Biotest

Lowery Method: Lifting Then Cardio

Chris
I didn’t read the Lowery article until late this night and didn’t see the answer to the following question in the Livespill area:

If one lifts, then does the cardio, how does the impact the Lowery method for fasted cardio?

When I competed, I had some protein powder before lifting, then did the steady state cardio. I wanted to check how the Lowery method incorporates lifting before the cardio?

You can’t really.

Lifting in a fasted state is not ideal. You won’t get great results; you’re nutritionally hampered and running on empty. You want to lift in a high-insulin state for optimal results.

And cardio works best in a fasted state (morning being best) – rock bottom insulin.

You can’t really put those together without hamstringing one or the other.

If it were me, I’d focus on fueling correctly to get the most out of the weight training. Doing cardio after is still going to help spend some calories; it’s just not as good as fasted-state cardio.

Here’s the link to the article for those reading this that missed it: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_ultimate_cardio_solution_disclosed

If one is doing the fasted cardio six days a week, is it too much to do some HIIT after lifting? I would guess it would be okay because the fasted cardio is so low intensity. But, I realize every day just how little I know. :smiley:

[quote]firespinner93 wrote:
If one is doing the fasted cardio six days a week, is it too much to do some HIIT after lifting? I would guess it would be okay because the fasted cardio is so low intensity. But, I realize every day just how little I know. :D[/quote]

It probably wouldn’t hurt since the morning “cardio” is so low in intensity, as you said. It’s really just NEPA, just a more tactical form. And as I always say, you can’t overtrain NEPA.