Biotest

Kinsen's V-Diet Journey

Hey all!

Well, I’ve just come back from a business trip in China and have spent the past two weeks doing a ton of reading on the V-Diet. Originally, I was looking at some Kettle Bell Workouts from Mike Mahler, saw an articial from Dan John and then read his V-Diet log…and then I started reading Chris’ V-Diet plan. And then a bunch of other forum posts and more forum posts. And now here I am about to kick off on the V-Diet journey.

I’m 33 years old, I work in IT and am decently active physically having completed two marathons in 2006 and 2007, have lifted for years but on and off and added kettlebells only the past two years and olympic style lifts the past 6 months or so. I also compete in a sport called dragon boat in the spring and started playing some recreational flag football within my church.

However, I’m ~202 lbs on a 5’7" body. No one except my scale and my mirror believes I’m 200+ lbs since I look “built” and not fat. Still, I’m tired of hearing things like wow… you kind of fast for a…uhm… big guy. Tired of farmer tans because I’m afraid of taking off my shirt. And I’m tired working out but not seeing results and then having it tail off and then picking it up again. And yea, with all the activity listed above… my eating habits suck.

I’ve read enough so I’m not going to make any changes to the V-Diet besides subbing in Carbolin 19/Se7en in place of HOT-ROX. Fortunately, I’m blessed for not having any major injuries and will not be making any changes to the intermediate workout program.

My only question is when are most people doing their workouts not NEPA(morning or evening). I usually prefer working out in the morning but have some concerns about my energy level. And if I have a shake for the start of the day prior to my workout, how much time should I have it before I start lifiting?

I woke up early after dreaming about the velocity diet.

Here are my measurements. Pics to follow. I tried to take some solo yesterday but didn’t have a mirror low enough to capture my legs and wasn’t happy with them.

Height 5’7"
Weight -204
Neck 16"
Shoulders 48"
Chest at Nipple - 43"
Waist - at Navel 41"
Waist - at largest 41.5"
Hips - at largest 41"
Upper Arm - L 14"
Upper Arm - R 14.5"
Upper Leg - L 22.5"
Upper Leg - R 22.25"
Lower Leg - L17.5"
Lower Leg - R 17.25"
Ankle - L 9.5"
Ankle - R 9.5"

Glad to have you on board!

[quote]ksiu1 wrote:

My only question is when are most people doing their workouts not NEPA(morning or evening). I usually prefer working out in the morning but have some concerns about my energy level. And if I have a shake for the start of the day prior to my workout, how much time should I have it before I start lifiting?
[/quote]

Morning lifting is fine, but don’t do it in a fasted state. Have a shake upon waking, then lift an hour or so later. If that’s too late, at least get in a half a shake. Weight training in a fasted state isn’t “worthless” but it’s not optimal either.

Hey ksiu! Welcome to the V-Diet. Looks like you’ve got some good reasons to do the vdiet. And I’m guessing because you said ‘dream’ (rather than another description) about the V-Diet, this is a good sign! You’ll do well! Particularly having done the legwork before starting (i.e. the readings and following the blogs).

Curious, how’s your schedule look in terms of getting your shakes in and not being sidetracked by social activities (i.e. two ways to deal - go to social activities anyway and test that will power, or nose down to just doing what you gotta do au solitaire and skipping out on the meal gatherings). What’s your take? Reason why I ask is NOT because I think this will be a problem for you but because this was the biggest struggle for ME before I had to pause my ‘warm up’ as you so well put it ;), so I’m thinking about how my return will address this.

Thanks for stopping by my thread. I look forward to following your post. Think you’ll post any pics?

If Chris okays me jumping back on, we’ll be starting on quite similar days…

Here’s to kicking some V-Diet a**!

L

[quote]tiger_ppr wrote:
Hey ksiu! Welcome to the V-Diet. Looks like you’ve got some good reasons to do the vdiet. And I’m guessing because you said ‘dream’ (rather than another description) about the V-Diet, this is a good sign! You’ll do well! Particularly having done the legwork before starting (i.e. the readings and following the blogs).

Curious, how’s your schedule look in terms of getting your shakes in and not being sidetracked by social activities (i.e. two ways to deal - go to social activities anyway and test that will power, or nose down to just doing what you gotta do au solitaire and skipping out on the meal gatherings). What’s your take? Reason why I ask is NOT because I think this will be a problem for you but because this was the biggest struggle for ME before I had to pause my ‘warm up’ as you so well put it ;), so I’m thinking about how my return will address this.

Thanks for stopping by my thread. I look forward to following your post. Think you’ll post any pics?

If Chris okays me jumping back on, we’ll be starting on quite similar days…

Here’s to kicking some V-Diet a**!

L[/quote]

Hey TigerPPR! Great question about the social gatherings because I’m very social! I managed to pass my first test in terms of social gatherings today when my friend bailed on meeting me for dinner. hahahahah. Normally I’d be pissed but it worked out since I got my first workout in and just had my Surge shake. As for future gatherings, my strategy looks something like:

a) i’ll still go out but tell my friends to not wait up for me since I won’t be eating anyway and intentionally come in late. (I’m usually very prompt)

b) spend that time getting a shake in so i’ll be less tempted.

c) advertise to my friends that I’m on this diet and use the prospect of shame to motivate me not to eat in front of them

d) immediately walk outside if I feel tempted.

i have to admit though…in some cases it will be easier to just be alone at home. get into that groove… or grind of scheduled shakes. but hey… its just 4 week. i can schedule hsm’s with them later. =)

Will definitely post some pics. Waiting for a friend to get back from the gym so she can help me take pics. Taking pics on my own to include my whole body was surprisingly difficult.

Hopefully you can start at the same time too… we’ll spur each other on!

First day went by well. Started to tell people about it and experienced different reactions though most were variations of negative and WTF. hahahah So did 30 min of Nepa when I went looking for flaxseeds and fiber choice tablets and managed to find them at walgreens. They had a buy one milled flaxseed, get another one free. Sweet!

Later on in the day, took a subway to get the ab roller and walked back down to work. 45 min. Started to rain but missed most of hard rain.

Workout was pretty good… front squats are really beating up on my quads and that ab roller is something else. Was super tired by 9 though. Could be jetlag and the shakes, ended up taking a nap by accident, woke up at 10:45 and then went back to bed. Ended up missing out on the peanut butter since i was going spoon that out and eat it. Whoops.

Day 2 has gone by fairly smoothly. 30 of Nepa taken care of when I scheduled a meet with my mentee to give me time to walk around enough before meeting up with him. Threw in the peanut butter into the shake this time to make sure I get it in.

26 more days!

Weight -204 v 197.2
Neck 16"/16"
Shoulders 48"
Chest at Nipple - 43"/41.5
Waist - at Navel 41"/40"
Waist - at largest 41.5"/40.5
Hips - at largest 41"
Upper Arm - L 14"/14
Upper Arm - R 14.5"/14
Upper Leg - L 22.5"/21.5
Upper Leg - R 22.25"/21"