Biotest

Keto Question: 100 Grams of Carbs

Hey Chris,

I’m not an expert, but i was wondering about the 100g carb rue of thumb you have. I’m trying a modified Anabolic/TKD in which I have only trace carbs/veggies, plus a finibar before lifting. I’m gonna hit around 80g carb per day. Wouldn’t it be better, however, to fully drop into ketosis That way, my body would begin using fat for fuel instead of carbs, which I’d only have a small amount of anyway.

The way I see it, if I go fully into keto, my body will be switching from diesel to unleaded, but if I just stay low carb w/out going keto, my body will be running on fumes. Am i right, or am i grossly oversimplifying? Also, if I DO stay with the 80g carbs, would a FINiBAR pre and a scoop of Grow! Whey post be enough? Thanks

Here’s my big picture opinion: Ketosis isn’t necessary for fast fast loss. Yet ketosis generally makes people feel like crap. So why go keto if there’s no real advantage to it over something that’s more practical and works just as well, like 100g of carbs per day or the V-Diet?

i hear you…i’m actually one of the few people who are attempting to put on mass using a TKD approach. I’m going to do something around: 3,500-4000 cals, 80g carb, 250g fat, 220g pro per day on lifting days…Just going to give it a shot for a few weeks. But yeah, just thought that even though keto prob sucks, at least the body would be more efficiently utilizing its resources than if it werent in keto and was receiving such a small number of carbs

When I do a V-Diet, I go into ketosis big time within 2 days, and I don’t feel like crap. I guess I’ve been doing low carb long enough that I’ve adapted and don’t feel the crappy side anymore. Admittedly, the first time I tried the Atkins Induction Diet many years ago, I did feel really crappy for a couple days.

I think you have to train your body to be able to go into ketosis. Even Atkins said some people have trouble with it. He had an even more extreme version of his Induction Diet that would force you into ketosis. I forget how it works, but there were a lot of expensive macadamia nuts involved. Once your body adapts, it seems to switch modes quickly and painlessly.

I have been zero carb keto for well over a year. It’s funny how most studies only look at a month at most and ignore the fact that it may take many months to fully adapt. I feel absolutely powerful with endless energy, excellent workouts and no problems building muscle. The only problem is at times you have force your self to eat enough calories due to the hunger quenching properties of this way of eating. I don’t think I’d eat 100g of carbs in a year.

[quote]alanrlow wrote:
I have been zero carb keto for well over a year. It’s funny how most studies only look at a month at most and ignore the fact that it may take many months to fully adapt. I feel absolutely powerful with endless energy, excellent workouts and no problems building muscle. The only problem is at times you have force your self to eat enough calories due to the hunger quenching properties of this way of eating. I don’t think I’d eat 100g of carbs in a year. [/quote]

Alanrlow I’d like to hear more about your experience on keto:

-Did you ever carb up (CKD or TKD)? Was it a whole day/weekend/just one meal?
-You say you are building muscle, do you use a TKD (workout nutrition) approach or not?

I ask because I just got off a CKD. Although I was fat-adapted, at the end I started to feel like I was losing my edge…tired all the time, not focused, etc. I had to quit early. It worked well for a month. I did go from “somewhere” around 25 percent to around 15 percent BF.

(Sorry for the hijack) Take care folks.

[quote]Doc J wrote:

[quote]alanrlow wrote:
I have been zero carb keto for well over a year. It’s funny how most studies only look at a month at most and ignore the fact that it may take many months to fully adapt. I feel absolutely powerful with endless energy, excellent workouts and no problems building muscle. The only problem is at times you have force your self to eat enough calories due to the hunger quenching properties of this way of eating. I don’t think I’d eat 100g of carbs in a year. [/quote]

Alanrlow I’d like to hear more about your experience on keto:

-Did you ever carb up (CKD or TKD)? Was it a whole day/weekend/just one meal?
-You say you are building muscle, do you use a TKD (workout nutrition) approach or not?

I ask because I just got off a CKD. Although I was fat-adapted, at the end I started to feel like I was losing my edge…tired all the time, not focused, etc. I had to quit early. It worked well for a month. I did go from “somewhere” around 25 percent to around 15 percent BF.

(Sorry for the hijack) Take care folks.[/quote]

I have read all of Lyle’s books and at first (about 18 mts ago) I thought a carb up/ refeed was needed too. I did experiment with a day of high carb and felt absolutely awful. Couldn’t imagine doing a weekend. I found no improvement and stopped soon after.
I think “proper” fat adaption comes after being keto adapted on a high fat diet for quite some time. I think this can be upset with high carb input. Mind you I’m not talking about small amounts of green veg now and again. I have never experienced tiredness but a spoonful or two of coconut oil would do the trick. That and I hit the BCAA/EAA before during and after training, (always fasted). This is just my experience and YMMV.
Thanks for the question.