Biotest

Kris's Training Log

Actually started on Tuesday, so this is Day 6.

Have an appointment with the head trainer at a college I coach at to measure BF and take accurate measurements tomorrow. A little late to be considered “before” the diet, but my goals aren’t weight loss as much as fat loss and building lean muscle mass so I wanted them to be very accurate. Mainly I’m on the diet at a test of will power - if you can be disciplined to do this diet for 6 weeks including transition without any cheating, you should be able to reach about any goal.

Height: 5’11
Starting weight: 162
Don’t care if I gain as I actually would like to hit and maintain 170, but want to drop BF down below 10% for first time. Hoping to not drop below 150, but no big deal as I’m a fast gainer. I actually was 188 in May and dropped down to 162 via exercise, better eating, and adderall.

Background:
I was a college pole vaulter and competed afterwards (semi-seriously) for about 6 years - not a superstar as my personal best was only 15’3, but several top coaches throughout the world told me I had 17’-18’ potential. Spent most of college hampered by injuries. Afterwards, career made it difficult to train seriously, but mainly haven’t been coached or stuck to training consistently long enough to make a difference. I turned coach in '99 and am considered one of the best junior coaches in the nation, which has become my career. So after not having trained even semi-seriously for 6 years, I want to make a comeback at age 33 to see if I can jump to my potential and have a successful sub-masters and masters track career. I began some powerlifting workouts a few months ago based on Pavel Tsatsouline’s Power to the People program and made a lot of progress. Really enjoyed it too, so considering playing with powerlifting to aid my training and competing in a year just for fun.

Want the V-Diet to help build self-discipline and confidence so I can train hard and consistently from here on out as well as eat right and keep bodyfat low.

Any other track athletes on here?

By the way, had my HSM for dinner on Day 4. Was great! However, Day 5 SUCKED! Starving and craving food all day and night. Much better this morning though.

Side profile “before” pic

Back “before”

Hey Kris,

I am not a track athlete but I did pole vault from 7th grade through my Jr. year in high school. I had to quit track when I had to choose between knee surgery and sports. I loved every minute of it and I miss the days that I was in great shape.

I am only 5’4" and my coaches were not as good of a coach as I bet you are but I was able to jump about 9’ which I was pretty proud of. I am starting the diet tomorrow and am ready to have the body I did back then. I can’t wait to hear your progress and I wish you the best of luck!

[quote]lk906 wrote:
Hey Kris,

I am not a track athlete but I did pole vault from 7th grade through my Jr. year in high school. I had to quit track when I had to choose between knee surgery and sports. I loved every minute of it and I miss the days that I was in great shape.

I am only 5’4" and my coaches were not as good of a coach as I bet you are but I was able to jump about 9’ which I was pretty proud of. I am starting the diet tomorrow and am ready to have the body I did back then. I can’t wait to hear your progress and I wish you the best of luck! [/quote]

Thanks LK. What part of Texas you from? I know coaches from all over. 9’ is not a bad jump without high level coaching. If I had coached you it might have been 11! Good luck on the diet and I’ll follow your progress too.

I am from College Station. Our coaches changed from year to year and they finally stuck with one after I left. I start tomorrow and already have all my stuff packed and ready to go for tomorrow while I’m at school! I can’t wait! How are things going for you so far?

[quote]lk906 wrote:
I am from College Station. Our coaches changed from year to year and they finally stuck with one after I left. I start tomorrow and already have all my stuff packed and ready to go for tomorrow while I’m at school! I can’t wait! How are things going for you so far? [/quote]

If you went to Consolidated, you’d have to know the McFarlings. 3 of them jumped for Consolidated and their dad has a pit in his backyard and coaches and jumps. I’ve jumped in their backyard and brought my vaulters there a few times. One of my former athletes is currently a sophomore vaulter for A&M.

Today was a good day. Did my 3rd weight workout. 40 pullups was hard as hell! I should be good at those being a vaulter, but I’ve never done that many in a workout. Lots of sets of 3. Still, I didn’t cheat on them by going halfway down or swinging and kicking. After yesterday’s cravings and starvation though, today was a walk in the park - not really super hungry at any point and energy levels are good. Weight hasn’t changed much but that’s a good thing for me as I’m more focused on BF %.

I do know the McFarlings…Brandon is older than me so we never really got to know each other but I got to know Brittany pretty well. I actually moved into the condo that Brittany was living in the year she moved out of it…I also had spend some time with Mr. McFarling but never really got to know him because he focused on the guys team. I have been to their house and seen the pit twice. What a small world. I started my diet today and the HOT-ROX has rocked my world. I have never taken something like this so it was a rude awakening. Things are good so far. I mixed banana and vanilla and I really enjoyed it!

[quote]lk906 wrote:
I do know the McFarlings…Brandon is older than me so we never really got to know each other but I got to know Brittany pretty well. I actually moved into the condo that Brittany was living in the year she moved out of it…I also had spend some time with Mr. McFarling but never really got to know him because he focused on the guys team. I have been to their house and seen the pit twice. What a small world. I started my diet today and the HOT-ROX has rocked my world. I have never taken something like this so it was a rude awakening. Things are good so far. I mixed banana and vanilla and I really enjoyed it! [/quote]

That’s awesome! The vault community IS a small world, but very supportive of each other. I coached Brittany and her twin sister at a camp when they were just starting pole vaulting back in like 2000, then later met her dad and brother at a meet in Maryland and have known them ever since.

I’m not using HOT-ROX b/c I take Adderall for Adult-ADD and it’s already contributed to my 25+lbs weight loss since May. I’m sure it’s good stuff though if you don’t mind being a little wired. I’ve been mixing everything so far and haven’t had a bad combo - I have vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, and banana. I can’t stand the Surge Raspberry - it’s like creamy Big Red soda with sugar and cream added, but I choke it down. I didn’t get the original flavor, but should have and followed your mixing advice.

Day 7 complete. Feeling great - VBurn Challenge was tough! 20:25 straight w/o a break. Had to be a sissy and do modified pushups on the clap pushups. Not hungry like I was on Day 5 though - shakes are more satisfying, Surge still sucks.

I think I have Surge figured out. OF COURSE you’ll develop a taste for vegetables and other healthy foods at the end of the diet because anything solid and bland will taste great after choking down liquid cotton candy fortified with Big Red soda!

Measurements coming tomorrow. Still hovering around 160 but don’t have much weight to lose - a little fat to burn and lots of lean muscle to build.

Nice to have a “day off” after V-Burn Challenge Day. Hamstrings are on fire! Don’t know what from - maybe deadlifts 2 days ago b/c nothing in V-Burn is hamstring targeted - reverse lunges w/twist maybe, but lunges are more quad and glute oriented. Squat jumps too.

Hunger was ok today till evening, then starving the 2 hours leading up to my dinner shake. Every restaurant I passed while driving was giving me mad cravings - pizza, mexican food, seafood, hell even gas station food like hot dogs and nachos was sounding pretty good!

1st week went by fast but the thought of 3 more seems ominous!

Pole vaulted for the first time today in awhile in place of NEPA. It’s honestly not that strenous…sprint for 3 seconds, essentially perform a pullover then clean and jerk in the air, land, repeat again in about 3 minutes a dozen times. Felt great!

Weights were much better today too. Guessed way too light last week on front squats (105) and db bench (30’s). Bumped up to 135 on FS and 50’s on DB bench. Will bump the squats up again next week but the db’s should be good for another week. No ab-roller at this gym so did full-contact twists instead - obliques need more work than rectus abdominus anyway.

Weird schedule today so had a big time-lapse from lunch to dinner w/o snack, and was due for Surge. Ended up combining Surge, snack, and dinner into one shake - not ideal, but it wasn’t bad - cut the taste of the Sure at least.

Still want real solid food but coping pretty well.

Day 11 DONE! Was looking forward to today as I thought it would be low-key for work and I’d get my HSM as a treat. Turned out to be a shitty day - got a very late start in the morning on NEPA, so breakfast shake came around lunchtime, then planned to do day 6 lifting in afternoon, but work got busy so missed workout and lunch shake. Slammed dinner shake while rushing from work to meet family for dinner. HSM sucked - thought I’d go with fish since I had steak last week and the trout was just, well, fishy. Forced it down with green beans, some turnip greens, and a salad, then went and lifted.

Workout went good at a local gym instead of my own - 1 other dude in the free weight room at 8:30 on a Friday night (good to know SOMEONE else has no social life either!) and one chick on a treadmill in the cardio/abs room. Bumped my Wednesday (Day 2/Workout 6) weights up 5lbs on everything despite the 5 second less rest. Did reverse crunches on a decline slant board and felt them a lot more than on the floor. Then chugged Surge and am now finally having my bedtime shake combined with afternoon snack shake. Hopefully I’ll be back to normal schedule tomorrow.

Took an ice bath after getting home from the gym to help with inflammation and soreness in lower back - guessing that’s from front squats although didn’t notice back strain or pain while doing them. Feel rejuvenated after ice bath although it sucked getting in. NEPA tomorrow and then dreading the 40 pullup day on Sunday (Friday workout) - took me 13 sets last time!

Day 13 done. Damn that Friday weight workout is a killer! I’m 2 days off since I started on a Tuesday so I do the Friday weights on Sunday. Tried deadlifting 255 for 40 reps and after about 4 sets, said hell no, dropped to 245, then 235, then 225 to finish up. Posterior chain very sore, but not painful. Then tried 50lb db’s for the 40 reps of decline db benches - made it through the first 30 reps, but the right rotator cuff inflammation was too much, so dropped down to 40’s to finish up. Then came the beast…40 pullups! How Chad W. thinks 40 pullups is worthy of an “Intermediate” workout is beyond me, but 13 sets later (many sets of 3) I got them in. Pretty crappy pullups by traps are letting me know it worked. Then the walkouts - I get more burn in my triceps than anywhere else although I’m feeling my abs a slight bit now.

Weird shake day. Had breakfast around 10, lunch around 1, snack around 4, so good, but then didn’t get dinner b/c of work so I worked out at 7:30, followed by Surge around 8:30, and now I’m having to combine dinner and bedtime shake as one bigass 32oz bedtime shake at 11pm. Hopefully will get back on track tomorrow with diet. Need to drink more water as I think I’ve had some kidney-related lower back achiness.

Hey Bro…Before I went back to olympic taekwondo, I was all conference in the 400 hurdles for Boise State. I thought about doing the multis,but I couldnt pole vault at all. Good luck to you,I just started mine!!

Sweet - great to see another track and field athlete on here. I’m friendly with the head/pole vault coach up at Idaho State. Good luck on the diet!

Took 2 minutes off my VBurn Challenge time! Last week 20:25, tonight 18:24.

Still screwed up on the eating schedule because of last-minute contingencies but feeling good and looking better.

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.