Biotest

LT's V-Diet Log - My Personal Fitness Revolution

Hello everyone.

I just started the V-Diet yesterday, Monday 03.15.2010.

I am a 35 year old, 6.0’ tall male, work as an Oracle DBA and pretty much sit on my butt all-day long. I have been on and off weight training since I was 19 years old, but haven’t actually accomplished great muscle gains. I gain weight quite easily, specially if I intake lots of carbs.

9 years ago, I managed to lose 50 lbs in about 5 months basically just weight training and a little cardio everyday. Since then I’ve tried many diets/plans so far, (Atkins, South Beach, Herbalife, Men’s health Testosterone Advantage, Breaking the Fat Loss Code, etc…) which have all given me great results, that is, when I’m disciplined (most of the time I’m not).

Losing weight is always one of my New Year’s resolution, but this year 'round I decided I would really commit to it, thus I call it: My Personal Fitness Revolution.

My first day wasn’t bad at all. After going over several diets before, I was afraid of feeling too hungry. Not the case here! I can say I’ve felt full all-day-long! Shakes are great! I actually enjoy the Flax Seeds! (I’ve read most people don’t). I took on the intermediate-level workout early morning yesterday, and had a 50 minute NEPA walk in the evening.

I took measurements on Sunday morning. I’ll post these later on today as well as my before pics (which I’m hesitant to do, but will do anyways).

Only side effect so far is that I woke up with a strong headache today. I controlled it with Excedrin Migraine. I guess my body’s adapting…

Here go my embarrassing before pics…

Something happened when I copy/pasted my measurements…

Measurements:

Metric 03.14.2010

Height 6.03 ft / 1.84 mts
Weight 241
BMI 32.65
% Fat 0.31
Fat weight 74.71
% Water 0.5
HR (Sys/Dia/Pulse/min) 130/72/63/min
Neck 17
Shoulders 21
Chest Upper 45
Chest Lower 41
Waist at Navel 45
Waist at largest 45
Hips at largest 46.5
Upper Arm L 17
Upper Arm R 17
Upper Leg L 28
Upper Leg R 28
Lower Leg L 22.5
Lower Leg R 23
Ankle L 15.5
Ankle R 15.5

% Fat & % Water Measured using Normal Setting on Scale

Hey LT - welcome and good luck! I’m on day 20…it’s really not so bad. Kinda weird how quickly you do adapt.

Thanks!

I really don’t mind the shakes (since I normally either take one for breakfast or instead of dinner). Used muscle milk before, but these are better in content and taste!

Good luck on your last 8 days!

3 1/2 days gone… from which I can say:

Day 1 felt like a walk in the park; shakes taste good, everything is new, no problem whatsoever.

Day 2 was ok, except for the fact that I woke up with a huge headache. Took care of it with Excedrin Migraine. Rest of the day was fine.

Day 3… well day 3 was a little rough. Flax Seed doesn’t taste so good now (wish I hadn’t said I liked it in the first place). I felt pretty weak the entire day, specially after my workout early in the morning. I had to take a nap after work, just before my NEPA walk. My pregnant wife and 4 yr old daughter are not helping! I get to enjoy a late movie while they eat Popcorn in my face!

Day 4 has been way better, no headache, no weakness. Have felt pretty good the entire day. Can’t wait for Sunday to have my HSM!

[quote]ltabora wrote:

I really don’t mind the shakes. Used muscle milk before, but these are better in content and taste!
[/quote]

Haha, I continued my tirade with Nate after I posted the initial assault, and added that I am sorry they didn’t consider the tastes of the fat complainers when making shakes and neglected to include the cheeseburger variety.

But, I came over here to offer words of encouragement! Your pics really aren’t that bad - and you definitely have a lot of potential. Let me explain further…you’re not skinny fat, you’re not a hardgainer, and you will be able to, with an average amount of effort put on muscle. Therefore, it’s reasonable that fat loss is a priority for you. I think you’ll like what you get out of the diet, and like you said, so long as you stick with solid training and intelligently timed nutrition afterward, you’ll do well!

I think you’re a day behind me - but I’m not certain, we may be on the same day. Regardless, keep at it!

[quote]Polsen714 wrote:

[quote]ltabora wrote:

I really don’t mind the shakes. Used muscle milk before, but these are better in content and taste!
[/quote]

Haha, I continued my tirade with Nate after I posted the initial assault, and added that I am sorry they didn’t consider the tastes of the fat complainers when making shakes and neglected to include the cheeseburger variety.

But, I came over here to offer words of encouragement! Your pics really aren’t that bad - and you definitely have a lot of potential. Let me explain further…you’re not skinny fat, you’re not a hardgainer, and you will be able to, with an average amount of effort put on muscle. Therefore, it’s reasonable that fat loss is a priority for you. I think you’ll like what you get out of the diet, and like you said, so long as you stick with solid training and intelligently timed nutrition afterward, you’ll do well!

I think you’re a day behind me - but I’m not certain, we may be on the same day. Regardless, keep at it! [/quote]

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I was starting to feel like a loner here…

Yes I believe I’m a day behind…

[quote]esietsma wrote:
Hey LT - welcome and good luck! I’m on day 20…it’s really not so bad. Kinda weird how quickly you do adapt. [/quote]

Hi,

How are you doing on your last days before transitioning?

Hammered 5+ days already!

So far so good. I don’t get too hungry, only maybe after training or the NEPA walks.

Usually on Fridays my peers and I head out of the office for lunch. Yesterday we went to Fuddruckers! I didn’t sin, I had my lunch shake before we left and just sat there with them enjoying the conversation with a glass of diet tea watching them eat their 1/2 lbs burgers… I didn’t feel sleepy or bloated that afternoon (unlike them).

Hit the gym just after work. Felt exhausted, but not as much as on lunge day.

Today’s my HSM meal. Going to P.F. Chang’s for the brown rice, lettuce wraps and grilled steak…

LT: Careful with the brown rice from restaurants. I think most of the time it is just white rice with food coloring to make it brown (i.e. its not whole grain). Steak sounds goooooood!

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
LT: Careful with the brown rice from restaurants. I think most of the time it is just white rice with food coloring to make it brown (i.e. its not whole grain). Steak sounds goooooood![/quote]

Thanks for the heads-up!

My HSM dinner was de-li-cious!

Place was packed (P.F. Chang’s), and we waited over 80 minutes to be seated! Major issue 'cuz I was starving by the time we were actually seated.

Had a couple of Chicken Lettuce Wraps, shared half of a Chicken Chopped Salad and had the grilled Asian Marinated New York Strip. I’m pretty sure I went overboard as for caloric intake and quantities…

I didn’t have my last shake since it was so late and I was so stuffed.

Today I woke up at 6:30am and went for a two hour long beach-side bike ride. Kept my HR between 130-150 most of the time. I was going slowly enough as to avoid exhausting myself.

I erroneously attempted to perform the V-Burn Challenge immediately after my two-hour-long bike ride. HUGE FAILURE! I was only able to perform to 2 circuits :frowning:

Here’s a week’s worth of progress…

Metric 03.14.2010 03.21.2010 Delta
Height 6.03 ft / 1.84 mts –
Weight 244 239.5
BMI 33.06 32.21
% Fat 0.31 0.3
Fat weight 75.64 71.85
% Water 0.5
HR (Sys/Dia/Pulse/min) 130/72/63/min 125/79/93/min
Neck 17 16.5 -0.5
Shoulders 23 23 0
Chest Upper 45 46.5 1.5 – ? Muscle?
Chest Lower 41 41.5 0.5 – ? Muscle? I sure hope so!
Waist at Navel 45 43.5 -1.5
Waist at largest 45 43.5 -1.5
Hips at largest 46.5 46 -0.5
Upper Arm L 17 16.5 -0.5
Upper Arm R 17 16.5 -0.5
Upper Leg L 28 27 -1
Upper Leg R 28 27 -1
Lower Leg L 22.5 21.75 -0.75
Lower Leg R 23 21.75 -1.25
Ankle L 15.5 15.5 0
Ankle R 15.5 15.5 0

As for my weight, since I had my HSM yesterday, I’ll go ahead and weight myself early tomorrow morning.

I also ordered a different weigh scale (Ordered one of those Omron full body composition monitors which will tell if I’m gaining muscle mass). This Taylor one I have will provide different readings (small deltas) every time I get on and off. Due to this, I’m correcting last week’s weight to the initial two readings which were 244 lbs.

Hey a couple pieces of advice for ya…
In the mornings, I wouldn’t wait any more than an hour after you wake up to have your first shake. At that point, your body becomes catabolic, as it has already “used” all of the protein you have fed it from the night before. (or maybe you had a shake prior, you didn’t specify) Generally, CS has recommended, HOT-ROX, some NEPA, morning shake.

VBurn…yeah, no way you’d be able to finish that after all that activity, esp if it was on an empty stomach. And again, your body would become catabolic at that point as well. The diet is high protein for the purpose of sparing, building, and maintaining current muscle mass, and then taking that muscle mass and burning extra fat. If you’re losing muscle, especially if you’re not ridiculously strong to begin with, your results will slow down, and possibly stop.

The way I have timed it, and this is just me is to wait until about an hour before I am supposed to have my next shake, and then do the VBurn, followed by the next shake or meal. A lot of people reward themselves for the VBurn with their HSM. I know I did…and it was glorious!

[quote]Polsen714 wrote:
Hey a couple pieces of advice for ya…
In the mornings, I wouldn’t wait any more than an hour after you wake up to have your first shake. At that point, your body becomes catabolic, as it has already “used” all of the protein you have fed it from the night before. (or maybe you had a shake prior, you didn’t specify) Generally, CS has recommended, HOT-ROX, some NEPA, morning shake.

VBurn…yeah, no way you’d be able to finish that after all that activity, esp if it was on an empty stomach. And again, your body would become catabolic at that point as well. The diet is high protein for the purpose of sparing, building, and maintaining current muscle mass, and then taking that muscle mass and burning extra fat. If you’re losing muscle, especially if you’re not ridiculously strong to begin with, your results will slow down, and possibly stop.

The way I have timed it, and this is just me is to wait until about an hour before I am supposed to have my next shake, and then do the VBurn, followed by the next shake or meal. A lot of people reward themselves for the VBurn with their HSM. I know I did…and it was glorious![/quote]

Thanks for the tips, I’ll take that into consideration. In fact, I’ll do as you have suggested to take the first scoop of Surge during my workout.

I hadn’t had the shake before heading out this morning. I normally don’t wake up hungry at all. I’m used to hitting the gym very early in the morning, basically because its the best way I can fit it into my schedule. I’ve read is not the best time, but its the only way I can make sure I’ll do it and not get sidetracked with work, family chores, etc. Besides, there’s way too many condos/apts in the vicinity of my local Gym, afternoons/evenings are just WAY too crowded!

Another mistake… single-limbs are 5 reps each side… I assumed 10/side on the V-Burn.

[quote]ltabora wrote:

Another mistake… single-limbs are 5 reps each side… I assumed 10/side on the V-Burn.[/quote]

Did the same thing, brotha…I’m going sub 20 min next week when i do it right

Congrats on your results!

[quote]Landwaster wrote:

[quote]ltabora wrote:

Another mistake… single-limbs are 5 reps each side… I assumed 10/side on the V-Burn.[/quote]

Did the same thing, brotha…I’m going sub 20 min next week when i do it right

Congrats on your results![/quote]

Thanks. Being able to get rid of a few plies of fat off the mid-sec is actually motivating! I was starting to look like the frickin’ Michelin man! f it.

I actually underestimated the effort required for the V-Burn challenge. @ the rate I was performing today while attempting to complete the circuits it would have taken me an entire hour to complete! I’ll stay away from the saddle next week before v-burn!