Biotest

Ideal Weight for Being 5'10

okay where to begin…

From September 2014 to now, January 24th, 2015, I’ve lost 35lbs. The only real things I changed were, walking more at work, the odd workout here and there ( that replaced martial arts training and a whole day of playing paintball ), eating better, and taking Indigo 3G. I wholly believe in I3G now and as I’ve said before, I will be using this for as long as Biotest makes it, hopefully the rest of my life.

In December I hit about 30lbs of weight loss with just the above mentioned. The new year started and I started working out consistently 3 times a week, now three weeks in. And I’ve lost almost 5 or 6 more pounds, but started to slow down, as I think mineral retention started coming into effect. I used to lift like a bodybuilder, lots of volume. But that is still amazing and yes, I’m just convinced it’s mostly due to indigo 3G, it’s really the only new thing I’ve introduced to my body and program/way of life.

The first week back sucked, I was super weak but I am slowly making good progress. This has lead me thinking about a long term goal, mainly an ideal body weight at my height, it being 5,10. Now the Internet says I should not weigh more than 173lbs… 173lbs… I feel like I would have to sacrifice a lot of hard earned muscle, and maybe even performance, to make that an everyday body weight year round.

I googled Rich Froning after hearing someone talk about him, ( I believe an author from Tnation ), and it’s true, Rich is 5’10 and 195lbs and just looks like a ufc fighter ( amazing ). Is that a healthy body weight to maintain for as long as one can?

I guess what I’m trying to say and ask at the same time is, I want to find the optimal everything ( strength, general health, weight, performance, etc. ), at my height and age, for as long as humanly possible. I do not have big bones, I have an okay amount of muscle mass, but I am overweight ( by a lot ), and I just turned 38. My chosen sports are:

Hitting the gym
Brazilian jiu-jitsu
Paintball
Playing or should I say just trying to keep up with my one year old daughter
And keeping th wife happy

And if I stay on my current path, I think I’ll eventually fine tune everything, coupled with consistency, and reach some physical milestones that will pay dividends for my future. I will admit, if enough wel informed minds here told me that being 5’10 and 190lbs at 10 to 12% BF, or better, is healthy, even for long term, I would love to hear that. Please sound off and let me hear your thoughts.

I recently purchased Micro PA to give me a boost in adding muscle and losing BF, to at least get me to where I was strength wise, two years ago. Just adding that info. If I left any important info out, that would help, let me know. Thanks in advance!

First of all congrats on your progress. 35 lbs is a pretty serious improvement.

Now, you are likely referring to what has be wrongfully called “healthy weight” which is determined by calculating the ratio between height and weight. It’s called the Body Mass Index (BMI). A BMI of…

Less than 18.5 is considered underweight
Between 18.5 and 25 is considered normal
Between 25 and 30 is considered overweight
Above 30 is considered obese

At 5’10" a BMI of 25 is roughly 173-174lbs. So according to that chart, anything above 174 would be considered too high.

That is the theory.

And it’s complete bunk.

First the data used to establish what is “normal” was established using the general population, not people who train and make efforts (diet, training, supplements, etc.) to gain muscle and lose fat. It’s based on the average Joes.

Take two who are 210lbs on 5’10"…

Person A is an NFL running back with 8% body fat, trains daily
Person B is Average-Joe-Beer-Drinker with 25% body fat, eats crap and do not train

According to the BMI chart both are at a BMI of 30.1… and are considered obese. Do you really think that both are equally healthy?

Heck take two people…

Person A is our NFL running back (5’10", 210lbs, 8% body fat) who lifts weight, runs, eat well
Person B is 5’10", 170lbs but 25% body fat, eats fast food, do not exercise, etc.

By the BMI chart
Person A is considered “obese” and a health risk
Person B is considered “normal” with no elevation in health risks

Do you honestly believe that person B is healthier?!? Of course not!

Okay here’s another example…

Let’s say that someone is 5"10", 185lbs (BMI of 26.5 so “overweight”), 20% body fat, eats crap, is sedentary, drinks a lot of alcohol.

He decides to get in shape and turns his life around. He start lifting weights seriously and gains a lot of muscle, does sprints, hill sprints, rows, cuts alcohol and eats a healthy diet which makes him lose a lot of fat. He completely changes the way he looks. But he ends up at … 185lbs on 5’10"… however he is now at 10% body fat.

Well according to the BMI he is no better health-wise than he was before he started… does that make sense to you?

If you are serious about training and improving your body, ditch the “ideal weight/BMI” crap.

Just focus on getting leaner and adding muscle by eating right, training hard and using proper supplementation.

Thank you, great post and reply. Yes it makes perfect sense and I like the way you broke it down and the examples you used. I was a bit lost for words and direction of thought when I started pondering the subject. Again, thank you.

Quick question. So I am starting week 4 of going back to the gym. Is it too soon to start something like Micro PA? Should I wait till I regain some old “muscle memory”, so to speak? I do want to put back on some muscle, and the bottle says it will help with fat loss. Sounds like an ideal recompisition to me. I know the muscle I lost the past two years is gone, but I can get it back with hard work again, but the nerves are shall I say… rusty. It’s all quickly coming back though. My healthy way of eating isn’t really changing, but I will be adding in more protien if I’m going to be working hard like this. Plus I started craving animal protein again pretty much right after I started lifting again.

And I am still slowly working through the protein powder until I use it all, and eventually just stick to Plazma and Mag-10 for workouts. The rest of my protien will be coming mostly from vegetable sources, eggs, salmon, and vegan protein powder. I am drastically cutting out red meat and chicken, but occasionally will have either one.

[quote]GoodGrip wrote:
Thank you, great post and reply. Yes it makes perfect sense and I like the way you broke it down and the examples you used. I was a bit lost for words and direction of thought when I started pondering the subject. Again, thank you.

Quick question. So I am starting week 4 of going back to the gym. Is it too soon to start something like Micro PA? Should I wait till I regain some old “muscle memory”, so to speak? I do want to put back on some muscle, and the bottle says it will help with fat loss. Sounds like an ideal recompisition to me. I know the muscle I lost the past two years is gone, but I can get it back with hard work again, but the nerves are shall I say… rusty. It’s all quickly coming back though. My healthy way of eating isn’t really changing, but I will be adding in more protien if I’m going to be working hard like this. Plus I started craving animal protein again pretty much right after I started lifting again.

And I am still slowly working through the protein powder until I use it all, and eventually just stick to plazma and mag10 for workouts. The rest of my protien will be coming mostly from vegetable sources, eggs, salmon, and vegan protein powder. I am drastically cutting out red meat and chicken, but occasionally will have either one.[/quote]

What MICRO-PA does is amplify your body’s response to training. So if you can train hard, regardless of your level of capacities at the moment, it will make your training more effective and will make you gain muscle faster. So I personally see no problem in using it right away.

Very cool, I may start it tomorrow. I’ll start reading more about it. I take it that some basically use it like a pre-workout supplement? From what I read, you take it pre anyways, and it gives a noticeable boost.

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.