Biotest

Mag-10 as Peri and Post WO?

Anyone tried using Mag-10 in the middle of your workout and after? Think I’m gonna do that.

For a tough weight training workout, <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/plazma"target=“new”>Plazma is the best formula for pre- and during training. Mag-10 is going to give you some of those benefits, but Plazma is ideal and made just for that purpose.

However, <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/mag-10"target=“new”>Mag-10 is great for a short but intense conditioning-only session.

The problem is I was doing a prescribed protocol that asked for 50 grams of protein and around 30 grams of carbs started at mid point of workout and finish upon completion. This was being done with low carb metobolic drive and skim milk. I figured I could achieve the same switching it out for Mag - 10 and just get a little more protein if I did 3 servings to equal the carb ratio.

Keep in mind that you can’t look at the ingredients of Plazma and Mag-10 as just “protein” and “carbs.” They are very different. For example, the protein in these supplements is comprised of a unique di- and tripeptide complex that’s transported – unaltered, requiring no further breakdown – directly into the bloodstream. And the particular di-/tripeptide mixture Biotest uses produces effects in muscle that go far beyond simple amino acids from other protein sources.

Peptide structures – growth hormone and insulin being examples – have biological activities beyond regular amino acids. The peptide structures in Mag-10 and Plazma also have biological activities above and beyond regular amino acids, making it a totally different animal. In fact, only 20 grams of this “protein” stimulates protein synthesis, as well as other muscle building and recovery effects, to a far greater degree than what you would get from 100s of grams of conventional protein.

Likewise, the carbs are nutrient-partitioning functional carbohydrates (highly branched cyclic dextrin for example). And they’re thermic to boot.

In short, you can’t just look at “grams” of the macros and compare them whole food sources or even protein powder. Different beasts, different effects.

Well, if I need to get 50 grams of protein and 30 grams of crabs (roughly ) how do you do a find out the ratio of regular protein to MAG-10 protein and same for plazma?

I already have Mag - 10 ready to go for my next workout , so that’s the only one I’m really worried about at the moment, but I will keep plazma in mind.

I already did a workout yesterday with 3 servings of MAG-10.

[quote]AlterEgo721 wrote:
Well, if I need to get 50 grams of protein and 30 grams of crabs (roughly ) how do you do a find out the ratio of regular protein to MAG-10 protein and same for plazma?

[/quote]

Who says you “need” to get those exact numbers? Probably someone not familiar with advanced workout nutrition supplements. And if this person said to use a crappy “supplement” like skim milk for training, I’d run far, far away.

My suggestion is to simply follow the labels on Plazma and Mag-10, just like our competitive bodybuilders and top NFL athletes do. If guys like John Meadows are reporting remarkable results, we mere mortals are probably fine too just following the labels and not sweating the details.

Ironically it’s John Romaniello who writes articles for this web- site. It’s part of a low - carb priming phase to get insulin sensitivity reset. Just prescribed 30 carbs on workout days.

I did 2 phases of Roman’s plan, and frankly speaking I don’t like it. I ended up shifting more carbs to workout time and that worked better, but frankly speaking I find the calories to be too low, the training to be too light (not easy, but with not enough heavy lifting) and the feast/fast model to be completely unusable for me (I have almost zero cravings and find it hard to eat past a certain point, which made me undereat during feast days and get hungry during fast days).

I like Roman, I think he’s a nice and smart guy, and I DID get good results with that plan, BUT I got far better results at lower mental cost following performance style training (e.g. 6 weeks to superhero style complexes for fat loss, HP Mass and layers for strength and size gains) and eating to fuel that performance, especially focusing on peri-workout nutrition.

If you want to continue Roman’s plan (which, if it fits YOUR psychological AND physiological profile, would make sense), I would suggest you add carbs to your peri-workout as soon as they start increasing (can’t remember if it’s week 2 or 3) and focus them there, following peri-workout suggestions for Plazma - 1 dose before, rest during.

B.

I have done both: peri-nutrition with ONLY MAG-10 pre, during, and after…and then the current recommended peri-nutrition protocol of Plazma before, during…then 2 MAG-10 after. I can definitely say Plazma protocol is WAY better with regards to muscle pumps and training endurance, but the MAG-10 only protocol was no slouch either during hard weight training (bodybuilding primarily). With the Plazma protocol, I also recuperate much better and am “fuller” after training and into the next day.

With the MAG-10 peri-nutrition plan, I could train 2 tough days in a row but then needed a day off. With the Plazma protocol, I now can train EVERYDAY (7 days a week) without needing a break.

Note: the peri-nutrition intake is in addition to my normal 4 MAG-10 pulses a day. It’s the combo here, not just the peri-workout that I believe allows me to do what I can do now.

I’ve used MAG-10 only on days where I’m really just doing interval type work and keeping lower amounts of carbs in my diet for the day, and been very happy with it. However I’d also support the case for focused carbs on heavy weight training days. Throw in the little extras that are in Plazma (similar to the old Anaconda I assume - Beta Alanine, Citruline etc), and it’s a no brainer. Personally I’ve only been toying with the Plazma the last month, but all the hoopla you hear about being able to train harder, longer, and with markedly reduced soreness, I’m sold. Of course I’m perfectly content keeping 90% of my daily carbs around my workout. It worked great during contest preps, and I feel it’s working well during my shoulder recovery.

Also, remember that any coach, no mater how good they may be, won’t always be able to suggest the ultimate program that will work 100% of the time for everyone. John’s had some good articles in the past, so I have a fairly positive view of him, but no one is infallible. If you find something not to your liking, or maybe it just doesn’t sound right to you, don’t freak out about trying something else.

S