Biotest

Low Carb Dieting: Surge Recovery or Plazma + Low Carb Protein?

I am obese, so I realize I need to continue just eating right and training hard to lose weight, but I have begun thinking about what is the best supplement plan for me around my workout since I am now getting comfortable about my current training/nutrition being more a habit after a couple months of doing it.

AKA, I feel like I have nailed down the majority of what I needed to change about my lifestyle, and now I want to tweak things a little.

What I am currently doing on my workout days:

7 AM 50g of casein and 5-10g of bcaa’s over the course of 20-30 minutes

Between 10 to 10:30 AM 50-70g of protein (usually lean) + some fats (guacamole for example)

2 PM 50-70g of protein (mostly lean)and 40-60g of carbs (usually oatmeal)

Start my workout anywhere from 3:30-4 PM and they last typically 50-60 minutes. During the workout drink 20oz of water with 15g of BCAA’s

10-15 minute drive home after the gym and I make/consume 2 scoops of Surge Recovery and add 5-10g of BCAA’s and 5g of creatine

45-75 minutes after that I have a solid meal

As for me individually, I find I have better workouts and don’t feel nauseous if I don’t eat close to my workout (even if it’s only a little lean protein and some oatmeal). My question is, should I drop the Surge Recovery in favor of LC protein and instead have Plazma during my workout? Or something radically different?

Bump

[quote]daltron wrote:
As for me individually, I find I have better workouts and don’t feel nauseous if I don’t eat close to my workout (even if it’s only a little lean protein and some oatmeal).[/quote]
Think you could handle a shake during training? Doesn’t have to be huge, even 32oz or so, over the course of the entire session. Moving the Surge (or whatever post-workout drink) from post to pre and/or during, a lot of people see a boost in results.

I vote no to switching to something low carb. Pretty much every coach will agree that, even for fat loss, keeping carbs around your workout is tremendously useful. The benefits to fueling an intense workout, and recovering from it maximally, outweigh almost any “drawback” to having carbs while you’re carrying bodyfat.

If you want to switch from Surge Recovery to Plazma, that’d be like switching from a tv with rabbit ears to Netflix on a 50" flat screen. A bit of an upgrade, and better in every respect. But some people still love that old school tv because it still gets the most basic job done and it’s worked for years.

Surge Workout Fuel would be an intermediate step if you wanted. Better than Surge Recovery, but still a half-step down from Plazma.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]daltron wrote:
As for me individually, I find I have better workouts and don’t feel nauseous if I don’t eat close to my workout (even if it’s only a little lean protein and some oatmeal).[/quote]
Think you could handle a shake during training? Doesn’t have to be huge, even 32oz or so, over the course of the entire session. Moving the Surge (or whatever post-workout drink) from post to pre and/or during, a lot of people see a boost in results.

I vote no to switching to something low carb. Pretty much every coach will agree that, even for fat loss, keeping carbs around your workout is tremendously useful. The benefits to fueling an intense workout, and recovering from it maximally, outweigh almost any “drawback” to having carbs while you’re carrying bodyfat.

If you want to switch from Surge Recovery to Plazma, that’d be like switching from a tv with rabbit ears to Netflix on a 50" flat screen. A bit of an upgrade, and better in every respect. But some people still love that old school tv because it still gets the most basic job done and it’s worked for years.

Surge Workout Fuel would be an intermediate step if you wanted. Better than Surge Recovery, but still a half-step down from Plazma.[/quote]

Thank you for the help! I’ll actually try that today, the Surge pre/intra workout and when I run out I think I am going to give Plazma and MAG-10 a try.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]daltron wrote:

Surge Workout Fuel would be an intermediate step if you wanted. Better than Surge Recovery, but still a half-step down from Plazma.[/quote]

REALLY wasn’t looking forward to going to the gym this today after work, especially since my last three workouts this week were pretty heavy for me and I definitely didn’t feel like I was going to have a great workout today.

I took one scoop of Surge Recovery + 15g of BCAA’s about 20-30 minutes before my workout and I had the same cocktail during my workout. When I got the gym, it felt a little weird having all that stuff in my stomach. Felt OK warming up… Felt GREAT during my work sets. WOW, what a difference. My entire workout was awesome and I was A LOT less fatigued than I normally am going through it.

I REALLY appreciate the recommendation Chris! I am extremely excited to order some Plaza and try that out as well!

It’s crazy to think how far workout nutrition and supplements have come. Maybe I just wasn’t in the know at the time, but 8-10 years ago during college football I thought some BCAA’s during my workout and Surge Recovery + BCAA’s after my workout was as good as it gets (and it was fantastic). It’s really cool to see how much even BETTER it can get.