Biotest

Looking for V-Diet Alternatives

Ideally, I would love to attempt the V-diet. After several diet/fat-burning runs, I’ve made progress… but none so much as the V-diet promises if followed correctly.

Not only that, but it prepares you physically and psychologically for eating properly in the future, keeping your hard-earned gains(or I suppose losses would be more appropriate).

Unfortunately, I cannot afford the ~600$ price tag on a month of this diet. I’m a junior in high school and have been weightlifting for about 20 months. Yes, I’m aware that I’m considered a beginner.

I’m merely looking for options that have a more palatable financial cost.

Suggestions? Currently I’m following Christian Thibaudeau’s Destroying Fat article, but have been into it for about a month now and am looking for a new plan after I’ve gone back to moderate calorie intake for a bit.

Edit: About 170lbs, likely 12% body fat (a guess though, haven’t been able to get a caliper test lately)

[quote]Hugo82 wrote:
Ideally, I would love to attempt the V-diet. After several diet/fat-burning runs, I’ve made progress… but none so much as the V-diet promises if followed correctly. Not only that, but it prepares you physically and psychologically for eating properly in the future, keeping your hard-earned gains(or I suppose losses would be more appropriate).

Unfortunately, I cannot afford the ~600$ price tag on a month of this diet. I’m a junior in high school and have been weightlifting for about 20 months. Yes, I’m aware that I’m considered a beginner.

I’m merely looking for options that have a more palatable financial cost.

Suggestions? Currently I’m following Christian Thibaudeau’s Destroying Fat article, but have been into it for about a month now and am looking for a new plan after I’ve gone back to moderate calorie intake for a bit.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1499282[/quote]

supplements are often cheaper than food. Not as good, but cheaper. Just something to think about.

Yes, I understand that point. But the fact is, that since I’m in high school I don’t really have a whole lot of personal funds to pay for this. And I’ll be damned if I can get my divorced mother to pay up for that quantity of supplements, especially since my 18yr old sister just had a baby.

Kind of in a jam.

Currently I use Body Fortress Whey Protein because it’s the easiest to get (and cheapest). Obviously, it’s not the best. But it’s better than nothing.

Should I purchase some micellar casein to mix with it to kill hunger?

Try any kind of low-carb diet for now. Once you’ve saved up, get stuck into the V-Diet.

Would you recommend the Carb Cycling Codex also by Thibaudeau?

[quote]Hugo82 wrote:
Currently I use Body Fortress Whey Protein because it’s the easiest to get (and cheapest). Obviously, it’s not the best. But it’s better than nothing.

Should I purchase some micellar casein to mix with it to kill hunger?[/quote]

not just to kill the hunger, to avoid having your body eat itself. Consuming nothing but whey is crazy.

Any recommendations on where to purchase some?

I’ve been told Grow!, which I’d purchase except that I don’t see micellar casein in the ingredient list.

[quote]Hugo82 wrote:
Any recommendations on where to purchase some?

I’ve been told Grow!, which I’d purchase except that I don’t see micellar casein in the ingredient list.[/quote]

grow is now whey-only. what used to be Metabolic Drive is now Metabolic Drive, which is what Shugart recommends.

Ah, all right. Since I already have whey protein though, where could I purchase just micellar casein?

I’d advise doing a more normal diet. Carb Cycling or T-Dawg diet 2.0 or Anabolic Diet.

Shugs specifically recommends against the Velocity Diet for minors.

As far as protein goes, Micellar casein is an excellent product, but far from necessary, especially if cost is an issue.

Animal flesh is your friend on a cut. So is olive oil and vegetables.

Thanks for the notification, Otep. I hadn’t seen a recommendation against the V-Diet for minors, but I saw one of the persons participating in the clinic was only eighteen.

And I’ve got the delicious animal flesh and olive oil well stocked, along with veggies (which I need to eat more of).

Though, I’d like some micellar casein to kill the hunger and potential catabolism that would occur overnight, or any other time.

You’re not likely to need this diet unless you’re really obese.

As for casein I recommend Metabolic Drive simply because it’s the best tasting protein I’ve had. 1 shake before bed does not sound like a bad idea. I take one before bed and one after I wake up.

If you can’t afford it, try milk or cheese, which I believe have 80% casein (of total proteins). Hopefully someone can verify this?

All right, thanks for the advice.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
If you can’t afford it, try milk or cheese, which I believe have 80% casein (of total proteins). Hopefully someone can verify this?[/quote]

It’s my understanding that milk is 80/20 Casein/Whey.

BD

You’re in high school and want to lose fat and get better fitness… cool.

I guess the question I would ask myself is whether you need the V-Diet or a lot of supplements at all?

The V-Diet is 4 weeks out of your life. You have the other 11 months and the rest of your teenage years and beyond.

So if mom/dad are footing the food bill why can’t you talk to them and load up on chicken, lean beef, fish, turkey, green veggies, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, etc.

Funds are low for a teen - I get that. So focus on getting Metabolic Drive since the casein/whey protein powder is really a great price for what you get.

The V-Diet rocks and is very effective, but it’s a point in time. You have lots of time – you’re a teen. Clean up your diet, make sure you’re getting enough protein, and follow a simple/solid strength program and get your NEPA in.

Something like the “lite” V-Diet or even just a shake/day will help along with monitoring your macro food intake.

The V-Diet really does help you lose the cravings for junk food but discipline works too.

Read Chris’ articles on mindset and desire - they are really good. If you don’t have the funds, you don’t have the funds. Adapt.

So step by step to my simple brain:

1. run the numbers from the V-Diet to get the approx. protein, carbs, and fats you need.

2. register an account (free) on fitday.com to track all your food intake.

3. talk to mom/dad about wanting to get healthy and here’s your plan…

4. If you can, buy Metabolic Drive, Surge, and fish oils

5. execute for 28 days

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.