Biotest

Low Carb Pizza

Following some experimentation with Shugart’s pizza crust, I have come up with a version which, apart from being damn tasty, happens to be substantially lower in fat/calories. This essentially involves substituting most of the cheese with quark, as well as a few other small additions (as below):

2 tbsp. coconut flour
2 tbsp. milled flaxseed
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum (useful binding agent for alternative flours)
1-2 eggs, or one whole plus 1-2 whites (there is no real need for 3 eggs)
garlic and herb salt to taste (greatly helps to give the crust a savoury taste; pepper and other herbs work well too)
1/2 cup of quark
small handful grated cheddar (I go for 50% reduced fat)

The quark makes the batter quite thin so you can thicken it by adding some more coconut flour and/or cheddar. However, this is another advantage for me because it pours like a pancake mix onto the greaseproof paper. You can then let it form into a very thin pizza crust. Bake as instructed.

As mentioned, these steps will significantly lower the overall calories from fat while not affecting the taste.

Big thanks to Chris for original recipe.

Pretty damn interesting man do you happen to have some kinda nutrition information for it?

grams of fat
grams of carbs
grams of protein

I’ve made some extremely low-carb “pizza” by eliminating the crust altogether. Smear tomato paste and olive oil on large Portobello mushroom caps, top with grated mozzarella cheese, spinach, garlic, meat, salt, black pepper, pepperoncini, and Italian herbs. Sprinkle more mozzarella and Parmesan cheese on top, bake until the cheese melts, the mushrooms are soft, and the meat is no longer bloody.