Biotest

Increasing Heart Rate When Walking

I’ve been walking 5-6 times a week for quite a while now but especially while on the V-Diet.

Yesterday on a 90 minute walk (non WO day) I decided to take my pulse and check my HR a few times. I didn’t crack 100bpm at any time of measurement even after lengthy hills!! I’m travelling at just under 4m/hr (just over 6km/hr) for the 90 mins so not slacking but I also find it hard to increase the pace and maintain it. I’ve always found it hard to walk fast… one of my girlfriends @5’2" blitzes me and I find I have to run every few paces to keep up :slight_smile:

Anyway I was wondering if people had tips on how to increase my HR while walking because while I feel like I’ve doen some muscular work by the end and I get a bit of an endorphin buzz at the end of 90mins I’m afraid I’m not really burning as many calories as I could.

Just as a guide I do a lot of cardio and other exercise my resting HR is between 45-52bpm (52bpm while I type this) I bike 3-4hr/wk, run 2-3hr/wk, BJJ 3hr/wk, walk 3.5hr/wk.

Thanks for any tips!

I just walked as fast as I could with arms going (but not crazy) and I almost got over 80bpm …

I’m thinking of buying some arm weights tonight or a weight vest. What do people think ?

wtf man…that’s WAY too much cardio for the v-diet. you should not be doing ANY cardio. my resting hr is around the same. i haven’t done anything besides the walks on this diet. weighted vest make my spine hurt so i’d be careful with that. hand weights are ghey. don’t worry about intensity just walk for a long time. otherwise you’ll: burn muscle, or have no energy.

your weight training must be PURE HELL.

[quote]cpcloud wrote:
wtf man…that’s WAY too much cardio for the v-diet. you should not be doing ANY cardio. my resting hr is around the same. i haven’t done anything besides the walks on this diet. weighted vest make my spine hurt so i’d be careful with that. hand weights are ghey. don’t worry about intensity just walk for a long time. otherwise you’ll: burn muscle, or have no energy.

your weight training must be PURE HELL.[/quote]

I’ve got a log running at the moment and I found the first week was hard because I tried to maintain my schedule but since then I’ve dropped down. I was just trying to give an idea of my fitness.

Currently I’m riding maybe 1hr/wk, running 1.5hr/wk, walking 3.5hr/wk and BJJ 1.5-3hr/wk so about half my normal amount.

Weights are actually great! I think I just have a very solid base to work from and my recovery is good. For a long time I used to run 10km twice a day 5 days in a row every week and then a 25km run on Saturday with rest on Sunday. I also weight trained etc. I think it has a lot to do with individual ability.

I will take your advice though and just keep plugging away with how things are currently. I don’t like the idea of hand weights either just thought it might be a valid method.

I think I might just increase the distance and do some intervals of slight jogging then walking.

Thinking about V-Diet here. Currently doing resistance intensely 2 or 3 times a week, but also 3 martial arts workouts a week. The martial arts are not “cardio”…but they are intense, you do sweat and you do get tired.

Would the martial arts be too much during V-Diet?