Biotest

Kim's V-Diet Log

Hi all ? well I am taking the V-Diet plunge tomorrow. I?ve been lurking and reading posts for a while, so am hoping I learned a few lessons from all of you.

I?ve been working out consistently for years…love it. It?s the food thing (ie?eating, binging) that I can not seem to ever control. I do really well during the week, but when it comes to the weekend?well, I just eat and eat. Of course, I justify it as my ?cheat meal?, which subsequently turns into a cheat weekend, every weekend. So, this is a ?stop the madness? and get you freakin? eating under control.

Although the workout portion may be challenging (I?ll be doing the advanced workout); I think sticking to the diet will be more difficult. A few obstacles I?ll need to cross: I travel 70% of the time for work; I am out for lunch with people about 3 times per week and dinner 1-2x weekly and am in hotels when I am on the road.

I head to Arizona today and chose a hotel/suite accommodations. My room has a full kitchen, which means I can freeze my shakes and take them with me for the day. The mini-blender fits easily into my suitcase. Also, I portioned out (in the snack ziplock bags) my entire week of meals; labeling the day and shake?eg. Monday #1, Thursday#2, etc. I left out the Superfood. So many of you have said the Superfood does not taste well. I?ll add the Superfood in on the fly or will chug, drink, lick from a spoon separately. I?ll have to see how it tastes.

Hotel gyms suck. I?ll go a Lifetime Fitness, which is a mile from the hotel. They are open 24 hours, so I?ll be able to work out at 430 in the morning. My concern is that I don?t know that gym well?so the routine and transitioning from one exercise to the next may be an issue on Monday.

I?ll post pictures (urgh?I am TOTALLY dreading these) and measurements tomorrow.

Cheers ? Kim

I know this may sound strange, but I am just replying to myself. The time stamp on my original post states 1:15am, but I sent the post at 9:15pm (Mountain Time). The thread did not show up in the V-Diet Forum anywhere (only showed on the “recent posts”. I am hoping I this post will bump it into the forum. Strange technical difficulty, but hope it works. ~kd

Hey Kim,

Just wanted to let you know your blog is showing up in the forum. Your first small victory on the V-Diet!

The weekend “carb up” meal that turns into a 2.5 day binge is very common. It was something I did myself until the V-Diet forcibly cured me.

So, good to have you here. You sound very dedicated. Keep us posted!

Starting measurements:
Weight (lbs) 138.2
Neck 13.5
Shoulders 18.5
Chest: across nipple line 37.5
Chest: ribcage 32
Waist - smallest 29
Waist - fullest 34.5
Hips 38
Upper Arm Left 12.25
Upper Arm Right 12.12
Upper Leg Left 22.25
Upper Leg Right 22.25
Lower Leg Left 14
Lower Leg Right 14.12
Ankle Left 8.75
Ankle Right 8.75

Urgh! I hate looking at these pictures (that is the point though, right?). I can not believe that I’ve gained over 10 pounds in the past 16 months. I can’t believe that just a year and a half ago I competed in an Olympic Lifting competition in the 57kg class. I was 126 pounds at the time. Well, the pics and the scale slapped me right in the face?because I can try not to believe it, but I am now out of shape. My vision of myself was the fit and trim gal lifting, running and eating really well. Not the true self in the pictures

What happened? As I sat on the plane today, all I could do is just think and get more pissed off and angry at myself. Initially, I started to justify my weight gain - new position at work a little over a year ago, work territory doubled in size last August…so I am traveling 70% of the time, husband had two pulmonary embolisms and a DVT last July and almost died, then in October as we were walking to the grocery store he was hit by car and well, almost died again. It was freaking horrible. My hubby flew over the car; the guy did not even look or see us in the crosswalk. He just flew through the light.

I was diligent through all the change and stress and ensured that I got my workouts in. It was a great release. However, I “rewarded” myself with food. Poor me (smell the sarcasm?)…so I worked out to feel better and I ate to feed my emotions. Crap, I ate an entire jar of coconut butter AND a jar of almond butter last week. Yup and entire jar of each…pretty much right from the spoon. I was like a crack addict with the coconut butter.

Bottom line…I control what I eat. No one force fed me. I can only look in the mirror (or at those god awful pictures) and blame myself.

Day One is almost complete. I did pretty well. Forgot to take the flameouts so doubled up when I got to Phoenix. I have one more meal to go. I WILL NOT start mainlining the peanut butter - only 2 tablespoons!

Hi Kim…thanks for posting over on my log. I need all the support I can get, and you seem an awful lot like me in the cheat weekend…I do extremely well during the week, even at night. I stopped going to the gym, and was still maintaining my weight loss. But, sure enough, enough life changes screwed up a lot of my routine, and before I knew it, I had gained 20 lbs in 6 months!!!

Thanks for posting your pictures, too. I love to watch other people’s visual progress–I’m a sucker for before ‘n’ afters!

So, I’ll be watching, and drafting off your success, too!

Kim,

Glad to see you are overcoming adversity to reach your goals. Don’t be too hard on yourself, your story of weekend binging and working out consisently only to ruin it all with feel-good eating sounds just like me (and about 20 other people I know!). The important thing is you’re back on track with the rest of us!!

Good luck and stay strong :slight_smile:

I’m on day 5 and still hold’in on…

Day 2 - workout (all weight in pounds).

Bent-over BB Row (underhand grip)
80/5, 90/5, 100/3, 100/4, 100/3

Overhead Squat
45/5, 50/5, 55/4, 55/3, 55/3

Dips

Ab Wheel The gym did not have Ab Wheel, so I improvised on the fly and went with a reverse decline sit-up with overhead 20# dumbbell.

Total time 22:05

Nepa - walked 30 minutes on stepmill at low level.

I feel like I am pee-ing ALOT! Anyone else? or is just possibly that I am now drinking more water. Also, I can not remember whose thread I saw this in, but someone talked about making the Superfood into a paste and then eating it. Yes, it does taste like a fruit roll-up…THANK YOU to whomever discovered that one!

[quote]kimdowse wrote:
Ab Wheel The gym did not have Ab Wheel, so I improvised on the fly and went with a reverse decline sit-up with overhead 20# dumbbell.
[/quote]

Does it have a barbell with fixed weights attached? That’s what I use as an ab wheel replacement.

[quote]kimdowse wrote:
I feel like I am pee-ing ALOT! Anyone else? or is just possibly that I am now drinking more water.[/quote]

Probably the water adding to it.

Day 3 is pretty much done…I am finishing my last shake as I type this. Nepa early this morning - walk on treadmill and some easy rowing. I’d love to go outside to walk, but too early in the morning and I don’t know the area around the hotel all that well. I knew that I would not get done with work until late (830pm) so had to workout this morning.

I woke up lat night around 1am - STARVING. At least being in the hotel, the only thing I have here are shakes and peanut butter. I opted for a cough drop that I had in my purse. Oddly enough it put my stomach as ease and I was able to get back to sleep. Maybe I should have just eaten a fiber tablet. Oh well, I don’t think one cough drop is going to make me fall off the wagon.

Hey I think I saw you at the gym this morning. Kidding, I work out in the backyard. However as a Phoenix native I extend welcomes to you. You’ve got the right motivation keep it up.

[quote]kimdowse wrote:
I feel like I am pee-ing ALOT! Anyone else? or is just possibly that I am now drinking more water. Also, I can not remember whose thread I saw this in, but someone talked about making the Superfood into a paste and then eating it. Yes, it does taste like a fruit roll-up…THANK YOU to whomever discovered that one![/quote]

I made that up and someone stole it from me - thief. People were apalled when I first suggested it. But, being a sweet-toothed chick, I knew there would be other sweet-toothed chicks just like me who actually enjoyed it.

I counted how many times I pee’d last Friday…and posted incremental updates in my thread throughout the day…I totaled 16, lol. That’s about once for every waking hour. I even had to get off the elliptical after my WO in the middle of my NEPA to relieve myself, lol.

Hey Kim! Kudos to you for keeping up with the V-Diet while traveling. I’ve got a 2 day trip coming up too, and I purposely chose a hotel with a gym. Don’t know what kind of set up they’ll have, but at the very least, I’ll be able to get something done.

Ooooh…a cough drop! Damn, that’s totally falling off the wagon! (JK…LOL!)

Yep, I’m pretty sick of peeing right now, way more often than usual. It’s particulary annoying after a work out day consisting of squats or deadlifts!!

Protein has a diuretic effect (which is part of why we lose the “water weight” in the first few days). Ontop of that is all the extra water we’re taking in (protein makes me sooo thirsty and when I’m thirsty, I have a dry mouth).

My husband and I were both been waking up hungry in the middle of the night, but nights 5 and 6 weren’t as bad, so hopefully that will go away.

Urgh…I messed up the routine a bit today. I was too tired this morning since I worked late last night and decided to sleep instead of working out. When I am tired during the day, I tend to eat mindlessly. Did not want to take the chance. So, I figured I would just do my workout after work. Bad plan…got stuck at work, then got stuck in traffic.

Did 45 minutes of walking this evening…97 degrees here tonight, yuck it’s hot. The revised plan is workout #2 tomorrow; #3 on Saturday, then V-Burn will now have to be Sunday.

I’ve been putting capella drops in my shakes, had chocolate butter crunch tonight. yummy:)

[quote]Polsen714 wrote:

I counted how many times I pee’d last Friday…and posted incremental updates in my thread throughout the day…I totaled 16, lol. That’s about once for every waking hour. I even had to get off the elliptical after my WO in the middle of my NEPA to relieve myself, lol.

[/quote]

[quote]AmyGottsch wrote:
Yep, I’m pretty sick of peeing right now, way more often than usual. It’s particulary annoying after a work out day consisting of squats or deadlifts!!

Protein has a diuretic effect (which is part of why we lose the “water weight” in the first few days). Ontop of that is all the extra water we’re taking in (protein makes me sooo thirsty and when I’m thirsty, I have a dry mouth).
[/quote]

So, at least I know the peeing part is “normal”. I had to get off the highway tonight (in rush hour) because I did not think I could hold it in until I reached the hotel…LOL. I should carry a pee bottle with me. Wonder if that would get through airport security…JK.

[quote]kimdowse wrote:

Wonder if that would get through airport security…JK.
[/quote]

People don’t think of this…but you CAN take empty bottles through airport security - and fill them up at the water fountain.

1. I’m cheap
  2. I have no qualms about drinking non bottled water…or a fear of germs…and I haven’t been sick in years

Welcome aboard Kim. I’m sure you will lose that 10 lbs, and then some, over the next 28 days. Stay motivated and don’t let your obstacles get you down (it looks like you are already well on your way to overcoming that though). I travel a lot for work too, and I know how hard it is to stay fit doing that (I didn’t do a good job of it, but am going to make sure that changes!).

To Kristen: Most hotels that claim to have “gyms” will just have one big machine with different exercises on it. Truthfully, they are garbage, and not worth the extra price of the hotel. Spend that extra money on a real gym that is close by. Any gym worth a damn will have some sort of business traveler plan where you can pay by the day or week. Definitely look into that before you go.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

To Kristen: Most hotels that claim to have “gyms” will just have one big machine with different exercises on it. Truthfully, they are garbage, and not worth the extra price of the hotel. Spend that extra money on a real gym that is close by. Any gym worth a damn will have some sort of business traveler plan where you can pay by the day or week. Definitely look into that before you go.

[/quote]

Sorry to hijack your thread Kim…but thanks VTBalla…I had a friend go check out the gym and he said that it’s small but has quite a bit of equipment. And I also realized that I could just do my NEPA that night, and my regular W/O the next night when I get home. I’m also a member of a national gym chain that gives travel passess…if I get hung up, I can also go that route.

Kim–you’re doing great–hang in there!

[quote]Kristen518 wrote:
VTBalla34 wrote:

Sorry to hijack your thread Kim…but thanks VTBalla…I had a friend go check out the gym and he said that it’s small but has quite a bit of equipment. And I also realized that I could just do my NEPA that night, and my regular W/O the next night when I get home. I’m also a member of a national gym chain that gives travel passess…if I get hung up, I can also go that route.

Kim–you’re doing great–hang in there![/quote]

No hijack at all! I second what VTBalla said…hotel gyms are garbage. I travel to Dallas, Phoenix and Tucson once a month. I stay in the same hotels in each city because they are close to a gym. Most hotel gyms suck…a treadmill or two, recumbent and dumbbells (if you are lucky). The only thing I use the hotel gyms is the free water cooler. I refill my water bottles daily.