Biotest

Indigo-3G/Cardio/Peri-Workout Nutrition

I just started taking Indigo-3G 3 days ago and am looking forward to the journey over the next few months. As with anything in life, I attack anything at 150%, and this Indigo is no exception. I am 5’8", 170lbs. Bench 290, Squat 360, Deadlift 450. Probably around 8-9% bf.

Diet is very clean, usually three Metabolic Drive muscle growth shakes per day, one solid meal and cottage cheese before bed. I have Anaconda and just ordered some FINiBARs to try. I work out at 4:30 am, so I am currently waking up at 3:15 to take Indigo, sleeping until 3:50, waking up and heading to gym.

Currently drinking Surge Recovery (1 scoop) pre workout and 2 scoops post workout. Would the best peri workout be FINiBAR at 3:50, first serving of Anaconda at 4:15 and the other serving around 5am. I’m done working out by 5:30 as work starts at 6am.

Also, thinking about adding low intensity cardio on off days (am fasted for 45-60 min) or post workout for 30 min to help in both fat loss and recovery. Currently doing HP Mass Hypertrophy. Is cardio necessary? I would consider myself a mesomorph, can put on muscle quick but can also put on fat rather quickly. I’ve never been this lean so I guess I’m leary about all the added carbs.

Thanks!!

[quote]jbalplayr02 wrote:
I just started taking Indigo 3 days ago and am looking forward to the journey over the next few months. As with anything in life, I attack anything at 150%, and this Indigo is no exception. I am 5’8", 170lbs. Bench 290, Squat 360, Deadlift 450. Probably around 8-9% bf.

Diet is very clean, usually three MD muscle growth shakes per day, one solid meal and cottage cheese before bed. I have Anaconda and just ordered some FINiBARs to try. I work out at 4:30 am, so I am currently waking up at 3:15 to take Indigo, sleeping until 3:50, waking up and heading to gym.

Currently drinking Surge recovery (1 scoop) pre workout and 2 scoops post workout. Would the best peri workout be FINiBAR at 3:50, first serving of Anaconda at 4:15 and the other serving around 5am. I’m done working out by 5:30 as work starts at 6am.

Also, thinking about adding low intensity cardio on off days (am fasted for 45-60 min) or post workout for 30 min to help in both fat loss and recovery. Currently doing HP Mass Hypertrophy. Is cardio necessary? I would consider myself a mesomorph, can put on muscle quick but can also put on fat rather quickly. I’ve never been this lean so I guess I’m leary about all the added carbs.

Thanks!![/quote]

Wow, you are up at it early! Your schedule is tough because it leaves little wiggle room for sure. Typically with FINiBARs its an individual thing as to how close to training people like to have them. For some its 1-2hr, some even sooner, much like what you’ve laid out. Since its basically your first meal of the day having it closer to training shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

Personally i like to have a little bit of a separation between them and my peri-workout drink as you want to be totally sure you’re not effecting the absorption of the Anaconda/Plazma. With that being said i’m curious if you could wake “n” take Indigo at 3a.m, have the FINiBAR at 3:30a.m then begin sipping on the Anaconda 15min prior to training and finishing it up before you’re done training.

Again, i think what you initially laid out could definitely work and you will have to experiment with how it works for you. What i suggested is just an option to give a little separation between everything and something to think about.

Heck you could even take Indigo at 3:45a.m, start your day with the Anaconda at 4:15a.m, finish the Anaconda up during training and save the FINiBAR for AFTER training. I’m not sure if you’re using MAG-10 but having a serving of MAG-10 after training along with a FINiBAR would be a great post-training/Breakfast, one that you could have on the way to work as well.

There are a lot of options and CS will give you a nice concrete answer on it but its all about experimenting and finding what works best for you and your schedule.

And as far as the cardio goes, ditch it man, there is plenty of volume in The Indigo programs and especially the Hypertrophy plan. You have two “off” days from the program i suggest doing one of two things, a short bout of conditioning 20min TOPS, this could be battle ropes, prowler/sled work, KB swings, etc. Or something like a neural charge w/o, or maybe a sport you like, basketball, etc.

You have to understand that with Indigo your genetics have changed, you’re no longer pigeon-holed in a category like a mesomorph, etc. You’re now blessed with a more “gifted” ability to handle nutrients. So your days of mind numbing cardio should be long behind you man!

Also, set up your Indigo log so we can see a more detailed diet/training and can better help reach your goals.

Glad to have you on board, jbalplayr02. Let’s go over your questions one at a time, plus we’ll throw in a few more tips and things to consider:

1. I don’t seen an <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/indigo-3g"target=“new”>Indigo-3G log for you. Get one of those rolling, get pics in it, and we’d be glad to look it over and offer suggestions on everything from the best training program for you and your goals to your food selections.

2. Cottage cheese: A good muscle-building food for most people, but very milk-like for others, causing bloating (often mistaken for fat gain when the abs blur away) and might interfere with staying lean. If it works for you, no problem, but it could be something to tweak when and if needed.

3. With the newer Indigo-3G formula and dosing plan, you only need to take Indigo-3G thirty minutes before starting your peri-workout nutrition. That could help you loosen up your schedule a bit.

4. <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/finibar-competition-bar"target=“new”>Finibars can be eaten any time really, especially for Indigo-3G users who need some extra carbs to repartition into muscles. Most have one or two pre-workout – two hours before, one hour before, 30 minutes before… up to you and your schedule – but they’re great snacks or meal replacers as well for Indigo-3G users.

5. You only need to start your Anaconda pre-load a few minutes prior to training, then have another serving or two during depending on the length of your workout. Once you’ve finished the Anaconda, we suggest you upgrade to <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/plazma"target=“new”>Plazma.

6. Cardio, in the traditional sense of the word, is never really necessary. Too much done too often, especially when fasted, is catabolic (muscle-wasting), triggers cravings later in the day, and can increase anxiety and lower testosterone. Not good.

If you must do some cardio, we suggest semi-fasted using a serving of <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/mag-10"target=“new”>MAG-10 during the session to prevent muscle loss and increase fat loss. A better option is short, intense conditioning sessions after weight training or in a separate session or off day. The bottom of this blog has some tips: <a href="http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_blog_hammer_velocity_shugart/running_makes_you_fat"target=“new”>Running Makes You Fat

1. One last thing. Why is a guy who says he has single digit body fat so concerned about fat loss and wanting to run an hour? Focus on muscle gains and the ramped up metabolism from new muscle combine with the ability of Indigo-3G to fix the fat cells and repair nutrient uptake mechanisms will take care any body fat issues given your already clean diet and training dedication. We’d like to see you at 180 in a couple of months with the same low body fat you have now. Very doable.

Thanks for all the great advice! I will work on getting a log set up by tomorrow morning. I could be wrong about the bf%, I’ll let the experts decide from my pics. By the way, considering the length and amount of sets in weeks 2 and 3 of HP Mass, I may have to do some restructuring of my schedule and workout after work. Hate it though, as the gym is crowded. I’ve gotten rather spoiled being the only guy in there (besides the 5 or 6 lardasses that come every morning and do cardio and never change an ounce of how they look)

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Glad to have you on board, jbalplayr02. Let’s go over your questions one at a time, plus we’ll throw in a few more tips and things to consider:

1. I don’t seen an <a href="http://www.T-Nation.com/store/products/indigo-3g"target=“new”>Indigo-3G log for you. Get one of those rolling, get pics in it, and we’d be glad to look it over and offer suggestions on everything from the best training program for you and your goals to your food selections.

2. Cottage cheese: A good muscle-building food for most people, but very milk-like for others, causing bloating (often mistaken for fat gain when the abs blur away) and might interfere with staying lean. If it works for you, no problem, but it could be something to tweak when and if needed.

3. With the newer Indigo-3G formula and dosing plan, you only need to take Indigo-3G thirty minutes before starting your peri-workout nutrition. That could help you loosen up your schedule a bit.

4. <a href="http://www.T-Nation.com/store/products/finibar-competition-bar"target=“new”>Finibars can be eaten any time really, especially for Indigo-3G users who need some extra carbs to repartition into muscles. Most have one or two pre-workout – two hours before, one hour before, 30 minutes before… up to you and your schedule – but they’re great snacks or meal replacers as well for Indigo-3G users.

5. You only need to start your Anaconda pre-load a few minutes prior to training, then have another serving or two during depending on the length of your workout. Once you’ve finished the Anaconda, we suggest you upgrade to <a href="http://www.T-Nation.com/store/products/plazma"target=“new”>Plazma.

6. Cardio, in the traditional sense of the word, is never really necessary. Too much done too often, especially when fasted, is catabolic (muscle-wasting), triggers cravings later in the day, and can increase anxiety and lower testosterone. Not good.

If you must do some cardio, we suggest semi-fasted using a serving of <a href="http://www.T-Nation.com/store/products/MAG-10"target=“new”>MAG-10 during the session to prevent muscle loss and increase fat loss. A better option is short, intense conditioning sessions after weight training or in a separate session or off day. The bottom of this blog has some tips: <a href="http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_blog_hammer_velocity_shugart/running_makes_you_fat"target=“new”>Running Makes You Fat

1. One last thing. Why is a guy who says he has single digit body fat so concerned about fat loss and wanting to run an hour? Focus on muscle gains and the ramped up metabolism from new muscle combine with the ability of Indigo-3G to fix the fat cells and repair nutrient uptake mechanisms will take care any body fat issues given your already clean diet and training dedication. We’d like to see you at 180 in a couple of months with the same low body fat you have now. Very doable. [/quote]

A question on the cardio / HIIT - if you plan on doing an HIIT session on a non-lifting day do you still recommend taking Indigo before hand? My carbs during/ right after maybe lower than say a solid carb-heavy lunch time meal. Should I still take it before the workout, or should I take it before my carb heaviest meal?