Biotest

Losing Fat w/ 100 Carbs a Day, Pulse Fast

I have at least 40 lbs of fat to lose. I am a 5’1 female so I am considered obese. I restarted the New Rules of Lifting, for Women, after my 2 week V-Diet, and I’m at the end of phase 1.

My question is what would be an appropriate amount of calories for fast fat loss? I know that V-Dieters do not count calories, but I’m not there yet. I find that I don’t eat as much, nor am I as hungry either. I guess that’s because my blood sugar isn’t spiking all the time with the absence of non-vegetable/fruit carbs.

Thanks

The best you can do is a rough estimate, which is what most calorie formulas are. For fat loss, many use the body weight x 10 formula; some use body weight x 12. There are fancier, more complex methods, but these will give you a place to start.

That’s about the amount of calories that the V-Diet calculator uses, so that sounds good to me.

What are the best intervals to drop calories? 5lbs, 10lbs…? What do you think?

PS. I love this site. I have learned more here in 9 months than I have in over a decade of struggling with my weight. I really appreciate your help and answering my questions, which I know you have probably answered hundreds of other times. Thanks to you and all the contributors who use themselves as guinea pigs then are gratuitous enough share the info with us.

[quote]milgirl wrote:

[/quote]

Do you mean, when do you drop calories again after weight loss?

If so, this is where it gets tricky. You can’t just keep dropping calories. You’ll stagnate, lose muscle, harm your metabolism, and risk getting an eating disorder. Better to do other things: choose better foods, increase activity, build more muscle to burn more calories, take a fat burner etc. In fact, many who’ve stopped losing fat can start again by increasing calories.

This is one reason why calorie cycling and carb cycling can work very well. That’s where you may eat low cals all week, then bump them up on the weekend (hopefully with clean sources).

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

[quote]milgirl wrote:

[/quote]

Do you mean, when do you drop calories again after weight loss?

If so, this is where it gets tricky. You can’t just keep dropping calories. You’ll stagnate, lose muscle, harm your metabolism, and risk getting an eating disorder. Better to do other things: choose better foods, increase activity, build more muscle to burn more calories, take a fat burner etc. In fact, many who’ve stopped losing fat can start again by increasing calories.

This is one reason why calorie cycling and carb cycling can work very well. That’s where you may eat low cals all week, then bump them up on the weekend (hopefully with clean sources).

[/quote]
Yes, I was referring to dropping calories after I’ve lost some weight. It just seems like a person that weighs 130lbs should eat less than a person that weighs 190lbs. What did you do?

[quote]
Yes, I was referring to dropping calories after I’ve lost some weight. It just seems like a person that weighs 130lbs should eat less than a person that weighs 190lbs. What did you do?[/quote]

I eat only good foods, don’t count calories, and auto-regulate. :wink:

Seriously, most calorie-counters have to do it because they choose unhealthy foods. Don’t do that, ditch the breads, pastas, milk, etc. and it’s really not necessary. But again, keeping a food log for a while will teach you a lot.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

LOL
I have ditched the breads, cakes, and pasta, unless I make them. I am limiting my carbs 100 a day, and pulsing 2 times a week. I was just concerned about limiting the food that I eat on non-pulse days. I just didn’t want to overdo it. I stay full longer now and I don’t have the mind numbing cravings either.

Sounds like you’re on the right track then. If you’re not already, I’d suggest taking tape measurements, V-Diet style, and tracking that more-so than scale weight. That’ll keep you motivated and really show you how your plans are working. Then it’ll be easier to adjust as needed along the way.

Thanks, I’ll do that.

I just have a quick question regarding the diet

If I can’t afford Anaconda or any other associated supplements from the protocol as you advised, can I use my own solution.

By this I mean take down a glucose carb drink just 10-15 minutes before I workout with weights. About 20-30 grams of carbs would be in the drink. (Such as similar to Gatorade).

Or would you reccomend I drink it while I workout.

I started this diet on MOnday, and yesterday I had a horrible workout where I was lifting at 80% compared to last Saturday, but I didnt have the carb drink…

Any thoughts?

[quote]aurnob wrote:
I just have a quick question regarding the diet

If I can’t afford Anaconda or any other associated supplements from the protocol as you advised, can I use my own solution.

By this I mean take down a glucose carb drink just 10-15 minutes before I workout with weights. About 20-30 grams of carbs would be in the drink. (Such as similar to Gatorade).

Or would you reccomend I drink it while I workout.

I started this diet on MOnday, and yesterday I had a horrible workout where I was lifting at 80% compared to last Saturday, but I didnt have the carb drink…

Any thoughts?[/quote]

Well, something is always better than nothing. So give it a shot.

so drinking the glucose ( aka fast acting carbs) shortly prior to workout, im not damaging my fat loss efforts?

[quote]aurnob wrote:
so drinking the glucose ( aka fast acting carbs) shortly prior to workout, im not damaging my fat loss efforts?[/quote]

You probably not going to burn fat during the workout doing that, but you’ll fuel muscle gain better. It’s give and take. And what you’re doing the rest of the time is what’s going to make the difference.

ok, that sounds alrite.

im just curious then to how you would be burning fat during the workout if u took surge as it has 50 grams glucose in it. so is the main goal during workout not burning fat but just allowing for optimal muscular performance, and the rest of the time fat burning?

thanks

[quote]aurnob wrote:
ok, that sounds alrite.

im just curious then to how you would be burning fat during the workout if u took surge as it has 50 grams glucose in it. so is the main goal during workout not burning fat but just allowing for optimal muscular performance, and the rest of the time fat burning?

thanks[/quote]

With weight training you want a high-insulin state to fuel anabolism – muscle building.

For fat loss or cardio-only workout, you want a low-insulin state since insulin “protects” fat.

So, fasted morning cardio with MAG-10 is ideal for fat loss. But for weight training you want something like Surge Workout Fuel, FINiBAR, Surge Recovery etc. for the peri-workout period – the higher carb stuff.

Some additional info here: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_ultimate_cardio_solution_disclosed

wat is your opinion on sugar free diet drinks, ie Pepsi Max.

[quote]aurnob wrote:
wat is your opinion on sugar free diet drinks, ie Pepsi Max.

[/quote]

Calorie-free diet sodas are certainly better than full-sugar. If having one or two per day gets you over a craving when dieting then that’s great.

Many believe that they somehow cause weight gain or inhibit weight loss because the sweetness triggers a response in the brain to crave calories and sugar. From another article, “When the sodas fail to deliver those expected items, an individual inadvertently eats more food than they would normally in order to alleviate that craving. A less technical theory is that people assume diet sodas are healthier options for them, and therefore they go ahead and choose less healthy food items including extra snacks, supersized portions, or other sweets. Cutting calories in the drink, however, does not compensate for the additional levels of food that many individuals may ingest.”

I get it, but this does not mean that “diet sodas make ya fat” as some have said. Just 1) don’t compensate with unhealthy foods and 2) don’t give in to sweet cravings if diet sodas indeed cause them.

So, I think they’re fine at one or two per day. Water is always the best choice of course.

alright thanks for that
i just had some confusion regarding if diet soda’s might somehow inadvertently cause insulin release as it mimics sweetness, as i read somewhere before.
but it seems that may be false

since im a university student still living at home with my parents, eating all the right foods for this diet is hard, as so when bulking as well.

i just wanted to ask your opinion of me eating a meal of pasta 20 minutes prior to weights (cheese, meat, pasta, tomato pasta sauce). would this be simiilar to a glucose/sucrose drink or wat?