Biotest

MAG-10 / Metabolic Drive

So protein pulsing is in and sustained protein loading is not as optimal once thought. So why is it still a good idea to ingest micellar casein? Doesn’t casein in its unaltered form digest very slowly therefore it simulates the continuous protein loading?

When you think of having a good slow-digesting “meal” go with <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/metabolic-drive-low-carb"target=“new”>Metabolic Drive. Many people use this at night for that sustained effect throughout sleep. Metabolic Drive is also perfect for adding to meals. (I stir it into oatmeal for breakfast.) When you want to take advantage of the protein pulsing effect, go with <a href="http://www.T-Nation.com/store/products/MAG-10"target=“new”>MAG-10, which is not a meal replacement but rather used between meals and post-workout. Both can be used of course in the same day, just depends on its purpose and your goal (meal replacement, meal additive, or pulse.)

Thanks for the reply Chris. I’m not confused about their usage. I’m pointing out the concept/science behind the two contradicts each other. The idea behind MAG-10 is protein pulsing, claiming that continuous protein loading makes the body LESS responsive to protein. Therefore we should wait until body’s amino acids return to baseline then spike it again.

This contradicts the idea behind Metabolic Drive, because of the slow digesting casein, it supplies protein continuously for several hours which is suppose to amplify nitrogen retention. But if you do this, according to the protein pulsing idea, it’ll make your body less responsive. How do you reconcile the two ideas? I must be missing something? I love Biotest products but this is something that’s been bugging me for a while. If this can be explained by someone, that’ll be great.

Is eating some chicken “bad”? Then neither is having a meal replacement protein shake. Two different products, two different uses. Plus you don’t have to bombard with 500g of protein per day. That’s probably where the issue lower responsiveness comes from. You can take advantage of protein pulsing and still consume solid-food and supplemental protein.