Biotest

JRuez's V-Diet Log: Started March 3

I started today and finished my first meal about 1 hour ago. I have everything that was on the list, my workouts printed off, and supplements ready to go.

I woke up this morning and did my NEPA walk. I would like to say it was easy, but my thighs and all the shin muscles burned pretty good. Not too unusual for me when I start back to running or walking for exercise. It should go away after a couple days. I went for a little more than the min 30 mins. I am working up to 45 - 60 min by the weeks end.

I weigh 216 with about 24% bodyfat (tanita scale reading). My goal is to lose at least 25 lbs. All of my measurements have been taken, as well as pictures.

My first shake was filling, and I took the prescribed Flameout, flaxseed, and fiber choice with it.

The hardest part is just starting anything, so I have gotten past that. Now, I will focus on finishing day one.

good luck man. stay positive.

Right on man!

Keep on posting… Youre in good V-Diet company!

[quote]jruez wrote:

The hardest part is just starting anything, so I have gotten past that. Now, I will focus on finishing day one. [/quote]

The is true for many people. It’s like when you were a kid and dreading getting a shot at the doctor. Then, when you get it, you think, “Oh, that wasn’t so bad.”

I also find that just starting something – getting on that right path – makes you feel energized and motivated. It’s kind of a “leap and the net will appear” thing.

Anyway, keep us updated on your journey!

Good luck cuz—I know you can do it and have great results!

First workout is done - Intermediate, day 1. It was tough to keep up with the rest between exercises. I have a different gym that I can use and actually set up all my stations before I start. That will help.

I like Poliquin’s tip on warming-up, which says to do a couple sets of the exercise before starting. Today, I did my warm-ups before each exercise set. Next workout, I will try to do all my exercise warm-ups before I actually start the program. I think it will go more smoothly that way.

The weights I used were pretty much right on for the sets. Most sets were 4-5 reps, as the workout dictated. Since I did not have access to an ab-wheel, I used a EZ-Curl bar with 25’s on each side. That suggestion was given in another forum, and it worked perfectly. I also did the chin-up, which was my toughest exercise. The first set was 5 reps, the rest weren’t. HA! - 5,4,3,3,2,2,1.

My muscles were pretty tired and I was breathing hard after the entire workout was completed, which felt good.

I will need to plan my meals a little better tomorrow. I was a little late to my workout and that threw off my post-workout shake. So now, to finish the day, I will need to drink the rest of my shakes every two hours. I am not sure how that will be, because they have been filling me up pretty good. It was recommended in another post to space them 3 hours apart and that was actually pretty good advice. I will see what happens tonight. I might need to stay up a little later than I planned, so I can get in my last shake.

I will post a question for Chris in his thread about adding glutamine to my post workout shake. I am not sure if that was on the list of other supplements allowed in the faq’s, but I have always liked the recovery benefits.

Until tomorrow …

Welcome to the party! I got my stuff this afternoon and will be starting tonight. The warming up thing is a great idea…especially for us older, heavy lifters :slight_smile: I’ll be dropping in to check on your progress since we started on the same day…Keep up the good work!!

Good morning. Day two has officially begun. I had a lot of trouble falling asleep last night, so I did not do my NEPA this morning, due to the fact that I wanted to get my 8 hours sleep in and needed to get to work. I will do it at lunch. That still sticks with the plan as written, so I will not be discouraged, even though I wanted to do them in the morning. ‘Never miss a day’ says the manual, so that is the rule I will follow.

I might have taken the HOT-ROX a little too close to bed, but I didn’t think 2:30pm was that early for them. It could have also been the 3 meals I packed away in 6 1/2 hours, or just the workout that kept my body pretty wired. Regardless, I finally fell asleep around 1:00 or 1:30am.

The amount of water that needed to leave my body during the night kept me pretty active. I probably got up 4 times, frantically running through my house with my eyes half open, hoping to successfully dodge any obstacles that were in my way. I have planned my meals out a little better today and I will work on sticking to my timeline. That should help me get to bed a little earlier and sleep without so many interruptions.

I will say that I feel rested and recovered. My body is not as sore as I expected, so my walk will be enjoyable and not torture on my legs.

My focus is now is getting through day two.

Keep up the great work—you are bound to hit a few snags in the path to greatness. If it was easy—everyone would do it. Stay focused and overcome. You are doing great!

I did my NEPA as planned … 45 minutes. Great day today, so I am glad it got me outside. I sit in front of a computer all day long, so it is nice to just get outside for a bit!

I found that if I use a little less water and a little more ice, mix up my shake, then let it site for about a minute, it thickens up pretty good. That makes it really fill me up and last for a while.

I feel great and have a ton of energy!

Day 3
I woke up and did my NEPA this morning. 30 minutes. Another great day outside, so that is making it easy. When will my first rain day be?

My body is a bit sore today. That second day workout soreness set in, but it is still not as bad as I thought it would have been. The diet seems to really have what is needed to help with recovery.

I will be doing today’s workout around 3:30. My goal will be to focus on the rest times. I read this post by Chris

where he talks about some guys that say the workout was too easy. He then went and lifted with them, to find they were not doing it right. When he corrected their issues, it annihilated them.

I am going to go through the list below and make sure I follow his points

[quote]1. Resting way too much (talked too much between sets, didn’t look at the clock.)

1. Not lifting as fast as possible, as the workout prescribes. In other words, they lifted, but they didn’t bare down and FIRE the weight up with max speed and effort.

2. Weren’t using the proper RM weight on set #1, which of course determines how the rest of the reps go for the exercise.[/quote]

After finishing workout #2 using the guidelines presented by Chris in my earlier post, I can honestly say that I wish I had never found the guidelines presented by Chris.

1. There were only a few times where I rested 2-3 seconds longer than the allotted time. Other than those few times, I rest 45 seconds, including between exercises (I set up all my weights before I started)

2. I lifted as fast as proper form would allow me to lift.

3. The weight I picked seemed to be right on. Most of my sets started with 8-9 reps and went down from there. All the exercises lasted for 7 or more sets.

This workout kicked my butt. I was happy when I got so tired the I could only do 1 rep, because that meant I could rest again quickly. My muscles did get weaker as the reps got closer to 40, but the real challenge was controlling my breathing. It just felt like I was running a marathon.

Day three almost over.

Keep going man—doing great. In Ohio now at the arnolds!! I showed Lindsay the pics of Nate the Great—and she thinks it looks just like you too—and it will soon!

Thanks!

I will give your company a plug for that! HA!

You can check out my cousin Jake and his company Fight Chix (http://www.fightchix.com) at the Arnold Expo in the Columbus Convention Center BOOTH 150-152 this weekend.

Well, I can definitely tell a difference today between a good workout and a really tough workout. My body is extremely sore … legs, arms, everything. Wow. I am looking forward to my walk so I can loosen up a bit.

I was a little tired today. I slept good, but could have gotten another hour in. I think my body was still recovering.

I had a few cravings last night. It probably didn’t help that I was watching Man vs. Food, but that is not what really started it. They didn’t last long though because these shakes are really filling me up. This morning I barely finished my first one.

I started to feel a little spacey yesterday, but still functioning fine and have a lot of energy. Just the change in diet I will assume.

[quote]jruez wrote:
After finishing workout #2 using the guidelines presented by Chris in my earlier post, I can honestly say that I wish I had never found the guidelines presented by Chris.

1. There were only a few times where I rested 2-3 seconds longer than the allotted time. Other than those few times, I rest 45 seconds, including between exercises (I set up all my weights before I started)

2. I lifted as fast as proper form would allow me to lift.

3. The weight I picked seemed to be right on. Most of my sets started with 8-9 reps and went down from there. All the exercises lasted for 7 or more sets.

This workout kicked my butt. I was happy when I got so tired the I could only do 1 rep, because that meant I could rest again quickly. My muscles did get weaker as the reps got closer to 40, but the real challenge was controlling my breathing. It just felt like I was running a marathon.

Day three almost over. [/quote]

that’s what i’m talking about. THAT, is how it should feel. I’m right with you, just wait for week two and beyond when the rests decrease even more…wow! stay focused and strong. good job so far, keep it up.

Thanks jstirto. I know that sticking to these workouts will be a key to success. Thanks for the encouragement!

It is about 11:00pm on day 4. I finished my NEPA around 9pm and my final meal about 9:15. Since then, I have found myself watching the food channel and any on-demand cooking show I can find. I am craving some real food, so those shows are probably not the best to be watching right now.

4th day is done. My body is still a bit sore, but not as bad as when I woke up. I am looking forward to tomorrow’s workout. 3 more days to finish the first week. Very nice indeed.

I wanted to keep my workout info on this forum also. I have a book that I am keeping as a journal of all this, but might as well post it here.

Workout #1
As I posted above, I did not do this one exactly as it should have been … but adjusted for workout #2
Front Squat 135 for 1st set, then 155 for rest

Chin-ups
body weight

Dumbbell Bench
70 lbs

Ab-wheel rollout
done with ez-curl and 25’s on each side

tough workout. Stuck with the rest ok, except in between sets because of exercise setup.

Workout #2
I went to a different weight room, where I can set up everything before I start. No waiting issues, therefore rest was perfectly timed.

Reverse Lunge
40 lb dumbbells

Bent Over Rows
55 lb dumbbells

Push Press
45 lb dumbbells

Barbell Curl
I used dumbbells, both arms at same time
25lbs (HA! weak! I was so tired, but tried 35’s … nope, 30’s … nope)

Reverse Crunch on floor

Workout was sooo tough. Look at those sets!!! HA! I went all out and was breathing hard after each set. I looked forward to the 45 seconds rest each time because I needed it. After a while, I was laying down between sets. I loved the Reverse crunches b/c I didn’t even have to get up!

workout #3 - Saturday, march 7, 2009
Deadlift
weight - 275, 225 after 4 sets for rest
I started with a weight that I could handle, but just got too tired to continue doing it. I dropped to 225.

Decline Dumbbell Bench
weight - 75lbs

Lat pull down
weight - 140lbs

Hand walkout

I was extremely tired when I was done. It took me a while to recover today … glad it was saturday. I stuck with the rest on all the exercises except the deadlifts. I didn’t realize they would be so difficult.

Tomorrow I am having my HSM, so that is pretty exciting!