Biotest

MAG-10 Pulse Fast

Chris,

I have a question regarding the MAG-10 36 hour pulse fast. I have been eating clean for 5 days of the week, then on the 6th day I have been off of a diet…eating what I want…like FROYO!!..yum ;). Not going totally crazy, but eating carbs for a day basically. Then on the 7th day I do the MAG-10 36 hour pulse fast.

My question is…I don’t feel like I am getting more lean incorporating the 36 hour pulse fast, but am wondering if I have not been doing it long enough to judge the outcome. I have been eating this way with the 36 hour pulse fast for 4 weeks now. It is probably working, but I am not sure if it may be hindering my metabolism since I am not eating food for 36 hours each week.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you!

One of the main benefits of the Pulse Past is the rebound effect in muscle gains: what you do and how you eat and supplement the next day. Not so much pure fat loss, but muscle gain in the goal.

Could also be that you’re not eating as cleaning as you think 5 days per week, then your “cheat” day is cheatier than you think. I’m just guessing of course, but it’s not often that I find someone who says they eat clean who actually eats clean. So you could be taking a step forward with the Pulse Fast, then 2 steps back with the next six days.

I’d be glad to look over your diet and food selection if you want to post it.

Chris,

Thanks for the info. I have noticed muscle gains since I have been doing the MAG-10 pulse fasts when I think about it. I have PB’s every week, but am not sure if I can attribute that to the MAG-10, or the workout plan that I am on right now. Maybe both. It’s an Athletes Performance style of workout. I am in the getting strong stage.

Anyway, I know what you are saying by people saying that they eat clean and have a crappy diet. I am not one of those people though. I am not saying that I am gaining fat, but just not getting as lean as I want to be. I am about 15-16% body fat right now, so maybe I really don’t have much to complain about, but would like to see a 6 pack and not a 4 pack ;). Fitness and nutrition are my life now a days. I have been following yourself and John Berardi for a while now, so I have learned a lot about nutrition.

My diet/exercise Monday-Friday looks somewhat like this:

Breakfast: 1 egg, 3 egg white omelet with 1/4 cup of feta or reduced fat cheese, 1-2 handfuls of Spinach, and mushrooms, 1/2 apple
Breakfast sometimes comes before an interval workout, sometimes after (no weights, mostly sprints, rower, stair climber, battling ropes)

Lunch: Huge spinach salad with avocado, 2 hard boiled eggs, 6 oz chicken, and balsamic dressing (about 2 tablespoons)

Snack: Scoop of Metabolic Drive and a tablespoon of PB2, or protein pudding which consists of a scoop of Metabolic Drive, tbsp flax, tbsp coconut flour, about 1/4 cup almond milk, tbsp PB2, 1 tsp chia seeds, 1 tsp of hershey’s powder unsweetened.

Dinner: 8 oz protein, with vegetables of some kind.

I will have a 2 scoop Metabolic Drive shake with a tbsp of PB2 at night before bed if hungry.

I workout Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri (2 scoops Surge before,during and after lifting)
I do some kind of HIIT 4 times a week.

So I do eat clean, but maybe I don’t eat enough, or often enough? Do you think that my carb intake is too low?

Thank you for your time and input.

Yeah, food choices look solid.

These issues are always tricky because it could be so many things. Too many cals or actually not enough for example. Low carb is fine (for a while) for fat loss, but you could be too low carb for the type of training and goals you have. Strength phase + low carb = not a great a combo.

Minor suggestion: drop all fruit for a while, or replace fruit with berries. Fructose can really stop fat loss goals, BUT I would not sweat half a piece per day. That’s fine.

Could also be a combo of impatience (you don’t have much to lose, so it’s not going to come off quickly like someone who has 50 pounds to lose) and poor monitoring methods. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard people complain about lack of progress when they ARE making progress. Sometimes it’s because they’re only paying attention to scale weight or using one of those useless electrical body fat testers. I prefer tape measurements and pics.

I also think cheat days are a step backward. Maybe a healthy refeed day, but every time you eat something obviously bad you slow progress. So maybe re-think that “loose” diet day. If it contains dairy, you’ll likely be bloated and holding water and inflammation for a couple of days after.

Just some ideas!

Thank you for the advice. I guess you are telling me what I already know, but am letting myself go a bit (cheat day). The cheat day includes frozen yogurt with sugary toppings…not good, I know…I mentally told myself that if I did the pulse fast for one day a week that it wouldn’t hurt to have a cheat day, the day prior.

I am going to try making the cheat day also a clean eating day. I know that would work, then probably do a cheat day once every two weeks.

See how that goes. Anyway, thanks for getting back so quickly, it is appreciated.