workout? Does it lose its efficacy if I take it immediately after a workout?

FYI, I plan to consume one dose of Plazma before the lift and one does during the lift. I believe this factors into the timing of MAG-10 but not sure.

Yes, when using Plazma before and during, it’s best to wait about an hour after training to pulse with Mag-10 to get the maximal effect. It’s all about those spikes. The <a href="http://www.T-Nation.com/store/products/MAG-10"target=“new”>MAG-10 page gets into the details about that when it discusses protein pulsing.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Yes, when using Plazma before and during, it’s best to wait about an hour after training to pulse with MAG-10 to get the maximal effect. It’s all about those spikes. The <a href="http://www.T-Nation.com/store/products/MAG-10"target=“new”>MAG-10 page gets into the details about that when it discusses protein pulsing. [/quote]

got it. Much appreciate Chris.

Hello Chris,

But on the label of PLAZMA is the MAG-10 15 min. postworkout!

My supplement schedule is:

5:50 - 10min pre workout 1 serving PLAZMA
6:00 - during training 2 or 3 servings PLAZMA
7:30 - Immediately post-workout 1 serving MAG-10
8:30 - 1 hour post workout another serving MAG-10
9.15 - 1 hour and 45min post workout solid meal

Is this good?

Your schedule looks great. Here’s the Plazma label recs for Mag-10.

Chris, I’m curious about the recommendation to consume a second MAG-10 one hour after the first (post-training) pulse. In a recent article by Dr. Mike Roussell, I asked him about this; his opinion was that it was better to consume the 2 MAG-10 pulses as a single dose, rather than 2 pulses separated by an hour–especially if you’re an older lifter (over 40). His reasoning was that a 1 hour separation in pulses would not allow sufficient time for the first pulse to return to baseline, and secondly that older lifters have a muted response to protein: it takes a larger dose of protein to maximally stimulate protein synthesis.

Given that I’m 52, I’d like to know your opinion on this. I understand the concept of “anabolic resistance” as one ages. Is this just me being picayune , or is there an advantage in consuming the 2 post-training MAG-10 pulses either together, or separated by an hour?

What I’ve been doing is cutting the difference: I have a single 3 scoop (30gram) pulse 1 hour post training. I feel like 4 scoops is just too much, and I see no real further advantage in this as a single dose. Unfortunately, I have to cut back somewhat on my supplement budget, so I’m limiting myself to just 2 MAG-10 pulses a day. Give that, would you:

A) consume as a single 4 scoop pulse post-training
B) consume as a single 3 scoop pulse post training (thus causing me to “loose” a 1/2 pulse for the day)
C) consume as 2 single serving pulses separated by 2 hours (in order to allow the first pulse to return to baseline)

Thanks,

Crowbar

Good questions here. And we’re always learning more about workout nutrition and protein pulsing. Honestly, all of those methods seem to work, and we have had some athletes and bodybuilders do a double-dose pulse post-workout and report good results. Maybe we’ll learn that one method is 5-10% better than the other, so I’d say to just go with what’s working for you and what fits your schedule and Mag-10 budget. I like your “cutting the difference” plan and might just play around with that myself.

One thing I’m pretty sure of, is that a single dose MAG-10 post training is not optimal. I did see greater recovery from a 3 scoop pulse as opposed to a single 2 scoop pulse. I did not, however, seem to notice any additional benefit from a 4 scoop pulse. According to the research summarized by Dr. Roussell, maximum post training protein synthesis occurs around 35g. protein

Crowbar

[quote]crowbar46 wrote:
One thing I’m pretty sure of, is that a single dose MAG-10 post training is not optimal. I did see greater recovery from a 3 scoop pulse as opposed to a single 2 scoop pulse. I did not, however, seem to notice any additional benefit from a 4 scoop pulse. According to the research summarized by Dr. Roussell, maximum post training protein synthesis occurs around 35g. protein

Crowbar[/quote]

Dr. Mike is a smart guy, but keep the source of the protein in mind. Not all protein is created equal and a lot of studies just use a generic whey. This snippet from the Mag-10 page gets into it:

Peptide structures - growth hormone and insulin being examples - have biological activities beyond regular amino acids. The peptide structures in Mag-10 also have biological activities above and beyond regular amino acids, making it a totally different animal. In fact, only 20 grams of protein from Mag-10 stimulates protein synthesis, as well as other muscle building and recovery effects, to a far greater degree than what you would get from 100s of grams of conventional protein.