Biotest

Let's Do This!

Going to start the diet tomorrow morning and I’m pumped!

Here is what I’m working with:
Height: 5’10
Weight: 185
Body Fat*: 16%

*from my scale, so taken with a grain of salt

And the rest of my measurements (taken by myself, so also taken with a grain of salt):
Neck: 15.5"
Shoulders: 19" wide
Chest - Upper: 46"
Chest - Lower: 40"
Waist - at Navel: 33"
Waist - at largest: 33"
Hips - at largest: 41
Upper Arm - L: 15.25" (while flexing bicep)
Upper Arm - R: 15"
Upper Leg - L: 24"
Upper Leg - R: 24"
Lower Leg - L: 15" (while flexing calf)
Lower Leg - R: 15"
Ankle - L: 10"
Ankle - R: 10"

My goal is to drop BMI (of course) but specifically to have less man-boob action and a 6-pack! And after looking at these pictures, also to lose the little bit of extra waist fat you can see protruding over my waist band.

I’m happy with my muscle build – although my legs are probably too small compared to my upper body. But maybe things will even out over the next 6 weeks.

How was your first day?

Well, the first week is almost over… things are going OK so far.

The diet itself is surprisingly easy! Don’t get me wrong, I have frequent cravings for solid food – like Chinese food or a cheese stake and onion rings (my favorite pre-V-Diet lunch) but those cravings are definitely for the flavor and mental satisfaction of eating those foods and not out of hunger. It suits my personality very well to follow a diet that tells me what to eat all day, every day… because left to my own devices I end up eating crap most of the time (like a cheese stake and onion rings every day for lunch!).

The workout plan, on the other hand, has been kicking my ass! I’ve never been one to follow appropriate rest time between sets. So now that I’m following the rest times to a T, it’s, as I said, kicking my ass.

On top of that, I came down with a cold Tues night into Wed. I thought about stopping the diet so that I could recover since I was only a few days in but I decided not to b/c I don’t think I could convince myself to give up solid food again after seeing how much I miss it (plus no one ever said eat plenty of solids to get over a cold!). So I decided to stick to my guns and see this thing through to the end.

As a result I skipped the Wed workout and NEPA on Wed so I could go to bed early to fight this cold. Thurs I felt a lot better (but the cold is still here) so I did the Wed workout without a problem. Today’s (Fri) workout really did me in tho and I was unable to finish – I didn’t see the point in pushing myself so hard as to throw up my last shake. I think part of the problem might have been working out too soon after taking HOT-ROX (I could taste that HOT-ROX pill flavor in my burps – plus I was burping at the gym which seems odd).

I’m not looking forward to the V-burn Challenge tomorrow… but we will see how that goes!

I am just ending my first week too. Definitely not easy and it is interesting the different challenges everyone faces. For me the workouts feel good. In fact I feel better when working out then when just walking around the office. I get warmed up and loosened up so I can actually move without being sore.

For me the biggest challenge is the taste of the shakes. I feel well nourished but still crave some real food.

For the HOT-ROX I don’t know if it makes a difference to workout right after you take them or not? I puked after my first workout but that was 3-4 hours after my last does of HOT-ROX. I chugged down the recovery drink and it all ended up on my shoes as I was getting into my car in the parking lot. Not fun. I am NO expert but try taking no less than 30 minutes from the time you take HOT-ROX to when you work out. See my post with my schedule. Might help.

Bummer on the cold. I commend you for sticking to the program. Hang in there. The workouts will get better.

Well unfortunately my cold hasn’t gotten better like I planned on. My throat has gotten more sore and I’ve developed a cough. I’ve decided to put the V-Diet on hold because I can’t go through with the workout in this condition and there is no point in following the diet without doing the workout.

I am considering starting again next weekend (I like the symmetry of starting on a Sun) after I’ve kicked this cold.

But I’m also considering doing a V-Diet light type of program for a while instead. After evaluating what I’ve learned about myself this past week I don’t think I’m at a point in my life where I could sustain a great enough diet to sustain the body fat percentage I was hoping to reach on the V-Diet. Hopefully I can find a happy medium lifestyle that will suit me physically and also mentally – What I mean by that is that after the V-Diet it would be just dumb to do something like eat a cheese stake and have a tall glass of milk BUT I think a craving to due such a thing would always haunt me and I just don’t want that kind of mental anguish. So if I follow the V-Diet workout plan for a while and cook myself healthy meals and supplement where I might have had junk food with healthy shakes instead, I feel I can arrive at a good point in my life where I can be comfortable with giving in to a cheese stake craving and not feel like I’m killing the progress I’ve made.

In other words, post-V-Diet I would feel compelled to keep a super healthy life style – but that would cause me mental anguish b/c I have cravings to live in the moment and eat shitty foods and binge drink. So I would either be less mentally happy or just fall of the wagon and basically the V-diet would have been for naught. But if I can strike a healthy balance by doing the V-Diet light then I wouldn’t feel so bad about eating crap once in a while b/c I know that I’ve overall improved my eating habits and I also know that I’m not throwing away all the progress I made while on the V-Diet (b/c I wouldn’t have actually done it, get it?)

That might all sound a little confusing and someone is probably going to point out to me that this is all a self-justification to quit. But let me remind you that the only reason I am stopping now is b/c of this cold. And this stopping after only a week has given me a unique prospective on my overall lifestyle and I know that positive overall change is going to result (weather or not I decide to complete the V-Diet after I get over this cold).

Basically, I’m going to apply the healthy lessons I’ve learned from this experience – sticking to prescribed rest times during workouts, not drinking milk anymore (I used to have milk with every breakfast and dinner), having healthy protein shakes make with water instead of other mixers (I used to use OJ a lot), doing a v-burn challenge or other such circuit workouts every weekend (instead of being completely inactive on the weekends), and daily NEPA – and apply them to my previous lifestyle. So I know that the result is that I’m going to be healthier and in better shape.

So sum up, I’m happy that I did my mini version of the V-Diet and I have no regrets in this moment. And hopefully 5 weeks from now when I would have finished the diet if I had no stopped today, I will feel the same way. And hopefully 1 year from now I will still feel the same way!

And I’m still young, so I can always change my mind, buckle down, and do the full V-Diet. Until then, cheers!

So, despite all that stuff I said in my last post. I actually want to start the V-diet again and finish this time! I find that I actually miss the convenience of not having to think about what to eat – but I don’t have those renewed taste buds Chris talks about in the v-diet write-up b/c I didn’t go those 6 weeks of mostly shakes to really appreciate health solid foods.

My cold seems to be 100% gone this morning so I would start tomorrow (I already had eggs this morning) or wait until Sun (again, I like the symmetry of starting on a Sun – it gives me a good sense of the progressing weeks of the diet)… but I already made plans to travel for Labor Day weekend during which it would be incredibly difficult to follow the diet. So my plan is to start the week after Labor Day weekend.

This time around on of my major motivations is going to be to say that I saw it through to the end at least once. I also hope that what Chris says in the write-up about rebooting how my body and brain think about hunger and food really hits me hard enough to change how I think about a really healthy lifestyle (AKA the rationalizations I made in my last post).

So once again, until then, cheers!

It is a MAJOR accomplishment to make it through the 28 days. The best part of the V-Diet (in my opinion) isn’t even the weight you lose on the diet, it is the reprogramming of the food cravings to help make permanent changes to how you eat. It is a crap food detox. The positive effect you can have on your physique following the V-Diet by following healthy eating habits can be much greater than the weight you will lose during the 6 weeks.

[quote]hockeydawg wrote:
It is a MAJOR accomplishment to make it through the 28 days. The best part of the V-Diet (in my opinion) isn’t even the weight you lose on the diet, it is the reprogramming of the food cravings to help make permanent changes to how you eat. It is a crap food detox. The positive effect you can have on your physique following the V-Diet by following healthy eating habits can be much greater than the weight you will lose during the 6 weeks.

[/quote]

So, you never or rarely crave things like pizza, wings, hoagies (subs), etc. anymore? Since the V Diet do you throw in cheat meals here and there or???

PLEEEZZZZ stop talking about food. KILLING ME! haha

[quote]S C 0 0 Z E wrote:

[quote]hockeydawg wrote:

[/quote]

So, you never or rarely crave things like pizza, wings, hoagies (subs), etc. anymore? Since the V Diet do you throw in cheat meals here and there or???

[/quote]
Not really. I guess it depends on what you are talking about though. I do eat pizza once in a very great while (although I eat mostly the cheese and toppings and leave most of the crust). Wings (as long as they aren’t breaded) aren’t really that bad. Anything with processed sugars or a lot of carbs I really have no urge to eat. I can look at a piece of birthday cake, ice cream, hoagie or something like that, and I have no urge to eat it at all. The V-Diet really eliminated my urges for these types of foods.

I don’t do cheat meals (if by cheat meals you mean pigging out on large amounts of unhealthy foods), but I personally am not in a place where I think I need cheat meals. Here is a great article on some guidelines for cheat meals:

By following this, I’m just not there yet. I am currently not restricting my calories or carbs so much that I think I need a cheat.
Now on occasions, I do eat a large amount of more “healthy foods”, so you could consider that a “re-feed”. This usually involves a very big meal at a steakhouse, or something like that.

Well, I’ve started the once again. I started yesterday (Tues 9/6) which is kind of odd to start on a Tues but it seemed like the perfect time after taking a mini-vacation on the long weekend. I did the Monday workout yesterday and I’m going to do the Wed workout today which might suck to lift two days in a row but this way I’ll finish the week 1 lifts this week rather than having the Mon workout in the wrong calendar week.

After spending the weekend with my parents I have another motivation to see the diet to end and then stick with a healthy lifestyle: prove my parents wrong who think I won’t be able to do it! Of course, I’m still very motivated by myself to see this thing through till the end after a cold and some bad thinking stopped me last time!

Day 5: Did my first V-burn today… kind of. I got through 3 circuits (in about 25 mins) and then I lay on the floor for about 20 mins thinking about stopping the diet and going out to get some Chinese food.

On a side note, I just looked up the past tense of ‘lie’ (as in, to lie on the floor) and it is, indeed, ‘lay.’ Which sounds really weird… ‘I layed [sic] on the floor’ sounds so much more correct to me.

Anyway, back to the V-Diet. As much as I want to give up right now and get that Chinese (to be washed down with Mt Dew and probably to be followed by a beer or two), I’m not going to b/c I just want to see this thing through till the end.

I think that I will do another 3 circuits of the V-burn tomorrow to make up for my failure today (I just don’t have the mental motivation to finish those circuits today).

A little tip for anyone trying to do the V-burn challenge at home. If you’re going to do it inside, watch out b/c hand walkouts from your knees on carpet can give you carpet burn, ouch!

[quote]piccit wrote:

Anyway, back to the V-Diet. As much as I want to give up right now and get that Chinese (to be washed down with Mt Dew and probably to be followed by a beer or two), I’m not going to b/c I just want to see this thing through till the end.

I think that I will do another 3 circuits of the V-burn tomorrow to make up for my failure today (I just don’t have the mental motivation to finish those circuits today).[/quote]

Keep going piccit, you can do it! The first week sucks, I was ready to quit several times but my best friend kept encouraging me and the second and third weeks have been a lot easier. You start to feel better and get some of the mental toughness that it takes to make it to the end. Plus you start to see some changes and you realize just how well this diet works if you don’t give up!

You can do it!

Alright so… anyone reading through this thread is probably thinking to themselves, ‘wow, this kid sucks at life. Why does he keep posting here like we want to hear about his failures?’

That being said, let’s just go ahead and call the past 2 weeks my V-diet Lite into into into the real thing. After my last post, I did give up on the diet shortly after. Then Mon morning I got back on the diet, then Tues night I got take out after a long and tedious struggle trying to get my TV antenna working (side note: I really should just pay for cable). But I told myself that if I stay with program then it will still benefit me b/c even with one night of takeout, I still have a lower caloric intake than I’m used to, so I’ll still loose fat. So Wed and Thur I followed the program. Then on Fri I got takeout again after leaving the gym after only doing one exercise. I told myself the same crap I said on Tues about how it’s OK. Sat wasn’t much better and I skipped the V-burn challenge I had planned to do. Finally today I got so frustrated with myself after realizing that I’ll never break the habit of getting takeout when I’m stressed or tired if I keep this up. And if I never break that habit then I can never be truly in good enough shape to be really happy with my body.

Point of story: Day 1 of the Velocity Diet!

Day 1 has been going pretty good. Just finished the V-burn challenge in 56m30s and I have to say, I feel great! I don’t know if that’s a good time but I’m generally bad at circuit training so I’m just happy that I finished and can still function. Now its time to go have a chocolate shake!

Stay strong. Read Dan John’s article on doing the V-Diet. He said it’s about tricking yourself. Instead of quitting and going and getting takeout that night…say, “I’ll get takeout tomorrow, but I’m going to finish tonight.”.

Then, the next day, just start with your shake and continue on. Eventually, it’ll be 28 days later and you’ll be 28 days better for it.

[quote]Tirith wrote:
it’s about tricking yourself. Instead of quitting and going and getting takeout that night…say, “I’ll get takeout tomorrow, but I’m going to finish tonight.”.

Then, the next day, just start with your shake and continue on. Eventually, it’ll be 28 days later and you’ll be 28 days better for it.[/quote]

Thank you for sharing this advice! I think you have just revolutionized the next 6 weeks for me (let’s not forget the transition period)!

LOl damn i thought i was bad at doing this diet, but u suck!!!

Ur next post isn’t guna say day 1 again is it? then complain to us how u talked urself into eating shit?

Jesus man, more than anything ur just wasting $$$!

Suck it up and stop being a little bitch getting takeaway and stuff. I did what u do a few times but i also completed the full diet twice as well, once u get past the first week its plain sailing.

Suck it up and get on with it!