Biotest

Jdeane's Diet Log

I am a 34 year old female, who has been lifting consistently for around 8 years. I train generally for strength, and haven’t done much conditioning work in over two years. I eat fairly clean, and already use shakes as a supplement to my diet (one scoop first thing in the morning with water and one scoop before bed with water. On lifiting days, one scoop with water after the gym). My goal is to lose around 15lbs while keeping my lean muscle. Specifically, I store fat on my arms, so I’m interested to see if the V-Diet helps with that.

Measurements
Height 66"
Weight 157lb
Neck 13"
Shoulders 39"
Chest - Upper 34.5"
Chest - Lower 36"
Waist - @ Navel 35"
Waist - @ Natural 32"
Hips 35.5"
Upper Arm R/L 13"/13"
Upper Leg R/L 24.5"/24"
Lower Leg R/L 15.5"/15.5"
Ankle R/L 9"/9"

I started yesterday (Monday) with Day 1. Mondays are usually a pretty hectic day for me at work, so having shakes instead of lunch was actually quite convenient. I went out with a “food bang” on Saturday and Sunday, so I didn’t crave any sweets.

I was a bit nervous about the workouts, since I haven’t done training for reps in some time (my primary focus at the gym has been training for strength). I went too light on the weights though and will need to up them next week to increase the difficulty. Because I’ve been training for more than 3 years, I’m doing the advanced program.

A) UH BB Row: 85lb 5, 5, 5, 5
B) OH Squat: 65lb 5, 5, 70lb 4, 4, 2
C) Dip: 10lb 6, 5, 12lb 5, 4
D) Rollouts: Elevated from knees with 1 sec pause at extension 6, 5, 4, 3, 2

NEPA: Stationary bike 15mins, Treadmill 30 mins

Day 2
I didn’t get the best sleep on Monday night, so getting through the shake Tuesday morning was a bit of a struggle. But otherwise everything was fine. I wasn’t able to find Fibre Choice brand tablets (maybe they aren’t available in Canada…?), so I’m using an alternative which are about 0.8g fibre/tab. Hopefully that’s similar to the Fibre Choice…

The day was a bit harder to get through than Day 1 - I had fewer meetings at work, so I had to get through lunch hour at the office. One of my coworkers was having cucumbers with her lunch and I could smell them down the hall. I miss cucumbers. And celery. I also found that I was quite nauseous by the end of the work day - I used to react really badly to HOT-ROX (been ok to this point on the V-Diet), so I’m guessing that’s what it was. I had a quick power nap when I got home, and felt better after that.

I did my NEPA walk for an hour outside to take advantage of the clear (i.e. no rain) skies and mild temperatures.

The worst part I’m finding so far isn’t so much craving food, but smelling it. My husband made chicken and baked sweet potato for his dinner and it smelled amazing. I sucked it up though and had my shake. Only 5 more days until my HSM - never thought I’d look so forward to a Sunday!

Hey, welcome. I had similar problems with smelling the various foods being heated in my office/at home during my first week, you are definitely not alone. The problems seemed to dissipate after the first week, so just keep sticking with it, I just started day 10 and it is more like cruising now. Also, I just looked at my fiber choice label, 1.5g/tablet in case you were wondering.

Good luck and stay up.

Thanks BtheKidd - I appreciate the support (and checking the fibre tabs for me!). I’ve been generally avoiding the kitchen at work, which is helping :wink:

Day 3 is now in the books… I got a better sleep on Tuesday night, but still had trouble with the morning shake. My train ride to work wasn’t the best while dealing with nausea. I think one of my issues is dealing with how sweet the MD shakes are (especially the chocolate). My usual shake brand isn’t as sweet, and I generally only have one scoop at a time, so the thickness combined with the sweetness of the MD is taking some getting used to. I’ve been doing one scoop chocolate and one scoop vanilla to counteract the sweetness in the chocolate, and that’s helping.

Overall, Day 3 has definitely been the worst so far. I’m finding it hard to get through the shakes - they’re thick and sweet, which I’m not used to at all. It took me two hours to get through my dinner shake last night. I can only hope that it starts getting better next week…

My workout yesterday was good - much harder than I’m used to. I haven’t done lifting for reps in some time, so I wasn’t prepared for the lactic build up! It also took me way more sets than I thought it would to get through the chin ups - my 1RM for chins is 30lbs, so I figured that doing body weight chins for reps wouldn’t be too hard. However, I didn’t take into account how fatigued my triceps would be from dips on Monday and how many reps 40 chins actually is! (I swapped out chins and pull ups since I know I won’t be able to do 40 unassisted pull ups and would like to keep up with them.) Oh well, I suppose that I can only get better from here ;). I’m not looking forward to my Challenge Day - if I was lactic on my day 2 workout, I don’t even want to think about how lactic my Challenge is going to make me.

A) Chin Ups: BW 6, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2
B) Incline DB Bench: 20lb 8, 8 25lb 8, 7, 6, 3
C) RDL: 135lb 8, 8, 6, 6, 6, 6
D) BB Curl: 40lb 10, 8, 8, 8, 6
E) Hanging Leg Raise: 8, 8, 6, 6, 6, 6

NEPA: Treadmill 35mins

As an interesting aside, I don’t find that I have dry mouth like some people have noted, but I do have really dry lips. I’m using a ton of lip balm, more than I normally would at this time of year.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/9/8/984bb_ORIG-Before_Combined.jpg

Day 4 - Still felt nauseous, but I’m working through it. I found I was exceptionally irritable too - I had to apologise a couple of times to coworkers for snapping at them. I finally called it a day in the mid-afternoon and went home for a nap. The nap helped with the nausea, and gave me some energy to go out to an alumni event I had RSVPd to. I was a bit nervous to attend, since I knew there would be appies there.

Turns out, nothing looked appetising, so I was good. I had a couple of glasses of Perrier, which was enough to look like I was socially drinking, and the carbonation helped me feel full. It was also nice to see everyone I haven’t seen in a long time (it was for my Masters program that we graduated from 7 years ago - it’s the 10 year anniversary of the program).

To help get through all the shakes, I’ve changed the progression a bit. I’m having two scoops with my afternoon shake instead of one, and now only have one scoop before bed. I’ve also switched my nut butter from my pre-bedtime shake to my lunch shake and that has been much better. It helps to have that flavour change in the middle of the day too ;).

I’ve also started adding lime juice to the water with my shakes - I’m finding it’s cutting through the sweetness of the chocolate MD, and making the flavour more manageable. We’ll be at Costco this weekend, so I’ll be buying a big bag of limes! I read an interesting idea to use mint tea instead of water with chocolate shakes, so I’m going to try that too.

I’m sore from my Day 2 workout, but not where I thought I would be. My lower body feels ok, but my traps, lats and shoulders are sore - since that’s where I’m looking to lose fat, it’s all good by me! I didn’t get to do a continuous NEPA because of the event I went to. But I tried to make up for it by getting off the bus a few stops earlier to and from work and to and from the event.

I probably got in about 25 minutes of walking that way (plus a sprint for the bus on my way home from the event…). I’m looking forward to the Day 3 workout - squat day and deadlift day are always my favourite in my usual program (probably because those are my strongest lifts). I haven’t done front squats in a few months too, so it will be a nice change up.

I still haven’t had any cravings but I am starting to plan my HSM for Sunday. I love to cook, so I’m finding it hard not being able to cook each night for dinner. I’m thinking broiled halibut filet, with a wild rice and pecan pilaf and a big bowl of salad with raspberries, cucumbers and almonds as garnish. I’ll probably have some random sticks of celery too, since I miss celery ;).

I also realised that I haven’t posted my before photos yet - I’m not super proud of them, but since I’m in for the process, here they are…

Day 5 - Friday
I decided to work from home, after my ridiculous crankiness on Thursday. It also gave me a chance to get a bit more sleep, which is probably where the irritability is coming from. I had a nap before the gym as well, which was nice. I was still really nauseous though, so I’m thinking I might switch from the HOT-ROX to the Carbolin 19 if I’m still feeling this bad by Monday. Not sure I can do three more weeks of nausea…

So I tried using mint tea in place of water for the shakes - I didn’t like it at all. It tasted almost alcoholic, like a fruity, sugary cocktail. With the nausea feeling like a mild hangover, it was not a good combination. So I’m sticking with putting lime juice in each shake to cut the sweet flavour. Overall, very strange, since I probably drink 4 cups of mint tea a day, but I suppose the difference is in the added Metabolic Drive flavours.

The gym was good but hard - I got the weights right, which turned my legs into jello after front squats. I got through everything pretty well intact, and didn’t vomit from the lactic build up ;). I did find that doing front squats while nauseous is not a good idea - having the bar press against my throat for multiple sets generally didn’t improve my situation…

A) Front Squats: 95lb 5, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3
B) Bench Press - close grip: 85lb 5, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3
C) Pull Up - Wide Grip: Band Assist 3, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 1
D) Push Press (BB): 75lb 5, 4, 4, 3, 4, 3, 2

NEPA: 45mins treadmill

I’m looking forward to sleeping in on Saturday - I’m usually not this tired, so I’m thinking I’ll need to readjust my sleep schedule while I’m on the V-Diet. I’m also nervous about the Challenge tomorrow - I have a feeling it’s going to kick my ass.

Good luck in the v-diet!
How many HOT-ROX do you take ? do you take 2 caps twice a day ?

If so, i would recommend going 1 cap, twice a day, or 2 caps in the morning, and one in afternoon and see if the nausea disappears.
Try it 1 cap a day, twice a day and see if it gets better.

HOT-ROX , twice a day, gave me nausea in the afternoon for like 10 days, i had to experiment a bit.

I ended up buying Carbolin 19 and doing 1 HOT-ROX 1 Carbolin 19, twice a day and nausea disappeared.

Hope it helps!

Day 6 - Saturday
So I’m apparently thinking about food, because I had a few food dreams on Friday night. One of them was about having donuts at a local gourmet donut shop. It was a blueberry filled raised donut - very delicious. I think that the dream came from me watching Donut Showdown on Food Network. Note to self, don’t watch the Food Network this month… I also started craving crackers Friday night. I will sometimes eat a few crackers when I’m feeling nauseous to help settle down my stomach, which is where I think the craving was coming from. I chewed on a fibre tab instead and got through it.

I got about 9 hours of sleep Friday night, which has me feeling much better. However, I didn’t roll out my traps after the gym, and then slept badly on my right side - when I woke up my right trap was knotted up - not a good situation for Challenge Day. By the time I got to the gym to do my Challenge, it was sore, but not brutal - I did some warm up work with the bar to loosen everything and get the blood flowing. My trap was ok, but the rest of me didn’t do so good. I’m doing the Advanced Challenge, with the exception of handstand push-ups (I’m doing pike push-ups in place of the handstands). I got through the 7 sets of 10 reps, but it took me 55 minutes to complete. I knew it was going to be bad, but that’s really bad! Each circuit took me between 4 and 5 minutes, but I found I needed a ton of rest in between. At least now I know it can’t get any worse ;).

I went out to a movie with some friends Saturday night, which I knew was going to be tough for me. I don’t indulge in a lot of bad foods, but movie popcorn is one of my weaknesses. It makes me feel terrible (too much fat and salt), but I LOVE the flavour. I took a shake with me to have in the theatre, which helped a lot. The popcorn smelled amazing, but I got through it. I was super hungry by the end of the movie though. My friends all went out for dinner and a cocktail afterwards, but I elected to go home. Normally I would have gone (and not eaten), but I was just too hungry and wasn’t willing to spend my HSM on food I didn’t get to cook myself. The movie was good though, so I’m glad I went. Definitely looking forward to my HSM.

I’ve decided to stop the HOT-ROX and go with the Carbolin 19 instead. I took on HR with my morning shake Saturday morning and then didn’t take another one for the rest of the day. The nausea passed after a few hours in the morning, so Day 7 will start with Carbolin 19…

Thanks infected - I appreciate the advice. I have taken HOT-ROX before the V-Diet, and reacted in the same way. I found that taking one HR every 3 to 4 hours worked best for me. On the V-Diet, I took one before my breakfast, lunch and mid-afternoon shakes (I didn’t take the 4th one recommended otherwise I’d never get to bed). I stopped taking them yesterday and felt better in the afternoon and at night, so I’m going to switch over to the Carbolin 19 to see how that works out for me. Since I knew I didn’t do well with HR (and already had some in the cupboard), I ordered the Carbolin 19 with my kit from Biotest. Feeling good so far!

Very good news! I actually started replied about nausea before i read the part you mentioned HOT-ROX :slight_smile:
I had the exact same thing. for me i didn’t try the every 3/4 hours, the labels say every 6 hours and i didn’t want to have it constantly in the blood even though, it makes sense.
Right now i can take 4 HOT-ROX a day, no problem, but it wasn’t like that before.
Carbolin 19 doesn’t have the nausea effect, at least for me.

Sometimes i take 2 Carbolin 19 in the AM, and 2 in the afternoon (6 hours after first dose) and i never experienced any nausea.
I usually cycle and stop HOT-ROX for a few days, as i get used to it, and i don’t even feel the “rush” anymore.

Good luck with the 3 remaining weeks. And very good job not eating popcorn / crackers and all that junk :slight_smile:
Funny, i was craving for steaks and veggies during V-Diet

Day 7 - Sunday
HSM Day! I weighed myself this morning - down 7.4lb (157.2 start; 149.8 HSM day). My pants are still tight though, so I’m guessing I’ve lost mostly water weight. I’ve decided not to do measurements with my weigh in - I might do them next week if I’m up to it. I decided to switch over to the Carbolin 19, and I found the nausea was reduced substantially. I still have a bit of an upset stomach after each shake, but I’m thinking that’s more to do with the volume of liquid going in…

Because it was NFL Championship day, we didn’t go out much, other than to do our weekly grocery shopping. We also went to the local market to pick up some halibut for dinner. I made broiled halibut with a shallot and walnut wild rice pilaf, and baby greens salad topped with fresh raspberries, pine nuts and cucumbers. The filet was about 6oz, which I was able to get through before feeling so full it hurt. I finished all the salad, but not all of the rice. I also made a fruit salad, and had that for dessert, which tasted amazing (apart from the blackberries, which were sour - can’t complain too much about January blackberries though!). Interestingly, it wasn’t so much the food that I enjoyed the most, but the act of cooking - I love to cook, and not having meals to cook during the week was more challenging than the not eating. I would make my husband dinner, but I taste as I cook, so that wouldn’t work very well.

So now that week one is done, I must say that the process has been a lot harder, and a lot easier, than I expected it to be. I don’t find that I want solid food very often, but I do find the shakes really hard to get through. I think if I did the V Diet again (which is unlikely at this point), I would do it with a different protein powder. I also found it hard in a social situation when my friends went out for dinner and I knew I wouldn’t be able to join them. If I’d had a shake with me, I would have been fine, but I wasn’t expecting to be out that long - lessons learned I suppose.

Very good for the nausea :slight_smile:
I was also cooking during my v-diet, but not for me :slight_smile: I didn’t mind the smell except a few rare times.
Different protein powders may not work so well tho, you would need to make sure they is both whey and casein at least.

What i did at one point was, appart from ordering new tastes, was to put a MAG-10 here and there which are much easier to drink.
Like in the morning, or for the 5pm one.
I kept my lunch and bed shake normal though. MAG-10 is digested super fast and i would die from hungriness otherwise.
Keep it up and you will be done soon!

Day 8 - Monday
I had a brutally terrible sleep Sunday night, which is affecting my ability to function… I’m not sure why I had a such a bad sleep, maybe the sugar from the fruit salad I had with my HSM? After two hours of not being able to fall asleep (which is very unusual for me), I took a sedative. It helped me sleep, but I always wake up groggy the next morning after taking sedatives.

One the bright side, no nausea for me! I definitely am glad that I switched to the Carbolin 19. Hopefully it has as positive results as the HOT-ROX in the weight loss area.

It was the first day that the MD started to taste less offensive - when I had my mid-afternoon snack shake, it actually tasted like a milkshake. Maybe I’ve finally got used to the flavour? I’ve also been drinking my shakes through a straw, which might be helping with the flavour.

I’m still having trouble finding the ideal 4-5RM for my Monday workout, especially on rows. I have a bad habit of letting my form go when I get heavier on rows, so I’m worried about going too high on the weight. I’ll try for 115lb on my starting weight next week and see how that goes.

I also need to find a way to make roll-outs harder. My shoulders aren’t quite strong enough to do a full roll-out from my feet, but it’s too easy doing them from my knees elevated on a bench. I might try to do them from my feet to a wall at a 3/4 extension.

A) UH BB Row: 95lb 5, 100lb 5, 105lb 5, 110lb 5
B) OH Squat: 65lb 3, 3, 3, 3. 4. 4
C) Dip: 15lb 5, 5, 5, 5
D) Rollouts: Elevated from knees with 1 sec pause at extension 5, 5, 5, 5

NEPA: Treadmill 45mins

I’m concerned about my wrists on this workout day - I have tendonitis in my right wrist, which tends to get agrivated with heavy wrist flexion. I snatch the bar when doing overhead squats, which adds a lot of load to the wrist in the catch, and the load on my wrists with dips is starting to get a bit hard. I’m considering getting wrist wraps to help with stabilisation…

Carbolin 19 is a good switch, it helps against muscle loss and of course, help losing fat :slight_smile:
Wrists wraps sound like a good idea, for such kind of pain i usually up my fish oil intake as well, and i am taking curcumin, which seems to help a bit as well.
Good luck and keep it up!

Thanks infected - I definitely appreciate the support!

Day 9 - Tuesday
Much better sleep Monday night - may have something to do with going to bed at a reasonable hour… Still having reduced nausea, which is making the process much better. As another plus, because I’m not taking HR, I can have caffeinated tea in the mornings again. I didn’t realise how much I missed having a cup of earl grey in the morning until I had one on Monday. I am finding everything easier overall - without with nausea, I’m much less irritable.

Not much else to report from Day 9 - did my NEPA walk outside. The weather has been unseasonably dry for the west coast, which is working out very nicely for my walking (although not so much for my skiing…). I’m not looking forward to the workout tomorrow though; I was definitely discouraged by the 40 rep scheme, but hopefully I’ll be stronger at it today and see some improvements.

You are welcome! :slight_smile: I will ping regularly :slight_smile:
I really enjoyed when someone was posting and supporting me on my log, i wish there were more messages, sometimes you feel lonely in the log lol.

You are have already done one third of it, before you realize, there will be one week left and then you will proudly count the days left.

What’s wrong with the 40 reps scheme?
I am glad nausea is low now. The shakes and the fact you drink them all the time will always give a little bit of nausea but nothing so bad as HR on high dose.

Day 10 - Wednesday
As I was sitting at the computer having my breakfast shake, I decided to treat myself to a post V Diet cooking class - it’s a macaron making class at a French bakery. I LOVE macarons and am super excited to learn how to make them properly. Here’s hoping I still enjoy them after the V Diet. If nothing else, I know that I’ll enjoy the process of making them.

I had my first craving today at work - usually I’m busy at work and don’t have time to think of food, but today was a bit of a slow day. Around 2pm, all I wanted was a bag of plain Lays potato chips. The good thing is that my office is in the middle of nowhere, so there isn’t a lot of opportunity to snack. I don’t think that I would have given in to the craving, but it’s nice to know there wasn’t that option. I also have found that I’m more sensitive to food smells too. When I walked past the kitchen at work today, all I could smell was mashed potatoes (which smelled delicious). And on my walk home from the gym today, McDonald’s smelled vile - I normally don’t like the smell of McDonald’s, but today was especially gross.

The gym was good today - I did slightly better on my chins (and I mean slight - only one set less than last week). I’ve also got the weights where they need to be on this day, which made me feel better. RDLs felt marginally stronger too. The decrease in rest time was evident by the time I got to hanging leg raise though - usually I’m pretty strong on those, but today I thought my lower abs were going to cramp.

A) Chin Ups: BW 5, 4, 3, 3, 2, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 1
B) Incline DB Bench: 30lb 8, 7, 6, 6, 5, 5, 3
C) RDL: 135lb 8, 7, 7, 7, 6, 5
D) BB Curl: 50lb 8, 7, 7, 7, 6, 5
E) Hanging Leg Raise: BW 8, 7, 7, 7, 6, 5

NEPA: Walk outside 25 mins

infected - there’s absolutely nothing wrong with a 40 rep scheme, I just haven’t done that many reps of anything for a looong time. I generally train in a 3/2/1 rep scheme for my primaries, with an aim at 1RMs. My secondaries I usually keep to 3x8, so doing 40 reps with minimal rest is definitely a change up. It’s getting easier though (which is to say, I didn’t feel like puking this week ;)).

Day 11 - Thursday
I’m really tired today, but that’s 100% my fault for not going to be until 11:30pm - there was no reason to stay up either! I experienced a bit of shake apathy today; I got out of a meeting and was hungry, which I usually use as my sign to make a shake. However, I actually thought to myself it might be more desirable to stay hungry than to have another shake. This week has been harder than last week for me, so I’m hoping that it can only get better next week.

On the bright side, I’m almost halfway done. 28 days seems like a super short amount of time when planning to do the V Diet - definitely not super short when you’re actually in it. Although, I’m sure once it’s done I’ll look back and think how short the process was.

I will say that despite what the scale says, I’m not seeing much in the way of change so far. My pants are still tight, and I don’t see any changes in the mirror (except maybe in my face, which is one place I really don’t need thin out!). I know it’s a process, and I didn’t have a ton to lose in the first place, but it’s still discouraging none the less.

I’m in a curling tournament this weekend (starts Friday night), so I’m going to have to switch up my gym days to ensure I get everything in. I did my third workout today and will do the Challenge probably on Saturday afternoon (if we don’t win) or Sunday (if we do). It was hard to do two workouts in two days - my body was pretty fatigued, but I managed to get everything done without sacrificing the rest periods within sets. Because it’s January though, I’m usually taking more rest between exercises than is ideal. My gym is really busy right now, so I find that I usually have to wait between 5-10 minutes for equipment. It should start to slow down next week though, which will help with getting everything done faster.

A) Front Squats: 95lb 5, 5, 4, 4, 3, 2, 2
B) Bench Press - close grip: 85lb 5, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3
C) Pull Up - Wide Grip: Band Assist 4, 3, 2, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 1
D) Push Press (BB): 75lb 5, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, 2

NEPA: 25mins treadmill

I’m going to get some wrist wraps this weekend - today’s workout was especially hard with the close grip bench and cleaning into push press.