Biotest

Kicking Ass and Drinking Shakes

“If you don’t like how things are, change it. You are not a tree.” -Jim Rohn

That about sums it up. More info to come.

Weight: 136.4lbs
BF%: To be measured Monday (Day 3)

Shoulders: 41.25"
Chest: 33.5"
Waist (navel): 28.5"
Hips: 31.5"
Glutes: 38"
Thigh Left: 22.5"
Thigh Right: 22"
Calf Left: 13"
Calf Right: 13"
Bicep Left: 12"
Bicep Right: 12"

I knew it was a gamble ordering so close to my hopeful start date (Feb 1 - it just seems to work as Feb has 28 days - keeps everything nice and neat) But I went ahead anyways and set my sights on starting today. That kind of backfired, but only because I wasn’t home when FedEx tried to deliver my boxes yesterday. Being stubborn, I decided to use Vega protein for my first two shakes today until I was able to go pick up my Biotest goodies.

Typical Friday today, consisting of my functional workout at 7a (breakfast shake at 6) and clients until my yoga class at 10:30 (second shake at 10). Then a short break before my circuit class at 12 (I don’t participate in this one, just coach), supplement pick up, client meeting at 1:30, then to my other-other gym (I call it the Playground) for some admin work at 3. This is when I was finally able to get started on the Metabolic Drive shakes. Have to say, I was pleasantly surprised at how yummy the chocolate was. I seem to remember them being a little, uh, harder to get down a few years back.

Right now, I’m three shakes in, kinda hungry, but so it goes. 'Tis a diet afterall, and I’m so used to perpetually snacking and mindless munching. This diet is really more about shedding bad habits than any extreme amount of weight.

I know it’s a long road ahead, but I’m looking forward to it. Just like a tough workout, I might not love the tough drills but that legs-screaming, body-shaking, heart-pounding, endorphin-surging rush that comes from getting through them is what always keeps me coming back for more. Bring it!

For what it’s worth - here’s my stack(s). I went ahead and ordered a bigger package for the V-Diet and an extra tub of Surge and Superfood to make sure I was good to go right through the transition phase. Trying to minimize any potential setbacks.

Day 1 notes:

Got super sleepy real fast, which wouldn’t have been an issue if I didn’t have one more shake to finish. I don’t want to skip shakes, so I stayed up later than I wanted to so I could get the last one in. Thank the pretty things for almond butter - blended great into the chocolate shake and was a treat to lick off the spoon!

I felt really restless last night, which I’m attributing to the much earlier than normal bedtime (I’m a terrible sleeper), busy brain, and feeling much warmer than normal (maybe from all the extra protein?).

Day 2:

Woke up feeling good, if a little sore from my workouts. I was also really hungry which made me a bit nervous. Did my meditation (which I’m still terrible at, but working on), had my coffee and shake and felt much better. Decided to behave and not squeeze in an extra conditioning workout and went for a nice 45min incline walk instead (inside - it’s F’in cold here). The NEPA felt great - I love walking to clear my head and just chill out.

I did my first V-Burn Challenge today. Since I teach a Saturday morning fitness class, I decided we’re all going to do the challenge together - at least for the first 4 weeks. So I did one cycle earlier this morning to make sure the timing would work out, then one with them to take them through it. After that, I started the timer and went through 5 rounds, and added a 6th at the end so the slower girls wouldn’t feel too bad. Got through the last 6 rounds in 26:11 which isn’t great, but considering I was teaching and doing, I’m pretty happy with the time and the setup. I feel pretty lucky to be able to incorporate this into my job since it means I’m not doing an extra fitness class with them, too, and now they’re part of it!

The rest of my day went great, being busy definitely helped! The shakes kept me going, and I’m really surprised how good they taste. Even the strawberry! I am noticing, though, that I need to time things a little better since the last two days I’ve ended up with my last two shakes pretty close together. I guess that’ll work itself out soon.

Love how you had your fitness class do the v-burn with you! Keep it up!

Day 3:

Had another rough night of sleep - I don’t think it’s entirely diet related but I was just restless. Which meant I was feeling a little extra tired and drained today.

My NEPA today was 2-2h power yoga classes (which is just a normal Sunday). They went alright, though I was definitely feeling a little more sluggish for the second one. Not sure what Chris will say about this, but I’d vote that a good yoga class once or twice a week would be a great form of NEPA if you’re up for a change from walks. Just my two cents!

The shakes were great again, starting to get into a flavor routine so I know what to expect and look forward to. It seems that taking any and all guess work out of this makes it easier to just get it done. Bonus - I think they taste entirely tolerable, though I’m not so sure about the Surge tomorrow.

Because of the job, I have double workouts MWF, so I’ll be splitting up my 2 scoops of Surge into 2 shakes (one morning and one afternoon). I’m sort of looking forward to the carb boost since I can definitely feel my head getting a little foggy, and excited to give the V-workout a go tomorrow.

Have to say, I’m glad I started this on Friday, since it feels good to have the first weekend under my belt while it all still feels new and exciting (and before an HSM which, if I’m honest, I’m a little worried about).

That’s all for now - and thanks for the support! For anyone who hasn’t read it, I really recommend checking out Shugart’s “Work Through, Not Around” article: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_blog_hammer_velocity_shugart/work_through_not_around

Day 4:

Today was my first day using Surge. Mixed the first (half) shake this morning right before starting my workout. Sipped at it a little throughout the hour and felt ok. I was a little worried I’d be nauseous or feel gross after all the horror stories, but it was fine. Yes, it’s sweet, but I mixed it with ice and admittedly not enough water. Chugged the last of it post workout and had a sort of buzzed feeling for a little while after as the sugar ‘surged’ through me.

The rest of my day went well - was going to just walk for my NEPA, but I got suckered into a spin class where I practiced taking it easy (not exactly something I’m good at, but I didn’t want to push stupid hard and regret it later). Because of how my days run, my mid-afternoon shake gets the superfood and flax during the week since I’m home to blend it up with lots of ice, so that’s what I did.

My second workout (first Monday of the intermediate V-Program) went well. I mixed my Surge before starting and added in a ton of ice to cool it down and help get rid of some of the foam. I sipped at it throughout my workout, and felt fine. I don’t think I went heavy enough for my front squats, though. I started with 95lb, but got nervous after 2 and jumped down to 85lb and finished with clean sets of 5. I think next time I just need to suck it up and be ready to work with singles.

The chin ups went well, got a couple sets of 5 before I had to drop my reps down. Full disclosure: I stand on a bench that lets me reach the bars with my feet planted so I do have a little boost, but I don’t swing or kip up. Slow lowers, too.

Bench went well, again, just not used to going that low-rep, so I was a bit hesitant to go too heavy (especially without a spotter).

Because a lot of my sets were sets of 5, I was done the workout in maybe 25min, so I finished off the rest of my time before having to go teach with a walk (and finished my Surge).

I know it’s still early in the game, but I’m really feeling great. The shakes go down easy, the plan is so simple, and I love that it’s so straightforward and strict. There’s no moderation or room for negotiation which is exactly what I need right now. My energy levels, though a bit sleepy the first couple days which I’m confidently attributing to rough nights of sleep, have been consistent. My mood has been a lot more stable - I might even hazard to say upbeat, which is a far cry from the last couple months where I’ve been nearing total breakdown more times than I’d care to share. I don’t feel bloated or uncomfortable, in fact I feel less bloated and gross than I did last week. And I think most importantly - when I feel hungry, it’s about time for a shake anyways, so I’m really starting to re-sync to regular feeding times and responding to actual hunger instead of boredom!

The first time through the workouts, I had to play around with the weights to see what was too heavy and what was manageable. I prefer starting light, myself.

It’s great that you’re responding well to the shakes, I had a hard time in the beginning. Keep up the good work!

Day 5

Today wasn’t quite as radiant as the last 4. Woke up hungry, but feeling kinda yucky. Nothing awful, but nothing fun. It was also a less busy day than usual, which didn’t help. I stuck with it, taking my shakes on time and without exception. I figure the sooner I can adjust and push through, the sooner it’ll just be ok (and over!)

I have to say - I’m so grateful for Stash Teas - their Chai Green Tea and Peppermint totally rock my socks, give me some extra flavors to enjoy, and calm my stomach when it’s acting up. Plus, they taste great with nothing added in.

Workout(s) tomorrow - they’re always my favorite part of the day, which might be why today was rough. I’m used to lifting, teaching, practicing, doing something at least once or twice a day - so taking it easy thanks to slower recovery and just feeling a little more sluggish kinda sucks. But it’s only a month, and so it goes! Plus, for all I know, once I adjust to this lower-carb business, I just might be right back up and going!

Still rocking it. Still happy I’m doing it. Still so grateful for everyone’s support and logs!

I can confidently tell you it will get better. Having been through the first week, it not so bad, you know what to expect so mentally it’s a breeze. From what I’ve read so far, for some it’s a week for other two…whatever it takes, it will be worth it I’m sure.

Battle on, I hear it’s a crazy party at the end with some exclusive type members…

Day 6

Woke up feeling so much better today! Had my first workout and shakes, and it all went well. I didn’t feel much more tired than usual which was awesome. The rest of my day went great, no hitches, glitches, or problems with the diet. Figured out I’m only using half as much flax as I could/should, but since my GI distress has been pretty minimal so far, I think I’m going to stick with what I’ve been doing and maybe leave a teensy bit more almond butter on the spoon after my nighttime shake.

I have found I react sort of funny to Surge - feeling simultaneously buzzed (mentally) and totally sleepy (physically). It only lasts 30-60min post workout then I’m fine again and everything seems to even out, so I don’t know what it is. Also finding that Surge days lead to more tummy issues, but that might just be the cycling of everything else. It’s not too bad, really, so I’m not too worried.

Did the Wednesday workout from the V-Program this afternoon - I love the format! Still working through finding my weights and going heavy enough. I seem to have this mental block about getting too far into singles, but I’m really going to push heavier next week (and Friday).

Still so surprised that I feel so… alright. Aside from the little dips in brain function and what feels like slower recovery (which is kind of expected on any diet, really), I feel great! With a big cup of either Green Chai or Peppermint tea holding me through my usual “snack on everything in sight” times of day, I’m really not struggling with cravings, either. Sure, they come up, but they also pass.

“Freedom is not the absence of commitments, but the ability to choose -and commit myself to- what is best for me.” -Paulo Coelho

Day 7 and 8:

Had another rougher day yesterday, but ended up going alright. Don’t remember the details other than I was feeling pretty tired for a lot of it.

Today (Day 8) - had a good day, but again - really tired. My first workout was a mess, I just felt drained. Going to try and get more Surge into me before starting and hopefully that’ll help.

On to the good stuff!

Weight: 130.0lbs (-6.4)

Shoulders: 39.25" (-2)
Chest: 31.5" (-2)
Waist (navel): 26" (-2.5)
Hips: 30.5" (-1)
Glutes: 36.5" (-1.5)
Thigh Left: 22" (-.5)
Thigh Right: 21" (-1)
Calf Left: 12.75" (.25)
Calf Right: 12.75" (.25)
Bicep Left: 11.5" (-.5)
Bicep Right: 11.5" (-.5)

So YAY!! Celebrating with my HSM tonight - salmon, broccoli and mushrooms sauteed in garlic, with a baked sweet potato me thinks.

For now - off to do the Friday workout. Thanks for all the support y’all!

[quote]accidentalyogi wrote:
Day 7 and 8:

Had another rougher day yesterday, but ended up going alright. Don’t remember the details other than I was feeling pretty tired for a lot of it.

Today (Day 8) - had a good day, but again - really tired. My first workout was a mess, I just felt drained. Going to try and get more Surge into me before starting and hopefully that’ll help.

On to the good stuff!

Weight: 130.0lbs (-6.4)

Shoulders: 39.25" (-2)
Chest: 31.5" (-2)
Waist (navel): 26" (-2.5)
Hips: 30.5" (-1)
Glutes: 36.5" (-1.5)
Thigh Left: 22" (-.5)
Thigh Right: 21" (-1)
Calf Left: 12.75" (.25)
Calf Right: 12.75" (.25)
Bicep Left: 11.5" (-.5)
Bicep Right: 11.5" (-.5)

So YAY!! Celebrating with my HSM tonight - salmon, broccoli and mushrooms sauteed in garlic, with a baked sweet potato me thinks.

For now - off to do the Friday workout. Thanks for all the support y’all![/quote]

Great start!!! Keep it up!!!

Thanks Barrs - I’m totally stoked by the results so far. The numbers are encouraging, which should help push through another week. Off to shop and cook!

HSM was a delicious success! Had baked salmon, baked sweet potato, and broccoli, snow peas and mushrooms sauteed in a little butter and garlic. Apple for desert. Holy - oh so good!

Taking measurements definitely perked me up yesterday, and I stuck with my workout despite feeling exhausted and the whole area being buried in snow. I’m glad I did - I think the trick to this whole thing is to just power through - no excuses, no exceptions - I know I felt better for going in.

Going to the grocery store yesterday to pick up my ingredients wasn’t as bad as I thought (grocery shopping is one of my favorite things). I realized how awful the produce selection is this time of year, anyways, so I hardly feel like I’m missing out on all the fresh fruits and veggies I love so much. Really glad I choose to do this now!

It may be a silly milestone, but I can’t wait to finish up my first set of MD tubs!

Rock on.

That looks delicious! And I know the feeling; I’m glad I’m doing this while I have school because doing this over the summer would be way more difficult with all my free time!

Day 9

Today was a bit rough - mostly a product of having too much time, I think. I spent a lot of the day negotiating with myself to stick to the diet as planned - which I did (except for splitting up my almond butter into a couple spoons to lick tonight instead of putting it all in my shake).

Been finding I’m really tired and lethargic, but once I get moving I’m usually ok. Just my brain and body figuring things out still, I suppose.

V-Burn Challenge went well today, managed to shave off a couple minutes which felt good!

Taught a fundraiser spin class, I tried to take it easy, but it’s tough when you’re pumping up a room full of people! Had a blast, but it wiped me out pretty bad. Tomorrow’s NEPA is just a couple power yoga classes - I’m excited!

I also baked some apple-cheddar muffins tonight to take to my Dad’s tomorrow. While they smell delicious and I wish I could have one, I’m just as happy to leave them and stick with the diet. I miss cooking and shopping for food almost as much, if not more, than I miss just eating.

Blah blah. Been whiny lately, I think I’m hitting that rough patch that knocks so many out of the game. Not this one, though. Sticking with it - I’m in this far and have far too many more tubs of MD to get through. The thought of them just mocking me in my kitchen is enough to keep me going. Besides, I know once I’m busy again, I’ll be fine.

Rock on!

[quote]accidentalyogi wrote:
Day 9

Today was a bit rough - mostly a product of having too much time, I think. I spent a lot of the day negotiating with myself to stick to the diet as planned - which I did (except for splitting up my almond butter into a couple spoons to lick tonight instead of putting it all in my shake).

Been finding I’m really tired and lethargic, but once I get moving I’m usually ok. Just my brain and body figuring things out still, I suppose.

V-Burn Challenge went well today, managed to shave off a couple minutes which felt good!

Taught a fundraiser spin class, I tried to take it easy, but it’s tough when you’re pumping up a room full of people! Had a blast, but it wiped me out pretty bad. Tomorrow’s NEPA is just a couple power yoga classes - I’m excited!

I also baked some apple-cheddar muffins tonight to take to my Dad’s tomorrow. While they smell delicious and I wish I could have one, I’m just as happy to leave them and stick with the diet. I miss cooking and shopping for food almost as much, if not more, than I miss just eating.

Blah blah. Been whiny lately, I think I’m hitting that rough patch that knocks so many out of the game. Not this one, though. Sticking with it - I’m in this far and have far too many more tubs of MD to get through. The thought of them just mocking me in my kitchen is enough to keep me going. Besides, I know once I’m busy again, I’ll be fine.

Rock on![/quote]

Good work! I really struggled that first 2 weeks without hot fox to be honest but a double espresso first thing in the morning really helped me through those rough patches. Once i got on the HOT-ROX i didnt have coffee again for most of the the 2 weeks.

Also chris wrote an article about chewing 2mg of nicotine to get you thru a slump in the day, some stuff worth considering as you are doing this without HOT-ROX!

Thanks for the tips! I can’t say I’m particularly keen on trying nicotine, but I’ll check it out to see what’s up. Truthfully, it’s just a handful more weeks - I’m just going to suck it up and quit being such a baby. I’m quite happy drinking my coffee, and think I’d miss that more than any bonus energy if I did have the choice to switch to HOT-ROX :slight_smile:

Day 10

Starting to think of these days as minutes in a run (since when I run it’s usually for about 30min). About minute 7 or 8 is right about where I start to negotiate with myself and the minutes on the clock. Maybe if I just walk a little, then run a little, or maybe if I sprint, then walk, or maybe… Same thing is happening with the diet. But just like my runs, I’m sticking with it. I know that in just a couple minutes (days) I’ll be passed that half-way point and well on my way to done.

I’m making it a point to stick to my shakes and times as best I can day to day, and find it really helps. I did split up a bit of my almond butter again today, and am letting it slide as a ‘weekend’ thing. Not changing the serving, just had a little as a ‘treat’ earlier this afternoon.

I train early tomorrow morning, and am going to try to get a little more Surge into me before the workout to see if it helps.

Otherwise, nothing special to report except that I’m curious about these Pulse Fasts - thinking I’m going to do the 6 weeks as written, then maybe look at Pulse Fasting once/week carrying forward.