Biotest

MAG-10 Instead of Meat?

Hypothetically… if one could not eat conventional protein sources…i.e, meat, fish, dairy, etc., yet had availability to unlimited MAG-10 what number of doses per day would be needed to provide all one’s protein needs?

6’2"- 230 lbs training hard on CT’s layer system

As one who categorizes themselves as perhaps not being limited by how much MAG-10 one can order (though I haven’t gone totally crazy…and I don’t just use MAG-10 for casein hydrolysate), I can only give you my experience with varying intakes.

My reply is going to be a long one…sorry.

I used to be one who ate 6 meals a day with protein coming primarily from animal sources and whey/casein/egg protein powders. The split was 75% animal proteins, 25% protein powders. Before I embarked on I-3G and utilized MAG-10 (I will use “MAG-10” to be synonymous with casein hydrolysate even though it is my firm opinion based on use that Biotest MAG-10 is “better” than straight casein hydrolysate; honestly I use BOTH), my total intake of protein was around 300+ grams/day. This was close to 1.5 grams/lb bodyweight for me.

TC Luoma and CT came out with articles that changed my eating style completely. TC’s article discussed the problems with eating frequently and its negative effects on resting blood sugar levels. CT’s articles were about pulse feasting. After painful acknowledgement that these vastly different nutritional philosophies were worthy of “trying” over my tried and true (though demonized “traditional” methods), all I can say right now is that I will NEVER GO BACK to the old ways.

When all is said and done, when I add up my MAG-10/casein hydrolysate/Plazma “protein” intake with my primarily ONE (sometimes 2) solid food meals a day, the split is now 75+% powder, 25-% animal protein…and my total protein intake is still roughly around 300 grams (if you assume a gram of casein hydrolsate is a gram of protein. I actually am beginning to think that it might not be).

The benefits of doing this healthwise for me has been tremendous. My resting blood sugar levels are WAY down. Perfect actually. My lipid levels, though never in horrible danger, and down as well. All other “health” markers are perfect. And I FEEL perfect. I can’t really describe it any other way.

I have a relative who now gets ALL of his protein via casein hydrolysate due to severe digestion issues. It has literally turned his life around (in terms of health). And his total protein intake with casein hydrolysate is vastly lower than when he was able to eat meat. It is his results that indicate to me casein hydrolysate is not equal gram to gram to animal protein sources…it is better.

Finally (whew), I also began developing digestive issues with the way I was eating. With pulse feasting utilizing casein hydrolysate as my primary “protein” source, I no longer have ANY digestive issues.

Awesome answer buffed. I have been living like this for a few months and I’m with you, I will never go back to “normal” eating. I think for ease, simplicity sake and shear health benefits it cannot be beat. I know it’s not for everyone. But I’ve gained size while getting leaner on pulse feasting. I still get at least 250grams of protein from MAG-10 plazma, chicken, and whey protein (bed time shake) and 250 or more of carbs.

So I am not starving myself at all. I eat one serving of chicken (even though its sometimes 2 chicken breasts) per day and the rest comes from MAG-10 and plazma and some Greek yog. Etc… So, I’m probably 75% of my protein from supplements versus food sources. I also eat 2 Finbars per day. Try it for one month to see how you feel and look. I bet you drop body fat and gain size.

It’s an interesting question, because we really can’t compare the proteins gram for gram. <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/mag-10"target=“new”>MAG-10 contains highly structuralized di-/tripeptides hydrolyzed from bioactive casein. These are transported – unaltered, requiring no further breakdown – directly into the bloodstream. Meat just can’t do that (though we’re certainly not anti-animal protein here at TNation.)

Because of this, only 20 grams of protein from Mag-10 stimulates protein synthesis, along with other muscle building and recovery effects, to a far greater degree than what you would get from 100s of grams of conventional protein. So again, we can’t compare it gram for gram if one needs to replace meat protein with MAG-10.

But we’d say that to get the best effect, the potent protein pulsing effect MAG-10 was designed for, three or four sizeable amino-acid spikes per day using MAG-10 post-training and pre-meals, would do the trick. But there’s no top-end that we’ve found. Some of our protocols, like the Pulse Fast, involve using a serving of MAG-10 every 2-3 hours. So it’s certainly doable.

I get 4 MAG-10’s per day (sometimes 5), plazma 2 scoops, and one 50 gram protein shake at bed and the rest is from chicken and other foods I mentioned.

I get anemic if I don’t eat meat, and I throw down MAG-10’s left and right throughout the day, 4-6 every day.

Everyone!! Thankyou so much for well thought out responses.

Right now, I’m one MAG-10 dose upon arising, Plasma with workout and 3 MAG-10 doses post workout, and then meat and salad for dinner. I was just conjecturing about dropping the meat, uping the salad and vegetables and adding in about 3-4 doses of MAG-10.

Again, great feedback!! Thanks a bunch!

For myself, who is doing 4 pulses a day plus an evening meal, I wouldn’t feel right just cutting meat completely. I love the texture, flavour, and satiating effects of a nice portion of meat. Plus being more or less “paleo” (I’m of the opinion there are tons of valuable vitamins, minerals and fatty acids, not just the protein in meat) and an iron pumping meathead I just psychologically don’t feel right cutting it either :wink:

[quote]GeorgeCulp wrote:

Right now, I’m one MAG-10 dose upon arising, Plasma with workout and 3 MAG-10 doses post workout, and then meat and salad for dinner. I was just conjecturing about dropping the meat, uping the salad and vegetables and adding in about 3-4 doses of MAG-10.
[/quote]

Sounds like a very solid plan! Take care of the peri-workout period and everything else often just falls into place.