Biotest

Indigo-3G Antagonists and Agonists, Especially Quercetin

It has been stated numerous times on this website and in the forums by Chris Shugart and others that Quercetin is an antagonist of Indigo-3G. As an example:

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Quercetin and other compounds (anthocyanins and anthocyanidins) can either inhibit or diminish the effects of Indigo-3G. /quote]

The online resource Examine provides ostensibly contradictory information on its website for the Cyanidin entry http://examine.com/supplements/Cyanidin/#ref60. Specifically, Examine states the following:

1. Synergism and Antagonism

Inositol has been shown to beneficially affect the bioavailability of blackcurrant anthocyanins when coingested, suggesting that the same mechanisms may apply to the Cyanidin subset.[59]

A study noting synergisms in strawberries noted that, when isolated, Cyanidin had its anti-oxidative potential inhibited by Pelargonidin, which was alleviated with Quercetin being added. Quercetin itself was synergistic with Cyanidin, and Cyanidin’s synergism with Quercetin is increased further with Ellagic Acid.[60]

I do not have access to the full texts of the cited studies, so I cannot reconcile this apparent conflict.

The flavonol quercetin-3-glucoside inhibits cyanidin-3-glucoside absorption in vitro.

2006 verus 2011, it’s possible something new has been learned since then.

However it’s best to just not take I3G with food on an empty stomach, then eat your meal 20-40 after. If Quercetin did enhance I3G I’m positive Tim P would of told us or included it in Indigo by now.

I’d like to get a full copy of that 2011 paper though.

Just wondering if anyone from Biotest has any further information or perspective on this.