Biotest

(Kinda ASAP) Newbie Questions Before Starting

I’m 19 and weigh 135 lbs and the last time I checked my BF it was about 15%. I have a lot of fat around the gut and chest (trying to get rid of these moobs that I’ve had all my life).

I have a lot of fat accumulation in the thighs and yes…my feet even have saddlebags on the edges (gross!). This sounds like I’m some human blob of fat but I have a pretty slender figure that just has too much fat attached in those reasons ( I have a pretty decent V taper). I’m going to start the V-Diet but I have some questions before I begin.

My calorie numbers are 1128/1354 but I’m a bit concerned about how low these are. This means that I’ll be having 6 scoops a day of M-Drive.

My testosterone levels are low - I don’t have a beard nor chest hair at this age and my voice hasn’t really deepened. I think some of the breast tissue development is related to this deficiency. Is it advisable for me to take TRIBEX with Rez-V to increase my testosterone levels?

Also, I know that Chris advised against starting creatine if you haven’t been on it because of water retention but I think that I need all the help that I can get since I don’t have a lot of muscle under this thick layer of fat. I could care less about numbers…I care more about how I look and feel afterwards. I’m going to take BCAA regardless. Good call/bad call?

I know that someone is going to question why I’m going to start the V-Diet instead of a clean bulk program. I’m not going to lie, I’m fat and I absolutely hate it. It’s like a cage that I can’t escape. Granted, I haven’t dieted or lifted before (I did drop from 150 to 135 by eating healthier at college and running on the treadmill) but I want to get rid of this cage ASAP.

Not to get mushy or anything but honestly, I feel that people don’t take me as seriously because I’m fat and can’t defend myself. I want to put an end to this before I head back to college.

Thanks everyone and sorry to get all emotional…I promise it won’t happen again.

-Gino

P.S. How long does shipping take? I live in Northern Ohio.

135lbs? Find another diet.

Unless you’re 4’5", the V-Diet is not for you.

Seriously, just start eating better. If you’re really 15% body fat, you can easily lose the body fat in the amount of time given.

Hell, at 135 pounds you should be bulking.

How tall are you?

[quote]Gino44 wrote:

My testosterone levels are low - I don’t have a beard nor chest hair at this age and my voice hasn’t really deepened. I think some of the breast tissue development is related to this deficiency. Is it advisable for me to take TRIBEX with Rez-V to increase my testosterone levels?
[/quote]

Have you seen a doc about this? I’d do this before you start any diet or training plan. You need to rule out anything really serious, plus those supps aren’t going to do anything if you’re really screwed up.

If you’re OK I’d just start lifting heavy - i.e. do Starting Strength. Lifting heavy should jumpstart your hormones and at your age will shred that fat. Even if your diet isn’t spot on. Plus it’ll take care of those confidence issues.

I’m 5’6".

I’m with Horatio on this. Seriously. Unless your parents are seriously short, you’re demonstrating stunted growth; female fat patterns; reduced muscle mass and failure to develop sexually at the age of 19. Do yourself a favor and run, don’t walk, to your doctor. Definitely don’t take any supplements: last thing you want to do is either 1) throw off test results or 2) make any underlying condition worse.

Stormy

Yes, get thee to the doctor. No V-Diet for you.

You need “squats and milk” rather than ANY diet. There is a good chance that routine will help up your test levels.

www.leehayward.com/squats.htm

If you think that even your feet are fat… it sounds as though you suffer from body dismorphia. Psychological counseling may be in order.

There�??s nothing wrong with having BDD (Body Dysmorphic Disorder). Here�??s some information on it (from Mayoclinic, as well as a useful questionnaire psychiatrists use to diagnose it.)

DEFINITION

Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) is characterized by an excessive preoccupation with a real or imagined defect in your physical appearance.

People with body dysmorphic disorder have a distorted or exaggerated view of how they look and are obsessed with actual physical characteristics or perceived flaws, such as a certain facial feature or imperfections of the skin. They often think of themselves as ugly or disfigured. People with body dysmorphic disorder often have problems controlling negative thoughts about their appearance, even when reassured by others that they look fine and that the minor or perceived flaws aren’t noticeable or excessive.

Treatment for body dysmorphic disorder may involve a combined approach involving medication and talk therapy (psychotherapy). Antidepressant medications used along with cognitive behavior therapy can help people with body dysmorphic disorder manage the obsession and anxiety about their appearance, increase confidence in how they look, and obtain normalcy in their social and work lives.
The following questionnaire, called the BDDQ, is a useful screening questionnaire for the presence of BDD.

SYMPTOMS and SIGNS

The signs and symptoms of body dysmorphic disorder include:

* Frequently comparing appearance with that of others
* Repeatedly checking the appearance of the specific body part in mirrors or other reflective surfaces
* Refusing to have pictures taken
* Wearing excessive clothing, makeup and hats to camouflage the perceived flaw
* Using hands or posture to hide the imagined defect
* Frequently touching the perceived flaw
* Picking at one's skin
* Frequently measuring the imagined or exaggerated defect
* Elaborate grooming rituals
* Excessive researching about the perceived defective body part
* Seeking surgery or other medical treatment despite contrary opinions or medical recommendations
* Seeking reassurance about the perceived defect or trying to convince others that it's abnormal or excessive
* Avoiding social situations in which the perceived flaw might be noticed
* Feeling anxious and self-conscious around others (social phobia) because of the imagined defect

People with severe body dysmorphic disorder may drop out of school, quit their jobs or avoid leaving their homes. In the most severe cases, people with BDD may consider or attempt suicide.

Certain physical obsessions are common in a person with body dysmorphic disorder. These include:

* Overall size, shape or symmetry of a certain facial feature, such as size or shape of nose
* Moles or freckles perceived as too large or noticeable
* Acne and blemishes
* Minor scars or skin abrasions
* Too much facial or body hair
* Baldness
* Breast size
* Muscles perceived as too small
* Size or shape of genitalia

BDDQ

This questionnaire asks about concerns with physical appearance. Please read each question carefully and circle the answer that is true for you. Also write in answers where indicated.

NAME:______________________________ TODAY’S DATE:____________

1. Are you very worried about how you look? Yes No

If yes: Do you think about your appearance problems a lot and wish you could think about them less? Yes No If yes: Please list the body areas you don’t like:

Examples of disliked body area include: your skin (for example, acne, scars, wrinkles, paleness, redness); hair; the shape or size of your nose, mouth, jaw, lips, stomach, hips, etc.; or defects of your hands, genitals, breasts, or any other body part.

(NOTE: If you answered “No” to either of the above questions, you are finished with this questionnaire. Otherwise please continue.)

1. Is your main concern with how you look that you aren’t thin enough or that you might get too fat? Yes No

2. How has this problem with how you look affected your life?

Has it often upset you a lot? Yes No Has it often gotten in the way of doing things with friends or dating? Yes No

If yes, describe how:______________________________________________

Has it caused you any problems with school? Yes No

If yes, what are they?_____________________________________________

Are there things you avoid because of how you look? Yes No

1. How much time a day do you usually spend thinking about how you look? Please circle one.

a) Less than 1 hour a day b) 1 - 3 hours a day c) More than 3 hours a day

You’re likely to have BDD if you give the following answers on the BDDQ:

Question 1: Yes to both parts Question 3: Yes to any of the questions Question 4: Answer b or c

If according to the BDDQ you likely have BDD, you might want to think about consulting a physician or psychologist.

I’ll call tomorrow and schedule an appointment.

I looked at that dg401’s post about BBD and it’s pretty upsetting…I answered ‘yes’ to many of the questions. I consider myself to be a mentally strong and logical individual so this puts a big dent in my ego.

My mother is only 5’4" and my father is about 5’8". It makes sense that I’m in-between. My younger brother (17 yrs. old) is a bit taller than my father to gain perspective on my height. I know I’m shorter but I don’t think thats really stunted growth considering the height of my parents. Then again, I’m no expert either.

I won’t start anything before I talk to my doctor. What do you think is the best way to approach this with my doctor? I have voiced my concerns about my chest area after I dropped 20 lbs last winter when I started college (eating right and interval treadmill training daily) but she took pity on me and told me to learn to be happy with who I am.

When I got was finished with college, I dropped to 120 lbs and my chest and thigh areas did not improve. My face, arms, and stomach became lean and I am proud of that. Since I returned home (the beginning of June), I’ve gained 10lbs with very minor changes in size.

My doctor is more like a mother than a doctor and I know if I don’t approach her in the correct way, she’ll try to soothe me rather than trying to get to the root of the problem. I don’t even know how to tell my parents without making them laugh!

You could just tell her you want to know your lipid profile including your testosterone level. Tell her you are getting ready to start a new program of exercise and diet and want to know where you are before you start. It’s a fairly simple blood test and if she objects just insist.

Gino,

You need a full medical work-up to check out many things, your testosterone and thyroid levels, estrogen, blood sugar, many others. Doc needs to examine your body for gyno, testicles, other things as well.

I suspect there may be something medically off, although if your small areas of fat accumulation can be seen in your parents, its more genetic and not a disorder. Your attitude about it has gotten twisted around, blame it on our "no-fat" society if you want, but take heed of the dangers of developing BDD as noted above. As a shrink, I don't like slapping labels on people your age unless things are full-blown and there is no other explanation.

Regardless of what comes back from the tests, like everyone is eager to tell you, get in the gym, train hard, and EAT plenty of high quality foods, with no calorie counting. Just so you know, training hard and eating right was MY solution, and I WAS a fat kid (188lbs at 11 years old). It has worked...for a lifetime.            

Doc

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.