Biotest

Lexst's Log

Start date: 4/1/11

Stats:
26 year old female
5’6
Official starting weight 140 lbs (but have been running 137-138)
Type 2 MODY diabetes (since 13 y/o; well-controlled)
Goal: Lean out ~10 lbs, gain strength

Background:
Lost 15 lbs since Thanksgiving by calorie counting and eating low-carb. Have been a runner for 3 years. Practice some yoga and recreational kickboxing. Clean eater for most of adult life. Started lifting two months ago (and love it!). Even though I had been exercising ~13 hr/week and counting calories, fat loss plateaued. So here I am!

One of V-Diet’s main draws was that I got really sick of obsessing about every morsel of food, calculating what I was consuming/expending, etc. I wasn’t even listening to my body anymore, and I was working really hard and seeing no benefit (probably zapping my metabolism).

Excited to see the results! Other folks’ logs helped me learn quite a bit, so hopefully mine can do the same for others.

Day 1: 4/1/11

Took 1 HOT-ROX in the AM, definitely felt the energy buzz. Second HOT-ROX at 3 pm. The first shake wasn’t that good, to be honest. Not sure I’m a fan of vanilla, plus the flax seed. I got a bit nauseous from it and it was so filling I could only get down 1/4th. I had my kickboxing class to get to, so I stuck the rest in the freezer for afterward. Then it was 4 pm and I realized I still had 4.75 shakes to get down by the end of the day! The second shake that called for flax seed, I cut the serving in half to see if that helped the nausea (and it seemed to). I had 3 of the SF fiber choice tabs throughout the day. Followed the instructions of the diet for all the shakes, the Flameout pills, etc.

The other flavors were more palatable. (Strawberry seems better with the flaxseed - you can pretend the seeds are from the berries!) The last shake of the day I had chocolate with natural PB…yummy.

All in all, I felt good. No hunger. Liked the shakes just fine. The nausea in the AM went away pretty quickly.

Activity: I did 1 hour of kickboxing, and then at night, instead of my usual grocery store visit, I did some easy cycling. Doing less activity will probably be the hardest part of the plan for me. I’m going to really miss running/cardio, but plan to substitute with other activities I probably would not have done otherwise (swimming, shoot hoops, more yoga).

So far so good!

Welcome aboard!

Quick note: A few people get nauseous if they take HOT-ROX on an empty stomach. Could be that and not the flax seed. It’s okay to take HOT-ROX with a shake if needed. Give it a shot.

Any specific questions for me, be sure to pop them into the <a href="http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_bodybuilding_velocity?pageNo=1&s=forumsNavTop"target=“new”>Ask Chris forum.

Thanks, Chris, I’ll give that a try!

Day 2: 4/2/11

Slept well last night until, oh, about 4 am. Woke up and felt wired for a couple hours. Made a note that I should take the second dose of HOT-ROX earlier in the day. I fell back asleep for a couple hours…until I woke again to some mild stomach distress. Felt pretty cleaned out afterward, lol.

I didn’t see Chris’ comment about HOT-ROX on an empty stomach v. with the first meal shake, so I did take it on an empty stomach again today. Had the first shake a couple hours later and felt fine, no nausea. The HOT-ROX had me buzzing again.

Had my second dose of HOT-ROX at 1 pm along with the second shake of the day. Nausea hit after that, but just slightly, nothing too bothersome. I waited an hour and headed to the gym for a workout. Nausea was gone by the time I arrived.

THE WORKOUT WAS ROUGH. Ha, worst workout I’ve had. I could tell immediately during the warm up that my energy just wasn’t there. I usually do about 300-400 jumping jacks before lifting, as well as lunges, woodchops, and some stretching. I could barely get through the jumping jacks. Just felt weak. Whatever, pushed through it, hit the weight room.

Front Squats:
BW x 12 x 1
20 lbs x 10 x 1
30 lbs x 8 x 1
45 lbs x 5 x 8
My blood pressure kept falling during these which I haven’t experienced since first starting lifting. I tried to keep to the 45 sec rest period, but a few times needed ~15 additional seconds for BP to stabilize and lightheaded feeling to pass.

DB bench press:
20 lbs x 12 x 1
30 lbs x 10 x 1
40 lbs x 8 x 5

Bent-over rows:
30 lbs x 15 x 1
40 lbs x 8 x 5

Planks:
Wasn’t too sure what to do with these (checked when I got home and got it figured out for next time though).
40 seconds x 1
30 seconds x 5
45 second rest period in between.
Felt really drained by the time I got to these. Usually I can hold planks longer. I wanted to lay down on the mat and take a nap lol.

Leg curls:
20 lbs x 15 x 1
35 lbs x 13 x 1
50 lbs x 10 x 1
65 lbs x 5 x 1
80 lbs x 3 x 5
-Trying to correct a quad/ham strength imbalance. This is the one exercise I did see strength gain since last workout despite the lethargy :slight_smile:

Tired as I was, I envied the runners on the treadmills. Usually post-lifting I would run. Went for a walk today in the nice weather. I’ve been tracking my blood sugars closely - yesterday they were right on target. Today I had a high reading 4 hours after the workout/post-workout Surge drink. Next workout I will halve the Surge serving size and see if that helps. I’m particularly interested to see how my diabetes is affected by this diet, as well as how my diabetes may affect the outcome.

Tonight I think I’ll fall asleep pretty early. I’m surprisingly tired! Haven’t given too much thought to food still. The shakes keep me pretty full and today I had the vanilla MD without flaxseed and enjoyed the flavor much more. 26 more days to go!

Welcome, and good luck! It seems like you will do well on this diet, sounds like you have amazing discipline! I’m on Day 7 myself, it’s going well.

Speaking of flavors, the other day I did one scoop chocolate and one scoop vanilla, and it was so good! It tasted like chocolate milk. I have always stayed away from doing the strawberry with the flax seeds because I thought it’d be weird. But I loved your comment about just pretending they are seeds…I’ll have to try that! I find myself coming up with tricks constantly on this diet. My favorite is treating the fiber choice tablets as dessert.

I do that same thing with the fiber tablets

[quote]ktaylor27 wrote:
Welcome, and good luck! It seems like you will do well on this diet, sounds like you have amazing discipline! I’m on Day 7 myself, it’s going well.

Speaking of flavors, the other day I did one scoop chocolate and one scoop vanilla, and it was so good! It tasted like chocolate milk. I have always stayed away from doing the strawberry with the flax seeds because I thought it’d be weird. But I loved your comment about just pretending they are seeds…I’ll have to try that! I find myself coming up with tricks constantly on this diet. My favorite is treating the fiber choice tablets as dessert. [/quote]
Thanks for the well wishes! How’s your resolve/cravings a week into it?

Amazing how yummy the fiber choice tablets seem just because you get to gnaw on something.

What part of NY are you from? I originally hail from Buffalo.

I’m originally from California, but I have lived in NYC for the last 4 years, currently residing in Queens. Cravings haven’t really been to terrible…I think the first 3 days were the hardest but after that, I became used to the idea that the shakes are all I can have, and I started looking forward to each one. I had my first HSM yesterday and it was heaven. I think I’ll be able to successfully complete this diet, and I feel very good about that. And I measured my waist this morning and have already lost an inch in about a week…it is a very rewarding feeling to see results already!

Day 3: 4/3/11

Just a bunch of jumbled thoughts so far today that if I don’t get out, I’ll probably forget:

Slept fantastically! Maybe TMI but in case anyone is interested, I woke to another liquidy BM, but it was less so than yesterday. And not bothersome at all. I was never much of a pooper so it’s actually been kind of nice, lol.

Took my first HOT-ROX with the first shake - no nausea. Shake was hard to get down though. Took me an hour to drink it all. I added a pinch of salt to it. After the low blood pressure issue at yesterday’s workout thought it might be a good idea. Docs always recommended I up my sodium intake to keep the BP stable.

My fasting blood sugar was 88 - right on target, though about 10 pts higher than pre-VDiet. 88 is still really good though.

Today I’m going cycling at a local park with my buddy for the NEPA. Then later on I’m meeting some friends at a restaurant and we’re going bowling afterward. Debating if I should just show up to the restaurant a little late since they’ll all be eating and I can avoid stupid comments/questions about why I’m not eating. I’m steeling myself to hear the usual and expected:

“WTF are you doing?”
“Why would you do that? You know you don’t need to do that, right?”
“Do you have an eating disorder/body image problem?”

I don’t think I should have to hide what I’m doing, but comments like that piss me off. I was already hearing it when I was just counting calories. This diet actually seems much emotionally healthier to me in that regard - it’s less obsessing. So mind your own f*cking business. Eat all the lard you want to. (Mind you, a couple of these people complain about how they want to lose weight…while destroying a plate of nachos. Gimme a break.) And THEN I was thinking it would be nice to shoot hoops at the gym with someone for the NEPA…but who would go with me? I need more athletic-minded friends. I always thought socializing with the express purpose of consuming food to be a strange concept. Especially in the dating scene - so much eating! I don’t want to eat a big dinner and then get it on, y’know?

[quote]ktaylor27 wrote:
I’m originally from California, but I have lived in NYC for the last 4 years, currently residing in Queens. Cravings haven’t really been to terrible…I think the first 3 days were the hardest but after that, I became used to the idea that the shakes are all I can have, and I started looking forward to each one. I had my first HSM yesterday and it was heaven. I think I’ll be able to successfully complete this diet, and I feel very good about that. And I measured my waist this morning and have already lost an inch in about a week…it is a very rewarding feeling to see results already![/quote]

That’s fantastic! Day 3 for me and I haven’t really had any cravings, but I was already doing a cal deficit for a while so maybe that helped. Wondering if I’ll get sick of the shakes at some point and start craving stuff though. Right now I’m still enjoying the taste (aside from the flaxseed). It occurred to me last night that I shouldn’t be enjoying the diet so much, lol. I’m kind of having fun though. It’s a neat experience.

Haven’t thought about the HSM yet…scared if I start thinking about it the cravings will follow!

Cali to NYC is quite the change. How are you liking it? West Coast > East Coast, IMO…

Welcome aboard, keep it up!

Day 4: 4/4/11

Curiosity got the best of me and I jumped on the scale this morning. Down 3 lbs to 137. Probably all the pooping lol. 7 lbs to go. Wondering if that’s a lot or little for this diet. Others seem to have dropped 20 lbs or so…7 doesn’t seem like much, though I have less to lose. Could I get to 128? 125? We’ll see what happens.

Yesterday I did an hour of biking and then walked around town and through the park with my gal pal for a couple hours. Weather was beautiful and the sun felt great.

Last night at the restaurant was pretty easy. My plan to arrive late and avoid the food ordering/consumption was thwarted. Even arriving an hour late, I was early. Everyone ordered giant plates of wraps and pizzas and then finished off with these delicious desserts of peanut butter pies and ice cream sundaes. I sipped a lot of water. My stomach was also feeling pretty raw from the flaxseed in the shake I drank on the way there which curbed any hunger/desire I might have otherwise felt. I was teased for ordering water. “How’s that water?” “It’s bitchin’.” But it went fine. I divulged that I just had a flaxseed shake and my stomach was full and not digesting so well, so I didn’t have to go into any more detail on what I was doing.

Had a difficult time falling asleep last night but once I was out, I was dead to the world.

Today I’m going for a swim at the gym pool. Haven’t done any proper swimming in years so I’m looking forward to it. Also have my second workout - I’m hoping it goes better now that I’m adding pinches of salt to the shakes here and there.

Fasting blood sugar was in the 80’s again this AM. All throughout yesterday they hung around 100. No lows or highs.

Overall, feel really good. Good energy, good spirits, good resolve. :slight_smile:

Good for you, keep going. It does get easier. I am on day 8 today and kind of feel like I am past the worst of it and hoping for easier times now.

Good luck with the swimming. You can do it!

Day 4 (continued)

Wow, today got harder. I was hungry, the shakes seemed less filling, and I was thinking about food more. I was even smelling imaginary food, lol.

I upped the HOT-ROX to 3 doses today. Workout went better than the last. My energy was up and I felt stronger. Just figuring out the reps/weights and such. No low blood pressure problems so I think the extra salt I’ve been adding to shakes has helped. Today was my first time doing romanian deadlifts - I like them a lot.

Overhead Press:
15 lbs x 15
20 lbs x 16
25 lbs x 12
20 lbs x 16
20 lbs x 12
20 lbs x 12

Lat Pull (underhand):
50 lbs x 15
70 lbs x 16
70 lbs x 16
70 lbs x 13
70 lbs x 12

RDL:
20 lbs x 17
30 lbs x 17
30 lbs x 10
30 lbs x 12

Side planks:
45 seconds each side x 2
45 second rest between each set

Post-workout I had half the serving of Surge and my blood sugars fared much better today. Spiked to 170 but returned to 100 in a couple hours. All other readings throughout the day stuck around 100 also. Not a lot of variance which is good. Used to fluctuate between 65 and 125 a lot; now it’s just hovering near 100.

Flaxseed didn’t bother me at all today. Forgot to mention in prior posts that I was cutting down on the flaxseed to better introduce my body to it, doing 1/2-3/4ths of a full recommended serving. Tomorrow I think I’ll try doing a full serving.

Energy dropped in the afternoon. Felt like napping. In the early evening I did laps at the pool for 40 minutes. I think I’ll fall asleep early tonight.

On to Day 5. Then two days to first HSM. Huzzah!

Day 5: 4/5/11

Yesterday’s NEPA was a 40 minute swim. Felt good to be back in the water after so many years. I used to be a sorta decent swimmer back in the day.

Couldn’t sleep at all last night. Funny, I was tired all day and thought I’d sleep like a rock, but then I stayed up until 3 am. Good news is that I finally got around to filing my tax return.

I was hungry/thought about food even more today. My roommate made some buttered toast this morning. I can still visualize how savory the butter looked as it was half-melting on the beautiful slabs of bread, lol. The smell was delightful.

Tonight was my yoga class so that was my NEPA for the day. I was curious how my strength would be, given that I’ve felt sort of run-down in terms of energy but yoga went great! Actually, I think it improved. I feel cleaned out and lighter, more flexible.

But I thought about food during the class A LOT. Never occurred to me how much I associate yoga with food, actually. Every week, my two good friends (that are also in the class) and I grab something to eat directly afterward. So I’ve been programmed to relate the yoga with subsequent food consumption. I got really hungry during the yoga; my body probably expecting that meal. I had brought my shake and sipped it while my friends ate.

Funny, when I told them what I was doing, they were REALLY supportive. Especially my one friend who is this sorta Buddhist/philosopher who has done a lot of fasts for spiritual purposes and self-discipline, so he got why I was doing this. It’s not just about fat loss…it’s about the challenge and willpower. So it was nice to know I had their support/they didn’t think I was a freak.

Blood sugars were lower today. Fasting was 75, and throughout the day they ran in the 80’s. Absolutely beautiful.

I’m really excited about my first HSM in 2 days and have finally allowed myself to start thinking about what I might want. I can’t wait.

Day 6: 4/6/11

HOT-ROX is working well for me on an empty stomach. Feel the energy from it more than on days I took it with the shake, and I think it curbs the hunger/cravings better. All the flaxseed is going down better now too. Thought about food in the later afternoon but nothing crazy - just passing thoughts.

Blood sugars are holding steady in the 80’s. I’m very pleased about that.

Workout C was today. Sumo DL’s and incline DB bench presses were new and fun to try out, though I have to work on the sumo form…felt it in my shoulders and back a lot. Kind of neat to be trying this new faster pace/shorter rest period business too. I’m still getting the hang of it. Wondering how it will pan out as the rest periods decrease. Feel like it’s already difficult to get a swig of water and jot down the number of reps with 45 seconds.

Sumo Deadlifts:
55 lbs x 9
65 lbs x 10
65 lbs x 10
65 lbs x 7
65 lbs x 9

Lat Pull (wide grip):
60 lbs x 15
60 lbs x 12
70 lbs x 9
80 lbs x 8
70 lbs x 9
70 lbs x 9

Incline DB bench press:
20 lbs x 15
30 lbs x 8
30 lbs x 8
40 lbs x 5
30 lbs x 8
30 lbs x 7

Planks:
65 seconds x 2 (45 sec rest between sets)

TOMORROW IS MY HSM!!! It’s already been a week?! Doing the V-Burn Challenge tomorrow afternoon, then thinking of having baked salmon, asparagus, small sweet potato, and maybe some spinach arugula salad. Can’t. Freaking. Wait.

Day 7: 4/7/11

First official weigh-in and measurement:

137-8 lbs
Measurements are the same
Feel/look the same

Hrrrrm? :scratches head:

Total of 2-3 lbs lost, but I was running between 136-138 before starting V-Diet (a last cheat day put me up to 140 for the official first weigh-in). I was already doing low-carb so I didn’t have the water weight to lose. Spoke to Chris about this and under his advisement I’m going to reduce the MD scoops by 1 or 2 a day.

I’m a bit bummed. I was really looking forward to my first HSM today but I feel less deserving of it. I’m almost afraid of it, that it will hinder progress, but I’m sticking to the plan.

Knew I didn’t have that much to lose. Getting down to 130 was my hope, but I know that’s just a number and not the whole picture. I also know that my body is really stubborn and likes my current weight.

Whatever. We’ll see what happens. I’m still having fun with this. Think it’s neat to test yourself, your resolve and willpower, break out of your comfort zone.

V-Burn Challenge this afternoon. Then HSM later!

I’ve been off the web for a couple of days, but I enjoyed catching up on your log this morning. A couple of things:

"It’s not just about fat loss…it’s about the challenge and willpower. " <–Totally agree with this. Sticking to this challenge has made me feel so productive, as well as proud of myself and my willpower. And that’s a good thing. I’m glad that your yoga friends are being so supportive! It’s always nice when people surprise you with their acceptance of things that other people think are insane.

With the whole disappointment about the little weight loss…same here. At a week and a half, I’ve only lost 3 lbs. And I’m like…I have been forgoing so much and this is all the progress I see? BUT, I’ve read a few people that have said even though this diet is short (28 days) it’s a marathon. We can’t be discouraged by what seems like a lack of progress now, we need to wait till the end and then see our total transformation. I took a look at the before and after pics forum the other day, and that helped lift my spirits. This diet transforms bodies when followed 100%, and I want to stick with it to the end and see what it does for me.

And, you totally deserve the HSM. Just because you haven’t “lost weight”, doesn’t mean you haven’t been working hard and pushing yourself. You should reward yourself for your hard work. And eating good healthy foods is not going to make you fat.

Hope you enjoy your HSM! And good luck in the upcoming weeks!

Thank you, KT! I’ve been enjoying following your log/progress as well.