Biotest

Learning from Mistakes, 2nd Attempt

As the title states, I am starting my 2nd attempt at the V-Diet. My first attempt was a failure for many reasons…

[u]My Background[/u]
My name is Jeff, I am 26 years old, and I have always been self conscious about my body and my self image.

Since I was in elementary school I was considered tall and always have carried a bit of extra weight on me. I find that the reasoning behind this was due to the fact that my parents always had a fully stocked junk drawer at home when I was growing up and I didn’t know better.

I was always embarrassed about being a bit overweight, but never did anything about it. Most people just assumed that since I was tall, it was alright to have some extra meat on my bones. I believe most people still think this of me…

Towards the middle of high school (1998-1999) I reached my current height of 6’4" while sticking to the same weight. From then to early in college (around late 2000) I had stopped growing vertically and only grew horizontally. I had gone from ~200lbs to ~240lbs. It was then when I realized that I needed to make a change.

My freshman year of college I decided to start the Atkins diet with one of my overweight roommates. I also joined the rowing/crew team, which consisted of 2 hours of hard cardio a day. The cardio combined with the diet helped me lose ~60lbs over a few months. I was back down to 180lbs when I stopped the diet. When I look back at some of my pictures, I almost look ghostly. It wasn’t where I should have been.

After college, I started to lift weights and exercise properly, but my poor eating habits overtook my body, and the weight slowly climbed back up to where I am today.

[u]1st V-Diet Experience[/u]
It is now 2008, and my weight increased again to ~240lbs. About 3 months ago I came across a forum post about the V-Diet (in another bodybuilding forum) and it immediately got my attention. I believe the simplicity of the diet and seeing results made me want to try it out.

However, when time came to start, I had tried to edit the diet on multiple levels. Instead of using Metabolic Drive, I tried to mix a few protein powders together. Instead of Surge, I just used a BCAA recovery drink. And the biggest mistake, I cheated… a lot! I took in quite a bit of food when I shouldn’t have. It wasn’t usually “junk” food, but it was still not on the diet. Also, the constant surroundings of negative influences made this attempt a failure from the start.

[u]The Change[/u]
After realizing that I had failed, I decided that I wasn’t done quite yet. I knew I could do it, I just didn’t know how. Over a few months I did a lot of research on the diet and read a lot of logs, especially on these forums. Between Chris’s articles, Gus’s transformation/log, and other user’s logs, I finally feel like I have the mind frame and knowledge to tackle this diet again.

[u]My 2nd Attempt[/u]
This thread will now be home to my current V-Diet. You can follow my progress here and hopefully offer me advise and encouragement. I actually started yesterday, so it is now day 2. I will be posting all my stats, photos, and updates within the next day or so.

good going man, you can do it

[quote]joeker wrote:
good going man, you can do it[/quote]

Thanks for the support!

Starting Stats
Height - 6’4"
Weight - 240lbs
BF % - ~25%
body measurements coming soon!

Day 1 Overview
So, as always today was a very motivating day. Any time I start a new program, I seem to start strong out of the gate, then slow down, and pick it back up for the finish. Hopefully, the HOT-ROX will keep me moving strong the entire time!

I actually didn’t receive my package from Biotest until about 11am today which sucked to start the diet before I got all the stuff, but the package was still ahead of schedule. I had extra supplements at home in case my package took longer than expected, so I was in good shape either way… at least for a week.

I also created a spreadsheet that lists my daily plan including shakes, supplements, and workouts/NEPAs. I will upload that shortly in case anyone has any comments.

I pretty much stuck to my schedule today. No cheats, no cravings, no slacking. My workout seemed pretty intense even though it didn’t seem like I was lifting that heavy. I got a decent pump and was sweating more than normal by the end. Directly following my workout, I walked for about 2 miles on the treadmill at 4% incline and 3.5MPH for my NEPA. To finish it all off, I downed my delicious Surge shake. I think I will actually be looking forward to my Surge during this entire diet. I can’t say the same about my 5 MD shakes a day.

Day 2 Overview
Another decent day today. I took some of the advise of some other post which including adding some variety to my shake. My first morning shake was the Vanilla MD with a teaspoon of instant coffee. I also added the PB to my last chocolate shake. The PB seems like a treat on this diet. I am definitely a PB junky. I always have a few jars somewhere in my house at any given time.

I finished off the day today with another 2 miles treadmill walk at the gym. I am going to start switching this up between inside the gym and outdoors. I would rather walk outside, but some of the characters at the gym make it fun to people watch.

Looking forward to Day 3 and another workout tomorrow!

good for you you learned from your mistake :slight_smile:

Keep going!!!

Jeff,
i’m excited for you. this all sounds great.
two things to check up on you about:

1. edit: never mind on this one…
  2. just making sure that this PB, of which you have jars lying around the house, is the good stuff. ingredients are just peanuts and salt, right?

sounds great man! looking forward to following you through this!
dan

Hey Jeff! Congrats on Starting the V-Diet! You CAN do it! Keep posting, since that keeps you accountable…and stay focused. It’s only 28 days. --Kristen

surfgod777,

Welcome to the V-Diet. I haven’t actually started yet, but I only have 5 days left to my official start. I like you failed my first V-Diet, but only because I became ill and didn’t have the strength to continue on.

However, I did lose 5 pounds and that was a beginning for me and I then turned to the Anabolic Diet. it was a perfect match for me and pretty much still adhere to it except I began adding the bad carbs again and it lead to my weight gain. DAMN that terrible yoyo cycle we put ourselves through. Anyway the last couple weeks I have been reading to get motivation, tips and cleaning up my current diet.

Stay strong and I’ll be here rooting for you!

fitnesslady

[quote]LiarPantsOnFire wrote:
I’m excited for you. this all sounds great.
two things to check up on you about:
2) just making sure that this PB, of which you have jars lying around the house, is the good stuff. ingredients are just peanuts and salt, right?[/quote]

Thanks for the support Dan, it means a lot to have these forums to use while on a diet like this!

As for the PB, I had always been using the Skippy Natural PB, assuming it was just the basics. However, I recently learned that if has a bunch of other ingredients added to it, which made it bad. I knew it could taste and feel that good if was really natural! Also, I never looked at the ingredients, I just assumed by claiming it was natural, it was.

The last few times I have been buying the Organic PB from Costco. The only ingredients listed on its label is peanuts and salt, so I am good to go with this one.

I guess this post goes along with the theme of the threads… another mistake I have learned from, LOL.

[quote]fitnesslady wrote:
Welcome to the V-Diet. I haven’t actually started yet, but I only have 5 days left to my official start. I, like you failed my first V-Diet, but only because I became ill and didn’t have the strength to continue on.

However, I did lose 5 pounds and that was a beginning for me and I then turned to the Anabolic Diet. it was a perfect match for me and pretty much still adhere to it except I began adding the bad carbs again and it lead to my weight gain. DAMN that terrible yoyo cycle we put ourselves through. Anyway the last couple weeks I have been reading to get motivation, tips and cleaning up my current diet.

Stay strong and I’ll be here rooting for you![/quote]

Thanks fitnesslady!

Your story sounds similar to mine, the first attempt failure, and the constant yo-yo dieting throughout my life.

I will be rooting for you as well during your upcoming diet.

[quote]Kristen518 wrote:
Hey Jeff! Congrats on Starting the V-Diet! You CAN do it! Keep posting, since that keeps you accountable…and stay focused. It’s only 28 days. --Kristen[/quote]

I think I can, I think I can… I know I can!

BTW, I borrowed your schedule idea from your threads. (-: It really help to look at it and know exactly what and when I should be taking my shakes and supplements, because sometime I lose track of time at home and work.

"We’ll be singing
When we’re winning
We’ll be singing

I get knocked down
But I get up again
You’re never going to keep me down"

Chumbawamba :slight_smile:

[quote]surfgod777 wrote:
Kristen518 wrote:
Hey Jeff! Congrats on Starting the V-Diet! You CAN do it! Keep posting, since that keeps you accountable…and stay focused. It’s only 28 days. --Kristen

I think I can, I think I can… I know I can!

BTW, I borrowed your schedule idea from your threads. (-: It really help to look at it and know exactly what and when I should be taking my shakes and supplements, because sometime I lose track of time at home and work.[/quote]

Hey Surfgod! Glad my Geek-Sheet worked for you. It’s funny. I totally obsessed about how much this, when, where, blah, blah, blah. Had about 47 copies of it hanging all around my house and posted on my desk at work, and after about 4 days, I didn’t need it anymore. It became a habit pretty quickly…mostly because I wasn’t doing anything else! But it was great for those first few days–as reassurance that I was doing it right!

Rock on!

Day 3 Overview
A little late on this update…
Today was an interesting day. I had some difficulty falling asleep last night. I am not sure what the cause might have been. I took my ZMA around 11pm, and was in bed by 11:30pm.

My last dose of HOT-ROX was around 3pm, so I don’t think it was to blame. I will see if this continues throughout the diet.

Besides this, it was a pretty normal day. I got a nice walk in followed by my workout followed by Surge. I also got a headache at night too… geez. Again, I followed the diet exact to plan and got enough water in my system.

Hang in there Surfgod–it gets so much easier! I too had a couple of weird sleep nights, but nothing that I couldn’t deal with. Keep on truckin’!

Day 4 Overview
Another interesting day today… not because of feeling shitty or not because I messed up on my diet (I am feeling and going strong on both of those fronts), but I had a couple LONG meetings today at work that made it difficult to stay on my schedule.

The first meeting/presentation was only suppose to be about 30 minutes just before lunch time, but it turned into 2.5 hours! Also, they had catered in some sandwiches for everyone. It was difficult to say no, but I did, and they didn’t pressure me into anything I didn’t want to do.

The second meeting was an unexpected phone call later in the afternoon that lasted over 3 hours! This one was more annoying than anything. I didn’t have any water near by to make my shake while I was on the phone, and worst of all, I had to go to the bathroom in a bad way.

With all this water and fiber, I have been visiting the bathrooms every hour or so. Everything is normal, but just frequent.

By the time I got off work, I was a little stressed (and a little relieved), so I went tanning. That definitely helped me relax. I followed that up with a nice little walk around the neighborhood.

4 days down…

[quote]Kristen518 wrote:
Hang in there Surfgod–it gets so much easier! I too had a couple of weird sleep nights, but nothing that I couldn’t deal with. Keep on truckin’![/quote]

Thanks Kristen! I slept great last night, so I assume that was just a weird occurrence.

BTW, I stepped on the scale this morning (was going to wait 1 week), and it read ~231.8lbs. This means I am down ~8lbs in just 4 days.

Damn Surfgod…I lost 8.5 over the entire 4 weeks of the V-Diet. Some people have all the luck! :slight_smile: LOL…you’re doing great!

Hang in there surfgod. My first day went okay, and already my stomach is flip flopping. I even did a little praying for strength while I took my walk.

Fanstastic to the 8 pounds lost. You guys can drop it so much faster then us gals. I would like to lose 15, but will be happy with 8-10.

fitnesslady

Thanks fitnesslady and Kristen for your support.

I think the more unhealthy you eat leading up to the V-Diet, the more you lose the first few days, as it is such a dramatic change. I am not expecting these number to continue the rest of the 4 weeks.

Days 5-8 Overview
4 more days down now…

This is definitely going a lot faster than I expected. I am bunching these days together for several reasons including it was long weekend and I didn’t really have long access to the computer, as I spent most of my free time relaxing.

This past Saturday, day 7, was my GF and mine’s anniversary. So, I decided to make this my solid meal day. We went out to eat at a spanish tapas place. i thought this might be difficult, but I ate small portions of the following: salsa, guacamole, ceviche (like a fish salsa), carnitas, and queso fundito. It was all low carb items, which was my plan. I had hoped to eat more, but after 10 minutes or so, I felt full.

I also didn’t have access to a scale that morning, so I couldn’t do my weekly weigh-in. On day 1 I weighed 240lbs, and on day 4 I weighed ~232lbs. So, I am hoping tomorrow when I step on the scale I might be below 230! Keep your fingers crossed…