Biotest

MAG-10 and Overall Protein Needs

I have a question regarding overall protein needs while using MAG-10. If MAG-10 is much more efficient and efficacious at increasing protein synthesis than other proteins, wouldn’t it stand to reason that if a person used 3 or 4 servings/day that they could, at least somewhat, reduce their overall protein intake? I realize that protein is used for many processes in the body, but at least part of the idea behind our increased intake of protein is to stimulate protein synthesis–as well as provide the materials to repair structural damage to muscle, etc. If MAG-10 is more efficient at provoking increases in protein synthesis, then some of the “inefficiency” of regular protein can be reduced–right?

I get ~ 1g. protein/lb. body weight, I just think at 230lbs. I don’t need 350g. protein–not without anabolics. So, would using 3-4 servings/day of MAG-10 allow me to drop that overall figure of 230g. any?

The reason I ask is that I’m just not a huge eater. Some days I don’t feel like eating much meat, and rely mostly on protein powders–e.g., MAG-10, whey, Anaconda/Plazma–and alternate protein sources like yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs ,etc. to fulfill most of my needs. So, the ability to reduce my overall protein needs could come in handy–especially since I’m using Indigo and could fill the extra calories with more quality carbs.

Thanks,

Crowbar

Good question, and you’re correct.

A <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/mag-10"target=“new”>Mag-10 user has to re-think the old “rules” of protein intake since the unique di- and tripeptide complex in Mag-10 affects the body differently than regular whole-food proteins.

For one thing, they’re transported directly into the bloodstream, unaltered and requiring no further breakdown – the particular di-/tripeptide mixture found in Mag-10 produces effects in muscle that go beyond simple amino acids from regular protein sources. It’s estimated that only 20 grams of protein from Mag-10 stimulates protein synthesis, as well as other muscle building and recovery effects, to a far greater degree than what you’d get from three or four times the number of grams of conventional protein.

Plus, the carb mixture in Mag-10 helps drive supraphysiologic levels of these di- and tripeptides into the muscle cell.

You’ll still want some protein (and calories) from whole-food sources or a protein shake, but you don’t have to live life carrying around Tupperware containers of chicken and tuna when using Mag-10.

And as you wrote, this does open up room for increased clean carb intake for <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/indigo-3g"target=“new”>Indigo-3G users.

The best times for a pulse of Mag-10 are post-workout, during conditioning-only sessions, between meals, and even before bed or first thing in the AM.

I love MAG-10. I drink it all day.

I go through periods of high food intake and low food intake, and when I’m not eating much, MAG-10 saves my ass and I can still make gains.

Thanks for the replies guys. So, I know this may be getting a little picayune, but what would you estimate the effect to be roughly? That is, by how much can I lower protein intake if I were, say, using 3-4 pulses a day? Does 175-200g.total protein (including the MAG-10) at 230lbs. body weight sound reasonable? On training days with the addition of Plazma, the percentage of that 175-200g. protein coming from peptides would be even greater.

Thanks,

Crowbar

It’s a good question, crowbar46, and honestly, for someone getting three to four pulses of Mag-10 per day plus Plazma on training days, you probably don’t need to bother with counting grams from solid food or forcing yourself to eat more. Just eat as you normally would because your protein needs are pretty much covered. The amount of specialized protein in Mag-10 from your plan already stimulates protein synthesis more than 250g of regular protein would.

I recently experimented with having 5-6 pulses per day, Plazma too on lifting days (sometimes a Finibar or two), then had one sit-down whole-food meal per day in the evening. I lost several pounds of fat and hit a few PRs in the gym during the same period. That evening meal contained solid-food protein but I didn’t sweat the amounts. It was very easy really and I never counted a gram of anything, or a calorie.

Really interesting Chris; it looks like I’ll have to do a little experimenting.

Crowbar