Biotest

MAG-10 and Insulin Spike?

Every morning, I walk fasted for 30 minutes and drink BCAA’s. I have read some stuff about replacing that with MAG-10.

My question is:

Does MAG-10 cause an insulin spike? If so, this would take you out of the “fasted” state, correct?

Any insight to this would be helpful.

Anything can cause a small insulin spike, including your BCAA tablets. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing. The last thing someone needs to be worrying about are the 11 grams of thermic carbs in MAG-10, which can actually speed the fat loss process.

Dr. Lonnie Lowery tested <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/mag-10"target=“new”>MAG-10 and semi-fasted morning cardio to prepare for his recent bodybuilding show. His results with MAG-10 were better than with purely fasted cardio or BCAA tablets. You can read about his experience <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_ultimate_cardio_solution_disclosed"target=“new”>HERE.

[center] [/center]

Here’s a quick summary of his MAG-10 usage for semi-fasted cardio:

Step 1: Before bed, place a bottle of water and half a caffeine tablet (100 mg) on your nightstand. Set your alarm for 10 minutes before you want to get up.

Step 2: When the alarm goes off, take the caffeine tablet and hit snooze. Doze back off if you can. Dr. Lowery calls this his “caffeine snooze.” Ten minutes later, when the alarm goes off again, get out of bed, mix up one serving of MAG-10 in water, and find a treadmill.

Step 3: Set the incline of the treadmill at 4%. Start walking at 3 MPH. The whole workout should be kept a just-below panting level. Heart rate should never exceed 120 BPM (beats per minute) for younger guys, and should be closer to 110 or 115 BPM for older men. Lowery is 42 and shoots for around 115 BPM.

Step 4: Ten to 15 minutes after exercise has begun, drink one-third of the MAG-10. Halfway through, drink another one-third. About fifteen minutes before finishing, kill it. The idea is to spread MAG-10 intake evenly throughout the workout session. You could also do this in halves: half the drink after beginning the session, half 15 minutes before finishing.

Step 5: Eat breakfast as soon as you’re finished.

Step 6: Lift as usual later in the day utilizing a good peri-workout protocol.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the help CS.

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:
Does MAG-10 cause an insulin spike? If so, this would take you out of the “fasted” state, correct? [/quote]

Is staying fasted (ie. keeping insulin low) part of an overall fat-loss plan?

If so, its the prolonged insulin response that you’re looking to avoid.

Either way, I wouldn’t much sweat MAG-10 or even BCAAs on that front.

[quote]chillain wrote:

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:
Does MAG-10 cause an insulin spike? If so, this would take you out of the “fasted” state, correct? [/quote]

Is staying fasted (ie. keeping insulin low) part of an overall fat-loss plan?

If so, its the prolonged insulin response that you’re looking to avoid.

Either way, I wouldn’t much sweat MAG-10 or even BCAAs on that front.

[/quote]

No, just for a little metabolism boost in the morning. I want to take advantage of the insulin sensitivity daily. I only eat carbs for breakfast and pre-workout(sometimes post-workout), so prolonged insulin response is not an issue.

Thanks for the input. My coach told me to just stick with BCAA’s because casein hydrolysate is glucogenic. I don’t think he did any research on the product though.