Biotest

Incorporating V-Diet 3.0 into BBall?

Hey guys,

Edited for revised measurements (higher bodyfat %, after some research and measuring)

Warning - long post, but would appreciate help.

**Disclaimer- the obvious answer to my question is to wait until off season, but this is still a few months away, and even then we have summer tourneys etc. so I just wanna do it now, and drop the fat i’m carrying. To be honest, I don’t think I could ever stop playing for a month, at least not until I can’t walk anymore!

I understand that the required modifications may mean this effectively isn’t the v-diet anymore, but my starting point is the v-diet and my programme will still be based around v-diet principles, and I presently think that an adapted version of the v3 diet is my quickest way to shed the 10-15 pounds of fat i need to lose. Therefore I think this is the most appropriate forum to post.***

I am 6 foot, 190 pounds, and would guess maybe 13-16% body fat.

Ultimate goal - get fat down to 7-8%, then build as much muscle as I can before my athleticism (and slightly dodgy knees) is affected - prolly like to get to 190-200 pounds at 7-8%.

I can fit the new diet into my current life (i.e. can find the time to do the lifting and can work the shake based diet into my work/social life for 6 weeks, and am very keen to do so asap.

However, I have an issue in that I currently play for a basketball team, which means I need to do intense cardio at least three times a week, in order to keep my fitness levels up.

This cardio normally takes the form of two sessions of basketball, which are normally 2-3 hours long, and I guess could be classified as mainly HIIT training, with some longer moments of rest (shooting drills, talking through plays etc) and some steady state cardio (running through plays, some types of drills etc) If it’s a game, then its more like 1.5 hours of HIIT.

Then, in addition, once or twice a week, I’ll do high intensity cardio at the gym, which involves about 20-25mins on the eliptical to warm up the whole body and get a bit out of breath (so start of slow, then have a few bursts), then about 40-50 mins on the treadmill, where I start of jogging slowly (e.g. 10 on the speed readout) for about 6-8 mins, then walk for 2 mins, then jog faster for a 5-7 mins (11), then walk for 2, run for 4-5 (12) etc. basically running faster each time for less time with the 2 min walking rests in between. I’ll also work the incline up during the 40-50 mins. I usually end up doing 45-60 sec sprints after about 40ish mins, which i keep doing until i hit 50 mins.

Then I’ll do intervals on the bike for anywhere between 10-20 mins on the stationary bike (i.e. one min on, one min off) with a 5 min cool down.

So total time of cardio is about 70-80 mins, being a mix of steady state and intense bursts. I find this mix helps both my stamina and athletic performance. Always follow with 20-30 mins of stretching. Tend to use bcaa’s right before and during and follow with a carb/protein meal.

I also lift twice a week (once upper body, once lower body, both for 2ish hours, using Surge Workout Fuel and Surge Recovery to mitigate the length of the workout).

This is my in season programme, and is obviously centered around conditioning, and the lifting is just to maintain strength.

Now, the V-Diet minimizes cardio to prevent muscle loss. I was wandering, can I adapt the diet to allow for cardio/basketball? I can reduce the cardio so that I only play basketball and ditch the gym cardio. I don’t mind my athletic performance dipping on the court, but there’s no way I can stop playing for 1 week, let alone 4-6, it’s not even an option.

So if I were to follow the V-Diet 3.0 (intermediate), what changes would I have to make, assuming that it was followed exactly as specified with the addition of the 2-3 hour practice on tue, and one game a week (usually a thurs or weekend).

I would assume that I would have treat these like lifting sessions, and consume a portion of Surge Recovery for every hour of play. (I do this presently as it is) Okay to take Surge Workout Fuel?

I also assume I would perhaps have to increase my overall protein intake? How would I do this? Would it just be on the cardio/basketball days, or everyday?

Would I have to adapt the lifting programme at all, or the nutrition surrounding it? Planning to follow the intermediate programme.

Would I need to change the overall nutritional programme? Extra shake a day?

I realise adapting the programme will reduce the effectiveness, as it a finely tuned programme, so I am willing to accept a little muscle loss and perhaps reduced fat loss, but if you guys could advise me on how best to adapt the programme to accommodate my basketball/fitness needs, that would be great.

Note - Nothing is out of the question, two a days, additional suuplements, waking up in the middle of the night to have a shake, adapting my cardio as much as I can, getting massages/treatment to speed up recovery, anything at all that you think is necessary to help mitigate the effects of the extra cardio, I am willing to do anything except stop playing ball or start taking steroids.

Sorry for the long post, I guess could have made a lot shorter, but wanted to give as much info as poss in the initial post.

Really excited about finally dropping the weight, but am really anxious to do so while being able to ball, so would really appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks and regards,

SS

Other Activities?

Q: Can I participate in sports or other physical hobbies while on the V-Diet?

A: For best results, spend your time on the V-Diet focused intensely on the V-Diet. Don’t spread yourself too thin. You want to have plenty of energy for the V-Diet workouts.

Intense activities and sports are best avoided while on the V-Diet. Less intense hobbies ? a bike ride or light hike with the family, for example ? are fine. You can skip the NEPA walk on those days.

Yes, I did see that. I understand it.

My question is that, given that I AM going to play basketball, what can I do to best mitigate/counteract the muscle loss effects of the extra cardio?

I understand that my modified plan technically may mean that I’m not doing the actual Velocity diet anymore, but as I stated before, it would be a diet/programme closely based on the V diet and its principles, and I think that Chris, Chad and other V-dieters would be the people best placed to answer my original question. Which is why I am posting in this forum section.

I fully understand that the Velocity diet is a finely tuned programme, and its parameters shouldn’t be altered if one wants to achieve the optimal fat loss coupled with muscle retention.

But I am asking for help for my personal situation. I may be wrong, but a modified V diet seems to be my best option. If I am wrong, and there is another way to achieve very fast fat loss, while maintaining as much of the little muscle I currently posssess, while playing basketball, please let me know, anyone.

Chris, Chad, any of the mods, if you think my post is better suited to another forum section, please let me know.

[quote]Scorched Soul wrote:
Yes, I did see that. I understand it.

My question is that, given that I AM going to play basketball, what can I do to best mitigate/counteract the muscle loss effects of the extra cardio?

I understand that my modified plan technically may mean that I’m not doing the actual Velocity diet anymore, but as I stated before, it would be a diet/programme closely based on the V diet and its principles, and I think that Chris, Chad and other V-dieters would be the people best placed to answer my original question. Which is why I am posting in this forum section.

I fully understand that the Velocity diet is a finely tuned programme, and its parameters shouldn’t be altered if one wants to achieve the optimal fat loss coupled with muscle retention.

But I am asking for help for my personal situation. I may be wrong, but a modified V diet seems to be my best option. If I am wrong, and there is another way to achieve very fast fat loss, while maintaining as much of the little muscle I currently posssess, while playing basketball, please let me know, anyone.

Chris, Chad, any of the mods, if you think my post is better suited to another forum section, please let me know.[/quote]

Take 10 BCAA tablets 5-10 minutes before and after you play basketball. Keep everything else the same.

Chad,

Thank you for your answer. Should I take some during as well, dependant on the length of time I play?? Will the 20 BCAA tablets provide enough extra calories and nutrients for recovery?

I expected that you would suggest a serving/ half serving of Surge Recovery afterwards, as one would take after a lifting session. Is there a reason you favour the BCAAs over the Surge Recovery in this instance?

Not questioning, just curious. Appreciate the help.

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.