Biotest

Low Carb Rolls - Oopsie Roll

Hi All,

I happened to come across this recipe on a low carb site called Oopsie Rolls. These rolls are made of eggs, cream cheese, and a little bit of cream of tartar. The texture and taste is just like a white bread hamburger bun. They are great for some more variety. I tried them as a burger and it tasted pretty good. Here is a link to the recipe. Here is a picture of a bag I made yesterday.

http://blog.yourlighterside.com/2009/05/gluten-free-low-carb-buns-aka-oopsie.html

The Volumized Cheeseburger
A Challenge for Chris: Cinnamon Rolls

Those look great! People are always asking me for a hamburger bun type of recipe.

Amazing. Not only that but they have one where you make French Toast using this exact recipe. I’ll hopefully convert my girlfriend from bread after this recipe.

Yeah, it’s amazing that eggs and cream cheese can come out to taste like bread. Weird.

Have you tried using lower fat cream cheese? I’m wondering if it’ll come out any different in terms of texture.

[quote]Perpalicious wrote:
Have you tried using lower fat cream cheese? I’m wondering if it’ll come out any different in terms of texture. [/quote]

The batch I made above was made with fat free cream cheese and tastes exactly the same as a previous batch I made with full fat cream cheese.

I made these last night. They weren’t too shabby. I don’t think my egg whites were quite beat hard enough OR when I folded the two mixtures I broke down the whites.

My buns came out too soft when it was time to scoop them onto the cookie sheet. Still Ate my burger with it, will need to retry tonight.

[quote]corstijeir wrote:
I made these last night. They weren’t too shabby. I don’t think my egg whites were quite beat hard enough OR when I folded the two mixtures I broke down the whites.

My buns came out too soft when it was time to scoop them onto the cookie sheet. Still Ate my burger with it, will need to retry tonight.[/quote]

Yeah, use a good mixer for the egg whites to get them nice and firm. That’s the most important step. When you incorporate the yokes, put in a little at a time and mix very very gently, so the white don’t break down. They should come out crispy on the outside, soft on the inside if you bake them long enough. You also want to let them sit out afterward to somewhat get drier. I usual pop them in the toaster for about a minute to crisp them up if they get too soft.

I have a feeling my folding technique lacked last night ( was in a hurry, i was hungry! )

[quote]corstijeir wrote:
I have a feeling my folding technique lacked last night ( was in a hurry, i was hungry! )[/quote]

Yeah, it takes some practice and patience, but once you get the technique it’s simple. I am going to try this as a pizza crust. This may be the best crust yet compared to almond flour and cauliflower crust, in terms of calorie load and texture.

[quote]Soulja wrote:

[quote]corstijeir wrote:
I have a feeling my folding technique lacked last night ( was in a hurry, i was hungry! )[/quote]

Yeah, it takes some practice and patience, but once you get the technique it’s simple. I am going to try this as a pizza crust. This may be the best crust yet compared to almond flour and cauliflower crust, in terms of calorie load and texture. [/quote]

Let me know how that turns out. I made the oopsie roll and I loved it. A pizza crust would be the best since it would be the least dense. I find most of the low-carb crusts to be too high in calories (700-1000), which can be a little steep. I don’t mind it but it’d be nice to have something a little less dense.

[quote]Perpalicious wrote:

[quote]Soulja wrote:

[quote]corstijeir wrote:

Yeah, it takes some practice and patience, but once you get the technique it’s simple. I am going to try this as a pizza crust. This may be the best crust yet compared to almond flour and cauliflower crust, in terms of calorie load and texture. [/quote]

Let me know how that turns out. I made the oopsie roll and I loved it. A pizza crust would be the best since it would be the least dense. I find most of the low-carb crusts to be too high in calories (700-1000), which can be a little steep. I don’t mind it but it’d be nice to have something a little less dense. [/quote]

Sure thing. I will be making it tomorrow. Going to go pick up about 5 dozen free range eggs from a farmer near buy. Can’t wait.

Okay,

Sorry for the late reply. I made the oopsie crust pizza last week and made a cauliflower crust at the same time so my family and I could compare. Here are some pics of the oopsie crust before baking and after baking.

Okay,

Sorry for the late reply. I made the oopsie crust pizza last week and made a cauliflower crust at the same time so my family and I could compare. Here are some pics of the oopsie crust before baking and after baking.

After baking

Finished product. The feeback was positive. The oopsie crust is the closest to real pizza crust IMHO. The only downside that we notices was that is was not dense enough in texture that we love about the cauliflower crust. The mistake I think I made was putting too much sauce on it. In the end the family preferred the cauliflower crust over the oopsie crust.

Another pic holding a slice.

I must’ve done something wrong when I made mine. Your pizza crust doesn’t look like it expanded at all (actually it looks like it shrunk) but when I made mine they got hella huge and spilled all over the place. It was really flat too. I gotta try this again.

[quote]Icarus wrote:
I must’ve done something wrong when I made mine. Your pizza crust doesn’t look like it expanded at all (actually it looks like it shrunk) but when I made mine they got hella huge and spilled all over the place. It was really flat too. I gotta try this again.[/quote]

Yeah, while its baking it will expand but I had let it sit for awhile while I was working on the cauliflower crust. It flattened out while it sat, just like how the oopsie rolls flatten out some while they cool.

Maybe a dumb question, but can you make this without the yolks?